View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD and antipsychotics

T1gersxjaw

Bluelighter
Can taking antipsychotics or other psych meds cancel the visual effects of LSD?

I have tripped numerous times and gotten an overall sense of well being and a content feeling, along with bright colors. But I have never had any visual hallucinations?

I have thought about this being fake acid, but I have purchased it from different people and when I have tripped with friends, they felt the effects.

I have tripped while being on high doses of latuda and abilify, and a few other meds mixed in there.

Am I just not meant to trip?

I want visuals so bad, and i've had no success even taking 4 hits.

Opinions please

It is almost certainly not 'fake acid' at least not that it would be the problem, there might be duds out there but a lot of blotter that isn't LSD nowadays contains novel research chemicals like NBOMe compounds.
A lot of anti-psychotics block the effects psychedelics have on the brain that mediate their trippy effects. That is why you are having difficulties.

They tend to very much dull the trip down or cancel it altogether.

Are you not meant to trip? Well:
- If you are taking anti-psychotics you are taking them for a reason. That very reason is usually a very good reason to avoid psychedelics because taking them carries a lot bigger or extra risks in that case. If you don't know which ones or can't imagine how a psychedelic trip can be destabilising for mental health, I can probably come up with a few arguments - although they have been made many times before on the forum by myself and many others.
- Like I said you probably will have a hard time tripping well despite taking those medications, do not stop taking your meds!

I understand you very much wish to have a full trip, but after reading this... what do you think? You still think it's a good idea? Maybe it is better to be patient and see if you can live without medications at some point in the future?

5-HT/serotonin receptors are occupied/antagonised and downregulated with antipsychotic use, predominantly 5-HT2a, which is what LSD primarily binds to for its visual effects.

I have taken mushrooms while diagnosed schizophrenic and while on Abilify with no adverse effects, but experienced very little of a trip. There was SOME trip, but this is at doses where I should have been stuck in a field of green grass for hours murmuring "I...LOVE...EVERYTHING..."

There isn't actually much to suggest psychedelics exacerbate schizophrenia, cannabis and uppers yes.

What are you talking about? There a tons of medical journals as well a my person experience that prove the opposite.
Psychedelics can have a devastating effect on those already suffering from mental illness.

Well I'm all ears, I'm just speaking from experience. Show me some articles/journals whatever... I'm interested.

Lsd binds to dopamine and anti psychotics like haldol block the action of dopamine. I'm sure there are interactions.

Edit: I'll add classic tryptamines like dmt and psylocybin do not share that action

This post could have totally been posted by me. I took LSD the other night and I am also on a few psych meds including Latuda. I didn't even see bright colors, let alone any visual hallucinations whatsoever. I only felt some physical sensations, such as body high and energy, and the mental things that go along with LSD.

I realized after the fact that my meds were impeding the effect of the LSD.

I am curious about how long one needs to be off the Latuda in order to have a more visual trip.

Maybe if your anti psych has a very strong binding affinity to 5ht2a (mainly) may explain. Plenty of psychs luckily will blast anti psychs from hogging that receptor...
Was reading about a doctor who can Rx lsd25 can't remember which country.

I wish I could do mdma therapy. ... fuck this oppressive regime that is backwards, and fuck dumbass medical "professionnels" who do dishonor to jobs like nurse, doctor etc. Such a shame that incompetent people are allowed to practice these honorable jobs.....

Ok 1 when taking acid try to forget you took it. Do not do a bunch of crazy activities. Sit back and zone out. Do not try to look for any trails. Avoid long conversations. Sit back chill. Even a corner piece of acid is good enough for trails. If you become active you lose the ability to trail the hell out. Watch the clouds and be quiet. As your thoughts wander you forget your on acid and it becomes the best trip.
2 research has been done with end of life treatment with Shrooms and lsd. People have been treating depression and the end of life treatment has cause people when they pass away to have smiles on their faces.

3 I'm taking my first dose of 40mg of latuda and 2 hits of acid... I will get back and let y'all know.

I'm currently taking zyprexa for insomnia and mania so I was wondering, will I feel most of the effects of 600ug if I don't take it for 4 days before

I can trip on abilify, I use high doses like 5 hits of acid so maybe it's dulling it, I don't mind taking more though psychedelics aren't caviar (only fishscale is for me though.)

Antipsychotics were discovered because of LSD. Before LSD, Thorazine, which was the basic structure from which all antipsychotics are derived, was only thought to be a major tranquilizer.

Dose dependent of course.