• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Hydrocodone tolerance

RyaneWillow2014

Greenlighter
Hi, I am currently taking 6 Norcos a day (5/325) how long will I be able to take this much before I start building tolerance and have to up my dose? And I am worried about the amount of aceteminaphin I take on a daily basis (1950mg) I am only 19 years old so my doctor will for sure see me as a drug seeker if I ask for oxycontin. And I can't have the dose lowered bc 30mgs of hydrocodone a day barely does anything as it is.

Honestly taking 1950mg of acetimonophin through out the day is nothin to be worried about, even taking that much at once aint to bad. im only 21 so i know how it is with doctors viewing us at drug seekers, but i would be honest bout the medication an tell your doc about your worries of the acetimonophin dosage and how the pain relief doesnt work to well. he should be open to prescribing you a med that doesnt contain acetimonophin such as morphine or a low dose oxycodone.

You yourself know what kind of doctor you have & if he listens to you......how long have you been seeing him?

My friend sees a doctor that is cold hearted & worthless IMO......he tells him he is in pain & the 5/325 vicodin (4 times a day) doesn't help him & he's been on this dosage for 3 years.

If my doctor had me on the same dosage for 3 years & wouldn't listen to me, I would be switching doctors a.s a.p.

Some doctors care but I would say that 70% or higher of doctors could care less about your pain.

I'm assuming you receive 180 norcos a month. Depending on your injury/disability, talk to the doctor & let him know that the present meds arent helping as much as they use to with your pain. I'm also assuming you've been on 6 norcos for at least 1 year.

If its only been like 6 months, it won't be enough time......don't just come out & ask about oxy because that will look bad on you. Let the doctor recommend a stronger opiate.

Last edited:
You will start building tolerance ALMOST immediately. However, it won't build to a noticable level for a couple months at that rate. Now if you start taking 30mg at ONCE(versus through the whole day), you're tolerance will be there in no time. You can only utilize this tip for a short amount of time(before your tolerance goes up) so listen up; ONLY TAKE WHAT YOU NEED. Your in that stage where you can get similiar effects from small dosages as you would from big ones. As an ex-addict, that shit is a blessing in the eye of a user trying to get high. Or even if you're using purely medicinally, the same concept applies. Don't let yourself dose higher. DO whatever you can to keep your dose from rising. If you start having to double your dose, taper it down a bit. Trust me, it may be hard. But you want to do it while you still have the option. Opiates are pretty much shit once you break that threshold of having to take anything more than a small-average dose to get effects. Just my take.

look up cold water extraction to get the acetaminophen out of the hydrocodone. its simple to do & necessary if youre going to be taking hydrocodone regularly

if 30mg is barely doing anything for you then you already have a tolerance. You will most likely have to increase your dosage very soon, within a couple months.

I have only seen the doctor twice he gave me 126 tramadol for 21 days the first visit and then when that didn't help I was put straight on 6 Norcos a day. I've been on them for about a month. It feels like the first couple of the day work great but as the day goes on each dose seems to do less and less.

I have only seen the doctor twice he gave me 126 tramadol for 21 days the first visit and then when that didn't help I was put straight on 6 Norcos a day. I've been on them for about a month. It feels like the first couple of the day work great but as the day goes on each dose seems to do less and less.
Lost boys is right, don't just ask for oxy!!!
If you've only had one script of Vic's and they don't work let ur dr know. If you told him they did work then your gonna have to wait a bit IMO. It's a pain in the ass but that's how the game works ime. If this is your first script then just be honest and let him make his own decision. The last thing u want is to look like a drug seeker so u gotta be smart.
It's awfully difficult I know, I've been on the same dose for 5 yrs and my oxy does fuck all for pain but it still helps my mental issues. A bird in hand I figure, u know? Being a chronic pain patient is a total nightmare without an understanding dr . All we really have is each other to vent to, bl is a blessing as far as that goes.
Just be honest with ur dr. There's really nothing else we can do. You know ur dr best so judge on that.
Honestly I'd use cwe if your taking that much apap. I was on oxy 7.5 x6 a day and they took a heavy toll on me, I talked the dr into giving me oxy15s with no apap and my liver has felt much better since so maybe you should bring that up...

Thanks. He isn't really the doctor to pass out pain pills which isn't a problem bc I am not just seeking pain pills however he doesn't Beleive that narcotics is the best treatment option. He let me pick my treatment plan and I chose narcotics bc my pain is around the clock and that's the only way to make sure that I can get some sort of releif always even if it's not completely pain free. Bc of him not Beleiving narcotics is the best route he said he isn't comfortable going to a higher dose just yet with me only being 19 years old. I just don't know if it's normal for the first couple to work better than the last couple each day. I didn't know if he would possibly prescribe me a stronger dose to be taken only at the end of the day and stick to the 5/325 throughout the rest of the day

It's pretty normal to those of us that take these meds but, well drs are usually a different story.
I had to suffer for years for the same reason, I was 23 when I got sick and no one wanted to write my scripts. It's unreal, like young people don't have pain? I really sympathize brother, it's so damned frustrating. I bounced from er to er til I finally found a dr who cared a bit, I was 28 or 29 when I finally found some relief. It takes a long time sometimes. I know it's easier said than done but u might have to go through something similar. Right now he's writing u Vicodin so hey, at least it's something u know? I'd try to stick it out for now and see what the future brings. I doubt your gonna find much better at ur age unfortunately. U never know though. It would suck to gamble and lose what u got now though. Sometimes it's a process, a long process. U can try to stick it put for a bit and see if ur dr will give u a referral to a pain management dr, theres no guarantee that they'll write for u either though. U just gotta weigh all the pros and cons and make a decision from there. I really feel for u though man. Good luck bro...

Thanks. He isn't really the doctor to pass out pain pills which isn't a problem bc I am not just seeking pain pills however he doesn't Beleive that narcotics is the best treatment option. He let me pick my treatment plan and I chose narcotics bc my pain is around the clock and that's the only way to make sure that I can get some sort of releif always even if it's not completely pain free. Bc of him not Beleiving narcotics is the best route he said he isn't comfortable going to a higher dose just yet with me only being 19 years old. I just don't know if it's normal for the first couple to work better than the last couple each day. I didn't know if he would possibly prescribe me a stronger dose to be taken only at the end of the day and stick to the 5/325 throughout the rest of the day

You went from 126 Tramadols one month to 6 norcos × 30= 180 norcos a month which is a fast jump up......you must have a great doctor letting you pick which way you want to go for pain relief.

You may have a natural high tolerance but you should hold off telling your doctor about the norcos not working well.

Like mentioned, you know your doctor & you have to make the judgement call on whether you should tell him they aren't working.

Also, most people only get 60 to 90 norcos their 1st time receiving hydrocodone.

Last edited:
Lost boys I am currently seeing the pain management doctor my regular doctor only gave me anti inflammatories. And I agree he I a little cooky ( for example he talks to himsel while examining me) but he did let me choose which I am grateful for instead of trying injections then suffering through another month of pain to try somthin else and it may or may not help. And I am also aware that it was given 6 a day to start. My girlfriend also has back problems and it took her almost a year to get up to 3 a day. But my doctor does not Beleive in taking them as needed he says the pill is designed to last 4 hours so I need to take one or a half of one every four hours to keep it in my system. He says if I wait longer then I will need to take more to catch back up. So I guess that means when I do get bumped to 7.5s or whatever the next step is I will get 6 a day as of those as we'll. I am just new to this whole thing I had just thought that was part of life was hurting everyday and I was active so I never thought twice about it. But when it got to the point where I had to said the maximum dose of tylenal out on my night stand and take it as soon as I wake up and wait 30 min before I could even get out of bed I knew this couldn't be life. I think I am just going to ride it out for a while like you said unless there's been an accident and or major surgeries it's rare for someone of my age to get what I have so I'm not going to blow my only hope of releif over it. Bc even tho I'm not pain free by any means it's 100 times better than what the tramadol was doin for me.

Ryane, if you can wait about 4 to 6 months, then tell your doctor they aren't helping like they use to.......thing is, most doctors will tell you that as long as pain meds make your life livable, it doesn't matter that you have some pain that is on the low threshold.

If you're looking to get total pain relief, you will definitely need more pain meds.......

Say your pain level before the meds was a 7, & after the hydrocodone it fell to a 3, that's significant.

Like you stated, tramadol is a joke for pain, at least for you & me.

I'm living with back pain & it would be nice to live w/o pain. I for one never touched opiates & probably wouldn't have ever touched them if it wasn't for my pain.

What level of pain were you before the meds & after?

I have a higher tolerance to opiates than most my age due to injuries. I had an atv accident and broke my c-1 vertabre and had several skull fractures when I was 12 years old and I was on oxycodone 5/325s for months. Then when I was 17 I had a dirtbike wreck no broken bones but horrible road rash on my back ribs arm and leg and my wounds would ooze through my bandages at night and I would wake up stuck to the sheets on my bed so I was on oxycodone 10/325 for month or so due to that. So I have more experience with opiates than most ppl my age. My pain was constantly at about a 6 and would reach up to a 7 somewhat often and rarely up to an 8. Now that I'm on the hydrocodone it's contestantly at around 4 and somtimes 5-6. I am aware that hydrocodone is much weaker than oxycodone. And before this I had never had hydrocodone only oxycodone but to me it feels more like codine (like tylenol 3) than oxycodone.a lot of the time the hydrocodne controls the pain but there are still times (like at work) when the pain breaks through my dose and I have to take a half or somthin to get me to my next dose. That's why I would like to have somthing a little stronger to take in the morning and at night. Also if I had a stronger medicine at night this would keep me from having to wake up in the middle of the night to take a dose. Bc the way my script is written I take a dose at midnight then I wake up at 4am to take a dose and go back to sleep. My pain usually doesn't wake me up in the middle of the night but if I don't wake up to take that dose my pain is very bad when I wake up in the morning.

Oh, I didn't know you had all those injuries before......yes, now I understand why 6 norcos a day don't help as much.

I'm assuming your pain mgt doctor knows your past history?

With your past history, I would have been on oxycodone, but since you just started, I would wait a few months.

Yes he knows my past injuries. But like I said he doesn't really like narcotics I think if I haven't been bumped up after a couple months I will switch doctors bc he told me when I was out on them "I hate to see another life ruined by narcotics" if narcotics is going to be my method of treatment then I need a docotor will give me the strength and amount I need to feel relief. I should have known he wouldn't be willing to go very high bc I was referred to him by a primary doctor I just started seeing an I wasn't satisfied with him either. It took me almost 2 months to get an appt to see him for the first time ad he gave me lodine (anti inflammatory) and flexeril (muscle relaxer) neither helped at all tylenol helped more and then after my second appt (a month after the first) when I told him it was getting worse he didn't give me anything just sent me to get ct scans and told me to make a year appt with him. Then a couple days later called me and said to go to pain management then it took me a whole month to get in there so that was 4 months of around the clock pain from the time I finally decided to see a docotor to the time I received the first script (tramadol) that actually helped a little. About 3 says before my first pm doctor appt I had to go to the emergency room and I told them I was going to see a pm docotr and they reluctantly gave me 15 tramadol to get me to my first appt. I just think that it sucks tht it's so hard to get treatment bc everything is so strict when there's people who don't have pain running wild with all kinds of narcotics. I mean I'm all into having a good time but not when it's causing people like us to suffer. Sorry for my rant. Just my opinion.

Hey buddy,I couldn't agree more.It's a shame that some people ruin it for those of us who really have chronic pain.I have the same problem and it sucks.But to get 180 Norco a month,even if they are the baby 5/325s is pretty good for your second script from this guy.Sounds like he's a pretty good doctor really.And like others have said,if you wait a couple months so it looks like you're giving the 5/325s a chance,he will probably up your meds to something better.I know it sucks but sometimes you have to play the game.And definitely don't ask for a medication by name.With doctors,you have to kinda make it seem like their idea to increase your meds.

We'll it's time. I'm on my way to te doctor now I think I'm going to tell him that the medicine is doing wonders compared to tramadol but the doses later in the day aren't a effective. And also get conformation from him that it is okay to take all the acetaminephen everyday. Will post after the appt for results thank for all the help everyone

Well I think I'm going to be looking for a new doctor. He said he doesn't want me takin narcotics for long term which has been the only thing that has helped. He gave me trigger point injections and now my whole right side of my back and arm are numb but yet still very sore somehow. I told him that the medicine isn't really helping as much as I feel it should be. I don't think he knows what he's doing when it comes to narcotics bc he said if I stay on this path I will be on morphine within a couple months. I'm no doctor but I know quite a bit about narcotics and I know you don't go from 5/325 Norcos to morphine within a couple months it takes years and years and years of gradually upping the dose both the strength and the amount of tablets taken per day and there is quite a few steps in between hydrocodone ad morphie. But he told me to come back in 10 days and gave me 90 5/325 so I guess I take 9 a day now he didn't really say.