• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Had an asthma attack from too much nitrous, should I throw it all away and/or stop?

Jesus, dude. We just had that long thread on why you should never do this much and you were quite active in it. You didn't do permanent damage, but I think you should stop anyway because you obviously lack the self control necessary to use responsibly.

Personally, I'd stop using Nitrous Oxide regularly due not due to lack of Oxygen - but rather entirely due to it's possibility to cause Psychosis, muscle degradation, etc.

This is not an issue with moderate use.

people use 50% nitrous plus oxygen as an anesthetic...

I would stop. You have a risk of dying instantly from nitrous; If I remember correctly it cuts off circulation to the brain
You do not remember correctly, this is not true at all. It is used in medicine because it is very safe. Moderate use presents nearly no risk of hypoxia but excessive use presents severe risk. A minimum[i/] of five minutes should be left between finishing one balloon and starting another. Ten minutes should be left for repeated balloons.

@Mycophile.
You did a lot of nitrous and had an asthma/panic attack. Unfortunately it is possible that you have sustained some damage to your brain but it is likely to be minor and there is nothing you can do about it. Hopefully you have learned your lesson and will not do this again, in which case you can enjoy your nitrous responsibly at a later date.

Also...I'm ending my "binge" on substances in 4 days...so as long as I don't kill myself or do permanent damage in that time...I guess I should be good??
Why are you waiting?

Mycophile said:
Hey man,

I know you know a lot about nitrous and oxygen deprivation from it and last night I had a really bad asthma attack from too much NOS while vaping weed and I wanted your opinions on whether or not you think I'll be ok, did permanent damage, and should throw away all my nitrous or never do it again even though I had some of the most amazing experiences last night doing it before I had the asthma attack.

I am doing alright today, can breath pretty much fine and only feel a little bit mentally slow, so I think I got lucky....but the problem is that I still want to do more nitrous...and maybe I shouldn't ever touch the shit again....or at least not unless I only did a couple balloons, which I'm not sure I could do since I have over 100 chargers...but MIGHT be able to stick to, if I remember the asthma attack I just had.

And please, I'm a hypochondriac so try not to freak me out to much about anything bad I might have done to myself...

Thanks
I am not that knowledgeable about this and when Transform posted this article about oxygen deprivation, that is the first I heard of carbon dioxide displacement causing you to feel like you are breathing. After talking with several people it appears true.

A friend and myself had used nitrous and I liked it but your mental faculties go out the window when you are using it. After one balloon my friend was holding his breathe and got pale as a sheet and popped up wanting another and that was an immediate red flag.

Does your use get out of control; do you plan on doing a couple and end up taking a dozen?

That is the whole of my experience with nitrous. People keep on huffing paint right through the brain damage and it does stop them. At least you got a good baseline reading on how it has affected you, with a break. If you have some left I would throw them in a closet rather than throw them away.

An asthma attack is when your airways contrict from inflammation so blood pressure changes when you lay down, or a pillow pushing your head down, it might be the cause of further constriction.

Do you have a spacer for your rescue inhaler?

Ok, so I'm feeling pretty much fine today.

Do people think that if I'm CAREFUL...and only do single balloons, with at least 5-10 mins between each one like Transform said, and no more than say, 10 MAX...that I could probably get away with that tonight without doing brain damage or having another asthma attack??

I mean, I wouldn't see why not....that would be quite moderate usage.

Unless of course, people think I did so much the other day that even that littlest bit would somehow compound the damage...which is what I'm wondering.

I'd enjoy doing just a few balloons tonight, and would use my nebulizer ahead of time to prevent an attack.

I'm still not sure whether or not I should throw some of this stuff out as keeping it in my closet will still tempt me, but I am pretty sure I won't do what I did again now that I know the dangers.

I'm thinking I will probably throw at least half of it away, leaving me with about 50 which I won't use for a long time other than MAYBE a few tonight...if anyone responds saying they think it's possible to do so by spacing them out like a reasonable person would....1 balloon per 5 mins or 2 per 10...

Last edited:
I am not that knowledgeable about this and when Transform posted this article about oxygen deprivation, that is the first I heard of carbon dioxide displacement causing you to feel like you are breathing. After talking with several people it appears true.

A friend and myself had used nitrous and I liked it but your mental faculties go out the window when you are using it. After one balloon my friend was holding his breathe and got pale as a sheet and popped up wanting another and that was an immediate red flag.

Does your use get out of control; do you plan on doing a couple and end up taking a dozen?

That is the whole of my experience with nitrous. People keep on huffing paint right through the brain damage and it does stop them. At least you got a good baseline reading on how it has affected you, with a break. If you have some left I would throw them in a closet rather than throw them away.

An asthma attack is when your airways contrict from inflammation so blood pressure changes when you lay down, or a pillow pushing your head down, it might be the cause of further constriction.

Do you have a spacer for your rescue inhaler?

Yes, as I was saying I am very new to Nitrous, as in, I only tried it outside of the dentist's office for the first time a couple months ago.

So at first I was fine with moderating, but now I've seen what going too far can do and I'm not going to do it again.

It's SO unfortunate that we don't have access to the kind of 50/50 oxygen/nitrous mix dentists do, but then again I heard another poster say he knows where to find oxygen cartridges so maybe that's a possibility.

Anyways, yes....I went way too far 2 or 3 times and now I won't again.

I just threw half of my chargers out but saved the other half because I just didn't want to get rid of ALL of them.

I don't have a spacer device for my rescue inhaler but never felt that did much as I usually feel fine just using that and VERY rarely need the nebulizer.

I sent you a PM though cause I really just want to do like 10 or Less balloons tonight, all spaced out by 5--10 min intervals like Transform said and wanted yours and others opinions so I can learn to use this stuff responsibly.

I'm curious as to whether or not people will think that is safe, or that somehow I'll be compounding the damage I did the other night and wake up a drooling retard tomorrow haha.

Somehow...I tend to think that doing that moderate amount would be ok...just like it would have been the other night.

I wish I'd heard the "leave 5 mins between" rule before but the thing with nitrous is with it being so short acting the goal becomes to keep the "trip" going...and it REALLY is a fucking trip not just a high for as long as it lasts.

I just want to do a few tonight...Sekio made me think that maybe this wasn't as big a deal as I made it out to be but Transform seemed to think it was a bit more serious...

Seems like a drug which is REALLY dependent on exactly how you use it...but I'm still taking Transform's comment that I may have done "mild brain damage" a bit lightly....since even after 5 shots I'm able to type legibly...I'd assume I'm "ok"...

Ok, I'm using my nebulizer now, and I'm pretty damn confident that using a MODERATE amount of balloons (as Transform said, 1-2 per every 5-10 mins and I'm assuming he means for less than an hour...) is safe.

I just over-did it the other night especially since I have asthma.

I'm talkative as fuck cause I'm drunk....just had 7 shots of Jim Beam.

Whatever....I'll tell you all tomorrow if the 10 whipits I did tonight made me retarded...or then again...maybe I won't be able to LOL.

But for real...thanks for the responses I got.

Be careful with nitrous people...it's fine if spaced out but done in short succession you deprive yourself of oxygen.

I may have killed a few brain cells but haven't we all?

I'm fine.

Last edited:
Jesus christ, dude. Do you take anything to quell yuor anxiety?

All the info you're repeatedly asking has been answered here.

Do yourself a favour and end the binge now. Throw out any bulbs ypu have left. Seriously.

Go buy some helium and breathe that like you would nitrous oxide. If you start getting weird feelings you know it is hypoxia because helium is an inert gas.