• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How can I make this annoying mouth cut in corner of mouth heal faster?

Berdo tm1

Bluelighter
This shit is a real bitch. It happend AGAIN form eating salt and venegar pringles. It's like a paper cut right on the crease of the lips where they join bottom and top. Due the the proximity it means it keeps on splitting the scab when I open my mouth too much and thus reopening the wound prevenitng it from healing.

I really hate myself because this happens every time I eat pringles and I hardly ever eat them but it had been over a year and I thought maybe it was coincidence it hapend before. I felt like shit after eating them and loe and behold had this fucking crap on my mouth over a week now.

I tried vitamin b complex supplementing and also adding iron but neitehr are increasing the heal speed.

What else can I do?

Also is it true a cut heals faster if it doesnt scar over? I was reading several sources saying that. I also read that when a cit is dry it means that bacteria can multiply faster as they have more food. This is bullshit tho right? because isnt it the otehr way round? Its general knowledge that when somethign is wet it causes mould etc to grow, and for isntance you dry food and drugs etc to make them keep and not grow stuff on them. So that sounds like bullshit.

Anyhow what else can I do to aid the healing? I would otherwise forget about a cut and let it heal in its own time but due to it being constantly irritated its a real nuisance. Kind of like a hemmoroid in that sense when the trouble area is constantly being aggravated to stymy the healing process.

I get small cuts in the same area, mostly in the winter when the weather is dry. The drier your skin is (salt dries it), the more likely it is to break.

Just be patient and apply a hydrating cream.

but if its already broken is it better to be dry or wet to heal it?

From what i was reading it should be wet to actually prevent scabbing since scabbing slows healing by 50%.

Advising a solution or cure for the OP's condition is complicated by the lack of specificity in the provided description.

A cut, sore, ulcer, rhagades, fissure, etc., on or near the labial commissure of the mouth (i.e., the corner of the mouth or the angle formed at the juncture of the upper and lower lip) is a nonspecific symptom. Thus it is not possible to make a diagnosis on the basis of just this issue.

Because the symptom has no single possible etiology nor is specific to just one disorder, a precise solution or remedy cannot be derived with any degree of certainty.

My reasoned opinion is that you have angular cheilitis (also called perlèche or commissural cheilitis). This is a fairly common condition, and is innocuous in nearly all cases, except when severe, frequent, inordinately painful, interferes with one's quality of life, or is chronic. Your case appears to be the benign and ubiquitous type.

The causes of angular cheilitis are manifold. Fortunately, there are only two two causes of the condition for the overwhelming majority of cases of angular cheilitis, and each of the two are easy to fix.

The first cause is a bacterial or fungal infection, which can be successfully treated with a prescribed antibiotic or antifungal drug. The second cause is xerostomia (dry mouth) or insufficient lubrication of the lips.

The former cause seems implausible in this case and is unlikely to be your issue.

The latter, however, seems highly likely. You mentioned in the OP that the problem only presents after your eating of foods with a high salt or vinegar content. Salt (i.e., sodium) is a desiccant (an agent that causes dryness). This is why drinking sea water can cause dehydration, or why dousing salt on a slug or snail shrivels it up and kills it—it zaps the vitally important moisture from its body's slime which results in its death.

The salt is drying out your lips and this in turn causes the cuts or angular cheilitis.

So, what is the solution? My advice is either a) consume less salt, b) consume more water, c) apply a lubricant to your lips and the cut, or d) all of the above. Option d is obviously the more preferable and presumably efficacious of the bunch.

Doing any of the advice posited above should fix the problem within a few days. If, however, the issue persists or worsens despite following my advice, see a doctor.

And if you have any remaining questions or concerns regarding this or a related issue or about my comment in general, do not hesitate to ask them to me. I'll address them as best as I am able.

—Nom de Plume

Last edited:
I'm not sure but manuka honey is said to help with wound healing. But on such a location it may be difficult to keep applied.

Nom's post contains probably the best advice. Consume less salt, more water... Use some kind of lubricant. Maybe coconut oil as it has healing properties as well.

I had something like this, but more on the bottom lip than the corner. Still close. I got it from flossing when my lips were dry, and the string kept cutting into it. That and constant stretching. I think it lasted months. But I never used coconut oil. I had some luck with hemp seed oil but considering I flossed daily I kept reinjuring it.

Last edited:
I joined this site to say this:

This is the most pretentious thing I've ever seen on the internet. If you want to be smart, just be smart. People notice. Smart people come off as smart. Douches come off as douches. You're a douche.

Advising a solution or cure for the OP's condition is complicated by the lack of specificity in the provided description.

A cut, sore, ulcer, rhagades, fissure, etc., on or near the labial commissure of the mouth (i.e., the corner of the mouth or the angle formed at the juncture of the upper and lower lip) is a nonspecific symptom. Thus it is not possible to make a diagnosis on the basis of just this issue.

Because the symptom has no single possible etiology nor is specific to just one disorder, a precise solution or remedy cannot be derived with any degree of certainty.

My reasoned opinion is that you have angular cheilitis (also called perlèche or commissural cheilitis). This is a fairly common condition, and is innocuous in nearly all cases, except when severe, frequent, inordinately painful, interferes with one's quality of life, or is chronic. Your case appears to be the benign and ubiquitous type.

The causes of angular cheilitis are manifold. Fortunately, there are only two two causes of the condition for the overwhelming majority of cases of angular cheilitis, and each of the two are easy to fix.

The first cause is a bacterial or fungal infection, which can be successfully treated with a prescribed antibiotic or antifungal drug. The second cause is xerostomia (dry mouth) or insufficient lubrication of the lips.

The former cause seems implausible in this case and is unlikely to be your issue.

The latter, however, seems highly likely. You mentioned in the OP that the problem only presents after your eating of foods with a high salt or vinegar content. Salt (i.e., sodium) is a desiccant (an agent that causes dryness). This is why drinking sea water can cause dehydration, or why dousing salt on a slug or snail shrivels it up and kills it—it zaps the vitally important moisture from its body's slime which results in its death.

The salt is drying out your lips and this in turn causes the cuts or angular cheilitis.

So, what is the solution? My advice is either a) consume less salt, b) consume more water, c) apply a lubricant to your lips and the cut, or d) all of the above. Option d is obviously the more preferable and presumably efficacious of the bunch.

Doing any of the advice posited above should fix the problem within a few days. If, however, the issue persists or worsens despite following my advice, see a doctor.

And if you have any remaining questions or concerns regarding this or a related issue or about my comment in general, do not hesitate to ask them to me. I'll address them as best as I am able.

—Nom de Plume

Gargle with warm salt water a few times daily until its gone

Holy fuck that's hilarious.

I fail to see what about my comment is so ludicrous and pretentious. My post was very easily the most informed, informative, contributive, detailed, solemn, involved, and veridical of this entire thread.

I refined the OP's description of the problem; deduced the most probable diagnosis from the known information; provided a succinct aperçu on the nature and characteristics of that diagnosis; supplied the OP with remedies and potential treatments thereof; maintained an amiable and accommodating comportment throughout; and wrote in an formal yet simultaneously edifying manner (e.g., using desiccant with a parenthetical definition of the term).

I did not know the definition of 'pretentious' meant 'helpful, thoughtful, informed, professional, and well-spoken'. Because it doesn't.

ACTUALLY I joined this site JUST to say THIS:

BOI! If having a large vocabulary and being helpful in the modern world is pretentious, then I am brutally terrified for the state of the world.
The sheer idiocy displayed by some people as a result of the internet existing is ridiculous. I am appalled that you can't even help someone with a worrying symptom of an unknown possible disease without being criticized. I guess anything is possible on the internet.
He successfully diagnosed the OP's issue, gave possible causes, and three possible treatments. I don't see the problem with this.
YES I did just type out this entire post JUST to point out exactly why YOU, my friend, are the REAL douchebag here. In fact, the douchebaggery exceeds average amounts. The douchebaggery is strong with this one.
I, in fact, am also looking for a solution to these annoying cuts. I didn't find any solid treatments ANYWHERE else on the internet until Nom de Plume posted that. It was helpful, informative and fortunately for me I have a high enough IQ to actually understand about 99.9% of what he's saying. Can you say the same?
There's a difference between being smart and being a douche. Being smart is what Nom is doing. Being a douche is what you are doing. Smart people come off as helpful. Douches come off as douches. You, my friend, are a douche.

I fail to see what about my comment is so ludicrous and pretentious. My post was very easily the most informed, informative, contributive, detailed, solemn, involved, and veridical of this entire thread.

I refined the OP's description of the problem; deduced the most probable diagnosis from the known information; provided a succinct aperçu on the nature and characteristics of that diagnosis; supplied the OP with remedies and potential treatments thereof; maintained an amiable and accommodating comportment throughout; and wrote in an formal yet simultaneously edifying manner (e.g., using desiccant with a parenthetical definition of the term).

I did not know the definition of 'pretentious' meant 'helpful, thoughtful, informed, professional, and well-spoken'. Because it doesn't.

The content of your posts are diminished by how you go about communicating that information. It's a pity as you have relevant and useful points to make.

Do you have a personality disorder, problems with relationships and communication in "real life"?

Doubt it's angular chelitis because you said it happened as an injury from eating a certain kind of food. Chips and salt can for sure crack the lips. Also, chelitis affects both corners of the mouth, not just one.

I'd say that it would be useful to apply a good salve on there. A salve is a topical preparation that's waxy or thick. It creates a seal.

You can use it all day if you want but the best time to use it is at bedtime. Brush your teeth and clean your mouth. Dry the corner of your mouth with a tissue to remove as much moisture as possible, then put the salve on. The salve won't stick to a wet surface.

During the day you'll break it open again from using your mouth, but hopefully each day there is slight improvement because you gain ground during sleep.

I also signed up because this "Nom de Plume" person really irked me. They could benefit from some therapy. Seriously. Aside from sounding like a complete blowhard, he/she is attempting to come across as a physician and have others stroke their ego.

Let's correct a few things:

1. "Etiology" applies only to diseases not small cuts on a lip.
2. "Lack of specificity in the provided description"?!! It's a small cut on the corner of the mouth!!!
3. "Commissure" is the line where the lips meet together it's NOT the corner of the mouth.
4. "Angular cheilitis (also called perlèche or commissural cheilitis)"---I won't even go into into detail on this one; it's just complete crap.
5. "Your case appears to be benign"--- Again, it's a F'n cut, not cancer. AND you're not a doctor to diagnose someone like that!
6. "My advise"---Again, attempting to sound like a doctor.

And lastly, it's a simple CUT on the corner of the mouth. I had one of these. Yes, it's hard to heal because it opens up whenever you talk or eat. It took weeks for mine to heal. I just let it scab over and when it would open up again, I would just leave it alone and it would scab again until it slowly became less and less of an open cut.

That's it. Ignore the rest of the BS.

Last edited:
I assume OP is long gone/has no concern about people posting 4 years later...

But for anyone experiencing something similar ye might look into oil pulling. Unrefined sesame and extra-virgin coconut oils are the two most commonly used.

Swish for up to 20 minutes they say. Try it a couple times daily if you have mouth concerns and keep doing it daily until something happens.

Like I said just an idea to try.