• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Recreational use of dopamine agonists

zenografia

Greenlighter
Anti-Parkinson drugs that replace dopamine (levodopa/carbidopa--Sinemet) or that act like dopamine (ie dopamine agonists like ropinirole, mirapex or bromocriptine) enhance motor activity by activating the nigro-striatal dopamine system. However, feelings of pleasure are also activated by these agents via the mesolimbic dopamine system. I want to know if any readers of Bluelight (that do not suffer from Parkinson's Disease) have experience with these drugs as recreational substances....ie do they alter consciousness, enhance feelings of well-being (produce euphoria). Do they make you high? I understand some individuals experience an aphrodisiac effect from these medications and may use them to enhance sexual pleasure. Others use them in a body-building regimen. I would like to learn others' experiences.

this question has been asked before. i think you really need to look into the side effects of these drugs if you are to use them recreationally. many of them have extremely potent anti-cholinergic affinities which tends to lead to unwanted side effects.

i've tried many of these anti-parkinson drugs and i've reached the same conclusion with each. too many side effects, too little reward. so risk outweighs the reward.

homeless -> basic

I think that there are much more significant effects at play when we look at the striatal dopamine system.

Levodopa and dopamine agonists do not act on cholinergic receptors. The drugs that act on dopamine receptors produce a range of adverse effects that includes nausea, vomiting, low blood pressure (and syncopal episodes) and visual hallucinations. With chronic use, these drugs also can trigger compulsions (ranging from sexual compulsions to pathological gambling). None of these effects is related to the cholinergic receptors. A much older line of drugs, first used in the 19th century to treat PD were anti-cholinergic drugs.
First in use were extracts of belladonna alkaloids (still used by intrepid or naive recreational users to alter consciousness and by Shamans of the amazon to promote healing visions). Later in the 20th century, synthetic anti-cholinergic drugs (antagonizing the muscarinic sub-type abundenat in the basal ganglia) were developed and continue to be used (artane, cogentin) as an adjunct treatment (along with levodopa) for PD.

I should clarify that my interest in learning whether readers of Bluelight use dopaminergic drugs recreationally is because there is an academic question concerning the reinforcing effects and development of dependence on these drugs. Certainly patients with PD develop a "dependence" on these medications because without them their life would be difficult. However, we know that some individuals with PD use excessive amounts (more than required for relief of motor symptoms) because they experience a feeling of well-being, if not frank euphoria with high doses. So I wondered why more healthy people are not using these agents for promoting feelings of well-being. My guess has always been that the adverse effects, especially when first using them, turn people off. (nausea, dysphoria, dizziness on standing etc). You can read my paper on this question entitled "The Straight Dope on Addiction to Dopamimetic Drugs" in Movement Disorders, Vol. 17, No. 1, 2001

anti-parkinsonian drugs (dopaminergic agonists) often have anti-cholinergic effects.

I take mirapex as part of a cocktail of meds to deal with treatment resistant depression, I also have add. I was excited about the concept as I assumed it would play a role in adding some level of euphoria to the add meds I was taking. I take the highest dose 1.5mg tid. With or without the add meds (ritalin, adderall, vyvanse) mirapex makes no difference to my mood at all as a result I rarely take it. :( I have heard anecdotal evidence it is used in the bodybuilding community.