• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Storing liquid morphine (Oramorph)

Dimitrius2912

Greenlighter
Hello

I've searched the internet for an answer to this, but can't find one so I thought I would ask here as there are a number of detailed posts regarding morphine.

I've recently acquired a 200ml bottle of Oramorph that I intend to consume. However, I am a very occasional user of opiates (Codeine, Tramadol) and so I'm looking for a way of storing the bottle once I open it as the label states it should be discarded after 3 months.

I was hoping I would be able to find a way to preserve it so I could enjoy a couple of experiences per year for a number of years.

Does anyone know if there is a storage method I can use to ensure it remains active?

Keep it in a amber/dark vial with a rubber stopper, store in the fridge, and look at the ingredients.. does it contain benzyl alcohol and/or propylene glycol? If so it should stay good for a while as long as its stored as i recommended.

Keep it in a amber/dark vial with a rubber stopper, store in the fridge, and look at the ingredients.. does it contain benzyl alcohol and/or propylene glycol? If so it should stay good for a while as long as its stored as i recommended.

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at the enclosed leaflet, in addition to the morphine, it contains:

Ethanol (10% volume)
Sucrose (30g)
Methyl Parahydroxybenzoate (E21)
Propyl Parahydroxybenzoate (E216)

Would I be correct in thinking that the Ethanol will help to preserve it?

It will help preserve it yes.
But if you wanted too, you could buy some propylene glycol (just a little bit) and add it to the solution at a 20% ratio and that would help store it even longer.
If you do that, make sure to take into account that the dosage would be a little off since you would add more liquid to it.

But i think it would be all set as long as its tightly sealed in a cool dark place with just the 10% ethanol.

It will help preserve it yes.
But if you wanted too, you could buy some propylene glycol (just a little bit) and add it to the solution at a 20% ratio and that would help store it even longer.
If you do that, make sure to take into account that the dosage would be a little off since you would add more liquid to it.

But i think it would be all set as long as its tightly sealed in a cool dark place with just the 10% ethanol.

I'll have a look at getting some propylene glycol if this will help to preserve it, and an amber vial with a stopper. Thanks again for the info.

If you have the original container it should be okay for a very good while in the fridge.The bottle it comes in is usually opaque to keep out light and it's light and heat that degrade most medications the fastest.The expiration dates on a lot of medications are more of a liability disclaimer to cover the pharmaceutical companies asses.Be careful with that liquid morphine though.It feels so good that it's shelf life may end up being the least of your worries.

If you have the original container it should be okay for a very good while in the fridge.The bottle it comes in is usually opaque to keep out light and it's light and heat that degrade most medications the fastest.The expiration dates on a lot of medications are more of a liability disclaimer to cover the pharmaceutical companies asses.Be careful with that liquid morphine though.It feels so good that it's shelf life may end up being the least of your worries.

Yes, it is in the original container that is amber in colour. I was concerned that is says discard after 3 months and concluded (probably wrongly) that it would become inactive after this time. I'll keep it in the original container in the fridge. Once I've consumed a little I'll have a look at getting some propylene glycol and adding this to the bottle.

hiya dose any1 no if oramorph 20mg/1ml if taken more than 3 months after opening will make you ill at all,what is the reason for the 3 month after opening expirary date,, thanx