• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Film Recommendations v5 - TBC

Sweet, I think the film totally cheesball but that doesn't stop it being totally amazing a and bona fide 80's cult classic. Is it a good looking film? (I've only ever seen it on VHS) and if so is the blu-rau transfer good? I collect films on BD and I wouldn't mind a copy if it's good and the price is right.

I am yet to watch matey but shall do very soon. Very cheesy but so many good quotable's! and Clancy Brown is just bad ass. Fucking awesome soundtrack too.

Watched a cool film on freeview Horror channel which is quite appropriate to this site: Community

It's a bit racist to council estate scum (like me) and weed smokers (ahem) but i quite enjoyed it nonetheless. Without spoilers, it's a no go estate with feral youth and this really addictive weed that does funny things to you. Two journalism students go in to try and get a story...

Watched a cool film on freeview Horror channel which is quite appropriate to this site: Community

It's a bit racist to council estate scum (like me) and weed smokers (ahem) but i quite enjoyed it nonetheless. Without spoilers, it's a no go estate with feral youth and this really addictive weed that does funny things to you. Two journalism students go in to try and get a story...

Sounds like just what I'm looking for right now :D

I will report back shortly.

Vurtual: Next time you pop your head in is there any chance of you reminding me of the name of that film you recommended a while back - the part-animated sci-fi one. Really enjoyed that but have since completely forgotten the name and fancied giving it another viddy.

In more current viewings news, last night I watched He Never Died. Henry Rollins is a quiet man who lives alone, goes to the same diner every day for oatmeal and tea, bingo three times a week, and regular meetings in the hospital carpark with an intern in need of cash. A simple life for a man that somebody suggests in one scene may be "mildly retarded". Sadly (well, happily for the plot) his quiet simplicity and order is unlikely to last when the 19yo daughter he didn't know existed turns up on his doorstep just as he accidentally crosses the local Mr Big...

Yes, yes that does sound utterly generic but it really isn't. It's just best not reveal too much about the plot as the way little bits build as it goes along works particularly well imo. Not that it's such a major headscratcher (although the specifics will likely elude most (like me) until the end) but it just does it well. Original, fun and with a great line in wry, black humour. I liked it. You may or may not like it. But I'd take a punt you probably will.

That would be The Congress i think. Also recommend Frequencies (OXV: The Manual) if you haven't seen it (i love the ideas in that).

Saw Evil Aliens the other day on Horror channel - quite cheesy, quite funny in places (and funnily gory); ridiculous, killy aliens charging up their saucer on a welsh stone circle, alien babies, alien chainsaws up the arse, ufo nerds, racist to the welsh (but it's alright cos they turn out good in the end) - worth a look (they probably had me at the cameo from Norman Lovett in the intro).

^ That's the one! And a bonus in the form of Frequencies - liked that one a lot too and wouldn't object to a second viewing :)

In somewhat related news, I picked up a copy of Solaris (novel not film) in a charity shop t'other day. Didn't realise The Congress was based on one of his other books. Will have to track that down too.

I note you are in cheesy horror mode of late, Vurt, you seen Deathgasm? Watched it a while back on a whim without knowing anything about it and was very pleasantly surprised. One of the relatively rare films that manage to balance the horror stuff with the comedy stuff and make both work. Well worth a watch imo.

Thanks guys, you've both given me some super recommendations for films I'd like, and well worth the hassle of down loading. Likely, anyhoo worth it eh - thanks Virtual and Shammy X

Have you all seen a Serbian film?

Not seen it, K. Was in a rather dark place when it came out and didn't think it wise. I don't mind me some revolting horror when in the mood, but must admit I don't go in for it half as much as I did in years past.

Having said that, got a load of horror films to watch with my Sadie lady when I'm back home. I won't quite be there for Hallowe'en so will be making up for it with an extra-bonus Hallowe'en'en instead.

Hope you find some pleasing viewing matter =D

A Serbian Film is definitely fucked up. If you're in the right place and of the right mind it is definable worth seeing. If you're into into that kind of thing. It's quite brilliant, it's sick as fuck, pushes boundaries.

You'd like it.

^ That's the one! And a bonus in the form of Frequencies - liked that one a lot too and wouldn't object to a second viewing :)

In somewhat related news, I picked up a copy of Solaris (novel not film) in a charity shop t'other day. Didn't realise The Congress was based on one of his other books. Will have to track that down too...

Stanislaw Lem's The Futurological Congress is a good read - quite different to the film; it's actually more about drugs - taking different drugs provides the 'virtual reality' rather than computers (though he has something similar to the modern internet in there too - and written in the late 60s i think) - it's written as satire and quite funny in places (similar plot in a way to Idiocracy (ie man out of place in the future) - another of my faves (though it becomes less dystopia, more documentary as time goes on)).

I like dystopias - i see them as forward planning. Speaking of which; not strictly a film, but i rewatched A Very British Coup again the other day on 4OD - a mix of nostalgia for 80s drama (keith allen and tim macinnerny (darling) are good), with fear for the chances of establishing democracy against the thousand year old oligarchy and the real government of the civil service ("his father and his father before him, yea even until the middle ages").

Also, again not strictly a film (documentary), but Scott Noble's just Released part 2 of Plutocracy - really excellent account of the not very well known history of labour struggles in america - part 2 explores the International Workers of the World (IWW - the wobblies) in the early 20th century. People really should know about this stuff as it gives a very different picture of american culture than the usual facile redneck portrayal (though ironically, part one suggests the term redneck partly comes from a workers rebellion in the 19th century where they all wore red hankies round their necks).

Overlaps with the fascinating story of the secret behind the wizard of oz (it apparently being all about money and the politics of the late 19th century in america (eg the cowardly lion was Presidential candidate for the populous party william jennings bryan (who sold out to the racist democrats, hence cowardly), the yellow brick road was gold money, the emerald city was lincoln's greenbacks, dorothy's silver slippers represented the silver dollar the populous party campaigned for (they were changed to ruby for the film to show off the new technicolor) etc)

Last edited:
I watched a pretty good movie the other night - gets a bit artsy but still worth a watch

Neon Demon - When aspiring model Jesse moves to Los Angeles, her youth and vitality are devoured by a group of beauty-obsessed women who will take any means necessary to get what she has.

Another one that has a bit of an old school - Twilight zone feel to it is I'm not a serial killer - In a small Midwestern town, a troubled teen with homicidal tendencies must hunt down and destroy a supernatural killer whilst keeping his own inner demons at bay.

Two that I can recommend

Zoom - A multi-dimensional interface between a comic book artist, a novelist, and a film director. Each lives in a separate reality but authors a story about one of the others. It's pretty hard to describe this without spoiling it but it's really worth a watch.

The next one is I think a Spanish remake of 'The Little Death' but this version isn't as dark and has quite a fun feeling about it

Kiki el amour se hace (Love to love) - Through five stories, the movie addresses sex and love:

Might check out the new Jungle book film

Good luck - I tried a few times but gave up (my husband loved it).

Dan if you get the chance watch 'Zoom' - I would be very surprised if you didn't enjoy it.

Good luck - I tried a few times but gave up (my husband loved it).

I'm waiting for the adaption due in 2018, which will mark the directorial debut and first full production from Andy Serkis and his new (ish) Imaginarium Studios, which is a British digital production company, that (obviously if you are a fan of both the man's acting and his ground breaking production work over the past 15 years) specializes in applying motion capture technology in film, television and video games.

Although he has, quite unbelievably, not yet directed a feature of his own, his work as director of the 2nd unit on the recent 'The Hobbit' trilogy and his long standing collaborations with Weta Digital and, more recently, his joint work with his Imaginarium Studios and Weta (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes) and with Industrial Light and Magic (Avengers: Age of Ultron and Star Wars Episode VI- The Forxce Awakens) paces him at the forefront of motion capture technology, something that would be well utilised on his version of the Jungle Book, and the rest of his credentials as an actor and as a director speak for themselves.

I have never seen or read the Jungle Book (and by seen I am referring to the classic Disney adaption) and, in light of Bears comments regarding the film currently on release, I think I'll wait for Master Serkis to tell me the story when he is ready to do so.

Watched Lady in the Van a couple of weeks ago. A nice movie, laid back and a good sense of humor.... not sure if it is actual cinema material though. Good acting too

Also had a lil time and saw Crimson Peak. Beautiful looking indeed, good art direction and everything but I just found it a bit empty and unsatisfying somewhat. Though I was watching it with some interruptions due to work obligations so that may have played a part in me not giving it enough attention.

Stee if you haven't seen the original then you might like this new 'Jungle Book' - I tried a few times but just didn't like it, my partner on the other hand really enjoyed it.

This is a bit of an old one and I've mentioned it before but 'Under the skin' is a fairly strange movie and well worth a watch (It's what I thought of when I read the 'Lady in a van' above :D).