• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Kratom Sickness - why?

velmwend

Bluelighter
Bleuurghhh!

I was looking forward to trying Kratom, and when I began to feel a warm contentedness from 6 filled '00' gel capsules (approx 3g) of Red Thai, I was like, "Heyyy, this is going to be goooood." So I settled down on the couch - I slid down into the couch and enjoyed the first waves of warmth passing through my body. But one and a half hours in, I started to feel irritable, uncomfortable and ill. Waves of nausea started to wash over me and I had to go to bed and lie down. I felt like I'd drank too much alcohol and was about to throw up.

I suffered a fitful, nauseating sleep all night, and this morning I'm so tired and have a headache. So much for the 'good sleep pack'.

Does anyone know why that deep warmth so quickly changed to illness? This was my first time trying Kratom.

Sounds like a mild overdose to me too, try less next time. Kratom shouldn't be too overwhelming from what I've heard, but I've never tried it myself.

It does sound like you should try a bit less next time, as the saying goes - you can always take more but never less.

Thanks guys. There's a possibility I could have overdosed. It's a fine powder so maybe the capsules take more than I thought. Gonna try again tonight, with less :)

I had a similar reaction to an enhanced red, was it plain leaf for sure? That's definitely something that can happen on kratom but not usually at so low a dose.

I think it's just a plain leaf, Dolddrugs. No mention of any enhancements. Well tonight I tried only 2g and made a hot tea. I didn't experience any nausea but I didn't experience much in the way of effects either. Will try capped 3g again tonight.

I take fairly large doses of kratom daily (much larger than 3g for sure). I would take 8-9g 3 to 4 times daily, sometimes more. The relaxation and euphoric effects of kratom had long ago disappeared for me due to daily tolerance. Then a few months ago I ran out of kratom and was going through withdrawals and discovered I had a bag of kratom extract that was high potency (though the exact potency wasn't indicated). I took 0.4g of it just hoping to stave off the WDs. For the first time in months I felt the warmth and relaxation and euphoria of kratom, my eyes kept closing and I fell into a deep restful sleep. But fast forward an hour or so later and I was sick as hell, nausea, dizziness, and eventually non-stop vomiting. I laid down breathing deeply trying to calm myself down and just feel normal but eventually I felt the urge to hurl, got vomit all over my bedsheets. The vomiting getting some of the kratom extract out made me feel a bit better (though I also threw up my dinner) but I still felt awful and just passed out after that. As a daily kratom user it was a bit surprising to me, but I had a kratom overdose. It sounds like you went through the same sort of ordeal, so I would assume you had an overdose. It's a bit surprising to me that you would OD on only 3g of plain leaf kratom. Even a total newbie to kratom shouldn't OD on such a small amount of plain leaf. Are you absolutely sure it wasn't an extract or enhanced in any way? Maybe you just have a very high sensitivity to kratom and it won't work for you. My suggestion then, if you really would like to experience kratom, is to start small, take tiny doses each day to expose your body to it and get used to it, even if you don't feel the effects. Then eventually you can work your way up to a dose that is effective.

On a possible related note to that suggestion, after my OD experience with less than half of a gram of high-potency extract, when I got some regular plain leaf kratom in the mail the next day, I got sick and threw up just from taking my normal plain leaf dose. Apparently I had developed a sensitivity to kratom from that bad experience where my body associated kratom as some sort of toxin, and it took a while taking small doses before I was back to normal.

I was never too found of Thai strains when I was taking kratom. I always just stuck with my vendor's "bali" which is more relaxing. Take the strain names with a grain of salt though, never really know how a new batch will treat you until you try it. Thai never made me nauseous but it would make me irritable.

Sounds like you took too much but that is a very small amount for plain leaf. When I first ordered kratom, being stupid, I kept eating the powder over the course of a hour or so wanting to feel something strong. So probably got down 30-40grams of plain leaf with basically no tolerance. Shit was horrible, I never felt like I was going to puke but I had the worst dizziness and overall shitty feeling. Was half asleep yet couldn't fall asleep, and then had to go to work in the early am. Kratom effects everyone differently. I loved it yet most of my friends either didn't feel anything or got sick like you did.

Sounds EXACTLY like you took a little too much- whatever you think you have gram wise, don't worry about it, just eyeball a 1/2 of what you took before, sounds like a lot to take off but if you felt it that much than trust me 1/2 of that should still do you in just fine.

Did the same exact thing when i first took kratom ahahaha, a half of that dose and i felt perfect and went on to take kratom for the next couple months haha

Thanks guys. I really don't know what to make of Kratom. I tried 3g in a tea, felt hardly anything. Last night I tossed and washed 5g borneo red, felt some tingling in my face, nothing much else. Took another 2g before bed and I slept fitfully. Apart from the first night, when I felt an initial warmth followed by the nausea, I've hardly felt anything.

I think you're right liftedgift - I don't think kratom is gonna work for me. I've still got a good 60g red vein to work through so I may aswell experiment and see if I can find a method that pays off.

Try the same dose and ROA you did the first night that made you sick.
Shitty experiment i know, but see if it does it again.
If not sick, you'll most likely be left with the pleasurable effects.
If you DO get sick again, than i think you have found the max dose you can take and lower from there until at a good level.
Trial and error my friend, trial and error.

-HOOD

Oh kratom, my complex relationship. I recently went 5 weeks without kratom since I don't order more kratom until I run out and my package took forever to arrive from Indonesia. But as usual, since I've gone through this abstinence while awaiting a package before, I assumed that my lowered tolerance would make the experience better when the package finally arrived. Nope. My experience repeatedly is that the first week I take kratom after not doing it for a while the experience is not great. I feel like I either take too little or too much. I've realized that I need a tolerance to enjoy kratom. So you probably took too much but also it's possible you are like me and won't be able to enjoy it until you have a tolerance. It's very much like other opioids in that way, it's best when it's a habit and you wake up looking forward to your daily dose. Just my experience tho.

Thanks guys. I really don't know what to make of Kratom. I tried 3g in a tea, felt hardly anything. Last night I tossed and washed 5g borneo red, felt some tingling in my face, nothing much else. Took another 2g before bed and I slept fitfully. Apart from the first night, when I felt an initial warmth followed by the nausea, I've hardly felt anything.

I think you're right liftedgift - I don't think kratom is gonna work for me. I've still got a good 60g red vein to work through so I may aswell experiment and see if I can find a method that pays off.

Less than 10g plain leaf does nothing for me. Obviously after getting sick off 3g that's not a great idea, though. Tea never worked for me.

Thanks for all your good advice but I've thrown it away. I had a couple of teaspoons in a tea yesterday and suffered approx 5 hours sickness and skin irritation. I think I'm allergic to it. I couldn't move, couldn't eat, drink, I had to lie down and stare at the ceiling all afternoon and early evening until the dizziness and nausea had passed. It's annoying because I experienced an initial pleasurable phase again, for approx 1 hour, when I felt the positive side to kratom - probably the side everyone loves - but it's not worth it for me - not if I'm going to snowball into sickness. Ah well, onto the next drug :)