Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Mushrooms/10-15 mushrooms) First Time: Depression and Positive Change

Leaf Breeze

Greenlighter
Hello! I felt like sharing my experience was important because honestly, forums like this were the ones I did research on how to proceed. I thought that this would be a great way to give back to the community so first off let me say thank you!

A Little Backstory:I am in my early 20s. I have had extreme depression for a good portion of my life and other physiological ailments, I have problems to say the least. I've refused treatment for some reason? Up until now I never wanted to get popped full of pills and be a walking zombie. That's how I imagined treatment. My friend had problems remembering things, and keeping focus while taking her depression medication. My mind is sharp and I never wanted to compromise that.

I've been going in and out of long term relationships for most of my life, one of which lasted 4 and a half years. I was cheated on and my mental state took a dive. Obsessive repetitive thought process, spite towards humanity and extreme spite towards God. I was angry at everything. I started openly flaunting my bitterness, putting down people, and showing the world how I really felt. Which truthfully felt good in a way. I like to think of myself as a good person, although I feel like I used to be much better. As my life has progressed I've done deceitful things to achieve my goals and I've done a lot of horrible things in the name of good. My limits became boundless and I scared myself many times. I wanted spiritual help, I had never been a man of God, the idea honestly revolted me. I began meditation sessions once a day in order to clear my mind and release my hatred. Mentally this is a good way to refresh yourself, and spiritually, if there is anything to it, then perhaps I will find out I figured.

The Invite:I had been invited a month prior to the event in which 4 of my friend would be partaking of mushrooms. I had never done anything beyond pot, and it was a casual thing. I have only smoked probably less than a dozen times. I was told that it was an experience "beyond anything I had ever done". My initial thought was no way. But then I began to read controlled studies the British had done, learned all the medical specifics and after a few weeks I felt like it was something I was interested in. I was interested in the long term effects of some cases involving depression and positive outlooks. I had been miserable for almost 5 years and I feel it was affecting my health and obviously the mental state was degrading.

The Meeting:We met at a friend's forest. acers of woods in every direction. It was before dark and I got a good chance to learn the area. They had set up a few areas to hang out at, and the best one by far was the one near the stream. There was a path going to all these areas, and everywhere else was dense woods. I should note that I am an easy going person but uptight about order and tightness. I have extreme OCD and it was a bad problem a few years ago, but I've eased up a little. (flipping light switches 50 times because they didn't 'feel' off completely) Pot and alcohol have been extremely effect on me in the past.

Before trying the mushrooms a few things happened...I did a short meditation session for 30 minutes and relaxed for a bit before all of the guests arrived. I had a slight anxiety about the whole thing still, but I was excited at the same time. When everyone arrived (5 in total including myself) we began to snack. They brought wine and organic wraps. Not necessary information but it was a relaxing environment and I believed this helped a lot. Beginning with mostly people I trusted or knew, and easing up with a few glasses of wine.

There were a few more people too, but they all left before we started eating the mushrooms. We danced and played on tire swings and told stories. I liked that the focus wasn't on the mushrooms and that we were enjoying ourselves and not hyping up the idea that we were doing shrooms. It put me offguard which was nice...Anyway, the others left and it was just the five of us. I tired one full mushroom dried to start out with. If i recall correctly, they were supposed to be a potent variety

The Group: Spiritual Friend, Chaotic Friend, Experienced Friend, Relaxed Friend

The Start of the Trip:While we chatted I kept waiting like a fool for some immediate change. I wanted to be aware of its effects and be ready for whatever came next. After our experienced friend told me to chill and just forget that I took it, I relaxed. We decided to move to a tent-like structure they had built. It had fancy shrouds on the top that protected from weather, and no obstructions on the sides. 10 minutes in I felt nothing so I took another. After about 20 minutes of talking I saw what appeared to be a giant roach fall off Experienced Friend's shoulder into her lap. In actuality it was a leaf.

My first reaction was "Whoa!" and I closed my eyes to blink and then kept them closed seeing a orange and green checker board that was only two lines high. Thru the squares it reveled the words "Hello!" in text. I can't remember what the color was. I opened my eyes quickly and told everyone to close their eyes. "I just said hello to myself!" I told them. The effects seemed to be most effective on me thru the entire night.

When closing my eyes I saw what appeared to be shifting/spinning/ever-changing patterns of shapes. These patterns grew extremely complex as the night went on. After a while of looking at the then simple full vision, closed eyed, patterns I decided to use the bathroom. I went to the edge of the area we at and entered the semi dark area. It was like approaching an abyss of monsters. I couldn't make out distinct individuals. But I remember seeing slight things and feeling like I was being watched. I tried to use the bathroom quickly, saying out loud "alright...nothing come and get me right now..." which my friends heard and laughed.

We had a fire going, and Chaotic Friend (a bit of a oddball fellow and the only one I didn't really know well) decided to strip down to nothing and be naked the rest of the night. It didn't bother me much, but other things about him bothered me. He seemed to want to control what the group did, and not let use be individuals. If he wanted to do a chant, he would raise his voice and tell us to do it. He seemed to be what was disturbing all equilibrium in the group and the rest of us humored him...I'll go into more detail about "chaotic friend" later.

The Vision Quest:After a while of eating more mushrooms and drinking a bit more wine, my Spiritual Friend instructed me to go on a vision quest of sorts. I went into the darkness and after a few minutes of walking I wasn't on the trail anymore. I was on the edge of a cliff side. It was not really a cliff side. In reality it was the trail still. I looked over the edge and saw a large tree hanging on by its roots and climbing up towards me. His bark had holes in it where his jagged tooth mouth and sharp eyes were. He gave off a sense of peacefulness and joy. He made me extremely happy and I gave out a sigh of pleasure. "ahhhhh" :D I said. After a bit of staring at this entity I decided to head back and show the others what I had seen, believing it was some sort of mythical creature. (note I am agnostic and thru this whole experience I had a objective view point and would tell myself "it is just a side effect of the drugs" or "I feel alienated by Chaotic Friend because of the drugs". I had to have some sort of objective stand point to keep myself grounded to reality.

Fear Itself:My friends were overjoyed by the idea of meeting my spirit guide or whatever you would call it. My spiritual friend told me to go back to it, and he would follow shortly after. I slowly walked up and could not find the cliffside again even though I knew it wasn't real, I had hoped to tap into that area again. Each step forward was slow and it felt like bricks were on my feet. I saw glimpses of doors and chains opening before me, and I mummered to myself "you're going to make this hard eh?" What I did find was a witch. She was dressed in tattered robes and her skin was slightly decayed. She looked at me and pointed at me in anger. Her jaw became detached from the socket growing larger apart as she twisted her head. I looked at her and knew she wasn't real and laughed. I ran away in a sprint of fear and joy. And interesting combination.

I jumped down on the ground in the tent and laughed uncontrollably at the humor of seeing something so terrifying and being lighthearted about it. I then consumed more mushrooms. Probably around 6. The numbers are fuzzy. I generally have a perfect recollection of all pot and drinking experiences. Oddly enough I could not recall the amount of mushrooms. I described the witch entity to my spiritual friend and he assured me that she was harmless. We both approached her and she had retreated deep into the woods where I couldn't reach without getting lost. We both saw her! My uncontrollable laughter scared her away and my friend was slightly annoyed.

At this point away from the others I had the realization that my actions in the past were excessive, but not unjustified. I relived to myself and him that I was not the monster I felt like, and that I was a good person. During all this time Chaotic friend is tending to the fire and dancing a crazy dance, the other two are just chilling and tripping and experiencing pleasure. I told my spiritual friend that chaotic friend scared me, that there was things about him that worried me. At one point he told the neighbor's dog he was "just a stupid dog and could get killed easily". He was the one element of the trip that affected me negatively.

My spiritual friend told me that I had to learn the balance of good and evil, and it was time to learn the wisdom of chaos. To which I replied "I wish to stay in the woods, I feel it is where I belong, with the tree spirits". Eventually after returning not being able to find the tree spirit we joined the group. I ate more mushrooms. I am way ahead of everyone, probably took twice as many as anyone there. My closed eyed visions are becoming extremely complex and interesting.

At this point I was telling Relaxed friend and chaotic friend about my visions and they were enjoying my laughter, they said it was "refreshing" because their laughter was much calmer. I suppose they were used to drug use, while I'm only a casual user. Eventually chaotic friend got a large jug and started filling it with water from the nearby well. It had a run over where they had a tub ...filling up? for some reason. Chaotic guy jumped in the tub naked and made a bunch of loud noise. He came up to us with the jug and offered us water saying "Everyone needs water! Water!" and he kept on like that on and off for a while. I had a distinct knowingly illogical fear of drinking water he had, so I stuck to the bottled water, which he replied to me about later on saying "plastic companies are evil" and so on and so forth.

I began to play with roots of a nearby stump while talking to everyone. My feet were completely muddy and my clothing was dirty. I saw imaginary roaches on my skin but ignored them. It didn't really bother me much. Eventually I said "what is this I'm playing with?" Relaxed friend said "I think that's poison ivy" I had a bit of a freak out and came back to the reality. "I work with my hands, my hands are my meal ticket" and eventually I calmed down and said to myself "its just the roots of this trunk, I know that for a fact...no reason to think otherwise" I think relaxed friend was messing with me.

The Climax:Ate more mushrooms...more conversation with experienced friend and relaxed friend. Suddenly I could not control my movements. I began to dance with no control over my body. The dancing lasted for about 5 minutes while I uncontrollably laughed and experienced friend and relaxed friend watched in amusement. And then it hit me... A large Pyramid from nowhere came at me at like 40 miles an hour and passed thru me. I saw chambers and rooms and all sorts of things. I fell to my knees letting out a huge howl that echoed and regained my ability to move myself. For a moment there I felt like I had finally gone completely insane. But after gaining my mobility I was fine.

Before all of this nonsense, spiritual friend went to the stream area to meditate. The area was surrounded by rocks and inside the rocks were pillows and carpet with a light source in the center. On the other side of the rocks was a medium sized stream. Eventually relaxed friend joined him. I talked to experienced friend and chaotic for a while before trying to rejoin spiritual friend, as he is who I felt most comfortable with and knew the best. I walked up to them, and joined them. I quickly grabbed up a bottle of water that was unopened. To me this was treasure, as I was still uneasy about chaotic friend. Drank it down.

The Tree Spirit: As they meditated I started to try myself. Upon closing my eyes my mind was filled with puzzles, locks, doors, chains, all sorts of insanity. I brushed my head and the doors and puzzles would dissipate. "Shed that human thinking" my spiritual friend told me. I began to focus my mind and after a few tries I found myself in front of the tree again. He was on solid ground unlike the first time. And my eyes were closed, unlike the open eyed experience with them.

I approached the tree. His leafs were bright and lit up light green. I then began to entangle my soul into the tree and eventually me and the tree spirit became one being. Eventually each breath I took made the purple light dart out the tree's leafs like explosions, and also with each breath my entire body had an overwhelming feeling of pleasure. I began to sigh each breath in pleasure. My meditating friends began to stare at me confused. I opened my eyes and the link was broken. They looked at me oddly and said what the heck? "I just...fused with a tree spirit" I told them.

The Rest of this I'm not even sure if its in order...

The next bit is slightly blurry, but I remember going back to the tent. I think I relaxed a bit and talked, relaxed friend joined us and spiritual friend continued to meditate or whatever he was doing. I was often worried about him and wondering what he was doing or if he was alright, but it wasn't a big issue for me. I ate a few more mushrooms and laid back looking at the stars. Chaotic friend tended the fire, and I started laughing at my close eyed visions.
Chaotic friend finally got upset and asked "what's so funny?"
I told him "I'm just seeing some crazy things
"like what?" he asked.
"By the time I got done telling you I'd be seeing a new thing" I explained to him.
"Well how do you do that?" he asked me.
"What...trip?" I asked him. He said yes. "I dont know...you just...close your eyes and...uhhh....-pause for 5 seconds-...uhhhh you just..."
"You just trip!" relaxed friend said..

At some point spiritual friend came back or this happened earlier... I heard a train near there going by and it was really close to us. (This was real) and while laughing at my spiritual friend I said "I hope we're not tripping and think we're here but we're actually in front of the train right now..."

Then...things got weird. My friend turned into a train. Like a full sized thomas the tank engine style train with his face on the front. I started laughing hard. He looked at me and asked what is it? (as a train) and I began laughing harder. He quickly turned back.

I remember looking at the tent's shrouds and the colors would morph into completely different things if I stared at them for a few seconds. I distintly remember doofen smirts from "Phenius and Ferb" head floating around going "Perry the platapus!" and I was just like ...holy crap.

After a while everyone started to fall in and out of sleep, and I realized I had taken too many mushrooms too late in the night (or early morning) to fall asleep. I stayed awake in a pile of sleeping people (excluding spiritual guy who was down by the stream at the time, which is part of the reason I'm having trouble restoring this timeline).

I finally got up and felt like an animal. I attacked the snack table eating 2 bags of chips (small ones) 16 oz of pineapple, some kiwi, and other things really fast. After my huger was finished, I asked spiritual guy if everything was cool. I went back up to the sleepy people and laid on my back and just tripped hard. I began to want people to be up with me, so I imagined them all awake...and I began to hear conversation that my mind was generating of my friends. I quickly thought of something else because I didn't want to lose touch with reality that way just because I was lonely.

I eventually started to doze off, but the second I would fall asleep, my mind would jump awake and I'd start tripping again and my legs would start running (like a dog) all at the same time. This lasted for probably an hour...My spiritual friend joined us and I kept him up because I kept kicking him each time I dozed off for only a second.

I eventually got about 15 minutes of sleep and we all headed for the house to make coffee and breakfast. Most of the effects were gone except for the occasional slight bend in a wall. I wanted to go home bad because I needed to sort out my thought of the night. This felt like the longest night of my life but in reality it was the summer solstice haha. During the rest of the day I reflected and tried to figure out how I could go back to "normal" life. I felt as though my entire existence up to this point was limited and I had no achieved anything great. I was slightly depressed, and then bam. The next day it was as if my mind was completely rewired.

Day by Day the world seemed better. I think about my ex fiance a lot less. I think about the people that have wronged me much less, I have less fear of death (my fear of death was obsessive). Life in general seems better, and my mind seems more balanced. I feel as though my depression is very low now, but not gone. And my emotions are no longer erratic. I feel close to nature. My creativity is almost boundless now.

I'm trying to figure out how to end such a profound experience in better words, but all I can think of to say is that this experience truly changed my life for the better. I'll have to write out the chaotic factor in the future, but overall things could never be better for me. I am making changes in my life that were needed. Taking out needless stress from my life, and exempting negative energy from my daily life.

If anyone has any questions or comments please feel free to share! Thanks for listening, I hope I've brought constructive insight. I will be checking this page daily. (I'll also probably add more encounters if they happen)

Last edited:
This is awesome! I don't have any questions of anything else to say right now but I'm so glad this experience helped you and I think it's going to help me too.

This is awesome! I don't have any questions of anything else to say right now but I'm so glad this experience helped you and I think it's going to help me too.

Yeah, just learn from my experience, and be in a good setting where you wont hurt yourself, and be with people that you know completely, and trust. I found it very comforting that there was one experienced user among us to guide us a bit. This isn't a party drug. I guess it could be, but I feel it is much better as a spiritual tool. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be at a rave or something and be eating these lol.

If you would, post on here after your experience, I'd like to hear about it. link me to your trip report if you make one. :)