• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

EADD Film Recommendations v5 - TBC

Suppose it'd generally come under the "drug film" banner and not seen it mentioned recently - Twin Town..

That's cuz yer going blind or summat ..... ;p

I quoted it just the other day ...kinda

Ace little flick, written/dir by Keith Allen's brother iirc, which I probably don't.

The quote was when the two bent coppers are outside Swansea (I think, might've been Cardiff) train station, and he's re quotes the 'ambition is (fucking) critical' quote from where it's laid in stone on the pavement, and says something like 'Pretty Shitty City' being a more appropriate one (or somthing along those lines) It was Dougray Scott too, back when he hot and not all Hollyweird).

I preferred the twin's uber slutty, quick witted, potty-mouthed sister Adie tho ... fancied her for ages and rewatched it many times.
Adie:
SSiF8Re.jpg

and TWOC of the AC Cobra ...

I'm running out of films - i do this every few years: get into films, then proceed to download everything i'm interested in until there's nothing left. Hurry up world and produce more interesting sf films! This time i've been looking at a 'list of all sci-fi films' in IMDB - working back in time, torrenting everything that interests (like 1 in 10 of the films at most) - the list has got this graph of films over time and it's heartening to see how exponential the growth of sci fi films has been - the last few years have a similar amount to the previous 10 (roll on the singularity!)). Anyway to the films:

Immortal (ad vitam) - a (mostly) animated dystopic(ish) future world, a bit like 5th element crossed with stargate (mysterious egyptian gods from space). Some nice visuals, though some of the animation looks a bit dated (2004) and shoddy (the people sort of look like GTA models or something). Watchable but maybe drags a bit.

Metropia - Another animated dystopia - animation's a bit more modern with photo-textures or something (pretty much the people from the british gas adverts with the big heads). Quite moody, quite nice animation effects; though doesn't really add much to the dystopian genre but is watchable.

Life Tracker
- Interesting indy film that does well on a small budget; about a technology that can predict your future from analysing your dna - the film is like 'found footage' like they're creating a documentary about the technology. Does quite well and explores some interesting issues by the end (required a big suspension of belief to accept you can tell the actual future from your dna, but it didn't bother me)

Xchange - Fairly conventional scifi/thriller about a technology that lets you swap into other people's bodies; but also allows cheap copies/clones to be made for work tasks, which just happen to look like stephen baldwin (handily as he's the actor playing them) (i think i know the book this idea was ripped off from (david brin, kil'n copy)). Bit standard action but just about watchable.

World on a Wire
- This is a fascinating german tv series from the 70s about virtual reality - amazingly far out for the time (and the german characters/chauvanism are funny). They basically had the matrix back then, on telly (while we watched benny hill). Great atmosphere, far out jarring synth noises, kitsch style. If this is too much work (it's quite a bit), the book this was based on was also made into an american version...

The Thirteenth Floor - Basically an american version of the same story (simulacron 3) - virtual reality/matrix and all that jazz. This version is good, but made a bit cheesy (they have to make the virtual reality based in the 1930s in black and white like philip marlowe - how original!). Good though.

(not scifi but) Hidden Agenda - A ken loach film based in northen ireland, about the troubles, but also about the much wider general corruption of the uk establishment, and how they connived to get thatch into power (a silghtly fictionalised version of what actually happened in the 70s (the 'Wilson plots')). Really good because it's basically a true story and not many people know about it (might seem to be a bit pro-republican for some, but the important part is about the uk government more than NI itself)

Spider - By david cronenberg. This was a rewatch and probs mentioned it before - one of my favourite films. An excellent portrayal of madness from the inside; amazing performance from miranda richardson and fiennes - really pulls me in this one.

Kafka - Stephen sodherberg's film with jeremy irons. Semi biography, mostly portrayal of a mash up of kafka stories. Moody, well shot, kafkaesque (though maybe not quite enough for me). Quite enjoyable, but a bit unsatisfying in some way (maybe that's the point or something).

Schizopolis - Then tried this other sodherberg film. Pretty mad film about a bloke in a cult sort of based on scientology. Very wacky structure, some quite funny interludes; confusing. The lead actor was funny in places (the bit where he pulls faces near the start was cool [just found out this is actually stephen sodherberg himself]). Doesn't really cohere much, but i did want to watch the end (drugs helped)

Another Rewatch - They Live - classic carpenter 80s film about glasses that reveal the aliens amongst us (it's basically david icke). Good film, though they could have saved 20 minutes by dropping the overlong homoerotic fisticuffs session in the middle. The visuals when they wear the glasses were really cool (OBEY). Felt they could have made a bit more effort to assure us that the aliens weren't meant to be jews. Bit in the laughable action mould (mullets, jokey pre-fight quips), but still good.

It's Swansea Marmz. "The Graveyard of ambition". Which isn't quite what the Dylan Thomas plaque says outside the railway station. Except it's not even Thomas, it's another Swansea poet David Hughes.

Didn't think much of Metropia (didn't even finish watching it)

Just watched 300: Rise of an Empire.. Enjoyed it =D

Sunday matinee for today was Noah - as threatened by Bear. Am quite surprised to find myself disagreeing with him though cos actually quite liked it. No great masterpiece for sure but was expecting far, far worse. Given it's a big CGI-laden summer blockbuster kinda thing it's surprisingly not shit. Well, it is a bit shit to be sure but considering how bad it should've been anything above complete shit has to count as a bonus. Hard to see who it was aimed at really. It's nowhere near mindless enough to satisfy folks who go in for big CGI-laded summer blockbusters but is CGI-laden summer blockbustery enough to be a bit off-putting fot folks who like a bit of depth and complexity. Oddly enough it has far more of the latter than the former but can't imagine many looking for such things would even think to try it. Unless they happen to be a Darren Aronofsky fan I suppose - usually promises something worth watching but Black Swan was godawful so wasn't expecting much for his stab at a big CGI-laden summer blockbuster.

Surprisingly lacking in animals but also surprisingly lacking in shiteness.

aye I watched Noah the other day and it was indeed much better than i thought it would be.

Guardians of the Galaxy is great fun and worth watching in the cinema :) (One of the better movies I've seen in a while)

Guradians of the Galaxy was a great fun movie. nothing too deep but actiony and fun.

watched To the Wonder, movie by Terrance Malick. when i watched it i kinda disliked it. thinking of it back... well, it s nicely shot, the music is appropriate, the mood is meditative, and im all for movies leaving stuff to the imagination, but i feel this one leaves a little too much to the imagination. you can still see there s a message that the director wants you to get, but theres a bit too little substance to actually "get" anything. confusing rather than straight up bad.

Only lovers left alive - I can see some may like this a lot more than i did, but the mood is well chosen and the themes are interesting. i bet someone with more love for tilda swinton will appreciate it more.

Saw "Lucy" yesterday. Interesting film, I like luc besson movies, this one is action packed and Scarlet Johansson is a fine lady ;)

divergent - crap. crap. boring crap. not even funny. not even once. main actress was ok in it, but thats a type i like. everyone else sucked in it.

looking forward to lucy actually, though i read a bit about it and it appears to derail itself towards the later acts

aye I watched Noah the other day and it was indeed much better than i thought it would be.

yeah, this, most pleasant surprise of the year

who was looking for a drug film? its probably been discussed to death already, but 'The Wolf of Wall Street' is amazing, already classic Scorsese in my humble opinion, and is absolutely chock-a-block with drug lovin'.

Watched a few recently...

War of the Worlds - An entertaining enough remake... it was actually rather scary at times almost, which comes down to the suspense rather than anything actually terrifying.

Flawless - An interesting little heist movie that isn't quite as formulaic as it first seems. Michael Caine of course put in a good performance but Demi Moore was great too.

The Guardian - One of those movies for evenings where you seem to have less brain cells in operation than normal. A rather long film about U.S. Coast Guard training that seems to act like many of the military genre movies as one big recruitment advert... I was rather sceptical of it having Ashton Kutcher in but Kevin Costner played his role pretty solidly. Still, I rather enjoyed it.

Yojimbo - the first old Samurai film I have watched. It is meant to be a tribute to the westerns of John Ford according to the back of the DVD... never been a big fan of westerns on the whole but this was certainly entertaining. It builds up quite well with a good dose of humour throughout & although the sword fights are a lot more straightforward, that doesn't take away from the film. Deservedly a classic.

The Hunter - Willem Defoe plays the part of an obsessive hunter sent to hunt the last Tasmanian Tiger. It raises many questions of the morality of hunting & gets more satisfying the further into it you get.

Last edited:
yeah, this, most pleasant surprise of the year

who was looking for a drug film? its probably been discussed to death already, but 'The Wolf of Wall Street' is amazing, already classic Scorsese in my humble opinion, and is absolutely chock-a-block with drug lovin'.

Was me looking for the drug film, found loads already. Seen wolf of wall street, loved it, one of two films this year that have shot into my top 3 even after only seeing them once. Watched blow the other day at last which was enjoyable... naturally as it had plenty of cocaine in ;) other than that I haven't watched anything else recently, don't tend to do films that often.

Watched the first of the two Dead Space films recommended above last night and if that's meant to be the good one it doesn't bode well for the sequel... unless you go with the principle that anybody who found even the tiniest of saving points in that piece of shit has such appaling taste in films that anythig worth watching would almost inevitably go waaaaaaay over their head so is probably worth a punt on that basis. Truly terrible with absolutely no redeeming features beyond its mercifullly brief runtime. And even then if you can make 73m feel like several eternities you really do have a true cinematic turd on your hands. Dire.