• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Heart rate while smoking Meth.

Immunator

Bluelighter
I've noticed that when I inhale and hold the hit in for a few seconds, that my heart rate drops to around 60 bpm. A few seconds after I exhale it goes up like it should given the situation. Is it normal for this to happen and is it happening from me holding my breath?

yes it is. You can actually slow you own heart rate down by breathing in through your nose and blowing out your mouth. I show my kids that all the time using a pulse oximeter. I do it to show them how to calm down. Don't worry about it.

How in the hell are you measuring you're heart rate while smoking meth? And 60 BPM is normal, FYI, probably uncomfortable for a tweaked though...

Yea I knew you could I just wasn't sure if it was normal when my heart rate was around 100 or so and when I blow out the hit it drops to 60. Lorne I just put my fingers to my neck and feel it after I blow out the hit.

Yeah you could just check for 15-30 seconds and multiply, but it's a bad indicator because it will quickly go up.

Good on you though, I don't think I could do that while smoking! I'd be too distracted. I've tried to monitor it IV, but doing a good shot it just stops becoming a concern.

How are you measuring your heart rate as you hold a hit of vaporized crystal?

What is your Systolic over Diastolic over beats per minute? How do you hold your hits of meth long enough for a blood pressure machine to calculate this? You know that to get accurate readings about your cardiovascular system, you have to be BREATHING...

I mean, this is ALL basically factors that are explaining how your body is using your cardiovascular system to bring OXYGEN to your organs and to vent CO2 as exhaust.... So holding your breath as you take a reading, is going to produce a reading as reliable as if I were to take my temperature after spending 2 hours in the snow hypothermic using a stethoscope to monitor my temperature.....

TL;DR can you explain how your method is supposed to produce _____ results, and what kind of results you were expecting to receive? I'm just beyond confused.

PSA: if you are using methamphetamine, do not rely on anything but a hospital grade or hospital-calibrated DIGITAL blood pressure monitor. There's no way anyone on meth should be trusting their time perception and multiplication/basic math abilities for something as serious as monitoring one's systolic/diastolic/bpm (Which EVERY serious/regular/HR-prioritizing meth user should be monitoring and documenting, before, during, and after dosing, redosing, etc...) When I would use methamphetamine, I documented my blood pressure and heart rate and body temperature at least five times per 24 hours.

I'm not measuring it all. When I said around X, I meant it extremely vaguely. I'm not checking while holding the hit in, but directly after. It is slower than my usual resting heart rate when not high. It was about 1 beat every second. Then I felt it start going faster, which my normal when high is around 100-120 when checking pulse. I'm just asking why its going down so low when taking a hit. I'm just assuming because of holding my breath and not breathing in straight oxygen.

Well no one's breathing in straight oxygen unless you're using an O2 tank and mask, i bet you mean regular air.

Are you a chronic / long time user of methamphetamine? If so, you probably are aware that to those who use this drug a ton, it can act as a hypnotic, almost like shooting heroin, causing calming effects (temporarily).

Hah, yea I meant air. Not chronic or long term. I only recently started using a few times a week. Before that one dose once a weekend. I know of the calming effects but the slowness only lasts for a couple seconds after I release it, then speeds back up.

Back in the day, after administering an industrial duty dose of methylated-amphetamines, had it knock me out as if it were general anesthesia...

Just goes to show how careful one must be when using such a strong compound and the respect it deserves.

Okay Tricomb, all of that was a good read but completely irrelevant to my question and you are making mountains of molehills. I don't need professional grade equipment to know the difference between really slow and really fast in a heartbeat. I asked a simple question which you have responded by talking about far worse ROAs. I don't see the point here? Only reason I wanted to experiment with smoking was to blow out the big puffy clouds. Been interesting but I think I'll stick to the occasional plugging or oral session. Once again, question is still very simple. Heart rate really fast. I take a hit an let it out, heart rate is really slow. A few seconds go by and then it is really fast again. Lamens terms, is that so hard to understand?

Breathing deeply and otherwise moving the diaphragm around in the gut stimulates the vagus nerve which lowers heart rate. In fact vagal nerve over-stimulation is a common cause of hypotensive attacks and fainting.

Then the meth kicks in and elevates your heart rate.

Smoking meth gets it to your brain faster than IV, because venous blood must pass through the heart, then the lungs, then the heart again before it reaches the brain. Drugs delivered to the lungs just have to stop at the heart once and then are sent directly to the brain. This has been studied with radioactively labeled crack and PET, I guess. (I'd imagine those were some strange studies).

Smoking is safer in that it doesn't involve needles and the associated risks of blood-borne diseases, and it's riskier in that it's easier to overdo it and be sent into a meth whiteout. Plugging is really the best option if you're not a prude... and if you're sticking needles in your arms I don't see how it's worse ;)

Any more questions? If not, class is dismissed .... :)

Okay

Last edited:
I think you totally missed the point of my post, which was not intended to answer your 'simple' question, but rather focus on the importance of how relying on your instincts isn't necessarily enough, like you said "I don't need professional grade equipment to know the difference between really slow and really fast", as if your heart rate was the only factor to consider here. Your sense of space and time are dramatically effected by extremely potent neurotransmitters responding to what you're ingesting.

By measuring more of your body's vitals that are measured with something that actually is programmed to precisely tell you specific quantitative data so that you can make better decisions (and as I was trying to say between the lines, you basically could understand the answer to the question you're asking by calculating these numerical values which gives you a perspective that is not 100% speculation.) and understand better how methamphetamine is affecting your body and whether there is even any physiological changes happening (and it would be shocking if there weren't...) vs how much is merely rapid changes in psychological / perspective leading you to distort your concept of timing... And that by using a digital blood pressure machine you could see how much of this is psychological and how much is physical, and the actual changes in your cardiovascular response to the methamphetamine blasting across your BBB.

For some reason meth doesn't seem to make my heart rate go up at all. I've never had the experience of feeling my heart racing after getting really spun. Another weird thing is my pupils don't dilate either. Not at all. It doesn't matter how much I snort or smoke.

Breath in - boom... boom.. boom. boom. boom. Breath out - boom... boom.... boom..... booom...... boooom.......

Im new to meth did coke fore 10 years untill it didnt really get me high anymore just angry. i tried meth a few times but never got off to it. about 6 months ago i moved nxtdoor to someone i knew and i did it with him a couple times and nothing untill about the 4th or 5th time i took like 2 hits and was geeked for about 6 hours and once it wore off I was still up and alert more focused. that turned into whenever he passed the bubble or asked if i wanted to which led to buying small quanities which i normally dont do with the drugs i use. anyways i cannot figure for the life of me that i only get high sometimes and sometimes it does not effeft me whatsoever. for example friday night i baught a ball 3.5 g's and the first half did nothing. i slept about 4 hours woke up and loaded the bubble and bam i geeked like a mother fuker for almost 3 days monday night/tuesday mourning. slept a couple hours went and got a gram. i devided into 4 .25(quarter grams and the first 2 kept me up from tuesday afternoon(11am) until wednesday about 8 . once i woke up the other half did nothing to me whatsoever

Meth can do that. It tricks you. Sometimes when you're on it you think you're not high at all when actually you're high as fuck.