• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

DXM - First time and almost no effect

Pubecrabs

Greenlighter
I took 600 mg of DXM 3 hours ago. I am160 pounds. This is my first experience with anything other than weed. I had nothing to eat in the last 6 hours. Again this is his first time with DXM and there is little effect.

His current mental state is similar to his mental state after 2-3 shots of alcohol. Should I take more?

Also, the only active ingredient in the cough syrup was DXM.

Last edited by a moderator:
did you take DXM hydrobromide or polistrex?
and why would you even use SWIM if we're talking about a legal drug?

With DXM, if you stay awake after taking a recreational dose (at least, with some people) it will do nothing more than make you feel a little sedated. However, if you take it, fall asleep about an hour after you take it, then wake up...you will DEFINITELY start to notice it's effects. For some reason, I never could get anything from DXM unless I took a small nap first. It was the weirdest thing. With the liquid though, it always messed me up the first try, of course, you have to get past the sickness and force yourself not to puke, but after you get over the hill it's somewhat enjoyable.

DXM has moderate to little recreational value, not a very fun or exciting drug. If you are feeling experimental enough to try that out...why not try anything else?

BTW, SWIM IS YOU! lol You don't have to swim, in fact you can't even swim on the internet. You can only surf the internet.

Note that I edited your swim reference, it's against Bluelight rules.
Perhaps DXM is not a good drug for you?

With DXM, if you stay awake after taking a recreational dose (at least, with some people) it will do nothing more than make you feel a little sedated. However, if you take it, fall asleep about an hour after you take it, then wake up...you will DEFINITELY start to notice it's effects. For some reason, I never could get anything from DXM unless I took a small nap first. It was the weirdest thing. With the liquid though, it always messed me up the first try, of course, you have to get past the sickness and force yourself not to puke, but after you get over the hill it's somewhat enjoyable.

DXM has moderate to little recreational value, not a very fun or exciting drug. If you are feeling experimental enough to try that out...why not try anything else?

BTW, SWIM IS YOU! lol You don't have to swim, in fact you can't even swim on the internet. You can only surf the internet.

what? this isn't true at all IME. i've always been awake after taking DXM and i always felt it properly. YMMV but this is the first time i read this.

what? this isn't true at all IME. i've always been awake after taking DXM and i always felt it properly. YMMV but this is the first time i read this.

I take DXM at least twice per month. The last time I had taken it, I had taken 250mg of temazepam about 90 minutes beforehand. I had inadvertently fallen asleep at least 1 hour after having taken the DXM.

When I had woke up roughly 10 hours later, the only evidence that DXM was ever taken was the three empty bottles of Wal-Tussin lying desultorily on the floor and the detailed notes I had written in my drug diary. Other than that, it was as if no DXM had ever been taken.

Maybe the anterograde amnesia from the temazepam erased my memories of the experience. But I suspect that falling asleep before the DXM kicked in had more to do with it.

So my experience makes it difficult to believe sghouston5's claim that sleep somehow potentiates DXM's effects. In fact, the obverse may be the case.

I take DXM at least twice per month. The last time I had taken it, I had taken 250mg of temazepam about 90 minutes beforehand. I had inadvertently fallen asleep at least 1 hour after having taken the DXM.

When I had woke up roughly 10 hours later, the only evidence that DXM was ever taken was the three empty bottles of Wal-Tussin lying desultorily on the floor and the detailed notes I had written in my drug diary. Other than that, it was as if no DXM had ever been taken.

Maybe the anterograde amnesia from the temazepam erased my memories of the experience. But I suspect that falling asleep before the DXM kicked in had more to do with it.

So my experience makes it difficult to believe sghouston5's claim that sleep somehow potentiates DXM's effects. In fact, the obverse may be the case.

Sigh. YOU GUYS.....I simply would not offer information if it wasn't true or some other people have experienced the same thing. Everyone reacts to all substances differently so if.... You remember I said "some people", suggesting that this doesn't happen to ALL people. Lol.

Also, if you had poked around on Google for like 60 seconds you would know what I am talking about. Plenty of people have experienced this, plenty of posts about sleeping then waking up in the dissociated state.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/16238627

http://www.reddit.com/r/Drugs/comments/2238sl/dxm_and_falling_asleep_the_waking_up/

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55622

Read for yourselves, I never claimed that it was "potentiated" by sleep lol? That doesn't even make sense. I was simply suggesting the user's awareness of the drug may be altered upon "waking up". All doses of DXM are different for all people, so the OP might require a different amount to even feel the effects, he may not even be sensitive to the drug at all. There are many variables here.

But as I have stated, and shall state again...DXM is a drug with moderate to little recreational value and should be treated that way. It's a "hit or miss" thing. There is no "real exact dose" with that stuff, it was designed for use as a cough supressant in the place of opiates (for obvious reasons). But due to it's "Ketamine-like" effects in much much higher doses people abuse it. Might as well just try the ketamine...IMO it is seemingly "easier to control the high" while DXM has more unpredictable effects. Also, when railing some K, most people are doing far less than the recommended medical dose, so it's "safer" in that regard. If you like dissociatives, I am definitely not advocating the use of drugs, but Ketamine is great for such a thing. The only "benefit" that DXM has it that it may last several hours, whereas K will only last about an hour.

Whatever you do though...please dear God AVOID PCP lol....

Sigh. YOU GUYS.....I simply would not offer information if it wasn't true or some other people have experienced the same thing. Everyone reacts to all substances differently so if.... You remember I said "some people", suggesting that this doesn't happen to ALL people. Lol.

With DXM, if you stay awake after taking a recreational dose (at least, with some people) it will do nothing more than make you feel a little sedated. However, if you take it, fall asleep about an hour after you take it, then wake up...you will DEFINITELY start to notice it's effects.

where did you say "some people"? you stated it as if it was a fact.
and those links you provided.. they're all about people taking DXM and forgetting they took it, and then waking up tripping. isn't that a bit normal?

With DXM, if you stay awake after taking a recreational dose (at least, with some people) it will do nothing more than make you feel a little sedated.

In the first sentence lol. And sure, some of those folks "forgot" they took it. There are others in those links that say nothing happened to them until they slept and awoke several hours later though. It's all in there, and there are several more links similar available via Google.

Also, it should stand without mentioning, that if you "forgot" you drank an entire bottle of Robitussin and "don't" feel it until you wake up lol my point remains valid. Either that or some people have extremely poor short term memory. I think I would remember snorting a line of coke, drinking a few beers, popping a few pills, eating a few mucinex DXM, drinking a whole bottle of Robitussin Maximum Strenth DXM etc. lol?? See where I am going with that? Not sure you could just "forget" something like that unless either:

A) The person has horrible short term memory
B) My point about taking a micro-nap then waking up "fucked up" (which several people have experienced, not just me) is totally valid because drugs work differently on everyone
C) The person had no idea that drinking an entire bottle (which...is unlikely since MOST people read the instructions and make note of the warning label for proper medical dosage) of DXM HBr would mess them up.

I never said this happens "every single time" I simply suggested that with some people (for whatever reason, it's beyond me why it happens that way) they just feel the effects after a small nap. I even went on in the post to say that the liquid form of DXM seemed to work better than taking the "pills". I am only offering my personal experience with proof and validation of a handful of others experiences this way. I would really appreciate my posts trying to be validated against.

There is no scientific method with this forum, it's all experience based. I really appreciate your constructive criticism, but I am positive that I was trying to help and offer experience from my own use of the "pill" form of DXM. I apologize and delegate all responsibilities to myself if anyone of you were offended.

what is the brand of dxm you take? i find desylm to just make me feel drunk, and hbr usually is alot more trippy to me

what is the brand of dxm you take? i find desylm to just make me feel drunk, and hbr usually is alot more trippy to me

There is no such thing as a "brand" of DXM. That's as asinine as brands of cocaine or brands of MDMA or brands of PCP. A chemical compound either is or is not, but there are no brands nor some existing continuum of is-isn't for unadulterated chemical compounds.

However, in medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, pharmaceutics, and any topically related scientific bailiwick, there are what are known as pharmaceutical formulations. A simple and succinct definition of a formulation (in this context) would be a pharmaceutical or chemical entity that is combined with other chemicals (excipients) for legitimate medicinal/pharmacological purposes and/or as a kind of marketing artifice or guile.

An example of a common pharmaceutical formulation on the market would be codeine + acetaminophen. A more germane example is DXM + acetaminophen or guaifenesin.

Any pharmaceutical that does not solely ccontain a single active constituent, or possesses at least 1 inactive ingredient, or both is a formulation. (However, the existence of inactive ingredients is usually not considered, but only the active ingredients). These formulations are presumably what you meant or had in mind when using "brand".

So, why is my saying all this not just pedantic, inconsequential, jejune nitpicking? Because the thread is supposed to be about DXM and its effects. Therefore, it's irrelevant to question whatever effects whichever ancillary chemicals in the formulation produced.

Moreover, the OP had already made it pretty clear that he had used a product with DXM as the only active ingredient (thereupon rendering any discussion of "brands" (i.e, formulations with other active ingredients) off-topic and pointless) when he says thus:

Also, the only active ingredient in the cough syrup was DXM.

Additionaly , DXM's psychotropic effects vary only moderately between individuals, with the experience being essentially the same for most people. It's only the opinions or value of the experience that varies markedly from person to person. In other words, the preference one has or the quality they impute to the drug. For example, the difference between people who dislike alcohol and those who do not isn't an issue of pharmacology, but of preference and palatability.

Therefore, a product containing only DXM will produce the same or similar effects as another DXM-only product, regardless of brand. Just like pure MDMA has the same effects whether it's called x, ecstasy, molly, XTC, mandy, E, and so forth.

In the first sentence lol. And sure, some of those folks "forgot" they took it. There are others in those links that say nothing happened to them until they slept and awoke several hours later though. It's all in there, and there are several more links similar available via Google.

Also, it should stand without mentioning, that if you "forgot" you drank an entire bottle of Robitussin and "don't" feel it until you wake up lol my point remains valid. Either that or some people have extremely poor short term memory. I think I would remember snorting a line of coke, drinking a few beers, popping a few pills, eating a few mucinex DXM, drinking a whole bottle of Robitussin Maximum Strenth DXM etc. lol?? See where I am going with that? Not sure you could just "forget" something like that unless either:

A) The person has horrible short term memory
B) My point about taking a micro-nap then waking up "fucked up" (which several people have experienced, not just me) is totally valid because drugs work differently on everyone
C) The person had no idea that drinking an entire bottle (which...is unlikely since MOST people read the instructions and make note of the warning label for proper medical dosage) of DXM HBr would mess them up.

I never said this happens "every single time" I simply suggested that with some people (for whatever reason, it's beyond me why it happens that way) they just feel the effects after a small nap. I even went on in the post to say that the liquid form of DXM seemed to work better than taking the "pills". I am only offering my personal experience with proof and validation of a handful of others experiences this way. I would really appreciate my posts trying to be validated against.

There is no scientific method with this forum, it's all experience based. I really appreciate your constructive criticism, but I am positive that I was trying to help and offer experience from my own use of the "pill" form of DXM. I apologize and delegate all responsibilities to myself if anyone of you were offended.
ahah no mate, I'm not offended. it's just that I've never heard of that before and I have enough experience with DXM that if it was common I would've noticed it (I always used with friends too and never happened to them)
It's definitely interesting tough :)

ahah no mate, I'm not offended. it's just that I've never heard of that before and I have enough experience with DXM that if it was common I would've noticed it (I always used with friends too and never happened to them)
It's definitely interesting tough :)

Right on man. Maybe it's just with a few weirdos like me. =)

Op, just go out and try to find a bottle with nothing but dxm hbr. It's the least bumpy ride if you ingest a little at a time and you will trip pretty hard

Note that I edited your swim reference, it's against Bluelight rules.
Perhaps DXM is not a good drug for you?

DXM is NEVER a good drug for any sort of recreational purpose for ANYONE. I personally have way too much experience with it because I'm just a crazy person, and at my worst point in using DXM I took 2,700mgs + and daily for months at a time. It's rather shitty in smaller doses and just ridiculously frightening in larger doses. I seriously was just rotting away in my own skin when I was doing that shit, I lost 50 pounds in two months, always dehydrated, severe muscle cramps, and when I was in rehab it turned out my muscle were eating away at themselves. It's taken to start getting back to my normal functional brain capacity, and I'm still not there. I still slur and stutter a word here and there, blank on very simple words and just can't remember it for the life of me. And I have no real evidence but I believe my extremely excessive abuse of dxm had some type of affect on my brain neurochemistry and played a role as a trigger for the auto immune disease I was diagnosed with two and a half years ago when I was 19, and so I live in terrible chronic pain, and take a truck load of DMARDs and immunosuppressants and supplements and NSAIDs, had to have surgery on my wrist and have to wear braces for nearly every large joint just to keep flares and pain under control.
My point being, dxm with either be a real shitty waste of your time and just like you make you feel extremely sick and you'll think you'll die and that you'll never feel normal, or you'll enjoy dxm and take it often and in larger doses and it will ruin your life, at the very least make it miserable and more difficult to function in society like a normal human.
That's my opinion, if it helps even one person decide not to do it, I'll be so happy. I'd never want someone else to live like I had and deal with the long term consequences that come with it...

DXM is NEVER a good drug for any sort of recreational purpose for ANYONE. I personally have way too much experience with it because I'm just a crazy person, and at my worst point in using DXM I took 2,700mgs + and daily for months at a time. It's rather shitty in smaller doses and just ridiculously frightening in larger doses. I seriously was just rotting away in my own skin when I was doing that shit, I lost 50 pounds in two months, always dehydrated, severe muscle cramps, and when I was in rehab it turned out my muscle were eating away at themselves. It's taken to start getting back to my normal functional brain capacity, and I'm still not there. I still slur and stutter a word here and there, blank on very simple words and just can't remember it for the life of me. And I have no real evidence but I believe my extremely excessive abuse of dxm had some type of affect on my brain neurochemistry and played a role as a trigger for the auto immune disease I was diagnosed with two and a half years ago when I was 19, and so I live in terrible chronic pain, and take a truck load of DMARDs and immunosuppressants and supplements and NSAIDs, had to have surgery on my wrist and have to wear braces for nearly every large joint just to keep flares and pain under control.My point being, dxm with either be a real shitty waste of your time and just like you make you feel extremely sick and you'll think you'll die and that you'll never feel normal, or you'll enjoy dxm and take it often and in larger doses and it will ruin your life, at the very least make it miserable and more difficult to function in society like a normal human.
That's my opinion, if it helps even one person decide not to do it, I'll be so happy. I'd never want someone else to live like I had and deal with the long term consequences that come with it...

It is patently obvious that your problems were not caused by a drug, but resulted from your extreme intemperance and your completely reckless and irresponsible drug use. There isn't a commonly used psychoactive drug in existence that doesn't have thousands of disgruntled, censorious users who—of their own volition and fault—got addicted, overdosed, or had some other avoidable negative experience.

These types usually will not hold themselves and their actions accountable for the experience, but will instead blame the drug—an inanimate, insentient object. They also are likely to admonish and excoriate anyone who uses, has used, or contemplates using the drug (whether responsibly or not), along the way failing completely to notice the many people who use the drug without sustaining any kind of damage afterward.

Moreover, I always found it quite odd how the ones who fail the most or the hardest have more advice to proffer on how to win than do the winners. An ex-addict is not a reliable source of advice on not becoming an addict. The advice of a person who uses drugs and has never become addicted would be more credible, in this case.

It seems the foolish must learn from their own mistakes, while the wise learn from other people's mistakes.

Moreover, I always found it quite odd how the ones who fail the most or the hardest have more advice to proffer on how to win than do the winners. An ex-addict is not a reliable source of advice on not becoming an addict. The advice of a person who uses drugs and has never become addicted would be more credible, in this case.

Well I think the point of ex-addicts talking about their experiences is that if you use a drug, there's a small chance that you'll become addicted, but if you never use a drug there's a 0 chance that you'll become addicted. And obviously that varies a lot based on the drug...with some drugs like nicotine the chances are relatively high, with others like DXM I'd say it's probably incredibly low.

And there are plenty of worthwhile, pleasurable activities which also carry some risks (like eating rich foods or having sex), depending, but I think it really comes down to how worthwhile drug use is overall...which is obviously very subjective. I think that stories of addiction or "bad trips" are pretty entertaining, though, and can serve as a useful counterpoint to the potential good effects of [insert drug here] so people can attempt to make a more informed choice while knowing the risks. Saying something is NEVER this or NEVER that is obviously an overstatement though.

Obviously this is just my very, very strong opinion based upon, yes, my own extreme over abuse and the negative effects it had on me and my life. Maybe it doesn't happen to others, but maybe it does. And if the op didn't get any effects from what they took, it's not wise to try and increase the dosage of dxm. I know that dxm can be a good thing - if used properly for the purpose of usually colds and coughs, I've read somewhere that it can help with pain, it can help lower tolerance to certain other substances. But, in my perhaps biased opinion, it's not a drug that should be used recreationally, especially if no effects were felt the first time at a fairly large dose. It increases liver enzymes, is very rough on the stomach, raises the core body temperature as well as heart rate and blood pressure, can severely although temporarily negatively impact cognitive level of functioning, can cause respiratory problems..the list goes on. It just really isn't a high that's worth it, even more so because you DONT know how someone's body will tolerate it or if the individual is on other medications that interact with it, which quite a lot do.
I also never said I blame the drug, addiction runs deeply in my family and I've gone through pure shit since the moment I was born and used drugs, especially dxm, as a way to escape. I take full accountability for my actions and I always have, I am only trying to share my story to let others know that there can be a very negative and dangerous side to this. I'm not trying to give advice on how not to be an addict, just trying to keep people safe whether it's biased or not.
And moreover, I won't even entertain your notion of "those who fail the most or fall the hardest always have more advice to give on winning than do winners" or whatever nonsense you said. It's simply a vague and generalized shallow belief. People are far deeper and complex and should not be treated or thought of on such a narrow minded level to be grouped and generalized. The only generalizations I will entertain are actual statists, not something from a stranger that I got under their skin with my opinions, and are just trying to make assumptions and pass judgments on me.
Anyway, IN MY OPINION, although I did not think I ended to make that clear given I am the one writing and would not write someone else's opinion, dxm is more dangerous for people than it is as a recreational high and is not worth the time or risks. Just to clarify, it may be biased because I had such a negative experience, but it is an opinion I feel very strongly about, not any fact that it is never good for anyone, no medical advice, just my very strong opinion.