• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Ptsd and meds.

beastman

Greenlighter
I'm still new here and on this kind of forum so I wasn't exactly sure where to put this thread. If its needs to be moved my apologies to mods and admin.

I suffer from ptsd and while I do all I can to manage it in natural ways (exercise, prayer/meditation, talking to spouse, natural things: gaba, valraien root) I still have a ton of anxiety and anger problems time to time.

I currently take 20mg of lexapro daily for ptsd, I take a blood pressure med, but that is the only drugs/med. I take. I occasionally smoke mary-j and it helps very much, but it is not legal for medical purposes where I live.

I realize I am going to need to go to a counselor/psychiatrist because I have done all I know tto do and need help with it. So my question is, what medications have helped you in the past and why?

^hi OP may i ask how long have you had ptsd and what caused this to happen. I have read on some of the posts here on BL that cognitive behavioural therapy has helped them so before going into taking another medication try this option first and see if it helps. How extreme is it and do you get a lot of panic attacks everyday?

I dont have panic attacks everyday. Its not like that it ranges from no symptoms at all some days to all day events one after another.

I've had pstd my entire life from young childhood and had gotten worse after a car wreck a few years ago in which I died and was revived.

I'm currently trying to find a therapy doctor. I was just asking about anyone who had experience with ptsd and/or anxiety what med. had worked for them as a reference to think about. I'm not someone who will just put anything into their body, thats why I asked so if prescribed something else I could hear some personal experience rather than just read studies on it.

As for the pot thing, I would think it will be pretty much impossible to find any worthwhile info. online about it, unless it was to be legalized for medical use. Big pharma has too much money to lose to let anything good be published about that subject.

It may be helpful to read about PTG or "Post Traumatic Growth".

Everyone is different. Some of the PTG ideas helped me to be more positive.

Lexapro made my anxiety levels go through the roof and I was on half your dose. If this med works your PTSD, im glad for you.
No meds really worked for me except opiates and I would never recommend that, so instead of telling you what worked, Ill tell you what doesn't ..
STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM BENZOS. Getting off lexapro just gave me brain zaps and body surges. Getting off benzos can kill you long term if done wrong and cause mental problems from hell.

Drugs will only make whatever you are feeling worse. There is no better way to solve you problems and I believe you should try everything else before thinking of going down with meds. It´s not worth it and it can´t help you.

^That's a bit of a strong statement.

Street drugs don't help but prescriptions may if they're carefully doled out by a competent doctor.

I think one of the problems is, street drugs help A LOT and then like all drugs, they lose potency and cause dependence. The street drugs are obviously worse because you often don't know what the hell you're ingesting .

As far as I have the childhood severe abuse type of PTSD too that started right after I was diagnosed with my first manic episode and ADHD and it was because I couldn't say anything to anyone without my mom accusing me of being manic. Even when I was molested they did nothing about it. I get the rages and it can cause my mania to kick off (and not the fun ones either). I am learning something called Nonviolent Communication and it teaches compassion and empathy for oneself and others . I was sent to a group called DBT but it was for people with the same problem my mother had and I was in a robot state and creeped some out and some were infatuated with me so I didn't last there, I was scared to death of those women. It was one part mindfulness and the rest seemed like common sense. I read about something called Complex PTSD and I know a lot won't change but I also rage and go into the hyper defense stage, especially if I am having a rough week and someone says my emotions are manic because those last a long time and I am far from a rapid cycler so I get set off when it isn't the case. For my other issues I rely on Lamictal and Dexedrine but for emergencies I have Haldol and Ativan.. I take klonopin if their will be thunderstorms but I try to manage my states. I get more anger and will go on obsessive witch hunts when people seem manipulative and I can sort of wind that down well better on Dexedrine for ADHD but it still happens. I have to live with the after effects. A lot of it is a distrust of people, cops did nothing for me so I don't like then. SSRIs are an instant manic episode within a week so I can't go there.

I saw a show about pot and ptsd, a canadien study showed that pot was effective in treatment because it helps people "forget" zoloft is very effective on anxiety as long as you have the chemical where with all to support it. there are also many other ssri' to customize to your needs. I would not got with pot, it's a very dirty delivery system when smoked.

I have complex PTSD and after 15 years of drugs of every kind failing I found simple medications that help a lot.
One is clomipramine, I take about 250mg day, really helped with depression and anxiety.
The second is prazosin an antihypertensive. I take 2mg at night and it really helps with panic and flashbacks.