• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

BMK toxicity

pink panter

Greenlighter
BMK or P2P is starting to appear in many samples of speed (amphetamine sulfate) in Spain.
does anyone have any clue about toxicity issues?
all I found is: "In the article J.Pharm.Sci., 1971(60), 5, p.799 1-phenyl-2-propanol is reported to cause ataxia and sedation in mice. No hyperactivity was noticed. "http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/604692-1-Phenyl-2-propanol-an-amphetamine-replacement
thanks,

phenyl-2-propanone or benzyl methyl ketone is what MAO/enzymes in your body break amphetamine down into, so it's not something you need to worry about toxicity wise. in fact it is technically a flavor and fragrance component.

it would be easily removed by acid/base extracting the amphetamine or by washing with metabisulphite solution

Nice to finally see this thread arise. I had a brief stint with the oil and noticed I was much more clear headed, thoughts were more organized but no euphoria at all and no noticeable physical stimulation yet physical work was much easier to do so.

The wonders of placebo. Thanks for the heads up, I always was concerned with it's toxicity aswell.

Thanks for your help, Seiko.
It appear in much less quantities, acetilamphetamine (intermediate product from the bad sintesis), should we be worry about this one?

n-acetylamphetamine would be deacetylated in vivo and again is not something of concern

Bmk is also the oddly chosen "abbreviation" for 3-oxo-phenylbutanamide, a new rc stim, i think i will try to start a thread on this..

P2P doesn't seem to be acutely toxic in small quantities. Probably absorbed more transdermally, breathed it after running out of mask filters (or needing to save them for when working with genuinely nasty things and stuff that really should have an organics filter like solvents), contact after spills (caused by some other bastard) etc. than would ever get made endogenously after taking amphetamine and its not appeared to have done any obvious harm.

Also its not dissimilar from raspberry ketone, structurally (this is 4-OH-1-phenyl-2-butanone) sold as an oral diet supplement, And they are very close, so I'd hazard a guess that P2P isn't highly toxic based on the structural similarities. If anything, going from the toxicity of amphetamines (although its a bit of a stretch admittedly) the para-monosubstituted derivatives of amphetamine are more toxic generally than those without such ring substitution.

NaBH3CN? do you have any idea how toxic that stuff is?
this is the complete equation for you

P2P + NaBH3CN NH3 H2O = Poor yield followed either by Death or Jail

I thought cyanoborohydride was a reagent of choice for reducing imines (and not ketones) providing a driving force for imine formation via Le Chateliers principle... given it is water-soluble and stable under basic pH as one might see in the presence of free amines. I've seen one-pot MDP2P to MDMA syntheses that are functionally similar: amine, ketone, and some solvent in one pot, add portions of BH3CN...

Triacetoxyborohydride would be a less toxic reagent that similarly would reduce imines and not ketones but cannot be used in H2O/MeOH due to rapid hydrolysis.

Nobody is suggesting you eat the stuff, the last time I used sodium borohydride as an antacid I ended up belching hydrogen fireballs. (/s)

phenyl-2-propanone or benzyl methyl ketone is what MAO/enzymes in your body break amphetamine down into, so it's not something you need to worry about toxicity wise. in fact it is technically a flavor and fragrance component.

it would be easily removed by acid/base extracting the amphetamine or by washing with metabisulphite solution
You wouldn't want to use metabisulfate to wash the crystals as that will cause problems. A simple xylene wash then a acetone rinse would be sufficient.

metabisulphite will convert p2p and other ketones to water soluble alpha hydroxy sulfonic acid sodium salts which can be returned to the ketone by pH extremes, very useful trick

metabisulphite will convert p2p and other ketones to water soluble alpha hydroxy sulfonic acid sodium salts which can be returned to the ketone by pH extremes, very useful trick
You would need to freebase the gear then extract into a np solvent then wash with a metabisulfite solution.trying to wash water soluble crystals with an aqueous solution of acidic shit that will leave a residue is not a good idea.and if someone is asking this question both of these things are probably out of there skill set.better off washing with acetone and leaving it at that.

From what I read in an article, people working in underground amphetamine labs here in Holland where BMK is the standard precursor, have the stuff accumulating in their tissues and get to a point they get chronically sick until the stuff is out of their system. So, I would say it might bioaccumulate somewhat and might be a sensitizer.

I'm in love with raspberry ketone. if you dissolve 2.5gr of that and 2.5gr of neotame in pharma grade propylene glycol to make 100ml, you can squirt 1ml into a big soda bottle of water to turn it into 1.5-2 liters of lemonade. This is how you can turn a 55 gallon drum of water into lemonade for 1 dollar - that's how the lemonade is made :) The neotame enhances the fruityness of the raspberry ketone, the raspberry ketone enhances the already stellar sweetness of the neotame. Neotame does not lead to insulin spikes and weight gain and raspberry ketone is actually a weight loss supplement.

Back on topic, Raspberry ketone is a phenolic ketone, so more water soluble and more redily metabolized than BMK.