Assignment Legal high survey (open to all - no experience with drugs needed)

LegalHighsPhD

Greenlighter
Hi,

If anyone has time, I'd be grateful if you could complete an online survey which takes about 10 minutes. I am a PhD student and I am researching opinions and experiences related to legal high use. It's still helpful even if you haven't taken any legal highs before.

To take part in this survey, please follow the link below:
https://qtrial2014.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8CVKxTnTrVUQzI1

If you would like to discuss any aspect of this study, please contact Ursula Blaszko via the private message system or email: [email protected].

Thanks for your time!

Ursula

Hi. I've just completed the survey as I said I would in PM.

There's a few issues I found with it though. The first issue isn't so major, but might make your results a bit hard to process, when you ask for example what people see as the desired and undesired effects of legal highs you leave that quite vague - are you asking people to describe one legal high in particular? To select a few legal highs and describe those? Or legal highs as a whole? Because each drug can be so vastly different it's like night and day, both in their desirables and undesirables. I tried my best to answer how I could based on that though.

Also, in the sections where you ask for the amounts of a particular drug that I've taken at once, there are no measurements, and it's limited to a maximum number of 500 - so I don't understand what units I'm supposed to be working in, since it varies for each drug, for example LSD is measured in micrograms, with a dose being say 150 micrograms (which is 0.15 milligrams for example) while a dose of weed could be in the several grams range. There wouldn't be any problems if you made those fields into text fields rather than numerical fields, then for example someone could specify "200mg" or "200ug" or "1g" etc, but since you didn't do that, your results might be a bit hard to read.

For example, GHB + GBL. You put those under one section, so I wasn't sure which to go with for the dosing, I figured since GBL is ultimately a pro-drug for GHB, I'd go with my GHB dosage. So I put 2. Reading that, what would you assume I meant? In this case I meant 2g, but I could have meant 2ml of GHB, which would be like 0.75g or something, or I could have meant 2ml of GBL which would be like 3g of GHB.. etc ;)

If it helps process my answers then I worked in the normal unit of measurement for each drug, i.e. if a dose is normally in milligrams, then my answer is probably in milligrams, if its normally in grams, my answer is probably in grams etc - the ones that might stand out as not making sense might be Ketamine or Weed. In those I was referring to grams (i.e. average amount smoked 0.2g/200 milligrams, max amount smoked in one go 3.5g/3500 milligrams) and with Ketamine (i.e. average amount taken 0.25g/250 milligrams, max amount taken in one go 1g/1000 milligrams). If you aren't sure about any of the other numbers, drop me a PM.

It'd help if you changed those to text fields if you can. Would make it a lot easier for future respondents, and for yourself. Otherwise you're not going to be able to tell what people meant by their answers, since it doesn't allow you to move on if you for example put "1g", it just gives an error telling me I need to enter a proper number. That'd also help with some of the numbers where I really wasn't sure if I'd taken a drug 5x or 10x or 20x or whatever and could write > 5 just to make it clear that I know it's at least that but have no real idea how much larger the number is. The numbers for how many times I'd taken a specific drug were fairly rough estimates, I've tried a lot of things over the past 5 years of my life and my memory of how many times I've taken most of them is very inaccurate, so bear that in mind when reading my number responses. (In particular this applies to the "Amount of times consumed in the last 12 months" field, since for the majority of drugs I've tried, I haven't had any of them in the last 8 months, after I went through a little reworking on my use, but the 4 months prior I'd been binging heavily on all sorts in a very self-destructive manner :/ it's been a long time since then and so I couldn't really say how many times I took a lot of the things I took but unfortunately it was quite a lot during that period. I guess for me particularly a "Last 6 months" and "Last 2 years" set of fields would have shown a more interesting perspective of how my use grew massively and then shrunk down over that time.

Also since as I mentioned I've tried quite the large number more than the selection there (despite having not tried quite a few of the selected examples) I'd be willing to answer more about amounts and such about other ones I've taken in PM if you want a more detailed list or whatever. I wouldn't be able to answer that for a lot of the things I've taken since I've simply taken too many (I know, was a bit wild in my experimentation over the past few years, even if many things I only tried 1-2x) but I could do it for a chunk of ones that you didn't list if extra data helps, just let me know.

Hope this helps, also you probably noticed my responses to the text section were quite long - I hope this isn't an issue, I just felt like since the questions weren't super specific and were fairly broad in their nature I should give an equally broad answer covering all the possible aspects you might be asking about. Also if you want any more information or want to ask additional questions about some of my answers, feel free to drop me a PM - some of those answers I'd prefer not to give more details about publicly but would happily do so in a private message. :)

Hope the survey goes well! :D

Last edited:
Hi! Thanks for taking part in my survey and pointing out some of the issues.

I'm aware that this is very much work in progress and I welcome feedback from other people. The exchange of ideas can only be a good thing for research and science in general. :)

This is an exploratory survey, hence my questions are fairly broad and open to your interpretation. It's up to you how much and what type of information you want to write about. If your answers are long - that's fine, and if they're short - that's fine too. If you're describing one legal high in particular or legal highs as a whole - either is fine. There are no right or wrong answers, I'm looking for a diversity of experiences and opinions about legal high use.

I adapted the survey to reflect your comments about the frequency of use and units of measurement. I agree these are at best estimates, rather than definite numbers, and I'm interested in those as an indication of different patterns of use (for example, novice versus experienced users etc.)

Hope this answers your concerns! :)

Sweet, glad to see that you looked at the units part :) the broad questions thing was less of a complaint more just me concerned my replies might have been a bit long and vague - but sounds like that isn't a problem, which I'm glad to hear.

I'd encourage others to take part and take a little time out to complete the survey, I think if a nice selection of people from across the board with different types of drug use/drug use history could provide a really interesting set of responses and give some insight as to what effect the greater emergence of legal highs and legislation regarding them has had. Especially the contrast between users of various "blends/bath salts/smelling salts/other branded highs" and the specific known chemicals themselves, and whether or not the legality of something influences the majority of peoples decision to use it or not would be something I'd personally love to see.

Thanks! :) I'm really just interested in what others have to say about their ideas and experiences of these new(ish) types of drugs. I think what I'm getting at is how individual decisions are made either to use these different types of drugs or not. At the moment it seems to be that opinions at the more extreme end are dominating the general knowledge around legal high use, ignoring the diversity of opinions and experiences. I'm hoping to get a more accurate picture of who uses legal highs and why (or why not) and engage a wider spectrum of people in our communities (regardless of whether they have taken any legal high or illicit drug before).

I'd appreciate it if you could tell others about the survey too and encourage them to take part.

Thanks again for your time!

Just want to say thanks to those who already took part in the research :) I've had a great response to my survey and I'm feeling extra motivated to get more interest to encourage people to take part!

Thank you everyone for taking part in my survey. I am now in the process of reading and making sense of the responses to the survey. Your narratives have given me a new insight on legal high experiences and I have found the exchange of ideas to be very useful.

Based on these insights, I have developed a followed-up survey and I would greatly appreciate if you could take 5 minutes to complete it. It is still helpful even if you have already taken part in my previous survey.

To take part in the follow-up survey, please follow the link below:
https://qtrial2014.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_4NqQqukTh9554mp

As a token of my appreciation, all respondents will be entered into a prize draw for an iPad Mini (if you wish to do so). The draw will take place on Wednesday 1st April 2015 (01/04/2015).

Many thanks for your time!
Ursula

Last edited: