• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

new with questions (tramadol)

chimera741

Greenlighter
Hi, my name is chimera I got hurt at work a couple of years ago and have two ruptured and bulging discs the doctor had me on 120 mgs of oxycodone per day and just recently switched me to 400 mgs of tramadol, my question is would it be safe if i added an extra 100 mgs over a 24 hr period I never take more than a 100 at a time and usually six hours apart I would like to slip a fifty at the three hr mark twice a day because this stuff doesnt work as well?

Hi and welcome to Bluelight.

The bad thing about tramadol is that it can cause seizures in high doses. I'm moving this to Other Drugs.

I've taken massive doses of tramadol of 600-700mg at once, and never had a seizure, although it really depends on how seizure prone you are, and if you've had seizures in the past.

I can't believe you aren't dope sick though. Going from 120mg of oxy per day to 400mg of tramadol is a big drop. I believe every 100mg of tramadol is only equivalent to 10mg of morphine in terms of analgesia. And oxy is slightly more potent than morphine. So he pretty much cut your dose by 66%. Are you feeling any signs of opiate withdrawal from this? Do you know why he switched you from oxy to tramadol? Tramadol is a very weak opiate, especially for pain management, and because of the NRI action it has, the withdrawal from personal experience, are worse than heroin. It took me a month and a half to get through my tram withdrawals.

Call your doctor and tell him it's not working and you want to be on something that will help you.

Tramadol is dangerous, if it's putting you in an uncomfortable position, call your doctor.

Doses of tramadol that high are known to be seizure inducing. Personally, I've taken more and never had a seizure, but I've never had a seizure in my entire life, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. The really bad side effect to tramadol, imo, is that it stimulates me ridiculously. When first prescribed, I figured it would be like any other opiate, but I have found that not only does it prevent sleep, but it also makes me very crisp, and makes me grind my teeth and have ridiculous muscle spasms. It was also very harsh on my stomach, taking that many throughout the day. If you continue this regimen and start puking more often and aren't sure of the cause, trust me when I say it's the tramadol. See if you can get put on Nucynta (Tapentadol), it's somewhat like tramadol except it's also a sedative. It definitely helped my pain and helped me sleep.

No i didn't get dope sick it handled the withdrawals from oxys well but it doesn't do shit for the pain the reason i switched is because i was becoming chemically dependent on the oxycodone and i wanted something that wasn't addictive. Come to find out tramadol is just as addictive. I have a dr.s appointment on Monday I am going to have him switch me to something else I think I might try that nucynta. My Doctor would probably put me on oxymorphone if i asked him because he knows I'm just looking for sone pain relief thr work comp company just abandoned me I've been in this condition for two plus years I hired an atorney finally there is an end in sight thank god!

That dose of tramadol is way way weaker than the 120mg oxy, you should call your doc, explain you're in pain, and switch to maybe morphine or DHC, depending on how bad the pain is, or a smaller dose of oxy.