MAPS List of Therapists Trained In MDMA/Psychedelic Therapy

moviefx

Greenlighter
Is there a list of therapists trained in MDMA/psychedelic therapy?

I think it would be interesting to have a session with a therapist trained in MDMA and psychedelic therapy but not take any drugs. I feel like a therapist that has been trained in MDMA/psychedelic therapy shows an open minded approach to therapy and that would make me more comfortable. It might be fun to discuss past experiences with someone with formal training as well.

There is probably no reliable list readily available since facilitated psychedelic therapy is still illegal. It can quickly cost a therapist their career to admit that they do it, even though it's far less controversial today than it has been in the past. I saw a psychiatrist and psychologist at an extremely open-minded clinic for over 10 years, and no one there over that entire timespan would even consider it. Now that it's not considered "out-there" to do it, you may have some luck phoning around to doctors to see if they'd consider it.

It might be fun to discuss past experiences with someone with formal training as well.

Usually therapists try not to give too many details about themselves. Over time you learn more about them, but they generally try to keep it a more professional atmosphere so that they can maintain a position of authority.

If you went to someone and they were talking about their past or their lives, it might make you question them or maybe in some way lose respect for them or think less of them. All of which might ruin the therapist/patient relationship. Also it would dig into the time that you're paying for. They're there to help you with certain issues, not to be your friend.

At this point in time it doesn't seem like most therapists who do MDMA therapy would advertise it because the perception of the drug is still controversial.

The only therapists I've discovered who do it were word of mouth.

My name is Shannon, I'm MAPS' Executive Assistant. We are developing a referral list for therapists who are knowledgable in the psychedelic experience so that clients can work with an informed therapist who understands their previous experience and can help integrate. The therapists wouldn't necessarily be people trained in psychedelic therapy but professionals who self-identify as being knowledgable in the field. This list will take some time to develop but we are currently considering how to receive requests and offer the information to potential clients. Please check back on our site later this year.

Additionally MAPS will begin to train therapists in MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for our Phase III trials, which we anticipate beginning in 2017. We hope that MDMA-assisted psychotherapy will be a legal prescription medicine by 2021 and people who meet the FDA-approved conditions can be given a prescription to see a trained psychedelic psychotherapist. There is much to be revealed and we are well on the way!

My name is Shannon, I'm MAPS' Executive Assistant. We are developing a referral list for therapists who are knowledgable in the psychedelic experience so that clients can work with an informed therapist who understands their previous experience and can help integrate. The therapists wouldn't necessarily be people trained in psychedelic therapy but professionals who self-identify as being knowledgable in the field. This list will take some time to develop but we are currently considering how to receive requests and offer the information to potential clients. Please check back on our site later this year.

Additionally MAPS will begin to train therapists in MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for our Phase III trials, which we anticipate beginning in 2017. We hope that MDMA-assisted psychotherapy will be a legal prescription medicine by 2021 and people who meet the FDA-approved conditions can be given a prescription to see a trained psychedelic psychotherapist. There is much to be revealed and we are well on the way!

Thanks.

I support your cause and admire the example you all set.

Please consider how abnormally progressive Santa Cruz is. When I was vagrant I learned of the extreme variation in social tolerance in America. In some places they served vegan food at the food pantry and sold Grateful Dead shirts at the campus book store. An average day included street musicians making music while Reiki practitioners provided free therapy in the same public places college professors and the wealthy socialized. All races, sexualities, and most peaceful drug use (even in public) was well tolerated.

Where I live now the blacks and whites have violent conflict. Here the majority proclaim marriage is a sacred vow between a Christian man and woman of the same skin color because their god says so. People don't spend time outside in public because they risk being run over by drunk drivers. This culture mandates forced rehab and prison after they call for your arrest over simple marijuana possession. These people have good intentions, but their governments social policies have compounded their ignorance. They base their decisions on religion and past prejudice. You can't reason with the irrational. They need a map of how they could deal with their problems in more effective ways. Yet, I fear any doctor on this list in my area could become victim of an unfriendly entourage. This type of conflict could eventually harm M.A.P.S. broader goals.

Last edited:
Hi Shannon, I am new here....but I am really hoping you can give me some direction. My husband and I are mental health therapists in Boise, ID, and have been searching for how to become trained in MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for the Phase III trials. Could you tell me who to contact? We are in private practice together, and haven't been able to find a good contact to get involved. Anything you could offer would be very helpful....Thank you!

Hi Shannon, I am new here....but I am really hoping you can give me some direction. My husband and I are mental health therapists in Boise, ID, and have been searching for how to become trained in MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for the Phase III trials. Could you tell me who to contact? We are in private practice together, and haven't been able to find a good contact to get involved. Anything you could offer would be very helpful....Thank you!

I am, admittedly, not a very intelligent person. I have taken MDMA three times, two of which were prior to 1985, during which of course it was a legal substance. Those that introduced me to it called it "Love", which is an understatement as you are aware.

I digress. I possess a fair background in chemistry, yep, molecules and what-not. <smiles> I also know of a potential Therapist. I need her to facilitate. She is an awesome and rare (where I am physically located) human being. I experienced some traumas (who hasn't?) that make MDMA the single catalyst. I write this, wondering in my arrogance, hoe do I introduce her to being my completion? I <can> synthesize "the stuff" but it is of course a fairly complex molecule.

MAPS, I am sure, has a hard time finding individuals wanting to take MDMA, or similar substances. Yes, I am being facetious at best.

I suppose I am just marking this point in time as I write this. I will add, I am nearing the ancient age of fifty. At fourteen, I consumed enough psilocybe mexicana to have Timothy Leary fearing for my well-being! The result was psychologically catastrophic. But, I am moving on.

Yours,

Chris

^You should email MAPS at the address [email protected]. I have enjoyed contacting them previously. They are courteous and professional. Also you should look at this site:

MDMAPTSD.org