Needing some support....currently trying to quit large oxy habit

Sedation Nation

Greenlighter
This is my first ever post to any site online EVER. please bear with me as I'm
Sure I'm sure I will make rookie mistakes. I will keep this fist post short as to see
if I get any replies and if I'm even in the correct location. my brief history,
off and on opiates ( pills only ) for the better part of 10 yrs. the worst of it has
been the past 5 yrs. I've graduated to 30mg roxy and its
getting out of control. My usage will vary from 360-510 mg
a day!! I've been like this ( high amount ) for about 5 months. Any tips
on getting off this train and any support would be great. Not looking for a
lecture.....just needing some genuine support and comfort.

Thanks!!
SN

Welcome :)

This is a huge habit indeed, good luck with your recovery...

New members introductions ---> The Dark Side

First i would like to offer my support and i too have a roxy problem that im battling and currently been sober 5 days.this is goin to be a hard fight,but doable with hard work and a little time.if u havent already u need to identify WHY u use the pills.for me its boredom and to fight depression.

im currently getting to the root of my depression which i think is mainly due to being lonely because i havent had the best luck in the significant other department mostly due to me being fucked up all the time and taking what i can get and not really goin to get what i want and need.

just a little bit about me feel free to tell bluelight about how your really feeling and what problems u have there is a wisdom here that if u stick around u will appreciate %)

I have a huge Roxi problem myself so I know how you feel. I started bangin them about 2 years ago and do anywhere from 2 years to 12 a day depending on how many I have. I get 180 a month plus spend another couple thousand a month on them. If I quit, I would be rich !!! Been trying to figure out why I take them for a long time. I would love to know how to quit and never look back. I appreciate any and all suggestions and/or advice. Thanks. BTW/ this was my first ever post.

Does anyone have any advice or tips to quit such a large habit of roxy?
Should I switch to hydrocodone for a few weeks and taper down before jumping?
Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated. I can not go on like this. My health,
my finances and my relationships are suffering majorly. I've quit before and it felt amazing,
but of course I thought I could dabble here and there and "control" my usage. Ha. Wrong.

I just feel SOOOOOO ashamed. I have a great family and great friends.....but none of them have been where I am with addiction and don't, for lack of a better phrase, "get it". I've tried AA and it just wasn't my fit. Way too depressing and cult like for me. Not saying it doesn't work for some people but I know it doesn't work for me. I also gave it time but it still wasn't for me. I've been reading about how you basically ease your withdrawals and recovery by eating the right nutrients etc and exercising. My problem is the boredom that comes after detoxing. Some days it hits you like mike Tyson.

Theres meetings called SMART recovery if u dont want NA its a more rational approach and no higher power talk i really like it. u can search for your area to see if one is close.the best thing i think would taper down to a reasonable level then maybe grab a few subs.just a few so u dont switch addictions and just try to taper with those until u feel content jumping off or run out.

theres no easy solution to this hopefully neversickanymore sees this thread and post hes the best ive seen with support and tips on bluelight %) Wishing u all the best i know its hard buddy but u CAN do this

one more thing no more "dabbling" after u get clean u have to accept that u are an addict and have to change your life to help keep u clean.exercise will save your life instead of snorting oxy all i do is work and lift and im looking foward to the positives of being in shape and not the negatives that comes along with the addiction ball and chain.

Last edited:
I've heard of the SMART recovery group. I'm having trouble locating one in my area. I will keep trying though
since it seems like a good fit for me. I'm also a little "scared" to try the sub. I've heard some horror stories
about it. I took methadone for about 3 months once and then stopped cold turkey from 120mgs. That was AWFUL!!
I was naive about how powerful it was/ is. So I don't want to go thru that type of withdrawal again if I can avoid it. Sounds
like my best option is tapering down for a few weeks and then maybe using hydro for a few days before I "jump". I don't expect
it to be painless and I know I have to pay the price for my stupidity. I know better. I've seen how opiates can and WILL destroy lives. I will be honest when I say that I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that I have to carry around the label of an "addict" for the rest of my life. People can get better and change their lives, carrying around a label, IMO, holds you down and keeps you from feeling proud of yourself. But, I'm sure that I'm thinking about it all wrong. I really hope I'm not coming across as arrogant or being in denial. I'm very aware that I have a problem with addiction. I just feel that I can overcome it and move on in life quicker and more successfully if my self esteem is high.

And yes....POTUS, NO MORE DABBLING!! It's obvious that I can't control my usage. Thanks to all who have relied and offered helps and support. Means A LOT.

If anyone is interested, I will be happy to share my history with my addiction issues. It really helps to just have the few replies that I've gotten thus far. Being able to relate is HUGE w anything, especially with addiction. It's so extremely hard to get others to understand and relate to something they have absolutely no experience wth. I've been to hell and back and in between as I'm sure several others have too. I have gotten more "relief" since I joined this site and posted, then I have since my disgusting relationship with opiates began. I can't say thank you enough to POTUS and the others that have taken the time to reach out and reply to my posts.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the "Passages Malibu" commercial where the "owner" states " I USED to be an addict for 10 years and now I'm NOT" ?? If I'm correct, aren't there pretty much 2 camps on addiction? One being " ADDICT FOR LIFE" and other one being " NOT AN ADDICT FOR LIFE" ? I know which camp I'm in, but I'm curious what others think and which camp they "belong" to. Not trying to cause a huge debate and ruffle any feathers so I'm sorry if I do in any way. I'm also sorry if I'm not posting correctly or in the right for forum etc. I'm totally new to this, I've always just been a lurker and never joined in any discussions. I'm so happy I finally joined because it feels so good to get these things off my chest. I literally have NO ONE to relate to or talk to about this affliction. Thank you again to all who have taken the time to reply and send some good vibes my way.

I've heard of the SMART recovery group. I'm having trouble locating one in my area. I will keep trying though
since it seems like a good fit for me. I'm also a little "scared" to try the sub. I've heard some horror stories
about it. I took methadone for about 3 months once and then stopped cold turkey from 120mgs. That was AWFUL!!
I was naive about how powerful it was/ is. So I don't want to go thru that type of withdrawal again if I can avoid it. Sounds
like my best option is tapering down for a few weeks and then maybe using hydro for a few days before I "jump". I don't expect
it to be painless and I know I have to pay the price for my stupidity. I know better. I've seen how opiates can and WILL destroy lives. I will be honest when I say that I'm having a hard time accepting the fact that I have to carry around the label of an "addict" for the rest of my life. People can get better and change their lives, carrying around a label, IMO, holds you down and keeps you from feeling proud of yourself. But, I'm sure that I'm thinking about it all wrong. I really hope I'm not coming across as arrogant or being in denial. I'm very aware that I have a problem with addiction. I just feel that I can overcome it and move on in life quicker and more successfully if my self esteem is high.

And yes....POTUS, NO MORE DABBLING!! It's obvious that I can't control my usage. Thanks to all who have relied and offered helps and support. Means A LOT.

Many people have successfully used just a few subs at the smallest dose possible for relief to step down out of the final stages of tapering... at just a few doses spread over a week, for example, you're in little danger of switching addictions. Unfortunately doctors prescribe people large doses and tell them to stay on them for a long time, and that certainly produces withdrawal, as would any opiate done that way. And sub withdrawal lasts a LONG time, much longer than oxy or even, I hear, methadone, for many people.

Your plan sounds pretty decent also, switching to a weaker opiate to finish the taper. At some point, regardless of what you do, you'll have to deal with at least light withdrawal but it's perfectly reasonable to reduce until you get light withdrawal because a large oxy habit produces pretty intense withdrawal.

Regarding addict for life vs not addict for life... I feel like since taking ibogaine I am no longer an opiate addict, it feels like it never happened in my brain. So physically anyway I do not consider myself an opiate addict anymore. However, I know that they trigger a severe addiction in me so I am under no illusions that I will ever be able to take an opiate again. I feel like even if I had a surgery or bad injury I would deal without opiates, because nothing is worth it to me to go back to that place.

I think to some extent, labeling yourself as an addict for life can be pretty damaging. I prefer simply moving away from it in your mind and personality. I know people who are always talking about how they're addicts even years after they last used, and it seems to me they think about it an awful lot, and it shapes a large part of their self-image. I believe I can continue to live a life disconnected from opiates, in which I do not label myself an addict but a former addict, and instead fill my mind with good, positive things, not fear and issues from my past. But like I said, always knowing that I can never go there again, even a little bit, ever.

Last edited:
I have no problem labeling myself an addict for life because i might not be in active addiction but that voice is always saying u will feel like a million bucks if i snort some roxys.but i have to use my reason to stop myself.its not a negative term most people are addicted to something (coffee, tv,sex,significant other, money) a roxy addiction is just expensive as shit and people treat u like a second tier human.

Everyone has to deal with things their own way and that sounds very responsible of you. I honestly don't even have the voice or the urge anymore, it's like it disappeared from my mind and body. I do credit the ibogaine with that though, it really produced a lot of positive changes in me.

I was also curious if anyone has any experience or input on this "loperamide" method of getting off opiates. I understand that it doesn't cross the BBB and only acts on receptors in the gut but I've read mixed reviews. I've also heard of a method using: natural muscle relaxers, ( magnesium ) valerian root, melatonin, cannabis, vitamins and protein shakes. Does anyone have experience w that.

And lastly, I've heard of amino acid therapy for opiate withdrawals and PAWS. Is this something that can be done at home? Can I buy these somewhere locally or online? Does it work? Has anyone done this?

I hope I'm not Being a pest by asking so many questions. I apologize if my etiquette is bad, as I've said, I'm brand new to this all. Thanks!!

Embrace the Chaos

Xorkoth, Thanks so much for your kind words and advice / input. I'm very interested in the Ibogaine therapy. Would like to hear more aboit your experience sometime.

Xorkoth, Thanks so much for your kind words and advice / input. I'm very interested in the Ibogaine therapy. Would like to hear more aboit your experience sometime.

oops. Didn't mean to post this twice. Sorry. I'm a newbie. I'll get the hang of this soon.

Not to be argumentative, but isn't BEUNG labeled a second tier human negative? Once again, not trying to be a smart ass or rude at all, so please, don't take it that way. I appreciate your input and advice and you have helped me greatly by simply replying to my posts and giving me some folks to relate to. Being able to get this stuff off my chest feels great.

I dont care of the labels other people put on me only the ones i put on myself i cant change what other people think of me.

i wasnt trying to call addicts second tier humans only what ignorant and misinformed people think.

Very true indeed. Hell, alcoholics get better treatment from society than those addicted to drugs ( specifically opiates ). Hopefully the tide changes