• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What are the psychological and physical similarities of Mescaline and Psilocybin?

Leaf Breeze

Greenlighter
I've done mushrooms before and feel like I have a general grasp of how they effect you and reasons behind it. I'm interested in the effects of peyote. I probably wouldn't try pure Mescaline. Could someone explain how common peyote is in America?

I'm interested in the physical way it works (as in how it effects the brain, what areas are effected, ect) and it's psychological effects such as if its more intense than mushrooms or how long it lasts (heard it can last for 2 days), its visual, feelings, and emotional impact ect.

Short term and long term effects. All possibilities.

I'd like to hear the most unbiased scientifically analysis. I've heard a lot of mixed data. First count insights would also be interesting.

Well peyote is not very common at all in America. You really need to have good connections for psychedelics which are not always easy to find but that's all I can say about that. Physically? It's like shrooms where there is a lot more tactile sensations but nothing too overwhelming.

Peyote has an amazing spiritual feeling to it, hence the use by shamans, and it opens your mind in ways comparable to acid and DMT and the like. It's definitely worth trying if you get the chance. Visually it's a lot more subtle compared to LSD, more like mescaline obviously if your familiar with those kinds of effects. I don't know where u heard it sometimes lasts 2 days, maybe with redosing of course, but a normal peyote trip is like 6-8 hours total.

I can't answer all your questions as I've only done this amazing psychoactive a handful of times but I can tell u I felt lucky to have the chance. Short term effects are definitely not toxic or anything and I don't think long term effects are either because of how many shamans use it and have had trips into the hundreds with it.

Well peyote is not very common at all in America. You really need to have good connections for psychedelics which are not always easy to find but that's all I can say about that. Physically? It's like shrooms where there is a lot more tactile sensations but nothing too overwhelming.

Peyote has an amazing spiritual feeling to it, hence the use by shamans, and it opens your mind in ways comparable to acid and DMT and the like. It's definitely worth trying if you get the chance. Visually it's a lot more subtle compared to LSD, more like mescaline obviously if your familiar with those kinds of effects. I don't know where u heard it sometimes lasts 2 days, maybe with redosing of course, but a normal peyote trip is like 6-8 hours total.

I can't answer all your questions as I've only done this amazing psychoactive a handful of times but I can tell u I felt lucky to have the chance. Short term effects are definitely not toxic or anything and I don't think long term effects are either because of how many shamans use it and have had trips into the hundreds with it.

I've never done anything but shrooms and pot. I probably wont ever do LSD, seems a bit too powerful. I'm interested in the spiritual effects.

But that being said, I'm a very rational person. I'm interested in learning the effects on the brain and how it works specifically.

Thanks for the information you've provided, let me know if you can provide more about its biochemistry.

I've never done anything but shrooms and pot. I probably wont ever do LSD, seems a bit too powerful. I'm interested in the spiritual effects.

But that being said, I'm a very rational person. I'm interested in learning the effects on the brain and how it works specifically.

Thanks for the information you've provided, let me know if you can provide more about its biochemistry.
LSD is in no way more powerful than mushrooms, unless you're talking about dosage. I find mushrooms to be considerably more overwhelming than LSD.

LSD is in no way more powerful than mushrooms, unless you're talking about dosage. I find mushrooms to be considerably more overwhelming than LSD.

Really? I've generally heard the opposite from people. Perhaps its hard to judge dosage with LSD and people over do it? I'm not a good judge of this sort of thing considering I've only done one psychedelic ever. Isn't there more risks with LSD? Sorry I'm not well educated. I'm not close minded, I'm far from it, but there is a lot of propaganda that sticks with you.

Thanks for any information you can provide. I'm interested in learning more, but I don't take things on the spur of the moment, I like to be informed and confident. Even if I dont plan on trying something, I've been interested in the brain for as long as I can remember. I find this stuff extremely interesting, and I've been trying to learn as much as I can. But unfortunately there are so many mixed messages.

Risks of LSD usage and risks of mushroom usage are identical. Neither is particularly physically toxic. Different people prefer different substances, but I've always found LSD much more comfortable. I find mushrooms more overwhelming and sometimes physically uncomfortable. For me at least, LSD is a much more enjoyable experience. I also find LSD substantially more spiritual, but that's just my personal opinion.

But I would highly recommend that you do more research on the topic yourself. You're the final arbiter of what is going to be right for you.

Also, to add something on topic, I don't think you would find mescaline and mushrooms to be very similar at all. Yes, they're both psychedelic drugs. However, one is a tryptamine and one is a phenethylamine. Their receptor affinity is different and most people who have tried at least several psychedelics will probably tell you that it's like trying to compare apples and oranges.

First off peyote is pretty much extinct in the wild and to buy it you're talking about £60 each per button - (don't get the cheaper young peyote thinking you've found a great deal - they don't contain any mescaline so you have to wait another 15 years). Plus you need a minimum of 6-10 (the more experienced indians take upwards of 30). So unless you've found a patch in the wild and you don't mind extinction or you're an eccentric millionaire who can afford hundreds of bucks a trip, you arn't going to be taking peyote any time soon.

What you need to be looking at to get mescaline is san pedro or peruvian torch. They're better than peyote anyway - only have about 6 inactive alkaloids where peyote has about 60 which are liable to make you sick as a dog. Eating peruvian torch/pedro will make you sick as a dog anyway. The only way of enjoying mescaline without incredible nausea is doing a full A/B extraction.

There's no similarity with psilocybin. Mescaline is a completely different drug. It's the most gentle and least psychedelic - far less overwhelming than mushrooms. Unless you really massively push the dose (1gram or more) you'll just feel a gentle enhancement of colour, particularly in the green spectrum when out in nature, there's also a really nice stimulant effect - kind of similar to MDMA but a lot gentler and more subtle. It's great for music.

It's worth trying once or twice - but only if you do the A/B extraction to eliminate the nausea and the medieval torture that is trying to drink a cup of cactus snot. I can't tell you how bad and difficult that is. I've seen people spend hundreds of pounds on getting cactus and extracting it only to take their first gulp, gip, put the cup back down (with a string of cactus snot still suspended from the cup to their mouth) and say "Fuck that".

If you can't do an A/B extraction on cactus the best alternative is the drug DOM - at 6mg it's pretty much exactly like mescaline.

First off peyote is pretty much extinct in the wild and to buy it you're talking about £60 each per button - (don't get the cheaper young peyote thinking you've found a great deal - they don't contain any mescaline so you have to wait another 15 years). Plus you need a minimum of 6-10 (the more experienced indians take upwards of 30). So unless you've found a patch in the wild and you don't mind extinction or you're an eccentric millionaire who can afford hundreds of bucks a trip, you arn't going to be taking peyote any time soon.

What you need to be looking at to get mescaline is san pedro or peruvian torch. They're better than peyote anyway - only have about 6 inactive alkaloids where peyote has about 60 which are liable to make you sick as a dog. Eating peruvian torch/pedro will make you sick as a dog anyway. The only way of enjoying mescaline without incredible nausea is doing a full A/B extraction.

There's no similarity with psilocybin. Mescaline is a completely different drug. It's the most gentle and least psychedelic - far less overwhelming than mushrooms. Unless you really massively push the dose (1gram or more) you'll just feel a gentle enhancement of colour, particularly in the green spectrum when out in nature, there's also a really nice stimulant effect - kind of similar to MDMA but a lot gentler and more subtle. It's great for music.

It's worth trying once or twice - but only if you do the A/B extraction to eliminate the nausea and the medieval torture that is trying to drink a cup of cactus snot. I can't tell you how bad and difficult that is. I've seen people spend hundreds of pounds on getting cactus and extracting it only to take their first gulp, gip, put the cup back down (with a string of cactus snot still suspended from the cup to their mouth) and say "Fuck that".

If you can't do an A/B extraction on cactus the best alternative is the drug DOM - at 6mg it's pretty much exactly like mescaline.

Ah interesting! I've heard a lot of tolerances were similar between psychoactive drugs so I figured they all had, at least, a great deal in common in their effects. I didn't realize they were so different. I'll have to do some reading on the other things you mentioned, you'd provided me with a lot :)

Thanks for your time. Everyone is very helpful here! haha

Last edited:
Also, to add something on topic, I don't think you would find mescaline and mushrooms to be very similar at all. Yes, they're both psychedelic drugs. However, one is a tryptamine and one is a phenethylamine. Their receptor affinity is different and most people who have tried at least several psychedelics will probably tell you that it's like trying to compare apples and oranges.

I had no idea they were so different. I guess I just naturally assumed that since there was much cross tolerance between psychoactive that they had very similar effects. I hardly had anything bad with my experience except for overdosing and thus not being able to sleep for a long period of time. I'll probably stick with mushrooms for the time being as it's what I know what to expect. But if the time arises I'll have a better idea of what to expect with others.

Thanks for your time!

I have not tried peyote, but did San Pedro, which was very much 2C-B like, pretty speedy. That is, not even closely resembling mushrooms.

So many differnet opinions!! Wow. LSD is definitely less demanding psychologically than mushrooms. Mescaline is even less so than LSD. I find that LSD and Mescaline are more "lucid" and visually "electric". Whereas mushroom visuals are more pronounced in visual distortions like micropsia, macropsia, depth perception distorions. Now theres definitely patterns and all that good stuff, but youre so fucked out of your head and out of your body that you can barely pay attention. LSD is visually the most rewarding but mescaline comes in second for me. Mescaline generally lasts 14-16 hours, Lsd 8-12 and mushrooms 5-7. I find that mushrooms leaves me with the least after affects and is easiest to fall asleep soon after tripping while the other too leave me with insomnia. Mushrooms and mescaline are very spiritually rewarding while LSD is great for introspection and recreation in common doses. Its pretty much the "perfect" psychedelic. Its very well rounded and it would be my favorite and totally was my favorite when I was younger but I try and use psychs medicinally now and LSD doesn't cut it..leaves me feeling fried not cleansed like psilocybin. Mescaline too is recreational in "normal" dose range. Mushrooms are hardly recreational at all. But too answer your main question, they are all powerful. Mushrooms are bar-none the most difficult to handle but have the most benefits for me. Although Ive only done cacti 10 times or so. Im yet to try DMT/aya but Ive heard from reliable sources that its nearly identical to psilocybin so Im in no hurry. After all 4-ho-DMT (psilocybin) is just an orally active "type" of DMT

Peyote can be cultivated though grafting that reduces the time considerably. Was under the understanding that peyote has the highest mescaline content and that every cactus that has a white nocturnal flower is high in mescaline and every cactus has a certain amount of mescaline(tequila, mezcal) the nickname for san pedro is poor mans peyote. The native were observed by the Spanish dancing around and purging themselves, but the Spanish did not understand that peyote had been taken and the natives knew they could purge themselves and have a nausea free trip. Thankyou ismene, I now have an idea how many buttons to consume. The thread High Dosage Mescaline Experiences
although mainly about pure mescaline gives a bit of an incite or drink a lot of Mezcal it tastes better

Ismene, San Pedro and Peruvian Torch being "better" than Peyote is totally a subjective judgment. To me, Peyote is better--the nausea/body effects are one in the same with the psychological cleansing power. If you can't recognize the connections between the body symptoms and the mind effects, that's your loss.

If you consider nausea a positive then that's ok. I'd prefer not to vomit my guts up if I can help it.

You don't "vomit your guts up," you vomit stuff that you've been holding onto for way too long. Are you not familiar with the countless reports of healing purges from Ayahuasca and Peyote?

In Peyote-eating circles, they call throwing up "getting well." At first it sounded ridiculous to me, but after having tried it, it made perfect sense. One often feels markedly better after a psychedelic throw-up, and it's not just because the plant chemicals made you sick. The plant chemicals allow you to experience your own pre-existing sickness.

I've never believed in the purge no. I don't believe in vomiting when you're high and I don't get anything emotional out of it. If i need emotional catharsis I think crying is more effective and safer.

Mescaline makes me puke my ring out. Shrooms don't. Mescaline tastes far worse if brewed in a tea vs shrooms. You need far more pure Mescaline HCL to trip balls 200-400 mgs vs say 10-20 mg for psilocybin. Both make you trip balls but the subjective effects differ. Even different individuals dosing the same compound will have slightly different subjective experiences. I guess the best way to subjectively quantify the differences is to try them both yourself.

BTW "puke your ring up" is a colloquial expression meaning to purge one's stomach contents and possibly some bile and other gastric fluids.