Are there any others who still appreciate and listen to good old rock?

poppyplanet

Bluelighter
I'm in my early 30's. I grew up on classic rock and matured threw the early grunge years with bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Although I still love these 90's rock bands, I've been listening to a lot of Puscifer lately. Does anyone else love this new project of Maynards like I do? This band truly moves me. Aside from that, there was a small time that I got into listening to electronic music, club music I guess. But even when I dosed MDMA, I still couldn't stop listening to rock. For me, rock is just so much more superior than techno and genres like rap. Rock is poetry much like most music but whenever I would roll around my friends, they would insist on putting on techno and I was usually the oddball out because I thought it didn't live up to the hype. Of course the repetitiously sounding thumps sounded good while rolling but rock n roll had that unique deepness to it that the other genres like rap and techno lack. Maybe I'm alone here but even while rolling on MDMA I still thought rock was superior. And not to talk shit on rap too much but being a musician myself and accustomed to reading music, it's not hard to put together a rap melody with a decent hook. It's truly easy to do, just rhyming every other phrase, not rocket science. I guess I'm just rambling here because I like a lot of rap but along with techno, it's highly over rated. I'll take The Beatles or the Doors any day of the week over crap like Eminem or Kanye West. I know I'll get some shit for this post but it's how I feel. Rock on!

i'm listening to supertramp right now.

dadrock for lyphe. i fucking love classic rock.

i'm not kidding when i say that my high school experience was identical to the movie dazed and confused, all the way down to the damn soundtrack. fucking identical, minus the freshman hazing shit. so, yea, classic rock makes me feel nostalgic as fuck.

It's always seemed pointless to me to only listen to one genre, or to not give other music a chance. I like classic rock, but I also like harsh noise and breakcore all the same. There are good artists in most genres if you take the time to find them.

Still listening today to a lot of the same music I loved in the 70's. I've added lots of genres and lots of new music through all the decades since. I wouldn't place the classic stuff above my more recent loves but it still holds its own.

for the most part I stopped listening to rock in my late teens early 20's. I prefer softer classical/instrumental music most of the time.

Anyway, I watched that Hendrix doc "Hear My Train A Comin'" on netflix recently and was once again reminded how unique he was.

If I do listen to 'rock' it's usually bands they consider post-rock. (Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Rós, etc. or whatever Jason Pierce (Spiritualized) and John Frusciante release.

I also still listen to Pink Floyd, Mark Knopfler, Iron Maiden and a few others (rarely)

It's always seemed pointless to me to only listen to one genre, or to not give other music a chance. I like classic rock, but I also like harsh noise and breakcore all the same. There are good artists in most genres if you take the time to find them.
QFT. My main genres are rock and metal (so also a lot of classical rock) but I listen to everything from classical music to hardcore. I personally don't understand people that restrict themselves to one genre either, but I guess you can't argue about taste...

Can't friggin believe that 90's rock is retro now.
I'm 32 and I get my fix every now and again. People practically give away good 90s rock albums at yard sales. Love it

lol yeah i feel ya. theyre.playing stp and pearl jam and.metallica on the classic rck stations.

nuts, right? I don't feel that old but evidently ...oldness is happenen at rapid speed.

I like listening to rock back then, pop-rock also progressive rock like dream theater. But now I also listen to reggae music.

I like older rock bands. Especially Rush, King Crimson, Zappa etc.

I don't think they are superior to any other sort of music though as that's not really how I view music at all really. It's not some competition about who is the hardest or has more technical mastery, or whether or not it should be classified as real music because it possesses certain traits. For me it's about emotion and feeling. It's about bringing different cultures and countries together. An 8 bit chiptune, complex prog rock, trance, gangster rap.. doesn't matter to me. Can it make me feel happy, sad, angry, hopeful, euphoric? Does it make me think about beautiful things or difficult shit like poverty and injustice? Does it expose me to people and ways of thinking that I haven't been exposed to? That's what I care about when it comes to music.

Puscifer is amazing. But then again anything Maynard is involved with seems to be truly badass. But yes I still love old classic rock. Stuff like the doors and led zeppelin and Jimi hendrix is so damn good I don't think anything these days come close to or ever will come close to good old rock

The doors, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Jefferson airplane fuck yeah!

I am with you brother Led Zeppelin is the greatest band of all time and I say that with confidence.

Jimmy page and Robert Plant were and always will be untouchable talent wise.

It really is a shame the lack of responses to this thread. I enjoy all kinds of music but classic rock takes the cake and will never be topped. Timeless yet I cant help but fear ot will soon be forgotten and dismissed as ancient history to this despicable repulsive generation currently in bloom.