• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

EADD Film Recommendations v5 - TBC

Bang on about any type of film you like, we all like lots of different types of films, doesnt really matter whats currently being discussed

Quite. Wide taste tends to be a sign of good taste in my experience.

Yep Spudgun think we all like all sorts of odd, rare and unusual films...I can certainly confirm that Shambles has surprising pretty off road taste in films and I think he could vouch for me in that department too. 8) =D

I think the worst film I have ever ridden out is 'Kaboom' but it is so bad no doubt it has some sort of cult status watched one that nearly matched it tuther night...name escapes me damn it.

We actually could probably do with an off shoot of this thread with 'worst films-not to be recommended under any circumstances' and try and save people losing a couple of hours of their lives they will never get back...but then again I could see serious arguments arising. All subjective.

Cheers Dan

Well has anyone noticed that up until Spring this year has been a proper golden age? Blue is the warmest colour, Nymphomaniac, Inside Llewelyn Davis, The dallas buyers club, Frank, more recently - Under the Skin (with one of the best soundtracks in years). Anyone else feels like it's been a bit dead recently? Or am I missing something?

Just saying I could bang on and on about certain kinds of film, when it wouldn't really fit with the types of film being discussed and would bore the shit out of everyone.When topics arise I feel can comment on, I join in (just like any other thread). TBH it was just a bit of nonsense I'm apt to spout.
we like the same stuff, and directors. I could do the same. so could shamz. I'm more likely to list my fave directors (or auteurs etc) than I am individual films.

I'm big on atmospheric directors, and those particularly interested in the subtleties, nuances and extremeties of humanity ... I liked most of the directors on the list you made somewhere recently.

If youve ever got any recommends you dont post cos you dont think folks will be interested, please post em anyway. There's a heap of folks here interested in non generic stuff.

I like shite as well as decent auteur stuff tho. Conair gets a regular rewatch. I watch 90% more shite than I would have done years ago now tho, because I used to go watch it on big screen. Local arthouse place doing directors runs has shut down now unfortunately

Cronenberg's my guy tho. Ahead of his time, like Herzog ... Herzog's a bit special tho, cos he's the only one who's doing what he's doing. He 'gets' things and manages to film the ineffable, which makes him a bit special. And he fucking cares. Which makes him even more special.

/rambling shite

Herzog is a genius. Am a big fan of his documentaries as well as his films. Not many directors can do both justice - even fewer could be considered genuine masters of both.

Anybody else see the special Mark Kermode did on him a while back where he's interviewing Herzog at the side of a road when some nutter shot him drive-by stylee? Could only happen to Herzog and never did look into whether it was a real incident or some pre-planned fukkery. Either are entirely possible really.

Herzog FACT! - Last thing Ian Curtis did before hanging himself was watch Stroszek. Is a belter of a film but even in my more miserable years that last classic shot isn't that depressing.

I just watched Frances Ha

It was a fun quirky little film... but not as good as I thought it was going to be from seeing the trailer many moons ago. Worth it all the same though.

Ok, since the door of self-indulgence has been allowed to crack open, here're a trio of recommendations representing all segments of my brow.(also they're not necessarily what I consider the best crafted films, but are personal to me):

1) Los Spoorloos (the Vanishing) - do not, I repeat, DO NOT, watch the jeff bridges travesty remake. It's unbelievable what they did to it. Something uniquely disturbing about this film, plus it fits nicely with my obsession with motorway services.

2) Solaris (the Tarkovsky version) - think I've mentioned elsewhere that the director almost deliberately tried to put people off at the beginning with slow sequences, but once you're tuned into the pace of the film, there are some truly transcendent moments (anti-grav: say no more). Plus its philosophical implications 'really make you fink' for ages after seeing. I've heard Will Self say it's his favourite film and it's clear to see why. If you can, see it at the cinema. I rented it twice and couldn't last the distance with distractions present. That makes it sound boring, but by no means is it. You've just got to achieve an almost trance like state, which is a lot easier to do in the cinema. It's well, well worth it - buzzing for days after.

3) Together - this is by Lukas Moodysson, who's better known for crushingly depressing films, however I think this is the happiest film I've seen (something about it) It's my go-to come-down film. The ending never fails to set the widest grin upon my face (and some glistening eyes, depending on how far I'd gone the night before).

Those are 3 I love. If you'd asked me tomorrow I don't doubt not one would be the same, but there you go.

I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
Love Herzog too - My favourite, Stroszek, was apparently what Ian Curtis was watching before he did the deed. Hardly surprising.

I just watched Frances Ha

It was a fun quirky little film... but not as good as I thought it was going to be from seeing the trailer many moons ago. Worth it all the same though.

Yeah I went in there thinking "woe betide you, you kooky cow", but ended up quite liking it in a saturday afternoon kind of way. I guess my prejudice came from Juno - I had to emerge the miasma of kookiness less than an hour in. Only time I've walked out of a film.

Is that a FACT!?!! I never knew that... ;)

First two of your picks are classics and would wholeheartedly recommend 'em too. Third one I've not seen (nor even heard of) but will look into it (assuming I remember to 8)) cos you do seem to have rather fine taste in films :)

Cheers!

I was using 'apparently' in the 'coincided with predicted time of death in radio times and was referenced in 24hr Party People" sense ;)

The third film is a bit 'niche' - in fact you'll probably hate it. It's just one which is consistently 'feel-good', so quite utilitarian for me. Plus it contains the line "Washing up is bourgeois" - which may be my epithet. =D

I thought K-Pax was one of the better sci-fi films I'd seen in the past year or so (although it's 13 years old now)..

There's a few more goodies I've got somewhere up there.. now to just remember the names..

I really enjoyed K-Pax... big fan of Jeff Bridges, although of course Kevin Spacey was the gem in that film.

Just finished watching "Deconstructing Harry" - never widely rated as a Woody Allen film, but it turns out it's one of my favourites. Very funny for one of his later ones.

Also, fans of 'Curb' will notice that a whole episode basically plagiarises an aspect of it.

Incidentally - Robin Williams was in it, and he wasn't being loud, annoying or sentimental (RIP and all that)

Last edited:
Thought tonight would be a fitting night to finish watching Awakenings

Robin Williams played his role solidly even though it was De Niro who stole the performance, as you would expect all things considered. R.I.P.

I have vague memories of it... sure it was watchable if nothing else. Got a feeling it was good though.