• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Has anyone ever found a way to drink while gaining minimal amounts of weight?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
This is probably a stupid thread, and yet something I am sure many people have wondered about.

I'm sure there are more and less caloric alcohol beverages, and I'm interested in knowing people's opinions on that, though I've found some online.

I'm really into red wine though which is one of the more caloric forms of alcohol I am guessing.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or strategies to not gaining a whole lot of weight while still getting drunk 2-3 times a week??

I don't see what could really be said other than answers like: drink less, drink less caloric alcohol, diet and eat well other than alcohol, don't over eat, and exercise a lot....

But you just never know...there may be strategies that people have had that work well for them that I am unaware of.

After all...I DO know people who drink more than me and don't gain as much weight as I do...and yet I don't know how they do it.

Calories in, calories out...obviously....there's no tricking your body into thinking you've consumed less than you have.

Plus...I ASSUME alcohol can mess with one's metabolism...but I'm not sure....does anyone know??

Or perhaps there are ways to increase the alcohol intoxication without making things too dangerous and still consuming less calories...but I wouldn't be looking to combine it with dangerous CNS depressants either....

I know people have pulled off getting drunk 2-3 times a week while not gaining a whole lot of weight, but none have ever shared their strategies with me.

If anyone has any ideas I don't know of, let me know.

By the way, if it helps to know the context I am actually only considering drinking 2-3 times a week for 2-3 weeks...then going on a diet and NOT drinking for over a month probably.

So if you take into account the short term usage of alcohol here, perhaps the answer to avoiding weight gain over that 2-3 week period might be simpler.

Or I'll just be told not to drink so much lol.

But if anyone has tips that have worked for them, please let me know.

Thanks

Hell, if I can GAIN weight by drinking alcohol....sounds good to me! I need to get some pounds back on me. Beer will do the trick you think? (sorry I can't be of help)
BTW - drink hard LIQUOR if you want to lessen the calorie intake. :)

Hell, if I can GAIN weight by drinking alcohol....sounds good to me! I need to get some pounds back on me. Beer will do the trick you think? (sorry I can't be of help)

Do you have some condition that makes it hard to gain weight or have extremely fast metabolism or something?

I don't see how drinking could NOT help you gain weight but it's not going to help you gain HEALTHY weight so I'd certainly not recommend it at all whatsoever...

You can't just eat a much higher caloric diet full of good fats (eggs, nuts, lean meats, avocados, etc) and a lot more good carbs (tons of low Gi fruits) and try to bulk up at the gym??

If that doesn't work...the old Pizza, burito and chinese food diet should do it without being QUITE as unhealthy (or at least not in the same way...) as drinking lol.

Having trouble gaining weight was a problem I wish I had...but I know people who also have the same problem as you so I know it's not exactly fun either.

I'm not really fat either...just have a beer gut from drinking.

If it weren't for that I'd probably be a normal weight and I'm good at dieting and getting the weight off, it's just KEEPING it off with more than just a TINY bit of alcohol in the equation that is quite difficult...

Comes down to genes and metabolism. Mine is extremely high, and top that I'm pretty active and I eat healthy, yet I find it hard to gain a pound no matter what I do. Appetite is actually an issue for me, I need to make sure I eat enough to keep my weight stable, I've definitely gotten skinny in the past. I'm about perfect weight right now and I drink a bottle of red wine a night. Recently, I was drinking 750ml of cheap whiskey to myself every two days for months straight, and while this was bad for other things, I never saw any weight gain. I do, however, religiously drink liters (yes, liters) of water as I sporadically wake up through out the night (normal). Again, this is just me and as YOU of all people know, things like this affect the two of us quite differently.

Try to stick to clear liquors, don't drink beer and make sure you drink a lot of water, all the time. Water, water, water, all day, it's the best thing you can do if nothing else.

In the end, alcohol sucks, is a dirty drug, IS actually a poison ;) and there's so much else to choose from out there. Cannabis is obviously a great substitute, kratom is fantastic for any situation where alcohol is appropriate, kava can be fun, kanna too, the list goes on...

I never gained weight when I use to drink, in fact I would lose some weight.......I also had a high metabolism rate.

I also didn't drink every night, I use to get drunk on the weekends, that's the only time I drank.

Drinking while working during the week don't mix well.......

I haven't noticed significant weight gain from alcohol (I drink 5-6 beers a day on average.) I think the "beer belly" has more to do with the bullshit that one eats when drunk.

Comes down to genes and metabolism. Mine is extremely high, and top that I'm pretty active and I eat healthy, yet I find it hard to gain a pound no matter what I do. Appetite is actually an issue for me, I need to make sure I eat enough to keep my weight stable, I've definitely gotten skinny in the past. I'm about perfect weight right now and I drink a bottle of red wine a night. Recently, I was drinking 750ml of cheap whiskey to myself every two days for months straight, and while this was bad for other things, I never saw any weight gain. I do, however, religiously drink liters (yes, liters) of water as I sporadically wake up through out the night (normal). Again, this is just me and as YOU of all people know, things like this affect the two of us quite differently.

Try to stick to clear liquors, don't drink beer and make sure you drink a lot of water, all the time. Water, water, water, all day, it's the best thing you can do if nothing else.

In the end, alcohol sucks, is a dirty drug, IS actually a poison ;) and there's so much else to choose from out there. Cannabis is obviously a great substitute, kratom is fantastic for any situation where alcohol is appropriate, kava can be fun, kanna too, the list goes on...

Of course alcohol is pure poison.

Problem is that I only smoke weed 2-3 weeks a year during my vacation (which is coming up) and the best way I have found to enjoy myself is to frequently mix it with alcohol, especially red wine, which gets rid of the anxiety and creates the best synergistic high that I myself have experienced.

For me, my DOC is not any one drug...it's the alcohol + weed combo, particularly good red wine and herb.

If I had access to Indica I might be less likely to drink as much, but I don't.

I enjoy Kratom, but only twice a week so as not to get addicted, Kava has never worked for me, Kanna conflicts with my meds, etc.

My metabolism is obviously MUCH slower than yours, so what you've done won't work the same way for me.

I guess just exercise as much as possible every day, eat well and not too much ASIDE from the alcohol, drink a lot of water, and maybe more frequently drink clear liquors and hard liquor as opposed to wine or beer though I greatly prefer wine especially.

I haven't yet seen how the Kratom + weed synergy is, and it might be that the 2 days a week I do that I will not want to drink, but again, I only use it twice a week because I think more than that will get me addicted.

Not sure there's any other tips anyone has.

If I had access to every drug under the sun I might find one that had a better synergy with cannabis to produce the effects I want without the calories....but I've never found one yet that does it like weed and red wine other than nitrous which is far too short acting...

And again...keep in mind, this is only a "I want to get drunk 2-3 times a week for 2-3 weeks and not gain more than 2-3lbs MAX (preferably not but lets be realistic)...then go on a diet and NOT drink" scenario.

Short term deal.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed significant weight gain from alcohol (I drink 5-6 beers a day on average.) I think the "beer belly" has more to do with the bullshit that one eats when drunk.

It's obviously BOTH and one's metabolism, but when I or most people get really drunk it is VERY easy to consume 1,000 extra calories in alcohol.

So if your daily diet is what it should be, well...you do the math...it's still gonna add up unless you have a super fast metabolism which I don't or you find a way to exercise it all off which would take a LOT of hard work...

I guess you could say that I drink with weed because there's a particular high I chase, and the only ways to produce it seem to me to be: alcohol + weed (especially red wine), Nitrous + weed (too short acting), Percoset/Oxy or Vicodin + weed (no access to these drugs), Shrooms + weed (no access to shrooms).

I think Kratom + weed MIGHT be a possible substitute, but again, only twice a week so as not to get addicted, and Kava seems promising but never works when I try it.

It's a floaty, SUPER-heady, anxiety relieving, CNS depressant yet also slightly psychedelic from weed-type of a feeling.

Pure weed by itself just never does the trick because it just produces too much anxiety by itself.

Hence the alcohol.

So it becomes 2 questions: 1) achieving that state without alcohol 2) and/or with minimal weight gain and minimal health defects from the booze.

I also don't have much money either lol.

It's such a damn shame how so many good drugs are illegal or obscure yet alcohol is so damn readily available and worse than most or all of them.

It is what it is I guess...take your risks and deal with the consequences...

Well, again, you seem to have a different makeup than I, but as long as you'd be keeping the kratom to a couple times a week thing, in the evening to unwind, I don't think you'll find a better or safer cannabis-combo on this planet and I doubt you'd get physically addicted. Psychological addiction varies INSANELY for everyone though, and from what I've gathered about you particularly so far, perhaps this is a tree you shouldn't bark up, but then again, I don't know. All I know is with a low tolerance, a good kratom buzz with a bowl of weed at the peak rivals the satisfaction of some of the best, most dangerous drugs out there....and FARRRRR surpasses anything alcohol could EVER dream of being.

...and let's not pretend alcohol isn't addictive. As a matter of fact, I find it far more habit-forming than kratom. Kratom simply becomes routine because of how useful it proves to be, whereas alcohol has more classically fiendy addictive properties IMO.

Try pregabalin, that might give you the feeling you are looking for. Its also a a lot more healthier than alcohol, especially if you only want to take it twice a week, and then smoke weed with it. I hate weed, but from other reports pregabalin and weed synergise extreamly well.

edit: I just read the bit where you said you don't have much money, in that case try gabapentin and weed lol. Also both drugs can have nasty WDs if you overuse them (everyday) but you seem like you have some self control.

Well, again, you seem to have a different makeup than I, but as long as you'd be keeping the kratom to a couple times a week thing, in the evening to unwind, I don't think you'll find a better or safer cannabis-combo on this planet and I doubt you'd get physically addicted. Psychological addiction varies INSANELY for everyone though, and from what I've gathered about you particularly so far, perhaps this is a tree you shouldn't bark up, but then again, I don't know. All I know is with a low tolerance, a good kratom buzz with a bowl of weed at the peak rivals the satisfaction of some of the best, most dangerous drugs out there....and FARRRRR surpasses anything alcohol could EVER dream of being.

...and let's not pretend alcohol isn't addictive. As a matter of fact, I find it far more habit-forming than kratom. Kratom simply becomes routine because of how useful it proves to be, whereas alcohol has more classically fiendy addictive properties IMO.

Of COURSE alcohol is physically and mentally addictive, but me PERSONALLY, I've never gotten PHYSICAL withdrawal, and IMO it seems it would probably be pretty hard for it to happen with the frequency I've drank before while still being able to abruptly stop for significant periods of time with no problems other than some mild cravings at most.

You are correct, psychological addiction, especially with the physical effects of an opioid, is not a tree I want to bark up.

I've done my research and talked to many people on here at length and learned the ropes with Kratom pretty well so far but I will NEVER tempt fate by doing it more than twice a week.

Sure, I MIGHT get away with it...but I'm not playing that game with the withdrawal effects I have heard some get, it just does not seem worth it to me.

But if/when I try the combo, I'm very much looking forward to that.

Still....with only 2-3 weeks off to have some fun...I don't see some alcohol not entering the picture...

I think I'd probably drink less because of 2 days a week of the Kratom combo when instead other times I might be tempted to use alcohol those nights...so that's good...

It's cool man...I think there's probably not many other answers out there with the limited access to other drugs I have, and even WITH that I just LOVE red wine plus weed.

I guess I could just go to the gym everyday, try to drink less caloric beverages, diet and eat well OTHER than the booze and drink lots of water.

I REALLY wish nitrous was long acting though...that stuff is SO nice with weed...ok I am rambling.

I doubt anyone else could have any better ideas, but thanks for trying.

Last edited:
Try pregabalin, that might give you the feeling you are looking for. Its also a a lot more healthier than alcohol, especially if you only want to take it twice a week, and then smoke weed with it. I hate weed, but from other reports pregabalin and weed synergise extreamly well.

edit: I just read the bit where you said you don't have much money, in that case try gabapentin and weed lol. Also both drugs can have nasty WDs if you overuse them (everyday) but you seem like you have some self control.

3 questions:

1) Can you get Gabapentin online without a prescription or over the counter?

2) How often can you take it without getting physically addicted?

3) Most important: can you take it with Klonopin and prozac without having bad side effects?

And how much does pregablin cost?

I guess GHB is one drug I've heard mentioned as being able to mimic alcohol without some of the negative side effects, but that's also illegal (not that I care, just in terms of it being harder to find) and pretty rare and I don't see how I'd ever be able to find it, nor do I know how it would interact with my meds...

3 questions:

1) Can you get Gabapentin online without a prescription or over the counter?

2) How often can you take it without getting physically addicted?

3) Most important: can you take it with Klonopin and prozac without having bad side effects?

And how much does pregablin cost?

Pregabalin is known to put weight on a lot of people. No idea on the physical addiction part but many report having horrible withdrawal symptoms resembling a mix of benzo and opiate. Withdrawal seems to vary from person to person, some get slammed if they miss a single dose while others can go a couple days and feel little to none. Gabapentin is more or less the same but to a lesser degree. No idea if you can buy it online.

It will potentiate benzos no clue on the Prozac. I've been on both pregabalin and benzos for over a year and a half and have taken it with temazepam, lorazepam, diazepam, alprazolam and *zolpidem so I'm sure klonopin is fine :). Also from personal experience it makes alcohol hangovers (at least the headache) worse.

Without insurance it'll cost you a new BMW payment. If your poor and meet their guidelines you can get it for free through Pfizer.

My cousin was a 750ml a night bourbon drinker and lost about 50lbs. Once he stopped drinking he started to gain weight.

Last edited:
If your strict on your diet simply deduct the amount of calories consumed through alcohol from your food intake on those days you decide to drink. Do you get drunk and compulsively decide to smash a large pizza? Most do with alcy and or mj. Mj I can eat more but ethanol makes my stomach feel bad and I naturally eat less. Like you stated calories in calories out. Eat less move more. ......etc.

OP,

Acetylcarnitine (ALCAR) boosts metabolism very very highly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcarnitine

Also, drinking eqiuvalent of 1 shot, every 1 minute, overlaps and eventually floods your BA system making you much drunker.

Interesting.

Do you know if Acetylcarnitine has any negative side effects or interactions with other drugs?

If not and it's pretty safe I might try that.

As far as drinking 1 shot a minute, yeah, or you could just start by downing 5 at once haha...but in the end...you've still consumed the same amount of alcohol most likely as you would have otherwise wouldn't you?

I mean, it's not like you could just take one shot a minute for 5 minutes and then really be as drunk as you'd have been as if you'd had 10 shots...cause I've had 5 shots in one sitting and yeah, it gets you fucked up, but it's still just 5 shots hitting you faster, it's not the equivalent of drinking more and so you'd still probably just end up drinking the same amount of calories unless there's something I'm missing...

I drink apple cider and rum although I think things like rum, cider, and tequila made from sugar juices vs. Grain based liquors are less in carbs although not only a different drunk, but cause diabetes over time probably sugar in it.... The diabetes thing was told to me by someone that truly knows shine.