• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

New poster. Tramadol advice needed!!

I'd try to get off the tramadol. Don't take it with St John's wort and amitriptyline. That sounds like a terrible idea. Despite what they say, tramadol is probably harder to quit than the morphine.

If you must take the tramadol I'd talk to the doctor about quitting the anti-depressant. Do they know you are taking st john's wort as well? St John's wort, 5-htp, etc, are pretty strong honestly, despite what people think. I would not mix them w/tramadol--that seems like a very bad idea.

Tramadol is a pretty powerful anti-depressant on its own though. But doctors will freak at using it for those purposes and elavil is a pretty good ad from what I hear, so meh. Pick one or the other imho. It can be really, really, hard to quit. In your case you have lyrica and morphine and an anti-depressant though. So it probably won't be bad at all. Taper down really slowly. Like 25mg a week, no faster. Despite what people say, tramadol w/d is worse for a lot of people than normal opiates (unless you are taking extremely high opiate doses--you aren't).

Also, why do you take both baclofen and lyrica, is that necessary? I would think lyrica on its own would be enough.

I would try to get off either the tramadol or the anti-depressants. Pick one. Taper down really slow, talk to doctor. For tramadol more than 25mg a week and you'll get withdrawals (some may have not gotten any, but that's the exception not the norm). Normally I'd recommend benzos to get off it but you are already on so many downers that that would be a terrible idea.

For pain, the morphine (or the tramadol) should work quite well honestly. Morphine side effects get annoying though for many...I hate to say this but have you tried mixing in Aleve or Ibprofen w/the morphine as needed? I know, I know, silly OTC meds. I find aleve knocks out some pain better than opiates. And imho aleve+an opiate is far better for back pain than either alone. Downside is: hard on your stomach--so talk to doc first if using it a lot. I don't think there's any harm in taking it a couple times a week as needed though. I know it's a silly suggestion but many don't give good old naproxen a shot. It works. Especially combined w/an opiate. IMHO the diff between it and an opiate alone is huge. On the other hand, I never had any luck w/tylenol doing a damn thing--maybe others have.

Also, hay fever tablets: if it's like benadryl or something you are talking about--just know that while they aren't addictive, they most certainly DO eventually cause tolerance. Yeah, I know, no one thinks they do. But they do. Eventually they will stop working (on the plus side, it doesn't take long before they don't really make you drowsy anymore, I suppose).

25mg of tramadol? the lowest dose possible for tramadol is 50mg, unless you are talking about cutting one in half. 25mg of tramadol a week is a piss in the wind and will result in 0 withdrawal symptoms.

I know this is an old thread but I had to jump in on the tramadol issue. I also have a lot of chronic pain issues that I'm constantly having to tweak with my doc to resolve. Tramadol caused me to have 2 seizures. Both ended me in the ER-during the 2nd one I was driving. So lucky I didn't hurt someone else or myself worse. Both times were after an increase in dosage from my doc-the second I had just been switched to the extended release. In my opinion tramadol is a poison and a nightmare. Please beware and be extremely cautious, especially when dosages are increased. I will never take it again.

I have experimented with Tramadol in doses up to 400mg to no avail. I have found that the recreational effects vary from person to person, and I am one of those who don't experience any.

I did however feel extremely shaky in my limbs and psychologically fuzzy. Luckily, I had my script of klonopin handy which I took to stop any oncoming seizure.

Tramadol is a very safe drug in comparistion to opiates.

No, Tramadol has way more potential dangerous interactions with other medications due to its SNRI mechanism and "dirty" profile. People had seizures from relatively low doses as 200-250mg.
Just because it did not happen to you does not mean this is the case for everyone especially because it is metabolised to O-Desmethyltramadol by an enzyme which works good in some people and bad in others.
This is also the reason why some users report no recreational effects (like Jim above me^) while others get pretty high from the substance.

Its only weaker regarding the respiratory depression/fatal OD potential compared to other opioids. Like Vita said it is very addictive and has very nasty WD-symptoms.
~
I agree being careful with it and dont combine with St Johns and /or Amitryptiline.

Regarding the other meds I think OP could take Baclofen or Lyrica only but not both at the same time.

I love tramadol too. But I also take another SSRI (Lexapro 20mg) so I know my seizure risk is high min you MUST take tramadol, take something that increases your seizure threshold like alprazalam or diazapam.

I took amytriptiline at night for years. I took it for insomnia and as a boost for antidepressant reasons. I never took it recreationally but I found it incredibly effective for both of my symptoms. I slept great and had no hangover. I had to stop due to a med change that contra indicated with it. I haven't slept well since. (I've tried tons of other sleep aids). If I could recommend anything is to say don't give up that one. Don't know if this helps-just my experience.