Recruiting Washington DC area heroin users

walkeram

Greenlighter
My name is Amanda. I'm a british reporter living in Washington DC. I'm researching a story about heroin users and whether it's possible to be on the drug and hold down a job, relationship etc. It'd be great to hear from anyone who is currently living and funcitoning as a heroin user. All contact is of course on a respectful, confidential, anonymous basis. Thank you

Hey there I'm a functioning addict I have never missed a day of work and have been addicted to heroin for close to a decade now. Relationships I have always screwed up though. I lived a normal life worked came home made dinner ate with my family and supported the household being the only income. I would work even when dope sick because I knew I have to do what I have to do. But this is because I am young I'm sure it would be hard to keep this up till I'm middle aged.

Hi. Thanks for you reply. Would you be interested in discussing further via email/phone?
Best

Amanda

Absolutely not possible for me. I was living in dc for a while and using heroin and cocaine. Couldn't hold a job among other issues.

Hey there I'm a functioning addict I have never missed a day of work and have been addicted to heroin for close to a decade now. Relationships I have always screwed up though. I lived a normal life worked came home made dinner ate with my family and supported the household being the only income. I would work even when dope sick because I knew I have to do what I have to do. But this is because I am young I'm sure it would be hard to keep this up till I'm middle aged.

Precisely! Specially about middle age. You can still manage but you will age very quickly and hardly keep up.
Eventually something will spoil the plans.
And that includes family, job, money. Not great when you are 40! A huge turn down...

Last edited:
I used to live in DC and was heavily addicted to heroin for the entire 12 years I lived there. I couldn't hold down a job because jobs interfered with my need to use and to acquire enough money each day to maintain my heroin habit. All my time, energy, and imagination went toward hustling enough money for dope, and a "job" just didn't cut it. My life was centered around heroin and it consumed me. My greatest fear was always having to face opiate withdrawals and I would go to any lengths to avoid it.