• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Needed a place to vent

painenduser

Bluelighter
So guys,

Normally I am here giving other advise and helping others, today however, I am writing in the Dark Side for my own self and well being. I need a place to vent because I have no where or no one else to vent too.

Short history, but some may recall... I spent a number of years under the grasp of alcohol. I was so tightly intertwined with the bottle that it cost me my marriage (though that would have failed anyway), my job, my house, my boat, and almost took my life. I got so sick I was in ICU for 2 months and was so sick I had to move back in with my mother and step father at the age of 35. I now have liver disease from drinking and a kidney infection (no doubt the infection was caused by my immune system being so suppressed) and the combination of the two caused my liver and kidneys to shut down hence the ICU for 2 months. So any who, my parent were kind enough to take me in because I was so sick and I had no money at all.

I have now been living with them for almost 5 years because even though I had been sober for a while, over 5 years now, I still need the mental support to make sure I stay sober. I can not afford to drink again, even though I had zero interest in drinking again and I have no physical want for it, every now and then I fall deep into what I call a mental slum that I am afraid that if I were on my own, I may decide that I want to drink again, and that would be like signing my own death warrant.

I am currently on Social Security Disability because I am not allowed to work because my health is still very fragile, and in this time I have some how gotten 2 herniated disks as well as a boney growth from my vertebrae causing pressure and severe pain in my back making it difficult to walk, lift, and just carry on a normal life. But all that was just a little history and not why I am writing here today.

I am writing here today because I am finding it really difficult to stay here even though I have no where to go and no means to go anywhere. My Dr's still will not allow me to work, so I am still on disability. My mother who says she understood what I was going through and how much drinking could kill me has turned herself into an alcoholic, yet of course she is in denial, however, you can not fool an alcoholic, I have been there! I know what an alcoholic is and does! She denies it constantly, she hided her bottle, though she tells me she is hiding it from me, when she knows I have no interest in drinking again. I know I said earlier that I am still here because I am afraid that if I were alone I might get so down that I could drink, and while that is true, while I have been in this house, I would never drink! I have NOT had any interest in it even when I have fallen deep into depression. My concern earlier is that it "could" happened if I were alone but not here so there is no need to hide it from me and she knows that. She lies about her drinking but of course I catch her in the lies all the time and she denies everything, very typical.

She is also a nasty drunk. She (self admittedly) gets beer muscles. Meaning that she becomes over confident when she drinks so she will start arguments with myself and my step father (who she treats like absolute shit when she drinks and he is such a waste, he wouldn't stand up for himself if his life depended on it. She causes conflicts, and is very two faced. She slurrs up a storm, and repeats herself like a broken record when she drinks and the worst is that she will have an entire conversation with you and the next day has absolutely ZERO clue what she talked about the night before and will argue with you, yelling at times about how she never had that conversation. She has even walked into my room when she knows that I want nothing to do with her when she is like that and she will come in just to start an argument with me and I try to kick her out and I get the whole "well this is MY house there for this is MY room and you can't tell me to leave!". She obviously has no respect for me. She even told me one night that the reason that she doesn't remember half of what we talk about is because she has no interest in what I am talking about! I just feel so disrespected and rejected.

I have tried to talk to her about her drinking and she does everything possible to avoid the conversation and avoid me. In fact, I was pretty much just brushing everything under the carpet, but then things for me came to a screeching halt on my birthday back in July. My mother had spent a number of weeks drinking pretty much every night. Her arguing, combativeness, yelling over everything and at everyone, she never remembered anything from the night before, just everything was getting bad. So I wrote her a letter, but I asked her not to read it until my birthdate / time. (I chose this because very year she would always wish me a happy birthday at the time I was born on my birthday and because it was early in the morning like in the early AM, as long as we were both awake she would always wish me a happy birthday on that date and time, never missed a year). So in the letter, I explained my concern about her drinking and told her many things but they all came from the heart. I even explained on how I was concerned because she is a breast cancer survivor, I was concerned because I read in a number of digests that alcohol was the cause of many woman getting breast cancer, and I have talked to her about this before and she knows that I take this very serious and that I would be lost with out her. I have had many conversations with her so nothing I wrote in the letter was anything she has not known that upsets me about her drinking. I also wrote in the letter that the one thing I wanted for my birthday was her sobriety. I wanted my mother back, the sober one. The one I used to look up to and that I could count on when I needed her. The one that I could talk to and not I can't because she is wrapped up in her alcohol. Well, she was awake, I was awake, and my birthdate came................. and went! She didn't even come to wish me a happy birthday and worse she was so hung over, she did not get out of bed for two days! She was "sick" according to her and didn't know why she was sick, must have been something she ate, she told me. For two days I did not see her which included my entire birthday because she was so hung over she was sick for two days. Just the whole fact that she completely ignored my birthday accept for the whole 2 minutes she saw me to give me a birthday card in passing. I don't know if she was pissed at me for what I wrote, though I don't think that was the case, because a few days later, I told her that I wanted to talk to her to find out why she ignored me on my birthday, she pretty much blew that and me off once again. She does won't even talk to me about it anymore. So I basically just have to live with things the way they are and I can't talk to anyone! I do feel very rejected, very alone, confused, insulted, name it and I feel it :(

I have no one to talk to about my mom nor any of the issues I have not only here but in every day life. My mom, well that's obvious. My step dad I do not get along with because since I was a child, he has treated me horribly. He has always had a problem with me, and my mom has always said that it is because he is jealous of my time with her. She says that he get's jealous that she spends time with me (her son for gods sake) and not him yet she doesn't spend anymore time with me then she should as being my mother, but he is like a child but all that is for another discussion. Needless to say, I can't talk to him, he is a pathological liar and he literally has the education of a 7th grader and that's being generous. I have a sister, but she wants absolutely nothing to do with my mother and her drinking. She told me that many years ago, she and my aunts attempted an intervention with her (which I had no clue about) and my mother pretty much blew them off, and since then she says that she wants nothing to do with my mother and her drinking or any of her problems. She does not want to hear about anything that has to do with my mother.

So this is all why I am writing here today. I just needed some place to vent where I can talk to someone about this. I don't have anywhere else to go. You guys can ask me anything about my past or what ever, it doesn't matter, I have nothing to hide and nothing that my family doesn't know even though I can't talk to them anymore. I just don't know where else to go because I can not hold it all inside any more. It is starting to make me physically sick because my emotion levels are so high. I have stomach flies every day because I don't know what to say or do anymore. I feel so lonely that I almost don't care if my health goes south tomorrow because I feel like I would not be missed by my family because they seem to want nothing to do with me now, why should anything change if I was not here? They make me feel like I am the cause of all the problems now. It's all my fault, yet I thought that getting better would be what everyone would want, I mean that's what I wanted but now it just seems like since I am here now, it ruined everyone plans in life. My sister has told me that she never planned for me to have gotten sick and having to live here with everyone (we live in a mother daughter house, that means that my parents sold the house to my sister and her family, them move into the main house, then my brother in law took the garage and attached rooms and converted them into an apartment for my mother and step dad which the two halves are separated by entire wall and a door between the two). So she never planned for me to live in the side with my parents and obviously I am hindrance on my parents since I live with them on their side. So I don't know what to do now. I can't go anywhere, but now it seems like no one wants me here and they are sooooo letting my know that in almost as many words...

Anyway, I am starting to babble now because I am becoming very upset writing this and my emotions are just flooding my head right now. So that's why I am here. I needed to start to vent things out. I hope that we can have a discussion and you guys and help me clear my head, or just tell me that I am the fuck up that this place is making me feel like. I don't know. Not sure where to go or what to say anymore.

Thanks for listening (or reading)

Thanks,

Pain

Oh hun sorry to hear that. Is there any chance that your sister can help you to get your mom some help at least? If youneeded some time away do you have any other relatives you can live with for the time being?

Oh hun sorry to hear that. Is there any chance that your sister can help you to get your mom some help at least? If youneeded some time away do you have any other relatives you can live with for the time being?

Unfortunately no and no... My sister wants absolutely nothing to do with her. I thought I wrote this above but maybe not, I was in such a bad state when I wrote this yesterday, that I may have forgotten. According to my sister, a number of years ago, her and my Aunt's (my mom's sisters) apparently tried to do some kind of an intervention with her (though I was not made away of any such thing at the time) and my mom apparently blew them off with her denial and all, so there for my sister says she wants nothing more to do with that side of my mom. She says she has enough going on with her own family, and because of my mothers denial, and my step fathers complete enabling (while he lies to my face stating how her drinking really pisses him off too yet he feeds them too her) OIY!

As far as getting away and staying with another family member for a bit, the only family member would be my Aunt on my fathers side (my father passes away back in 1982, he was 32 and I was 7) however, she practically lost her home in Super Storm Sandy and they are living in a trailer home while Habitat for Humanity rebuilds their home. So, sadly no, I really have no where to go.

Right now my only safe haven is my cat. That may sound weird, but when I am down he comes right to my side. For example, I was upset yesterday and he just sat with me all day! Back in 2009 / 2010, when I was just coming out of the hospital when I was really sick still, I had a lot of suicide thoughts, I would lay on my bed crying in pain, both physical and mental. My cat would sit on my chest and stare me in the eye and then he would take his paw and cover my lips as if to say... "ssssshhhhhhhhhhh daddy, it's OK, then he would kiss my nose... lol He always does things like that when I am down. Since he was a rescue and I imprinted on him since I got him when he was only 1 week old, he was too young so most people don't want that kind of responsibility because when they are that young there is a lot more you have to do just to keep them alive and healthy at that age, so he really does think i am his mamma lol But seriously, because of him, I did not follow through with my suicide thoughts because I never want to leave him. If something were to happen to him, I can't say that I would be on this earth much longer. He is why I am still here, because it sure isn't my family..

A family can make or break you, and mine is breaking me and fast. I don't know how much more I can take. I am tired of being the whipping boy (not literally because if anyone laid a finger on my I would break there arms, but certainly figuratively. They have knocked me so far down it's not even funnym yet I am one of the nicest people I know. I have a huge heart and I care about everyone, yet for what ever reason my family doesn't feel the same way. IDK. I just don't know.

Thanks for replying Maya, feel free to continue! I need to outlet.

Pain

Pain
This is my second time writing this out, damn phone. Firstly, congrats on 5 years sober great job!!! Secondly, I can relate to living with an alcoholic the ups the downs and the who the hell are you?? It's emotionally taxing.

Have you ever tried a support group for family members of alcoholics ? That's something I need to do.

I just wanted you to know you are not alone. I get it and I know it really sucks.

My cat keeps me on earth as well!
You gotta get outta there man, it's killing you. I had a situation like that with a gf of my father when I used to stay there and im more relaxed now that I moved, not happy but relaxed. It's doable on disability but you have to live on a shoestring.
I used to be a lush as well until I got a gastro disease from the booze. I just couldn't live with all my issues sober so I substitued with pills, not an ideal situation but it gets me through the agony of another day. Is there anything besides alcohol that helps you enjoy yourself?
Sorry if I'm not much help but I'm a pretty miserable fucker myself, lol. If it wasn't for my cat I don't think I'd be here, kitty's are the best :)

Believe it or not, I feel that I drank to get away from work, because I was great at what I did, and the management saw that, so I was the one they would call after hours day or night, holiday or vacation... Obviously I can not blame my alcoholism on my job since I am the one that chose to drink, I just think that it was my main reason for drinking and now that I am out of that situation, I don't feel as though I would be as willing to pick up, but I don't know which is what scares me and why I am afraid to be on my own.

Plus I am a people person, and even though I am alone a lot here because I have to seclude myself to get away from the drunk, the enabler, and the bad attitudes, I still like to talk to people and I love to be around people. When my mother isn't drinking she isn't a bad person, but lately it's hard to tell who she is like you said Sosick... I just don't know who she is sometimes..... She certainly isn't the mother that I grew up with, the one who I could always count on. That person is gone!

The problem with trying to live on my own right now on Disability is that I live in NJ and the cost of living here is way more than I could afford with it. My rent alone would be more than 3/4 th of my Disability pay. That leaves no money for anything else, and if you were to place my portion of my medical bills on top of that (even though I do have Medicare) I would have no money left for food or anything else. That would be tough.

As far as trying to get community support, I am very much against AA, and AA type programs for my own personal reasons and the biggest one being that I always relapsed when I went to AA. When I did not do AA I always stayed sober, don't ask, I have no clue why. Probably because I just don't like the people at the meetings. They remind me of Born Again Christians, always trying to push they way on you, and basically telling you that your going to die or goto hell if I don't follow the program... That is not something I want to or need to hear, and I don't believe in that. I am not trying to make excuses, but I assure you that AA and AA type programs are not for me. If I could find some community support with people more like me, or like the people here, then yes I would do it in a heart beat. That's the whole reason that I come here to Blue, because the people here are more like me, and it's so much easier to talk to you guys here than it is too people in AA / AA type meetings. So I would most certainly go to support groups that are different from what I know of around here.

I love coming here for support. I feel comfortable here, plus I can share my story here and I can help people and people respect me here. It's a nice feeling. It's nice to know I can make a difference in someones life here.

As for kitties, yes they soooo rock! My baby cat totally takes care of me, and keeps my feet firmly planted on this earth and if anything happens too him, the only way I could stay here is to get another cat right away, but he has to be another baby. I have raised 3 cats from itty bitty kitties... Where they were too young to be taken from their moms, and I had to raise them as if I were their moms and they imprinted on me which was awesome. The bond is so much stronger. I love it :)

Love my kitties!! :)

Thanks for replying guys! It feels great to know that there are people who care enough to respond to my post. :)

I hear ya, aa is a cult, it's riculous. The smoke a pack of cigs in 5hrs and drinks 50 cups of coffee a day and say their not addicted and lecture u for being on maintanence, it's ridiculous.
You might want to think about moving outta the state. I'm just north of u in mass and u can get a studio up here for like 4 bills. Your stress level needs to come down dude. Your gonna have a heart attack- I've been there.

^yeah i agree with cliffy, maybe trying and moving out of state is good and like getting a roommate so that bills are not too much of a burden. Try looking at ads online who are looking from roommates and ask for specific details as to how much etc. Ill see if i can think of other ways and post some more ideas.

Pain
I've never been to AA or Al-anon but people have suggested it to me over the years. That's unfortunate that it's judgmental and in your face Born agains. Well keep posting here we can all certainly relate.
Something that I have struggled with for years is when everything is good and fun with this person it almost over shadows the really shitty times but sadly there are more shitty times than good.

I would almost feel I was going a bit crazy with the all over the fuckin map personalities he has. I'm to the point now though I've had enough. Pain you need to do what's mentally best for you and that would certainly be getting out.

I know you guys are right, I do need to get out, sadly though, I don't think I am allowed to move out of state because I am receiving both SSI and SSD. One of them is a benefit that comes from the state, so if I move out of state, I will lose some of my benefit and the other benefit can change or it's something like that. I will have to get the details from the Social Security office. I just did a quick Google search and moving out of state will definitely effect my income in a negative way. I don't know how much but if I love the states portion of my benefit, it will take a few hundred out of my monthly check.

I do however honestly and truly appreciate your posts. I can't thank you enough for all your consideration. I definitely appreciate your continued replies, suggestions, and ideas, so please keep posting :) You guys are making me actually smile because I know that you guys really do wish me the best and my kitting is laying on my shoulder while I am laying here on my bed chilling on my laptop lol

You guys are the best! Again, you guys are the reason that I love Blue, well that and when I can turn around and offer my support to someone else. Both are great reasons too smile! :) heehee Though my pain right now is not making me happy, but hell I live with this day in day out.

Pain

^well that post made me smile :) That's the spirit hun! Maybe you can find room mates in your city and go from there perhaps. It will take some time and you might not find a place right away but it is worth a try. <3