• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Drugs and Depression

mastersofine

Bluelighter
Hey guys. I am on 6 mg of Subutex, 10 mg of adderall, and 1 mg, of klonopin a day. Most days I feel great and normal, but some days I get depressed for no reason. Does anybody know of any drugs they would recommend to help this. I have been on SSRI's before and they worked, but the side effects were annoying. Like I said most days I feel great, but maybe once a week I get badly depressed for no obvious reason. Let me know if anyone has any ideas on why this happens or how to help it.

its cause your on all those drugs

benzos arent made right for some ppl
idk it seems that way when I have tons of drugs and you think id be happy (anxiety free) and stuff and such but its the other way around
im more depressed

Taking Adderall every day surely doesn't help you feel good, stimulants cause depression over time. Subutex and Klonopin are also depressant...

The best way would be getting off drugs but I know its an easy answer... I don't recommend SSRIs neither. Caffeine helps for short period.

I would recommend mirtazepine (Remeron), it isn't an SSRI but it's a different type of anti-depressant altogether. In clinical trials it did better than any SSRI or tricyclic/tetracyclic antidepressant. It also has less side-effects than the other anti-depressants. The main side-effect is pronounced hunger and sleepiness. Take a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirtazapine and read a bit about it and see for yourself if it is something you are interested in taking. If it's not something you are interested in, then as a second choice I would recommend bupropion (Wellbutrin). It has sort of a more stimulating effect. Here, take a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion

Hey, man, you can beat this! I was depressed for over 10 years, but I actually suffer from bipolar ii, so I was put on lamotrigine (Lamictal) and I have been feeling way better. You can use lamotrigine for depression, off label, so it's something to look into. Good luck!

Also, I know this isn't exactly great HR, but I would maybe ask the doctor if you could raise the dose of the Adderall because 10mg is a very small dose and you have probably already have built a tolerance to it and don't feel it's effects. Amphetamines have been used to treat depression in individuals who don't respond to other treatments (SSRI, tryciclic/tetracyclic AD's, etc.). Just make sure you don't go above 20-30mg, that's when the side-effects outweigh the benefits. Also, long term use of amphetamines has been linked to depression and anxiety, so keep that in mind! It would definitely be a better idea just to get off the Adderall. It has a lot of side-effects and isn't too great for your heart, etc., but I know it's not easy to get off of and you probably don't want to get off of it. That's why I even recommended the dose increase..

Like the above poster said, your best bet is to get clean and sober, but I am a realist so that's why I gave you the suggestions above. You wouldn't want to come off the bupe, though, because it does help depression and keeps you stable and off opiates, I presume? Just had to put this little disclaimer at the bottom.

Also, I was on clonazepam (Klonopin) for over 10 years on and off and I think at times it did make me feel depressed, so keep that in mind. Maybe it's time for you to get off of it, unless you have severe anxiety and really need it. You can't stop it cold turkey, you would need a taper, but it might make you less depressed.

Take care!

Last edited:
thanks guys. Like I said my depression only happens once in a while, but when it does happen its awful. Also, the drugs im on do way more good than harm so I will not be getting off them any time soon and davey I'm glad your feeling way better man I will ask my doc about those things. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

Hey guys sorry to bump the thread, but does anyone have any non-SSRI options for treating depression that have worked for you or someone you know?

I would recommend mirtazepine (Remeron), it isn't an SSRI but it's a different type of anti-depressant altogether. In clinical trials it did better than any SSRI or tricyclic/tetracyclic antidepressant. It also has less side-effects than the other anti-depressants. The main side-effect is pronounced hunger and sleepiness. Take a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirtazapine and read a bit about it and see for yourself if it is something you are interested in taking. If it's not something you are interested in, then as a second choice I would recommend bupropion (Wellbutrin). It has sort of a more stimulating effect. Here, take a look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bupropion

Hey, man, you can beat this! I was depressed for over 10 years, but I actually suffer from bipolar ii, so I was put on lamotrigine (Lamictal) and I have been feeling way better. You can use lamotrigine for depression, off label, so it's something to look into. Good luck!

Also, I know this isn't exactly great HR, but I would maybe ask the doctor if you could raise the dose of the Adderall because 10mg is a very small dose and you have probably already have built a tolerance to it and don't feel it's effects. Amphetamines have been used to treat depression in individuals who don't respond to other treatments (SSRI, tryciclic/tetracyclic AD's, etc.). Just make sure you don't go above 20-30mg, that's when the side-effects outweigh the benefits. Also, long term use of amphetamines has been linked to depression and anxiety, so keep that in mind! It would definitely be a better idea just to get off the Adderall. It has a lot of side-effects and isn't too great for your heart, etc., but I know it's not easy to get off of and you probably don't want to get off of it. That's why I even recommended the dose increase..

Like the above poster said, your best bet is to get clean and sober, but I am a realist so that's why I gave you the suggestions above. You wouldn't want to come off the bupe, though, because it does help depression and keeps you stable and off opiates, I presume? Just had to put this little disclaimer at the bottom.

Also, I was on clonazepam (Klonopin) for over 10 years on and off and I think at times it did make me feel depressed, so keep that in mind. Maybe it's time for you to get off of it, unless you have severe anxiety and really need it. You can't stop it cold turkey, you would need a taper, but it might make you less depressed.

Take care!

Oh yeah, I'm sure remeron did great in Organon's clinical trials ;)

Seriously though, it acts upon many of the same receptors as SSRI/SNRI's, and causes it's own side effects(extreme drowsiness and hunger).

Amphetamines are just a Terrible idea. I mean they will certainly "tweak" you're mood, but long term, they are simply unsustainable, not to mention it fucks you're dopamine regulation.

At some point, you do have to look beyond pharcological treatments, however if you have a chemical imbalance, you clearly need it corrected. U fortunately without medical history we can't even begin to know what might work for you, really it's just trial and error. But if it's opioid related. time may be the only solution.

Hey guys. I am on 6 mg of Subutex, 10 mg of adderall, and 1 mg, of klonopin a day. Most days I feel great and normal, but some days I get depressed for no reason. Does anybody know of any drugs they would recommend to help this. I have been on SSRI's before and they worked, but the side effects were annoying. Like I said most days I feel great, but maybe once a week I get badly depressed for no obvious reason. Let me know if anyone has any ideas on why this happens or how to help it.

Stuff like this amazes me. Most days you feel great, but some days you feel depressed? You understand that is how life works don't you? You can't always feel great. Hell, happiness wouldn't exist if we were never sad.

Hey thanks for the response lorne. I was a heroin and cocaine addict from age 15-21 so a lot of my depression stems from that. Subs work great for keeping me stable and not depressed, but some days I feel like totaly shit. Also I have been on adderall for many years and I take breaks and keep my dose low. I know it could be trial and error, but it would be great to find something that helps. Thanks.

Lol i understand that but what happens is definitely not normal. I wish I had normal ups and downs but it just isnt that way.

I can dig that, but low doses or not(6mg buprenorphine isn't low though, and 1mh clonazepam isn't a kids dose either, especially with chronic dosing.) you are on 3 powerful drugs. When taken on a daily basis, you can't expect them to keep feeling "up" all the time. Like I said, if you have a chemical imbalance it needs to be dealt with, but you can't possibly know as long as you are on 3 powerful psychoactive drugs that dramatically alter various procceses/neurotransmitters in you're brain.

Consider lamotragine at about 200-mg/day , your psych can explain how it helps. Helped me a ton and I'm prescribed pretty much the exact same meds.

I used to be on adderall... it made me feel like hell physically and mentally. I switched to dexedrine, no more headaches, depression and muscle stiffness.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am not sure about lamotragine, but I will ask my doc about it. Anybody else got any ideas?

Yeah someone else told me to switch to dexedrine. Does it feel different from adderall, or more or less the same? I have been on adderall for years and it helps me a lot. Im not sure if what I am feeling is because of adderall, but if it is would dexedrine give me the same effect with less depression?

Dexedrine (dextro-amphetamine) is way better than Adderall. It has less side-effects and is about 1.5x more potent. Give it a try.

Thanks davey. I'll ask my doc about it. Do docs regularly prescribe it or is it looked down upon by them.

Have you tried trazadone? ive used it for many years and havent experienced any side effects. Its good for sleep and depression and its been around a long time. You dont really build a tolerence and i have gone up and down on the dose many times. Its not a narvotic.

But like someone said earlier that life has those moments where we dont feel so great. Nobody feels good all the time, every single day. I think you need to do some inner searching and really find out why your unhappy before masking it with another pill.

Pills are short term no matter what you take and the problem with arise again. But its long term when you figure out an issue and deal with it instead of covering it up. Once you get used to that, its easier to deal with lifes issues as they come up. If your used to just covering them up, you wont know how to deal and little shit will become a huge problem.

I took trazadone in rehab and did not like it very much. I am on sub maintenance for heroin addiction, adderall for severe adhd, and klonopin for anxiety disorder. Like I said before I wish i had normal ups and downs but i dont. I would be fine with feeling down every now and then, but I get seriously depressed once or twice a week. It is strange because my depression only lasts a day or two but when it happens it totally blows. I do not like being on all this medication and am not looking to take more but if there was a drug with limited side effects that could help me I would love to try it.