• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

A decade of moderate to severe abuse and still struggling

Light_Writer

Greenlighter
As a newbie to the forum I would just like to start by saying thank you to all who respectfully and responsibly share knowledge regarding harm reduction. It saves lives! Some see advice and suggestions here as a double edged sword, but I believe it's benefits outweigh it's risks.

People who choose to use, usually have their mind made up, and if they're smart about it they find bluelight and browse research related information to help them be as safe as possible in their pursuit.
I would like to share a story about somebody very close to me (some would regard as my alter ego.) I'm sorry if this is too long, please feel free to skip it for those that don't have the time. For those that do make it to the end, thank you for taking the time! I just need to do this, tonight, as my birthday just ended and I'm seeking inspiration and feedback.

This person I refer to has been struggling with confliction, confusion, love, hate, and denial, mainly in terms of addiction for a long time.
It all started with experimenting with weed early in high school, this led to just a few enlightening experiences with LSD and psilocybin mushrooms. At the time, alcohol was also consumed, usually just at parties and it was never a major problem.

This was a period of exploration done in a safe place, relatively speaking, with safe people. It was a fun time for this person, who is very important to me. After the few initial explorations into new dimensions of consciousness, realization occurred that there is more to life than many people think they know. There is more to feel, more to see, and overall more to experience. That said, exploration always comes with risks...
The psychedelics were just a short passing phase, while the weed continued to be part of this new/different life.. Or life view. For a while, as much as it was enjoyed and looked forward to, it began to become such a normal thing (no biggie.)

After a break up with a girl, who this person I know so well loved so much, depression started to sink in for the first time. Graduation was nearing and soon high school became a thing of the past.
Once college started, things were going smoothly despite some lingering loneliness due to the break of of a long term relationship that's value wasn't fully realized until it was too late. Soon after, a snowboarding trip yielded a completely torn ACL in the left knee.

During a horribly painful recovery from a botched knee surgery, opiates (hydrocodone/apap) were introduced! Due to the incredible amount of pain, there was no noticeable psychoactive effect at the time, but they did slightly reduce the pain levels. After the last refill no acknowledgements were made regarding withdrawal.. Probably due to naivety, and the low "therapeutical doses."
Next while traveling in Hawaii, that knee popped out and back in while partying during a bar crawl. This caused extreme pain and swelling which had to be endured for the remaining few days of vacation.

Once back, an MRI was done and it was clear the ACL was completely shredded. New doctor, better surgery, great physical therapy.. Success! Minus that fact that this was the beginning of a seriously long lasting opiate addiction. That feeling of "everything is going to be fine." A good and very much welcomed feeling at the time in this person's life. Heaven and hell both exist in this world.
After the final scripts were gone, it wasn't hard to obtain more, through good luck or bad luck, there were enough to start abusing regularly. This lasts about a year, without knowing the damages excessive acetaminophen can do to the liver, and not even considering the horrible effects of withdrawal. Completely naive, still!

When they finally ran out severe sickness obviously came, but due to ignorance, it was still never attributed to withdrawal, and instead assumed it was the worst flu ever!
Time passed and the physical symptoms subsided and I don't think there was much PAWS, because the mind didn't really realize how dependent it was on that feeling and so many other things were going on with college and work.
Time passes and it's mainly back to just weed again, and dabbled in hydrocodone when it came around, no biggie.. Straight A student and graduated cum laude on the deans list.

After college: this is where is starts to evolve into a serious problem! Soon opiates were again available and plentiful. Working full time and having roommates allowed for constant acquisition of Norcos 10/325. Taking way too many as tolerance builds and noticing changes, mainly small skin rashes that never occurred before.
This is where the research began and bluelight was found. Learning about CWE seriously saved a few lives at the rate this was heading.

Unfortunately the "double edged sword" aspect comes into play here because it made it much easier to feel safe taking more hydrocodone than before to beat the tolerance. It really never got higher than 100mg but averaged at about 70mg almost daily. The days without could be considered hell on Earth, and I don't think I need to describe it because withdrawal symptoms are all over this board.
Again, this abundance and availability came to an end..

Between that point and now much has happened and when nothing else was available, poppy seed tea became the simple solution.. Though withdrawals from that are just as bad or worse!
After a good while of PST abuse, a reconnection was made and now it was all about Oxycodone 30mg IR..
It became a necessity to continue working and not get sick, because that would result in the loss of a good job. For some reason, this person I know so well could handle using and working directly with professionals in his field and social life without it being apparent..

When the Oxys ran dry or became too expensive it was back to PST, even though enough was enough. Too many struggles to not be sick will take a toll on a person, and this person had to deal with it many times due to lack of access or just weak seeds.
Finally somebody offered suboxone as a way to wean and hopefully kick with less pain. Unfortunately during this time Xanax was also realized as something that "feels good" and became an addiction on top of the opiates. Plentiful and easy to get. During the time on both subs and Xanax, the subs were gradually reduced and the Xanax increased. Replacement therapy. Also, after the sub was finally kicked (probably too soon) horrible withdrawals that lasted ridiculously long occurred..

Unfortunately, after enduring all that and getting off opiates for about 6 months the relapse occurred with a vengeance, to the point of smoking heroin, but never injecting.
That period didn't last very long as it was luckily realized that this was a path to nowhere good and the spark of life was dwindling away.. A firm decision was made, time to stop and stick with it.

No suboxone was available and no health insurance led to the realization that Immodium and Valerian Root were all that was available. Unfortunally at this point Xanax has become a regular thing, but it helped with the hell of opiate withdrawal along with a controlled taper of Immodium (Loperimide.)
This seemed to have been the easiest (though still horrible) withdrawal, even after moving up to such extreme substances. So now here this person is, successfull at once again kicking opiates, including Immodium (Loperamide) but still addicted to Xanax, and afraid of the dangers of that withdrawal...

This person I know so well is not much of a "meeting person" and does not believe in admitting to be "completely powerless" to addiction. There is hope that this can be done successfully without treatment, because the money just isn't there anymore and neither is the insurance. Xanax are still easily accessible and can hopefully be tapered. I'ts between 3-6mg a day currently, so I still see another long and painful road ahead. I want the energetic happy person I knew back and I'm just afraid and sort of alone on this.. This is why I am here.
Again, if you made it this far, wow! Thank you for reading. It means a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to Bluelight :)
I recommend seeing a doctor and replacing xanax with valium which has a much longer half life and thus is easier to taper off from.

Since this thread is about addiction/recovery, I'm gonna move it from NMI to The Dark Side. There's no need to write in the third person, just use "I". From the BLUA (link below) :
you may not use ineffective self-incrimination avoidance terms. Terms include but are not limited to: SWIM; my dog; etc.

Good luck.

Hey light writer
Sorry to hear about your ACL especially a failed first surgery that really sucks. Then to have an addiction to opiates as a result is so unfortunately common. I don't have advise on what to suggest to make a comfortable wean but I'm sure you will get some great advise from others that have more experience than myself with this. You sound like you really want to do this we all have the strength within us you just have to dig deep. All the best to you. ?

Thanks flyhighk and Sosick!
I appreciate your replies. My apologies for not following the forum guidelines properly.
In regards to seeing a doctor, it is a licensed psychiatrist who now prescribes the Xanax and she seems pretty shady, but she's inexpensive and basically a monthly source to access Xanax way under street price and the legal prescription is a major bonus. I have asked her about Valium and/or Klonopin to replace Xanax as a method of tapering to quit, but she seems to be in bed with Xanax because she just tells me to start taking less and never gives me any options for other benzodiazepines. I've came to the conclusion that I have to try to taper with the Xanax and gradually reduce the dose down from where I am now (1.5-3mg/day) to somewhere around .25mg/day before I start skipping days. Right now I wake up every morning with that nervous inner shaky feeling in my hands and it's clear I'm waking up in WD daily, due to the short half-life.
Finding another doctor isn't easy for me because I'm still uninsured and the whole process is really uncomfortable, not to mention expensive. The person I'm seeing now seems to keep costs relatively low and prescribes 2mg alprazolam/Xanax 3 times a day! I knew it was a ridiculous start up amount and thought it was great at first.. But obviously, the more you have the more you have the ability to use, and that's what happened.
I go up and down with my usage, but have never ran out before a refill.
Ultimately, I look at my "doctor" as a source for pills just like any street dealer, except this is considered legal. She doesn't truly seem to care about her patients, so now I just use her to get my monthly refill and don't discuss my plans of quitting anymore. It is clear that is not something she wants to discuss.
Anyway, thanks again for the feedback. I wasn't sure if I'd get a single reply after such a long post.
I appreciate it.

Light writer,
That's really shitty about your doctor makes you wonder why she's even in that occupation. I'm not sure what kind of support you have through this but BL is a great source.

good luck with your recovery. you've done really well to get as far as you have. i've also had problems due to doctors throwing drugs at me. they just don't care about the long term effects. not that i have any right to complain given my own entirely self inflicted problems right now.

i really hope that you find the old you again. you will be in there somewhere. you have come through a lot and that will shape you so you wont be exactly the same.

benzos and opiates are bastardly bastardly types of drugs, no matter whether you start them via legal or illegal channels.

Thank you chinup, I appreciate you acknowledging my accomplishments during this hard time. It does suck that some doctors just throw pills at people without discussing the ramifications that come with using them. In my case however, I knew what I was getting into with this psychiatrist who prescribes the Xanax. It was typical addict behavior on my part. That doesn't dismiss the fact that she's wrong for doing it and I'm sure she's negatively affecting many other lives.
I'm at a point now where I have a strong desire to take action and get control of my own life. I wish I could enjoy occasional usage of opiates again in my lifetime, but my past proves that's not a likely outcome for me. That switch in my brain will get flipped on again and I'll be right back where I started. It's just happened too many times and I have to accept that.
So now my focus is weaning off the Xanax as safely and responsibly as I can and focusing on heath and exercise as my way of filling the gaps and producing natural endorphins.
It's a lot easier to pop some pills than to exercise, but the end results are polar opposites.
Easy = bad
Difficult = good
Nothing good comes easy.. Or, I should say nothing good that lasts, comes easy.
So far from birth to now my life has not been easy.. It's been pretty hard, so maybe something good is in store for my future.. I'm not going to say I deserve it more than anybody else, but I would definitely welcome good things to come.
I really have to stay on track, or I'll never know!
Thanks again for your support and replies, fellow Earthlings and Bluelighters.

Much love!
Light_Writer

How are you doing light writer? Is the taper still going smoothly?

I struggled with pretty intense opiate addiction for 10 years, from 2003 til the beginning of 2014 (3 months ago roughly). I finally got rid of it, in my case I used ibogaine which helped me to truly turn my life around. However you choose to do it, just know that it's possible to regain a normal life even after a decade of addiction. My addiction also cost me my relationship, which was 12 years long (longer than the addiction), with almost 6 years of marriage in there. In my case I discovered that the things I was suppressing because of the relationship were part of what made me so drawn to opiates, and part of why it was so hard to stop. But honestly, I also just couldn't handle the combination of cravings and horrible withdrawal. I got clean a number of times, once for nearly a year, and always went back for various reasons. But here I am today, at 31, with my joy for life back and a whole lot of growth behind me. Despite all the chaos and long-lasting repercussions, I don't think I'd change anything, because our experiences are largely what make us who we are.

Hopefully this provides you some measure of hope. In January I wanted to die and I fully believed I'd never be able to get better. But I did. <3

I've torn my rotator cuff, got surgery coming up soon. Not happy about how painful it's likely to be given it will probably mean taking an opiate based medication a few months after detoxing from a large dose of buprenorphine.

I'm on a diazepam taper as well at the moment which the surgery will interrupt. Definitely try and get on a longer acting benzo to taper, I'm on diazepam and dose twice a day and it just creates a nice smooth blood concentration and enables you to forget about the drugs to a certain degree and get on with your life. You're not constantly fiending on that next dose other than certain days after a reduction in dosage.

Would like to welcome you to the site and wish you well in overcoming your addiction. You can do this, you've been given a lot of good advice and also was nice what you said about BL helping save lives.

Evey

I've torn my rotator cuff, got surgery coming up soon. Not happy about how painful it's likely to be given it will probably mean taking an opiate based medication a few months after detoxing from a large dose of buprenorphine.

I'm on a diazepam taper as well at the moment which the surgery will interrupt. Definitely try and get on a longer acting benzo to taper, I'm on diazepam and dose twice a day and it just creates a nice smooth blood concentration and enables you to forget about the drugs to a certain degree and get on with your life. You're not constantly fiending on that next dose other than certain days after a reduction in dosage.

That sucks man, my recommendation is to not take opiates and just deal. I know that if I ever have something like that happen, I am going to refuse opiates because I'd rather be in pain for a few months than spiral back into addiction for god knows how long.

That sucks man, my recommendation is to not take opiates and just deal. I know that if I ever have something like that happen, I am going to refuse opiates because I'd rather be in pain for a few months than spiral back into addiction for god knows how long.

I was thinking about that too, Xorkoth, I'm a bit worried about Owen - he's been through a lot coming off the opiates - and then the suboxone. Owen it would be a shame for you to go through all of that again. If worse comes to worse do you have someone who could hand you the old one if your pain gets really bad????

Evey