• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

pharmacy gave me a paper about grapefruits,,,,,why?

No, too much grapefruit juice can increase levels of benzos. Usually WGJ is the worst. Ruby red should be ok.

Thanks.
I wonder do it effect xanax and klonopin too.
What about eating a grapefruit, like one big one,,,,,should I eat it before or after taking my medicine??

Xanax for sure. Temazepam and clonazepam arent affected too badly. It was probably a generic leaflet they handout with all benzos. As long as you keep the amount you eat/drink the same it is no big deal anyway.

I drank pink grapefruit juice like 30 minutes later took less xanax than usual, and it seemed to help, as I was in short supply end of month. Maybe I'll get a white grapefruit to eat if my supply runs short again.

Grapfruit juice can interact with certain drugs by inhibiting the activity of certain enzymes involved in metabolising said drugs. The interaction with benzodiazepines is quite well known and there has been a lot of debate about how the metabolism of codeine may be affected by grapefruit.

I've tried to find a good resource to link to, but authoritative information on this topic seems to be rather patchy! Although this is worth a read:

NPS MEDICINEWISE: Mixing grapefruit with medicines

And this Wikipedia article is far from comprehensive but may be of interest:

Wiki: Grapefruit-drug interactions