• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Whats your take on my story??

gabagool

Greenlighter
Hi... I have posted on here maybe a dozen times the last decade, but I lurk a bit. I really have no one to talk to who isn't biased, so I would like to get some opinions from people who don't know me or my wife. Here goes.....I hope it all makes sense. I will try to make it as brief as possible.

Opiates have always been my favorite high...in fact my only high besides a few drinks. I had been trying to start a business that would meet my wife's expectations through the years. I had a tough time. I opened and sold about a half dozen business in about 20years. Always did good biz, never closed one....but never really made a ton of money...most of the time I struggled to break even. I've always been a softie with paying my employees, always tried to charge my customers as little as possible and gave to every charity that came my way.....in short I was good at what I did, but have always been a lousy business man.

Now, my wife isn't a spender she's a saver. She MUST have fully funded college funds for our kids and a fully funded retirement account for us.....do u guys.know how tough that is??? She does NOT spend on herself or me.

So, after years of trying to make money, her confidence in me slowly faded. I had nobody to watch my back, no one who believed I could do it any longer.....and confidence in myself slooooowly faded away. Enter Mr. Opiate. I began drinking poppy seed tea and poppy tea......and, oh my, did my positive thinking come back. I had no longer been giving starting yet another business any thought, but once I started the tea, it came roaring back.. I guess you know how this stuff works...you feel great, you're optimistic. I realized I needed a BUSINESS MIND and found one...I went through SBA loan process and found a place for 1 million dollars. I NEVER would have made this jump without doing opiates....absolutely certain of it, I know how shitty I was feeling about things.

Well, it took off like a rocket and now I'm making more money than I know what to do with. In 8 years I've made my wife and family's worth just over 3M dollars.....my sons college is paid for, and our retirement seems secure. All this time, my wife had no idea I was drinking tea.

I decided to get on subutex because i was sick of ordering poppies and worrying. I was on it for 5 years before I confessed to my wife. She HAAAAAAAAATED the idea for 2years but left me alone. Early this year she began to demand I get off. I was on about 5 mg at the time. Truthfully, I was concerned that it had taken away the ability to enjoy many of my favorite things, weird, huh? I agreed. BUT I told her that the taper would have to be on MY terms and that she would HACE TO be ready with some unpleasant withdrawal symptoms from me. Mostly I was concerned about irratibility and not wanting to be around a lot of commotion. She agreed.

I'm finishing up, really I am. Well 5 to 2 went by flawlessly, a couple of weeks. Trouble started after 2....nothing big, but constant dry heaving, bathroom issues, nausea at the smell of cooking food, inability to take heat or humidity, and total over sensitivity to being around a lot of people. And that's EXACTLY what I was exposed to in a little mini vacation we went on. I admit, I wasn't great to be around. I wanted peace and quiet in an ACed house, relaxing.

Now, while my wife wanted me to taper, my doctor didn't want me to taper as quickly. In trying to appease both of them, I lied to my wife in the amount I was given every month. However, I did give her a third of my pills ti keep for me. Somehow she found out what I was getting, I don't know how, and blew her stack. She told me that I either went into rehab or I would have to leave. My heart broke, but I simply could not go to rehab.....after all isn't this WHY the give subutex??? I left. I miss my home, wife and kids something terrible.....but she is today, 2 months later, as angry as she was on day 1.

So, did I blow it??? Should I have gone to rehab for not tapering to my wife's expectations?? I know I lied, but I feel that the taper should be MY calling......I'm terrified of withdrawal(never have)......and I warned her that near the end I wouldn't be fun to be around...... I don't know, I now understand how this stuff can ruin your life, but, it's also a Big reason for my success.

Ps.....currently I'm down to .5 and feel pretty good, with some bad days mixed in

Sorry about the size of this post and all......it was a lot of info to fit...I'd appreciate any unbiased feedback. Thank you for your time and patience.

Well.. If you're rich, fuck it. Give her half your shit and do what makes you happy. If not, go to rehab like she pretty much demanded, and kick for good.. That's on you, man.. No one can say if you blew it. If you truly love her, and don't want to be away from your kids, do what's right, clean up and be the father who paid for his children's college education and retirement for you and your wife..
EDIT: I don't mean to be handing out a life lesson to you, doing what's 'right' is different to everyone. I was just trying to give my 2 cents.

Hi...thanks for replying...believe me this AINT rich....it's what today's economy demands.......do they even take people in for tapering subutex??? How is that even a rehab issue???? Just don't understand....I did everything doctors say to AVOID rehab....but, thank you for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it.

You should just do what u gotta do at YOUR pace. It doesn't seem like your truly addicted and u are trying your best to quit. We can't make everyone happy unfortunately so just stay on your taper and you'll be done soon.
I wouldn't let her dictate to you how to get clean, she's not a doctor. Personally I think your doing great if quitting is what you really want to do.
Be true to yourself or you'll be miserable for the rest of your days... Good luck!!

Thanks cliffs.........I feel like you're right....and at the same time.....I have another persons feelings in this......should I sacrifice for peace sakes....and I don't even know if she'll accept at this point...thans, so much, for your response....it's so weird that complete strangers care more than people I know..................

Thanks cliffs.........I feel like you're right....and at the same time.....I have another persons feelings in this......should I sacrifice for peace sakes....and I don't even know if she'll accept at this point...thans, so much, for your response....it's so weird that complete strangers care more than people I know..................
I know what u mean and honestly idk, It depends on your world view what can you live with, guilt wise, ego wise, comfort wise etc. Lots of intangibles. You provide a comfortable existence for your wife and children, to me that's the most important thing. That my major sticking point with myself, I've been an utter failure unable to even provide the basics for myself without selling drugs or the like. You should be very proud of yourself, opiates or not. It all depends on what you can live with I think. We all have our own threshhold for guilt. Your a good guy to feel guilty for other people, but at what cost to yourself? We all gotta do what we gotta do to be able to live with ourselves and it's different for all of us I think...

First, cliff, that post was excellent.. You're absolutely right, doing something for someone else is great, but it's you who has to live the day to day struggle, yes others around have to 'deal' with it, but it is your body and mind.. Gaba, we've all been put in this situation (Although, the situation was probably not the same, but aspect wise, the majority have been through).. You do what you feel is best, I feel you tapering is the best bet, maybe you can talk to your wife, tell her you're going to get off (IF that is what YOU want), and have her hold your prescription.. Write out a schedule of how you will taper, put it on a calendar, and go about it as so. If you want, feel free anytime to shoot me a PM. I've been in your shoes too many times to count, and would gladly do my best in helping you out.. Hell, you can PM me just to vent and blow off steam if you need. I hope the best for you, truly.

You blew it as far as having a wife who is really not very understanding the situation, but I wouldn't say you did anything wrong.

Has she seen you in full blown withdrawals? You're taking a drug under medical supervision and you're working your way off of it. You're at a point that is usually harder (8->6 WAY easier than 2->0). It's not like you're IVing it, scoring dope on the street, or throwing your hard work away for a quick thrill.

Have you explained what the mental anguish would be like cold turkeying at that dosage? The fairly long duration of feeling like you had the flu every day?

IMO you screwed up when you got on suboxone for a long time instead of toughing out a rapid taper, especially if you had money/time to rest.

That's in the past; did something occur between you two which would make her change the way she felt? Is she very passive aggressive?

Honestly, IMO, your complying better than your doctor has even prescribed it. With opioids she doesn't realize how good she got it, and what direction you could have gone in.

At .5 mg you may want to tough it out, take a few caplets of loperamide (imodium) daily and taper that, or just get a perscription for clonidine (an anti-hypertensive, she shouldn't have any qualms...).

Good luck.

(and lol a businessman who never made money because he was kind, you're a rare breed)

Thank you VERY, VERY much to all of you who took time out to care and post.....offers of PM "just to blow off steam"....wow, I can't believe it. I guess you guys all know the feelings of being hooked....my family (who I haven't told about the split) and my in laws are very, very straight and narrow. I am so thankful because none of my in laws, who have been told of my situation and split up, have even attempted to talk to me, even her two brothers who are around my age.....just makes me feel abandoned.

My son was home this week, he starts is in his last year of Columbia (I'm so proud, he almost dropped out of high school) he's pissed at me for not going to rehab.....but again, T THOUGHT THAT WAS WHAT IM IN ESSENCE DOING! Don't use anymore (can't), am tapering, and am now entering that sub 1 gram territory where I probably could use some support.

Well, again heartfelt thanks for the posts, I know so many of you have gone through so much more, I'm a bit embarressed to complain so much.......but it seems addiction gives you all the gift of empathy...which is one good thing of this whole experience....it's a quality that seems lacking in today's world.

Indeed, tapering buprenorphine is rehabilitating you to freedom from opioids. That's what it's made for. What could they possibly do better in rehab? What they would do is give you the same thing you could cold turkey at home with a script for 10 10mg valiums, some clonidine, and tell you to walk it off. Rehab is for people who can't change unless they're locked in a building a monitored.... you're doing a fine job.

You never mentioned if something changed between you and your wife which would make you demand rehab after two years. You mess up and use an actual opioid? You talk about it? You have personal problems?

Lol...
The reason she demanded rehab or a split is because she found out ( I have no idea how) that I was getting 1/3 more pills than I told her. My doctor didn't want to taper me as quickly as she did, so I took the larger prescription....BUT, I GAVE her the extra pills to keep for me. So I guess she thought I was doing even better than expected....so when she found out, she felt lied to and betrayed. I was just so scared. I had lost her confidence in me once before, with my inability to adequately provide ( it's a lousy feeling to know that your wife has your back only when things are going well). I didn't want to cause her to not trust me again. I blew it.

She ALWAYS hated the idea of bupe. She does absolutely NO DRUGS, drinks very, very little. When she's mad at me, she only remembers the bad times, the selfish things I did....and I think resentment builds up. I should have just demanded the doctor prescribe me what I WANTED. But it would have been a drop of 50% and he was uneasy to do so. He's a good guy, maybe a bit to easy with the bupe, but he knows I'm all done with opiates, that's why he prescribes SUBUTEX, not suboxone...cause he know me after so many years. Christ, I've made a mess out of everything.

Thank you for listening, I really need it, man.

Shouldn't be so tough on yourself. You made a mess of things when you started poppy tea, been there, done that. Does she not understand how little .5mg is? Most opioid addicts would LOVE to be held by .5mg of buprenorphine.

You could always say "alright, no more bupe" and just taper with loperamide. At that dosage of bupe 16-20mg of loperamide should stop the withdrawals. It's a full agonist, but doesn't enter the CNS like bupe (which is a partial agonist) so you may not feel the energy bupe yields, but at least you'd only be tapering with an OTC drug, dunno if that would make a difference to her.

Thanks, lol...I'll look into that....she's simply ashamed of me......and the fact she is married to me casts that shame on to her. I adore her.....and I've let her, and the family down. But, u r right, only I can make it right...it's all on me.

Thanks for this.

I think the issue is the lying. You should have been straight with her from the beginning. Maybe you could have your doctor speak with her and let her know how this working. I also suggest if you want to save your marriage (and she does too) that you go to couples therapy.

Lol...
The reason she demanded rehab or a split is because she found out ( I have no idea how) that I was getting 1/3 more pills than I told her. My doctor didn't want to taper me as quickly as she did, so I took the larger prescription....BUT, I GAVE her the extra pills to keep for me. So I guess she thought I was doing even better than expected....so when she found out, she felt lied to and betrayed. I was just so scared. I had lost her confidence in me once before, with my inability to adequately provide ( it's a lousy feeling to know that your wife has your back only when things are going well). I didn't want to cause her to not trust me again. I blew it.

She ALWAYS hated the idea of bupe. She does absolutely NO DRUGS, drinks very, very little. When she's mad at me, she only remembers the bad times, the selfish things I did....and I think resentment builds up. I should have just demanded the doctor prescribe me what I WANTED. But it would have been a drop of 50% and he was uneasy to do so. He's a good guy, maybe a bit to easy with the bupe, but he knows I'm all done with opiates, that's why he prescribes SUBUTEX, not suboxone...cause he know me after so many years. Christ, I've made a mess out of everything.

Thank you for listening, I really need it, man.
Fuckin' A, sounds like my mom and my dad.. He would get MAD scripts for norcos from diff DR's.. He would always hide it, then she had enough and took his pills n hid em.. So he went from popping (This was before we started taking pills together, so it was a small tolerance, compared) 6-7 pills a day, to 2, to wit she gave him.. He would ALWAYS find the pills she hid, and take some, she always knew and that 100% of the time ensued a fight.. She would call the Pharmacy and see what he had gotten filled, again same results. (That's how she found out, so you know, a simple phone call!).. Anyways, just wanted to toss that in since I knew how she found out about the stash. I'm on Bupe, as is my father, yet my mom is not happy we are on that medication still.. I fear relapse if I am 100% off Subs, which I'm about to be.. So that kinda worries me, but if I can manage that impulse, I feel as though I have gotten myself back. Everyone who abuse(s)(d) opiates makes a mess.. What do you do with a mess? Clean it up, make it look new again :) If being on a low dose is what keeps you from a possible relapse, you need to let her know this information. You cannot hold back, speak your mind and open up completely, don't hide anything, it will only make it worse in the long run.

I think the issue is the lying. You should have been straight with her from the beginning. Maybe you could have your doctor speak with her and let her know how this working. I also suggest if you want to save your marriage (and she does too) that you go to couples therapy.

Ill ab....ya, you're right. As far as the doc is concerned ...she LOOOOOATHES him...she considers him a drug dealer, so a conversation is out of the question. The reason is that when we met together with him, he tried to make her see that TWO people are usually at fault in a marriages troubles, and she wasn't used to it. In other counseling we did, as SOON as the counselor found out I was on subutex....every and ALL our troubles were My doing. There was one counselor that had us for a year. I asked him, isn't it funny that every single problem we told him about, I took the blame?? That under no circumstances did she EVER even admit to ANY responsibility......now, she's an awesome woman, the times she was at fault probably added up to 20-25 percent of the time.....and she would never, ever even say she had LIMITED responsibility.......everything bad was my doing....at the same time she consistently talked about how she couldn't understand why my self esteem was so low.......you know, I just think if she would take A LITTLE BIT of the responsibilities of our problem, this marriage could work.....cause right now, I see the undoing of this marriage 100% my fault! no matter how much I try to deny it. I think she is an awesome woman, so her opinion means A TON TO ME.

I know I lied about the amount of my script, but I DID GIVE HER ALL the extra pills.......

Thanks for talking to me, it means a lot.

Fuckin' A, sounds like my mom and my dad.. He would get MAD scripts for norcos from diff DR's.. He would always hide it, then she had enough and took his pills n hid em.. So he went from popping (This was before we started taking pills together, so it was a small tolerance, compared) 6-7 pills a day, to 2, to wit she gave him.. He would ALWAYS find the pills she hid, and take some, she always knew and that 100% of the time ensued a fight.. She would call the Pharmacy and see what he had gotten filled, again same results. (That's how she found out, so you know, a simple phone call!).. Anyways, just wanted to toss that in since I knew how she found out about the stash. I'm on Bupe, as is my father, yet my mom is not happy we are on that medication still.. I fear relapse if I am 100% off Subs, which I'm about to be.. So that kinda worries me, but if I can manage that impulse, I feel as though I have gotten myself back. Everyone who abuse(s)(d) opiates makes a mess.. What do you do with a mess? Clean it up, make it look new again :) If being on a low dose is what keeps you from a possible relapse, you need to let her know this information. You cannot hold back, speak your mind and open up completely, don't hide anything, it will only make it worse in the long run.

Thanks y.....yep, souns similar....but I want to be clean, no bupe, no opiates....I simply don't want to shit my self for 14 days, and I CERTAINLY don't want PAWS. I've fought depression for years, and the thought of a year long bout of serious blues is crushing...I got so many responsibilities, that, if I don't take care of them, I'll be battling with her about MONEY issues instead of bupe issues.. She's a woman free and clear of any addictions and sees addictions as a sign of weakness and coward ness...and in my case, I don't know if she's so off the mark.

Oh, and thanks for the info on how she got my script amount.... I went to cvs and told them that NO ONE, but me is privy to what I'm taking.....I thought there were hippa laws in place, guess I was wrong...

YKM
I hear what your saying about needing a minute amount of bup to keep from using opiates again......I guess that would be best case scenario, but she would see this as a weakness, hence loss of respect for me.....and I really think I don't need opiates anymore....my wife's tough, but she's tough with me, the kids, and herself.......I need to see this thru to the end

That is a really sad situation. It makes me wonder why kids with such an obviously amazing father have to be so far away. I can speculate, but there is no reason as it will just lead to pain and misery.

I do think you should do whatever you have to. Have you considered trying to work towards finding someone you both feel comfortable with to meditate your conversation and act as a therapist? Has it been offered?

The big issue in the situation seems to be miscommunication and misunderstand. Bupe is actually a great reliever of pain as it binds to a unique subreceptor in the opiate system the others don't (or something along those lines) that plays a huge role in its unique properties. The only thing you did wrong was lie to this woman. Rehab might be her idea of gaining her trust, but the two underlying issue is you violated that trust and you need to earn it back. If you figure out how to do that your own way that could be all the difference.

Although she is probably somewhat right about your doc being a drug pusher I'm sure he cares as well