• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

need advice with my family doctor

CosmicG

Bluelighter
Hello dark side friends

I have struggled with anxiety for quite some time and currently take .5 mgs of Ativan two times a day once in the morning and once at night to help me with anxiety that is extreme and in at its worst certainly prevents me from being the person I truly am. I want a stronger dose or a new medication because after about six months consistently taking this dose, I still experience crippling anxiety. I am afraid to ask for more because i was grateful to get my Ativan prescription as it is without seeing an actual psychiatrist and having to talk to someone. I have no interest in talking about it benzos work for me and thats how I feel about that. What would be the best approach when talking to my doctor about this? Thanks guys much love.

You really should have this talk, as uncomfortable as it may seem. How are you getting this prescription now, from your GP?

It may seem intimidating but if you feel you need something stronger/different you should at least bring it up. If you've taken your medication as you should for 6 months I see no reason your doctor would think your trying to pull something over on him. When I was quitting opiates I was on Ativan but needed something that lasted longer. I went right to my family doctor and told him the Ativan helped but didn't last long for me at all. He gave me Klonopins and I just took them until I felt I didn't need them. I still get bouts of anxiety from time to time but I'm a little over a month clean so that's to be expected.
But if you feel they work and can stick to taking them how you're prescribed I see no reason why he wouldn't give you something that would last longer... Or maybe refer you to someone he thinks could help better than him. If you feel that uncomfortable with your doctor maybe a different doctor is needed.