• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Ambien - first time - who replaced my sleeping meds with crazy pills?

Burnt Offerings

Moderator: Drug Culture & CEP
Staff member
I'll keep this brief as there really isn't much to say about what happened.

I recently obtained a small amount of zolpidem ("Ambien"), a drug I'd heard about it the past but had never taken before. I knew that it was a "sleeping pill" & that it was supposedly somewhat similar to benzodiazepines (which I've taken many many times in the past, around seven different types of benzos). I suspected that the effects of Ambien would be somewhat similar to the effects of Valium, which to me has always been one of the more sedating benzodiazepines, or maybe even something like a very strong antihistamine, which have always been pretty effective at putting me to sleep. As it turned out it was really like none of these things.

I took the 10 mg tablet at around 11:30 PM, and around 11:50 I was starting to feel it pretty good. Shortly there after I went into the kitchen to go get something to eat (I was still hungry from smoking weed shortly before) and I saw a dark shape flying rapidly around the darkened room. It was either a bat or the largest moth I've ever seen in my life, and it was moving silently in a wide circular motion around the kitchen. Everytime I'd try to get a good view of it, it would rapidly dart out of my line of sight. I'm still not sure if this was real or if I was just "tripping". In any case I decided to retreat from the kitchen and go back into my room.

Later on I laid in my bedroom and watched one of my posters start to "image morph" on my wall...all the images on the poster blending and dripping into each other like I was on psychedelics or something. If I wanted to I could snap it into focus but if I just casually looked at it there's was definitely something weird going on in my brain. Colors were distorted, there were "auras" of light around certain images even though there was no real light source around those images, etc...it was like a very mild psychedelic experience, which I thought was completely bizarre seeing as how what I'd taken was a pharmaceutical drug. I remember looking at the digital clock in my room and seeing that there was a really weird sickly green tint around the borders of it, and the "9" in "12:19" looked like it was collapsing over on itself as I looked at it, bending forward until it was almost touching the "1".

I also had very strange thought processes, although they weren't necessarily stressful or disturbing. I remember gripping my shoulders with my arms, which were crossed against my chest, and thinking "I've got to tell this motherfucker to take their hands off my goddamn shoulders, I gotta get some sleep!" But then I remembered that I was the only one in the room and it was MY hands on my shoulders, LOL

Ironically none of this helped me sleep...I eventually passed out at around 1:20 AM. Thus far the things that seem to help my chronic insomnia the most (drug-wise) seem to be Nyquil and Xanax, which will usually put me out before I get used to taking them and they stop working. I was just surprised that a regular dose of a pharmaceutical drug could have that kind of effect on my mind and make me "trip", albeit mildly...I'd heard of people having very strange experiences with Ambien before but I'd always thought it was because they took large doses or forced themselves to stay awake, etc