• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opanna and PTSD

SeasonedVet

Greenlighter
Im a vet of Iraq and Afghanistan and I have been diagnosed with PTSD and I take Lexxapro 10mg, and Wel-Butrin for it daily. I also like to take Opanna 15mg once every 2 weeks. I snort 15mg and thats it!Im very strict on my drug use, I buy a 1 liter Fiji Water and drink about 3-4 of them after i take it and one 32oz gatorade to replace the sodium in my body. I have recently noticed since I have been on the anti depressants when I take the Opanna i am sweating non stop. Not like a workout sweat i mean the worst sweating I've ever experienced. Is this normal because of the other meds or does this happen because I'm getting older (29)? Its really weird, I have to sit with a towel with me the sweating is so bad.

Have you tried lowering your dose? 15 mg seems quite hefty when you don't seem to be using in a way to develop tolerance.

Thats the thing if I only do half of it i don't feel it very much but i still sweat like crazy for some reason. I even stopped doing it for 3 months because the 15 was beginning not to be enough for me. But i started back and its the perfect amount again.

Opioids cause sweating - this is normal. Also, that is a large dose for a non-tolerant individual.

I didn't realize 15mg is a large dose. Ive always treated Opanna like Oxy Contin, I guess thats the wrong thing to do.

Correct they bind to different areas of the opiate system morphine binding mu and codeine kappa more selective as the molocule is condensed becoming the hydro and oxy variation. Mu will put you to sleep while kappa will just leave you tired in my experience.

Bioavailability and the variation between roa is very different between op/oc. Oc is always 75%+ no matter what roa, but op is 10% oral or 40% nasal. That means only that percentage causes effect while the rest is digested and unused.

Use oxymorphone for pain when you're resting or else use oxycodone while you are active in minimal amounts. You don't really use much and take big breaks allowing the receptors to unbind and reset so you shouldn't have a tolerance issue or really even physical dependency issue.... I'm no expert though and these compounds are always risky.

I know you say you don't feel much of the Opana at 7.5mgs, but snorting 15mgs of Opana twice a week is a lot for not being a tolerant opiate user.

Also, I'm not sure on this but maybe the anti-depressants are making you sweat when mixing it with Opana (I'm gonna have to look into this)......

I didn't realize 15mg is a large dose. Ive always treated Opanna like Oxy Contin, I guess thats the wrong thing to do.

I'm no doctor, I don't even know what bioavailability means, but I can tell you that my personal pain management doctor told me that Opana is 10x stronger than either morphine or prescription OC. I know this because I am prescribed 20 mg Opana ER. I think they go up to 40 mg, but im not sure

I can't be sure but this sweating sounds like what happens when someone goes into serotonin overload. It's possible that the opana interacts with your Lexapro resulting in a serotonin overdose. Do you notice any other side effects with the Opana?

This line in particular made me think so:

I have recently noticed since I have been on the anti depressants when I take the Opanna i am sweating non stop.

You're saying you didn't get the sweating with Opana before you started the antidepressants?

^And here comes the overanalytical ADD mod :D OP sweats on opioids, big whoop, it's a very common side effect.

^And here comes the overanalytical ADD mod :D OP sweats on opioids, big whoop, it's a very common side effect.

Lol yes maybe, I guess I should've mentioned my personal experience to go with my supposition. I've never experienced unusual sweating, even up to doses that made me hurl. I've also been on SSRI's (at too high of a dose) and I got crazy sweating just like the OP mentions. So my overanalytical mind drew a connection there.

Last edited:
I get crazy sweating on methadone , quite different than on any other opiate.

Would that be due to its SNRI effects? And I mean sweat like it looks like I just got out of shower--even arms n legs have a covering

I get crazy sweating on methadone , quite different than on any other opiate.

Would that be due to its SNRI effects? And I mean sweat like it looks like I just got out of shower--even arms n legs have a covering

I never heard of methadone having SNRI capabilities.......

I can't be sure but this sweating sounds like what happens when someone goes into serotonin overload. It's possible that the opana interacts with your Lexapro resulting in a serotonin overdose. Do you notice any other side effects with the Opana?

This line in particular made me think so:

You're saying you didn't get the sweating with Opana before you started the antidepressants?

I didn't sweat as much as I do now since Ive been on the anti-depressants. Thats where I thought all the sweating was coming from. Mixing them with the Opana.

I didn't sweat as much as I do now since Ive been on the anti-depressants. Thats where I thought all the sweating was coming from. Mixing them with the Opana.

Vet, I know you've been through a lot over there but I was wondering if you could live your life w/o antidepressants?

Antidepressants IMO cause worse problems to people on them than with people not using them. I don't in any way want to talk you out of your antidepressants if they are making your life better.

Do you think you can cope with depression/anxiety by just using Opana & anything else the doctor is prescribing except for the antidepressant?