• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Most effective antidepressants

I forgot to mention Lamotrigine. I currently take 200mg's of it a day for bipolar and i find that it started helping my bipolar depression way before it started acting as a mood stabilizer and anti-manic. It really has helped my bipolar disorder more then any drug I've been on as it stopped those godawful mixed states and i no longer get rapid cycling. Not to mention it's one of the very few psych meds I've taken that gave me no side effects.

They use it along side traditional anti-depressants in treating major depression that is resistant to anti-depressants alone.

Hello all-

I've been clinically depressed since I was little. Then in my twenties, I started thinking about suicide. My then fiancé got me to a psychiatrist fast and that started the long climb from tricyclics like amitryptaline through almost ALL the SSRIs to Effexor. It worked great for a few years, then our lives started getting a lot harder and I was losing ground. Life was only shades of grey and though my marriage was perfect, I couldn't shake wanting to be dead. I didn't really want to kill myself, as that traumatizes the people left behind, not to mention the hassle of getting rid of all your stuff, I just wanted to not be here.

Then in my forties I started to fail again and the doc put me on the newest and best - Cymbalta.

When I was 51 my husband was diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer, and I lost it. I called the doctor and told him that I'll stay as long as my husband is alive, but I want very badly to die. He added Abilify to the mix.

And though my tidy suicide due to carbon monoxide poisoning in the back of my truck is all planned out, the Abilify made a HUGE difference. My husband stays for me and I live for him. He's going on eight years with stage 4, metastasized, mCRPC, a feat he achieves with a very positive happy attitude, and our intense love. I won't let him go and he wants me to live.

I strongly vote for Cymbalta and Abilify.

^Good for you. If you're feeling suicidal please call your nearest police station. And tell your therapist/doctor about your plan. Please.

Dear ho chi-

You are very sweet. Thank you for your care. I assure you, if I ever get close, I'll try to get out of it first. As I have before. I'm here as long as my husband is, that's for sure.

Thank you

I find it interesting the varieties that the human brain comes in. By that I mean, look at all the different drugs that have been made because peoples brains vary SO MUCH, that what woks for one is practically toxic to another. Case in point: for me SSRI's Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, etc make me violent, aggressive, and prone to tonic-clonic seizures. My list:
1. Desipramine (an old, but very effective drug)
2. Effexor
3. Tramadol (Technically not a psych med, REALLY lifts my mood when depressed)
4. Amitryptiline ( a classic )
5 Valium (Again, for me, the oldies work best)

THIS IS A MOST INTERESTING THREAD, I WILL CONTINUE TO FOLLOW IT

im currently reading a very interesting book about the brain, it is a marvelous piece of software indeed.
More interesting is that it is a tool that you can change and use, to choose how you experience life.
For example, when youve made your brains believe you are a failure, it will trigger emotions that will cause you think 'i cant do this, i knew this would happen etc.'.
However when these emotions occur but you think 'oh i didnt do it correctly, i can do it, tomorrow ill do it again but right this time', you brain will start to connect the fitting emotions to the thoughts, so when you keep on doing this, and you fail at at something again, instead of feelings of dispare or hopelesness, it will make you have feelings of willpower and determination, followed by healthy thoughts that make you keep on going to do it right and make things better.
No brain is the same, we create our own by living and experiencing while connecting thoughts and feelings to it, and no damage is irreversible (although a gunshot to the brain wouldnt be too good ;) ) because the brain will find new ways around or through it to make things work again.
So therefore we all need different meds when we need them, some dont even need them with enough willpower and positive thinking.

on topic, ive been on mirtazapine (only works as a sleeping aid for me, no anti depressant), wellbutrin (made me violent) and prozac (no effect what so ever) and now i am on effexor 225 for GAD and suicidal depressions.
Works like a charm, no side effects apart from headaches from time to time.

I don't think one anti-depressant is necessarily better than another. If you're strictly talking about efficacy then there are some that might be better than others but when you take into account health risks, finding the best one for the individual just takes trial and error.

For me its cymbalta and seroquel. The cymbalta gave me balance and the seroquel made sure I got the rest that I needed. I also agree with tramadol

exactly what aboe poster said, the problem is what works for one person could kill another or be totally ineffective. its just a crazy guessing game. but if ur gonna try anti depressents make sure u do it under supervision with a physician, thats not something u wanna try on the street.

Ketamine is by far the best and the longest-lasting antidepressant that has worked for me in the past. One k-trip would crush my depression almost instantly and would keep me happy for months thereafter. Just need to be sure in your source, to know that what you're getting is the actual K and not some "bath salt". Google ketamine and depression.

Anything disobeying the law is not recommended. Not to mention the dose is unspecified. They do have trials for ketamine in treating resistant depression though.

Mirtazapine works best for me. I've tried a few S.S.R.I's and they gave me horrible side effects, but mirtazapine keeps my mood level and helps me sleep. The only down side is that if you take more than 15mg a day it's very easy to put on weight.