• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Advice for dealing with emotional flood?

wanting

Bluelighter
Day 19 of no opioids. My physical symptoms are fading away, thank goodness. But now I'm starting to feel bombarded by emotions, sometimes inappropriately. I feel very fearful right now, for no reason at all. Last night, a kind of deflated sadness, which followed a short but manic happiness. Is this normal? Is there anything to do about it other than sit with the emotions (as my former therapist used to recommend)? It's tough to sit here feeling fearful with no cause, nothing to learn from it. Any advice?

Music. Music that makes you happy. It's been my solution every time I've made it through the other side of withdrawals.

Jogging each evening 15, 20 min helped me tremendously to get my brain chemistry back in balance.

Jogging each evening 15, 20 min helped me tremendously to get my brain chemistry back in balance.

That too. Or a bike ride. I've been off opiates/kratom for a good while now (months) and off gabapentin/benzos for about a month save once or twice and I've been bicycling everywhere (no license anyways) and it really does put you in a good space once you are getting sleep again. I actually feel human!

Music is a great idea. Also exercise, exercise will flood you with endorphins which will balance you out significantly.

When you feel emotions, just be aware of them and let them wash over you and pass through, rather than dwelling on them. As humans we have the ability to hold ourselves up above what our brain chemicals are doing, in an observer state. You can acknowledge that your body and mind feel the way they feel, and not allow it to affect your center. Easier said than done but it will make you a stronger person as well. This is a big thing I've learned since quitting opiates and ending my relationship/marriage of 12 years earlier this year.

I have the same problem. Opiates have turned me into a paranoid, suspicious shut in at times. Everytime I hear a noise I peak out the blinds. I get scared everytime the phone rings. But talking to someone who you really trust can help. Also meditation and if you are in a flurry of emotions at a time when you are home, a nice hot bath with candles or incense can be quite soothing. Wishing you well :)