• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

2m2bOH (2-methyl-2-butanol) - First time - between benzos and booze but better kinda

SkyblueMolly

Bluelighter
Hello. I call 2-methyl-2-butanol 2m2bOH because 2m2b is 2-methyl-2-butene. This is an incomplete trip report that I'm updating as I'm on the chemical. Typing's not hard at all on 2m2bOH actually. This stuff is better than benzos or booze, but it's kinda disappointing because I had greater expectations. Here we go.
10:00a.m. - Mixed a glass of mountain dew with 4ml of 2m2bOH (measured in a 10ml capacity graduated cylinder) and added 6ml of vodka(that's like 2.4ml of ethanol). I downed it, but struggled a little. It's not the worst thing in the world I tasted, but it's pretty awful. It'll take some getting used to. It kinda taste like half mint combined with a chemical taste. It formed little blobs so that's why I added the small amount of ethanol(for sulobility purposes). It's kinda weird.
10:30a.m. It was starting to affect me, I was very slightly dizzy, but more clear headed than benzos and more coordinated than on booze(ethanol). I felt a confidence boost and was cleaning the room and stuff. I had half a muffin and a small amount of coffee.
11:00a.m. - I cleaned the kitchen floor and the room and folded clothes and then I combed my hair and shaved. I put perfume on. I cared about stuff(not like on benzos when I don't care), and I kind of felt like I could speak my mind a little more.
11:30a.m. - Heading out. Feeling pretty confident, but not euphoric like I wanted to feel. Feeling pretty relaxed. I guess it's different for smart people. Maybe DMAA with 2m2bOH combo or a low nootropic dose of 2C-x series might be the ideal drug for a smart guy. I don't know.
12:00p.m. - I have entered a different mindset. I'm paying more attention to detail, but I'm not getting sucked into anxiety or life problems. I'm aware of them though. On booze, things just get dizzy and I act weird and sometimes irrational. On benzos, I get foggy headed and get mild to moderate anterograde amnesia for a while(not remembering events too much and life just passing by).
12:06p.m. - This stuff is great! :D Not nearly as good as I hoped, but still. It's not weird. I feel like somehow I was meant to consume this chemical. :) Time to say some catchphrases. I'm so cool I'm ...[pause for dramatic effect] supercool. %) I like my drinks magnetically stirred. ;) Study up! :D
12:08p.m. - Cool! :) This stuff is so chill. It's like thin clear petroleum in appearance and behavior though. Possibly one of the weirdest acting reseach chemical. But in terms of effects, it feels pretty natural and clear after a few hours. I have a weird chemical breath I think. I think the bit of ethanol helped me prevent the chemical burps I read about.
12:12p.m. - It's relaxing, I'll give it that. It's also good with boosting confidence. Might be cool to stack this 2m2bOH stuff with DMAA(dimethylamylamine) or other nootropics. Or maybe stack with phenylpiracetam and choline. Or maybe with a small dose of 2C-I(which is mood elevating and stimulant like). %)
12:16p.m. - I'm writing this in real time. Maybe I'll complete this report from memory at around 2:30p.m. or something since I've got stuff to do and I'm busy today. This stuff doesn't interfere at all with my activities. I wonder if anyone would notice if a coworkeer or a college student was on this stuff as it seems pretty normal and they'll be able to function well in those settings.
12:19p.m. - Better surf the web and not sink all the time in this detailed report about a chilled chemical that is so cool in my opinion. I've never had GHB though. Just listening to some songs and writing and I seem to focus more on stuff. How can this stuff enhance focus? Maybe it has something to do with reducing brain noise.
12:21p.m. - I feel confident, mildly relaxed, and normal, but clear headed and a bit more focused. I'm not high or wired, just feel clear. I feel clear! Holy crap! What does this mean?
12:24p.m. - Got to log out and do other stuff. I'll update this report later. :)
12:25p.m. - Incomplete report submitted. It's a work in progress! ;) %)
12:29p.m. - Cool Songs so you can listen to it while you read and feel clear and confident too! :D ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDimotukeQs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YriIpsT0p5w

Update.
3:00p.m. - Not much to report. It's just relaxing and mood lifting and not as sedating as benzos.

Update 2.
2m2bOH was taken on Thursday 7/3/2014.

I wrote the rest of the report on paper and will now type it up here.
2m2bOH (2-methyl-2-butyl alcohol, 2-methyl-2-butanol)

2:00p.m. - I ate a Quesarito from Taco Bell and a Fanta grape soda from a store. I saved half the Fanta.
2:30p.m. - Between this time period, I had a mild(yet persistent) headache and mild dizziness. It seemed like a caffeine headache(often caused by dehydration). Also, it was a hot and humid day. I had a glass of water, but symptoms persisted. I had the other half of the Fanta, but symptoms kept persisting. After a while(at around 3:30p.m. or something), I had 600mg of Ibuprofen and then lied on the couch for about an hour. I felt sort of better, but tired. I had a bathroom break. I looked at the clock and it was 4:30p.m. I went to bed. I fell asleep.
4:30p.m. to 7:30p.m. - I was sleeping. Zzzzz...
7:30p.m. - I woke up and had a bathroom break. I peed less often than while on booze and less often than when on benzos and less often than while on caffeine and even less often than when I'm sober. I had rice and peas and it was delicious. I had some water.
8:40p.m. - I had eggs and bread and warmed up some coffee and sweetened it with sugar. I had water first.
9:30p.m. - I had showered at 9:00p.m. and took out the trash too. I had two more glasses of water with ice and had a bathroom break. I turned on the AC for a little while(20 minutes). I am writing this section of the report from memory since 10:00p.m. on paper. I am typing what I wrote on paper. I am a semi-fast typer, but a slow writer.
10:45p.m. - -Feel pretty normal except for chemical breath and residual anti-anxiety effects. This stuff is a great anxiolytic! :D ;)
I love this chemical solvent. Other than dehydration(might've been this chemical inhibiting the release of caffeine by counteracting caffeine's diuretic properties. Caffeine might have been the culprit of dehydration, not 2m2bOH), this 2m2bOH stuff is great. It's so clean. It's not weird feeling. It does not cause mind fog or irrational behavior. In addition, it doesn't mess with coordination like booze and benzos tend to do. If you have norlam digestion and a clean colon, 2m2bOH is the perfect substitute to Ethanol(booze, beer, wine). You can even do 2m2bOH in an office or a chemical laboratory or even in a college campus between classes and no one would notice.
11:05p.m. - Still feeling residual relaxation. Time for a bathroom break. If the 2m2bOH (2-methyl-2-butyl alcohol, 2-methyl-2-butanol) effects continue in the morning, I'll continue this trip report. Overall, this is a pretty clean and useful lab solvent. The research is showing promising results and this semi-synthetic chemical is well developed. Examples of semi-synthetics are 2C-x (from 1,4-Dimethoxybenzene[found in nature]), MDxx (from safrole[found in nature] and sesamol[found in nature] and sesamol intermediates and acetone) and 2m2bOH (from EtOH or ethanol[found in nature] and acetone). I'm so cool I'm ... supercool. %)
Study up!
12:00a.m.(midnight) - sleeping with the AC set to automatically turn off in 2 hours.
Morning 4th of july - just residual relaxation and at first a heavy body like morning grogginess. That's it. I'm not anxious. Just normal pretty much.
Happy 4th of July bluelighters!

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_2methyl2butanol
substancecode_3m3p
substancecode_alcohols
substancecode_gabaergics
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
2-methyl-2-butene is not used as a drug AFAIK, so I don't really see the problem. There are certainly other drug abbreviations that happen to be the same as acronyms from non-drug-related fields.

Anyway I have tried the substance and got thoroughly wasted on it... easy to black out, but very good.

2-methyl-2-butene is not used as a drug AFAIK, so I don't really see the problem. There are certainly other drug abbreviations that happen to be the same as acronyms from non-drug-related fields.

Anyway I have tried the substance and got thoroughly wasted on it... easy to black out, but very good.

What doses did you use? I only dosed small amounts at a time so far. Maybe I should see how 6ml would feel and go partying with that amount. Even with the small amount of EtOH, the 2m2bOH still doesn't fully dissolve. I might not want to try too much 2m2bOH, as I don't want to get totally wasted. Just buzzed and relaxed.
Also, I used a 10ml capacity graduated cylinder to measure out the dose. It can actually hold 15ml to 20ml of liquid, but the measuring lines go up to 10ml. With something as potent as 2-methyl-2-butanol, eye-balling is definitely not an option.

Last edited:
I've used this stuff many times. Once with 99%, I went through almost 200ml in a couple months with little to no negative effects. Then recently I got some 97% and went through roughly the same amount. Based on my experience with the 97, it starts out with very little after effects, but if you use it once every couple days (not every day) for months, then major negative effects appear. At the end of my use (about a week ago) I got very nauseous and wasn't peeing enough. I drank more water in an attempt to flush it from my system, but I just got bloated and didn't piss any more. I didn't notice this effect when I had the 99%. So yeah, if you're using the 97%, I'd advise that you not use it very often because you may clog your kidneys (which is what Im assuming happened to me). I'm back to normal now. I noticed you also mentioned not peeing a normal amount so thought I'd let you know.

I've used this stuff many times. Once with 99%, I went through almost 200ml in a couple months with little to no negative effects. Then recently I got some 97% and went through roughly the same amount. Based on my experience with the 97, it starts out with very little after effects, but if you use it once every couple days (not every day) for months, then major negative effects appear. At the end of my use (about a week ago) I got very nauseous and wasn't peeing enough. I drank more water in an attempt to flush it from my system, but I just got bloated and didn't piss any more. I didn't notice this effect when I had the 99%. So yeah, if you're using the 97%, I'd advise that you not use it very often because you may clog your kidneys (which is what Im assuming happened to me). I'm back to normal now. I noticed you also mentioned not peeing a normal amount so thought I'd let you know.

Thanks! :D
I guess that explains the mild dizziness, mild headache and not peeing as often. I've got the 97% stuff. I guess I need to keep the use of 2m2bOH (2-methyl-2-butanol) at a minimum until I get a place to harbor a small lab and then get a retort and heating mantle and stuff so I can distill this stuff. Hopefully, distilling it would purify it to 99+ % purity. Better go to college I guess.

Some 2-methyl-2-butanol videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaI1PjForUc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhpPTDVss7M

Last edited:
I thought this was dangerous? Carcinogenic? Am I confusing it with another chemical?

I thought this was dangerous? Carcinogenic? Am I confusing it with another chemical?

Yeah maybe the 2m2b carbamate. It is potentially carcinogenic because small molecules with a urea get closer to urethane which is. 2m2b on its own should be fine though.

2m2bOH (2-methyl-2-butyl alcohol, 2-methyl-2-butanol) is metabolised via gluconoridation and p450 oxidation into 2-methyl-2-butyl gluconoride and 2-methyl-2,3-butanediol respectively. These are non toxic metabolites. EtOH (Ethanol, booze, beer, ect.) metabolises via alcohol dehydrogenase into acetaldehyde(which is toxic), then metabolises into acetic acid(which is non toxic). %) The 97% 2m2bOH stuff might have acetone as the main impurity. That may explain the mild dizziness and mild headache and decreased urine excretion. Maybe condensing that acetone with DMAA and bubbling hydrogen gas through it then distilling it would purify it, but I'm not sure. I don't have DMAA at the moment anyways or a lab. :(

Also, 4ml to 6ml of 2m2bOH will make you kind of tipsy. Beware!

Last edited:
Did this today, never again. Smells like gasoline, the fumes coat your mouth, burps taste like rotten eggs and mint, irritates the throat, awful awful awful. I was on the verge of vomitting for awhile, so I smoked a bunch of hash. Obviously this made it harder to gauge the effects of the vile solvent alone but since I'm never doing it again that didn't bother me too much. I definitely felt the effects through the weed, though. Fuzzy headed, euphoric body high, kind of goofy. Nice but not worth the heinous experience of putting it into your body.

Did this today, never again. Smells like gasoline, the fumes coat your mouth, burps taste like rotten eggs and mint, irritates the throat, awful awful awful. I was on the verge of vomitting for awhile, so I smoked a bunch of hash. Obviously this made it harder to gauge the effects of the vile solvent alone but since I'm never doing it again that didn't bother me too much. I definitely felt the effects through the weed, though. Fuzzy headed, euphoric body high, kind of goofy. Nice but not worth the heinous experience of putting it into your body.
Just stick with ghb or gbl next time my man, lesson learned.

Unfortunately I don't have access to those, but either way I'm taking a break from weird solvents.

How would you compare vs. addictiveness to kratom?

I've never been addicted to either. I've only suffered from polysubstance dependence. But IME:

I view them as equally addictive from what I gather. Personally the closest I've used to G was phenibut and it was very very addictive for me because it turned me into a social predator, an absolute GOD among mere mortals...anyways I didn't use it long enough to get physically addicted but one person I was using it with was a former G user and said it was pretty similar in the high amounts we were taking.

I've heard kratom is highly addictive as well though, also physically addictive. Tread carefully.

phenibut even at the highest dose still can't hold a candle to G but I really didn't find either of them that addicting, then again I don't think cocaine is all that addicting either so I may be biased.

Phenibut had the most subtle, unsatisfying effects paired with the most obviously physically addictive properties for me. I didn't care for it at all.

Still better than choking down 2m2b.

I enjoy 2-methyl-2-butanol more than ethanol. I generally only use it once a week or less often though. I never go over 6ml because 2ml to 6ml is usually enough for me. The reason for not trying higher doses is because I don't want to get too inebriated.
It's interesting that it doesn't have toxic metabolites. :)
xfuqom.png

Thanks for the report, but please try to refer to novel chemicals by their IUPAC names unless another unambiguous scene name has been established. We don't need any more confusion, even if it doesn't seem like any harm would be caused in this case and you did give an explanation. Again, thanks for reporting a novel substance.