• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

CBS- Kratom produces a high like cocaine

weekend addiction

Bluelighter
"MIAMI (CBSMiami) — A drug known as kratom produces a high like cocaine, can be as addictive as heroin, and–believe it or not–is completely legal.
It’s an herbal remedy found in Kava bars and head shops in South Florida and throughout the country, but now authorities say kratom, which comes from a tree in southeast Asia, may not be completely safe.
“This will get you where you need to be and make you feel good,” said one proponent. “It can give you a happy, euphoric feeling,” said another. “I feel like I have a little buzz,” said a third.

“It’s a branch of the coffee family and years and years ago, the villagers would manipulate the leaves and it gave off an effect that relaxed people,” said clinical care coordinator John Corbett, a drug and alcohol counselor.
Kratom, sought after for its euphoric and more intense effects, is considered by some as one of the most dangerous drugs currently for sale in the United States.
“Doctors are Googling, they’re actually Googling what is this, where is this coming from,” said Corbett. “People are ending up in emergency rooms, hospitals, rehab.”
Kratom is ground into powder, stuffed in capsules and even sold in liquid form. It is so highly addictive Corbett likens it to opium and heroin."

Source: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/11/21/new-drug-thats-as-addictive-as-heroin-and-perfectly-legal/

I found this sensationalist bullshit while compiling some research on kratom. This is one of the most exaggerated articles I have seen about kratom. There is a comments section bellow the story so we can set the record straight! Please help and post your own experience if you have any. I'm going to email CBS and tell them to take the story down. Its nothing but lies!

fuck

edit: kratom has NOTHING in common with coke except it can produce a mild stimulation. In that sense, kratom is more like caffeine. why doesn't CBS go fuck themselves and do a story about that

Kratom, sought after for its euphoric and more intense effects, is considered by some as one of the most dangerous drugs currently for sale in the United States.

"considered by some" = the writer's wife, who has no knowledge of drugs or the United States.
Also the writer, who has his head stuck so far up his ass that the illusion that kratom is so terribly dangerous is all around him.

Highly addictive is a somewhat relative, perhaps even meaningless, expression here (and more often than one might think). Vague at best. Like saying politics is highly addictive. In such a sense, kratom is highly addictive, not in the sense that heroin is "highly addictive." Both might produce a degree of dependence, but in most, especially concerning different ROAs, they're two totally different animals. Perhaps kratom is more like coffee, in the sense they're both highly addictive and produce dependence, even if kratom might be just a tad, but just a tad, more so. Understanding the meaning of addiction in the 19th century sense is very useful, as the way we understand the term today has only existed for like half a century. Previous to then it was more akin to "habit" without any positive or negative connotation. E.g. "He is addicted to politics." No implications involved, other than one might be said to have a love of politics.

EDIT: I don't mean to belittle folks, especially those in the fields who use kratom to work for their slave wages given any lack of alternative, but lets just keep things in perspective. Perhaps it'd be better to say that kratom can be highly addictive. Just like other drugs can be highly addictive, like heroin and caffeine.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, personally, addiction is a craving to use something that comes on after a limited number of uses. An addict uses more than they would without an addiction. They will do something until it is uncomfortable and beyond and can't be reasonable about their use. They lose control.

Kratom may be addictive. I think to bear that distinction a drug has to regularly cause addiction.

I never experienced addiction from using coffee, yet it is highly addictive.

We both may be addicted to Bluelight, but that alone does not make it addictive; that depends on the regularity with which it causes addiction.

Coffee is highly addictive.. yeah its addictive but I would hardly say its capacity to addict is high.

We both may be addicted to Bluelight, but that alone does not make it addictive;.
Quoted for the record.. you should logic this out pmose:p

Kratom is addictive. Kratom does not cause addiction. You crave it because it's good, and will desire it the more you familiarize with it.

Nicotine causes addiction. After using nicotine, the effect isn't even that pleasant but I still somehow crave it, a clear effect of a resulting chemical imbalance....or addiction.

It all comes down to what system inside the brain the particular substance works on. Dopaminergic drugs typically cause addiction.