oxycodone 40mg modified release X2 daily and fast acting 30mg 4/8 times a day withdra

emmense

Greenlighter
Hey guys I'm new to blue light and I suffer with long term health issues such as diabetes and heart failure, recently I began getting pains and numbness in my left leg which was diagnosed eventually when the pain became so bad I could bearly stand and was crying in pain with a prolapsed disc.

I was put on and increased to the above dosages by my doctors and more recently my back has improved and my hip pain eliminated mostly and ever since I had started my various new medications including a dosage of gabapentin 300mg 3 daily I have suffered with nausea daily and almost daily vomiting.

3 days and 12 hours ago I stopped taking my oxycodone completely only submitting once after 12 hours for 30mg of my fast acting dose. I have been unable to sleep increased heart rate which obviously worries me and various other symptoms including uncontrollable depression and thinking about things like my mother's death.

My biggest problem is the coping with insomnia I've had trouble before when I had undiagnosed heart failure due to fluid on my chest but this is so much worse I find myself thinking about suicide if it wasn't for my girlfriend I don't know what I'd have done by now, I'm a strong determined person so much so that I rarely let my conditions affect me and this drug tho I'm not sure it's the cause of my current problems for all I know it's the gabapentin is breaking me, if I could just sleep it would help immensely. So I guess I'm asking for advice I don't want to prolong this at all if I can help it tho I find my script for medical cocodamol does help if only for short periods, but I fear I'm making the task harder taking it.

When can I hope to return to some kind of normal sleeping pattern? Is it likely to be a week or weeks or longer

Regards
Scott

Hi Scott
Firstly if you haven't already discussed your plan with your doctor I highly recommend it. Coming off opiates can be hard on the heart and being you already have a heart condition you should probably be monitored. I'm not sure how long you have been on the oxycodone ? I just came off a 10+ yr script of oxy and it took a good month to start sleeping 4-5 hours a night. The depression/anxiety is normal and takes some time. Also PAWS is something many struggle with after opiates. Once again not sure how long you were on them and that all plays a role. Wishing you all the best in your choice to get off oxycodone. :)

Talking with your doctor first, as Sosick said, would be the first step.

Why are you trying to come off of the oxycodone? How long have you been taking the oxycodone? Are you still taking the gabapentin?

The answers to these questions can help in giving advice. But remember that we are not medical professionals, well I'm not, and your doctor is the best one to give you answers. Though many members here have been in the same position you are currently in and can tell you what they did to get better.

So sorry I just totally got lost in trying to explain everything I was on a high dose of oromorph for around 10 days before my pain became so that bad I was hospitalised and given and mri and diagnosed with a prolapsed disc for which they gave me the oxy which was about 4 / 5 weeks ago times been a bit of a blur with so many problems recently.

I last took any oxy on Friday morning at 8 am before I realized what was going on honestly. I'd sort of stopped and slowed down taking my fast acting dose the week before as my spinal nerve began to adjust to the pressure from the gel pushing on it which resulted in less pain. I've always been able to give anything in my life up I'm not normally and addictive person and with my health I try to take as good care of myself as possible so I am really responsible with my medications.

It's pretty much been awfull for most of the day though it seems to have eased slightly that's probably my gabapentin perscription though helping I guess? I guess I'm technically into day 3 of being clean now the one concern I have is though twice now like I said I've taken some cocodamol 30/500mg and as that's also opiate based is that likely to set me back on the physical side?

Today I came close to taking a dose to get over this WD but thankfully I'd had my partner dump 90% down a toilet and hide the rest just in case of an emergency with my back. I will defiantly seek advice from my doctor on Monday as they don't work unless you're on the death bed in the uk at weekends. I did look into tapering etc and taking other meds to bring me off it but it seems like swapping one devil for another eventually I have to pay the piper and I'd rather try do it quickly if that makes sense as I suffer enough.

As I've posted many times, I was taking about 30 7.5/235 Norcos a day. I decided to stop because it was effecting my life. I also have high blood pressure and the anxiety the WD caused made me feel like my heart was going to burst. Now I don't recommend benzos long term but I know I got a small script of Ativan from my doctor and it helped a lot with the anxiety/rapid heart beat I was struggling with. It's something that will pass. I don't take the Ativan anymore and I feel fine most of the day. I have been clean for about 3 weeks now? And I can tell you it gets better. It will. Everyday. The physical part will leave and then the mental part will start but you will make it through.

As a side note... Not sure about dependency on this so someone correct me but I got a few Flexiril from someone because I couldn't sleep with how bad my RLS was for a while... And taking half of one made me sleep like a baby. Something to look into for short term relief.

Best of luck. And remember you WILL get through this.

Thanks kend88 are you sleeping properly now unaided then? I just managed to sleep slightly but it's not even close to refreshing sadly.

You haven't been on them very long great decision to get off now. Your withdrawal symptoms should peak at day 3-4 and then start to get a bit better each day. Your doctor might be able to suggest some sleep aides but like you said be careful you don't want to substitute one med for another. Maybe try melatonin if you want a natural aid. Try and relax before bed have a warm bath and some tea. The good sleep will come just give it some time and you will feel refreshed and renewed again soon. Hang in there :)

Thanks for the support I managed to sleep 3 times last night for roughly 2 hours each time with a zoppiclone sleeping tablet which I honestly feel didn't help me much, though I am greatfull for any sleep it just doesn't feel so great for my body to do it in tiny bursts in fact I think it's worse on it, the hardest parts laying their with my eyes closed trying to and nothing happening even with my best relaxing music on.

I'm so unsure as if to ask for a sleeping tablet or not or will my brain calm down soon and learn to switch off or am I going to suffer for months with sleeping problems, I guess no one can really say for sure fingers crossed I'm in the 10 day category I have literally never felt so tested in my life as right now and next time I'm offerd opiates for pain medication I do beleive I might tell that doctor I'd rather suffer then go through this again lol.

Can any of you recommend a strong sleeping aide thst actually worked and let you sleep through the entire night for atleast 6/7 hours?

How is your pain now? I also recommend melatonin for sleep, I use 5 mg when needed.
I prefer that over any z-type sleeping pill. Hope you're doing better!