View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - Keep marijuana out of our kids’ hands

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Keep marijuana out of our kids’ hands
Liberal Party of Canada

Every day, our kids turn to dealers, gangs and criminals to buy marijuana, putting them in harm’s way. For them, buying marijuana is often easier than cigarettes.

In fact, an April 2013 United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) study found that at 28 percent, Canada leads the developed world in cannabis use among teenagers.

This is a shocking statistic. And it clearly demonstrates how the Conservative government’s continued prohibition of the substance is failing to keep pot out of the hands of Canadian youth.

The Liberal solution is clear: If we pass smart laws that tax and strictly regulate marijuana, we can better protect our kids, while preventing millions of dollars from going into the pockets of criminal organizations and street gangs.

It’s a position that even the New York Times is calling for in the United states.

Seven months after Colorado moved to regulate and tax the substance, marijuana prosecutions are down 77 percent, burglaries and robberies are down from a year ago, and the state has collected $23.6 million in revenue from taxes, licenses and fees.

The status quo isn’t working. Let’s keep marijuana out of our kids’ hands. Sign and share this petition if you agree.

Read the petition here.

I don't really put much stake in these online petitions, but the context here is that I received a link to this in my e-mail today, straight from the Liberal Party of Canada. Note that this party is currently polling well ahead of any other party in polls right now.

I don't even smoke cannabis, but I would be so proud if Canada were to become the first developed country in the world to legalize it. The next election can't come soon enough!

Not sure if this is a proper Drugs in the Media story. Just felt like sharing some optimism! Mods, delete it if you think it's inappropriate.

Thank god they're polling well, but it won't be easy getting Harper outta there, even though it's long overdue. It would be great if they legalized and regulated it although everyone's always saying how we won't do it until the US does.. I hope I'm alive when developed countries all adopt the Portuguese approach on ALL drugs, so much harm reduction and help for addicts. The drug treatment industry in north America is so capitalistic and fucked up and the government's need to step in to fix it.