• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Dilaudid - when to take after withdrawl?

LotusExige

Bluelighter
Did some searching but had a hard time coming up with how to search - kept getting threads about general withdrawl issues so if I missed this please let me know.

In short I've been taking 20-50mg Dilaudid for the past few years. I'm now on 20mg methadone per day (for the past 7 days) and so far it's going great. I'm sleeping much better and as such feel a ton better already. I was taking the dialudid for some serious back pain that over the last year has finally subsided (long story but short is I'm better). I'm working with my doctor to use the methadone to end all daily opiate use as the side effects are getting bad (mostly the insominia). While I have taken more than I'm supposed to at times as I'm perscribed a limited amount I'd don't generally abuse it too much. I haven't had any issues with addicition/emotional type withdrawl so far - quite the opposite as I feel so much better.

My question is once I'm done with the methadone, let's say that's a month would I be able to take dilaudid again after that for as needed pain? Meaning instead of getting a huge daily script like I used to (say 150 for a month) I'd just get say 30 and take them here and there as I have pain. What would be my risk of becoming physical addicted again, which I'm not willing to do? Am I at a higher risk given my previous physical dependence? Could I take 4-6 for a day and then put them back down without going through withdrawl again?

My hope is to end my daily dependence with the methadone over the next few weeks then be free of any daily opiate. I'm sure my pain will come back at some point so I'd like to be able to take something when that happens for 1-3 days as needed but only if I could then put it back down without the fear of withdrawl. I'm sure everyone is different but in generally what can I expect?

Thanks BLers!

1. This is not a good basis for a wiki article; please read our forum's guidelines before posting again.
2. prior opioid addiction sensitizes you to withdrawal. Use 2+ days in a row or multiple uses per week are playing with fire.

ebola