The Official Nurseebol NEMD Thread she does what she wants, deal w/ it or come see me

This is straight from a story on Yahoo. I have always loved this song and found the whole story of his death so sad.

It's safe to say that there would have been a few million less "Hallelujah" choruses if not for Jeff Buckley's Grace album, which came out 20 years ago this week. Leonard Cohen might also be millions of dollars poorer, since it was the late Buckley's transcendent cover of Cohen's previously obscure "Hallelujah" that ultimately led to the song being a staple of everything from American Idol showcases to in-memoriam montages
[video=youtube_share;y8AWFf7EAc4]http://youtu.be/y8AWFf7EAc4[/video]

Grace got off to a modest start, commercially and even critically, when it was released on Aug. 23, 1994. Rolling Stone only gave the album a three-star review, and among the mixed sentiments, critic Stephanie Zacharek was down on the song for which Grace would become best known. "The young Buckley's vocals don't always stand up: He doesn't sound battered or desperate enough to carry off Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah.'"
Rolling Stone referred to him as "the young Buckley" in that put-down sentence not because he was 27 at the time, but to distinguish him from his famous dad, '60s folk icon Tim Buckley. It didn't look like there was much danger of Jeff eclipsing his father — not in that moment, anyway. The album peaked at a paltry No. 149 on the sales chart, and tentative plans to release "Hallelujah" as a single were abandoned. After he tragically drowned three years later at age 30, before ever completing a sophomore effort, Buckley's legend grew, but it was original songs like "Last Goodbye" that cultists latched onto, not his Cohen cover.
Then it was the 2001 animated film Shrek that really brought a new wave of popularity to "Hallelujah," with two different recordings. Neither of them was Buckley's, although it was his that music fans ultimately gravitated back to. The movie included a version of the song by ex-Velvet Underground member John Cale that had first appeared on a Cohen tribute album in 1991. And it's generally understood that Buckley was covering Cale's version of the song, which edited together lyrics from different stanzas that Cohen had sung at different times.
92d75d80-c747-11e3-9d40-df5aba5fddad_jeffbuckley-1800-1397061482.jpg

Then, when the Shrek soundtrack album came out, instead of the Cale recording heard in the movie, it substituted a fresh version by Rufus Wainwright. Anyone following the song's history and lineage couldn't help but be struck: Wainwright seemed to be covering Buckley's cover of Cale's cover of the Cohen classic.
When the tragedies of 9/11 occurred months after Shrek came out, the song was fresh enough in folks' minds that it began to get picked up and re-sung, presumably because of its surface spirituality, or at least its solemnity, regardless of how well its lyrics really suited the occasion. That set off a debate that continues to this day about what Cohen's sometimes cryptic lyrics are actually about and whether the song is truly fit for any occasion.

What almost everyone agrees on — besides Rolling Stone circa 1994, anyway — is that Buckley's version is the gold standard of "Hallelujahs" and the most praiseworthy of praise-the-Lords.

Rock writer Alan Light said as much in his 2013 book about the song, The Holy or the Broken: Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, and the Unlike Ascent of "Hallelujah": "If Leonard Cohen was the author of 'Hallelujah' and John Cale was its editor, Jeff Buckley was the song's ultimate performer," Light wrote. He acknowledged that, in Buckley's version, "the dry humor of Cohen's original was gone; there was no room for this sardonic maturity in such an earnest performance." But "even if Buckley's 'Hallelujah' didn't deliver all of the layers that Cohen's words contained … the passion and power of his performance are undeniable, irresistible. He polished the song to a perfect shape, in a way that allowed it to connect with a much different kind of listener than the cult of sophisticates who were devoted to Cohen's less inviting sound."
The list of "Hallelujah" covers is quite a monumental tower of song — to allude to another song title of the writer's. Among the other artists who've taken a crack at it: k.d. lang (a favorite of Cohen's), Bon Jovi (probably not such a favorite of Cohen's), Bob Dylan (in concert in the late 1980s), U2's Bono (on a 1995 tribute album), Justin Timberlake, Susan Boyle, Neil Diamond, Willie Nelson, Il Divo, Tangerine Dream, American Idol contestant Jason Castro, and British X Factor winner Alexandra Burke.

But in 2008, when Castro covered "Hallelujah" on Idol, Simon Cowell specifically noted that the Buckley version was one of his favorite recordings of all time. This resulted in a huge sales spike for Buckley's "Hallelujah," propelling it to the top spot on the iTunes singles chart; the single was later certified platinum, 14 years after its original release and 11 years after Buckley's death. It was the first time that Jeff Buckley had gone to No. 1 on any chart, ever.
There's often some confusion over the song's lyrics. When Cohen first recorded it for 1984's Various Positions, it was marked by hope and even real religiosity as well as humor. The Cale/Buckley version borrows from different drafts of the tune. To some, it's about depression and despair; to others, about sex and romantic abandonment; to still others, the spiritual overtones are real are far from completely ironic. The best answer is: all of the above.

Buckley initially seemed to favor the sexual interpretation, but he ultimately went deeper than that. "It's a hymn to being alive," the late singer once told Interview magazine. "It's a hymn to love lost. To love. Even the pain of existence, which ties you to being human, should receive an amen — or a hallelujah."

Says author Sylvie Simmons in her acclaimed 2012 Leonard Cohen biography, I'm Your Man: "I've upset a few Leonard Cohen fans by saying that I prefer [Buckley's] version to the original. Buckley understood the strength of the melody. He sang it like he was in a cathedral."
f7fcc1f0-2a43-11e4-9a5d-734b3ee1582a_The-Holy-Broken.jpg

Indeed, it was Buckley's version, not Cohen's or anyone else's, that was played in April last year at Fenway Park during a tribute honoring the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings, before the Red Sox played their first home game following that tragedy.
So what does Cohen think of "Hallelujah," after all these years… and all those royalty checks? "I like the song. I think it's a good song," he allowed in a 2009 interview with CBC. "But I think too many people are singing it. I think people ought to stop singing it for a while."

Of course, the success of "Hallelujah" is arguably not Cohen's to bemoan anymore, now that the song belongs to the masses, or the Lord of Songs, or maybe just its purest, most tragic interpreter after all.
[video=youtube_share;hlUUoIUJL8E]http://youtu.be/hlUUoIUJL8E[/video]

<3<3 One of my faves right now. The energy and you can tell they had such a good time.

[video=youtube_share;jTSq3A0470w]http://youtu.be/jTSq3A0470w?list=PLE58CE46B15A0978F[/video]

So.....what is that tattoo? At first I thought godsmack sun, but I don't take ali as a godsmack fan. I've been wrong before tho.

I have no idea what either of them are LOM. Hence the question. And of course he is no where to be found on this. Typical Alasdair

I cannot thank Kernickie enough for bringing this to NEMD attention on the FNM thread. I am more excited than a kid going to Disney!

Faith No More to Release First Album in 18 years. Plot U.S Tour

720x405-451694024.jpg

BY CHRISTOPHER R. WEINGARTEN | September 2, 2014Influential alterna-metal iconoclasts Faith No More are set to release their seventh album — their first in 18 years — in April of 2015, bassist Bill Gould tells Rolling Stone. The record will be a totally independent product — produced by Gould, recorded in their Oakland rehearsal space and released on their own imprint, Reclamation Records (which will be distributed by frontman Mike Patton's long-running label, Ipecac Recordings).

"The name has to do with the fact that we realized we were free from our recording obligations," says Gould. "We weren't touring, we have these songs that we were working on — that we think are pretty cool — and why don't we just do our own imprint and kind of reclaim our future, in a way? We own the future more than we ever have."

Though no dates have been booked, the band is planning a full U.S. tour around the album's release. Since their return to the stage in 2009, they've only played five American cities.

The album's first single, "Motherfucker," a song they premiered in London's Hyde Park in July, will be released on a seven-inch due for November 28th release and limited to 5,000 copies as part of Record Store Day's Black Friday. The B-side will be a remix by electronic art-pop sound designer J.G. Thirlwell.

We caught up with Gould to find out how a band of industry veterans is carving their own path.

How far along are you into the new record?
We're actually pretty far into it.

Does the record have a name yet?
No, no, we're not there yet. We're just comfortable talking about the fact that we're making one. [Laughs.]

How long have you been playing with the idea?
We've been working on this idea for probably a year and a half. We live in different cities and all have other things going on, so it's a matter of checking in and focusing and working little by little.

Has it been hard to keep it a secret?
People ask me all the time, "What are you doing now? You're working all the time, but what the hell are you doing?" And you can't say anything. "Oh, you know, just working on stuff; working on some projects." Who wants to start hype with nothing behind it, you know?

What would you say the new stuff sounds like?
I mean... [Laughs.] What I can say is that I think through our experience as musicians over the years, I think what we're doing reflects where we've gone since we made our last record as Faith No More. I think this kicks things up a notch. And I think there's parts that are very powerful and there's parts that have a lot of "space." Everything we do, with our chemistry, the way we play; it's always going to sound like us. It's just what we do, that makes us feel good. Hopefully it doesn't sound like a bunch of 50-year-old men... which we are! [Laughs.]

What would you say is the defining feature of the material you're working on now?
If I can give it an adjective? There's going to be a lot of space and scope — big, big sound-stage space — but I also think there's gonna be a lot of those things that we already have. All I can say is what we're doing just feels right.

What are some of the things that you guys have picked up in the last 17 years that you bring to a session now?
We play better. When we got back together to do those reunion shows, we were in rehearsal and we all play the songs better; we're better musicians. That was a huge deal. Songs that we were really pushing when we wrote them came pretty easily.

When was your contract up?
I think that we were officially free from it as of four or five months ago. We wrote a letter saying that we consider that we're free and clear from our obligations and they confirmed it.

No shit?
Yeah. So that was a big deal. Back in the day, we were a weird band that had to tour a lot. We were constantly fighting to get our label's attention and to get behind us. We toured a lot, and in some ways, I think we're a little shell-shocked from that, even still — 17 years later. When we had these songs and we were working on stuff, and we're trying to be creative and be a real band, there was always this thing over our head like, "Yeah, but are we going to get cut into this meat grinder again?" And there's just something really freeing about knowing that we can make our own decisions… I can't imagine doing it any other way right now.

It's more independent than the records you made in 1985!
Yeah, it's weird and interesting... It's really empowering to say, "Wow, it's our clock; we're doing it on our own time. There is no budget, there is no timeframe — it just has to be good." It's such a pleasure to be working like that.

Is there even one hand in the soup besides the five of you at this point?
I don't think there is; I actually don't think there is.

Are there influences that are coming in from bands that weren't around 17 years ago?
Oh, yeah. Justin Bieber — I don't even know how old Justin Bieber was when we were playing last time — and now, he's a major influence. [Laughs.] We didn't even have the vocoder effect back then. It's amazing how technology is moving forward.

I wouldn't put it past you guys, honestly.
You shouldn't. [Laughs.] A little word of advice: Don't…

Are there younger, newer movements that are influencing you?
I'm only going to answer for myself. I've really gotten into a lot of things, stuff outside the country: Balkan-influenced stuff, stuff that goes outside Western ways of thinking about music that can be really powerful, but not in ways that are tried-and-true rock & roll ways? For example, there's this Bulgarian guy Ferus Mustafov who does this crazy shit; there's no rock & roll in it at all. But there are just things that he does. Musicians are musicians; there's just certain ways that they attack what they do that you key off of that.

In 1992, you guys were a square peg, you didn't fit into Headbanger's Ball, you didn't exactly fit into 120 Minutes... Where do you guys fit in now?

It's like a hexagonal peg now. [Laughs] In a lot of ways, it's really more of a challenge. But we can't think of it like that; we think we've got something good and that's about as far as we can control it. And actually, it's really interesting for us because it was always a struggle back in the day when we were playing and making music — it felt like we were never really getting it over the net with people. To where, here it is 15 years later, people actually want to hear what we do and the stuff we did actually lasted. And, to me, that's it — that means we succeeded [and] that's totally great. And that's the thing that makes us want to do it again.

Kirtan music, yep that is right

Near my home, about 6 miles away is a place folks call the "Isckon Farm" or the proper term Gita Nagari Farm. Here there is a group of people with the goal of total self sustenance. I am sure we have heard of the Hare Krishnas in airports. I have lived among them all my life and made many good friends.
Just a few years back, I even worked with some of them.
It was through them I was introduced to Kirtan music. Now, my favorite style is actually not Krishna, but from the Sikh tradition.
The bottom line is that the music is very soothing and can calm almost anyone down in a pinch.

"ISKCON
Gita Nagari Farm is a non-profit organisation owned by the International Society for Krisna Consciousness (ISKCON). ISKCON was founded by His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada in 1966.The focus of the organisation is to contribute to the respiritualisation of the entire planet and its residents. The community at Gita Nagari sets out to do this by demonstrating the principles of “simple living and high thinking”. While this goal has not been fully achieved, all activities on the farm are geared to this objective. God is the centre and all residents are His servants in their respective services.ISKCON is an international spiritual organisation and has a presence in practically every city around the globe"
gitanagiri1.jpg

Kirtan music is a type of call and response chanting, often done in groups.
However, the music I am posting here is done mostly by one singer.

BlueMountain4.jpg

[video=youtube_share;D73LDwdDpIk]http://youtu.be/D73LDwdDpIk[/video]

[video=youtube_share;lT1UI54YUZc]http://youtu.be/lT1UI54YUZc[/video]

Can I play with Madness

I don't know why this part of the forums isn't more popular. Maybe music doesn't hit everyone the same as it does me, or maybe not everyone is as passionate about it.
At any rate my example comes from today:
I had a terrible row with my best friend (you can't say bmf for best male friend, why?)
But we have known each other since grade school.
Recently I hadn't been myself and said some horrible things to him, even though it was his gf I was more angry with.
I mean, horrible things. It turns out I had weaned off my one medication and after almost 2 fucking months it was causing "SSRI discontinuation syndrome" along with return of original symptoms. It turns out this shit will mess you up forever. Don't start it. But I went back on a tiny dose and I feel like a new person.
But then there was these things I said and I couldn't even fathom I had done that.
Today we talked, and it turns out my husband (who hasn't talked to him a quite a while, they were on the outs too)
stopped by to talk to him and told him what had been going on.
Right before this descent into "madness" I had asked him to listen to 2 songs, and he told me he had and we talked about why (personal)
And he told me he knew something was wrong based on my behavior and was just glad I was feeling better.
This is what happens when someone really knows someone. And we are totally connected through music.
He told me he now thought of me when he heard this song.......and was thankful I had only played.
Maybe. Who knows. But anyway
But fucking IRON MAIDEN ROCKS
[video=youtube_share;ocFxQjPeyiY]http://youtu.be/ocFxQjPeyiY[/video]

And I really didn't realize how much Billy Joel is awesome

I just told my friend that this was his song from me. Billy Joel is awesome
[video=youtube_share;LN9AQTCnYyM]http://youtu.be/LN9AQTCnYyM[/video]

Last edited:
[video=youtube_share;RaOZ3Gkoruw]http://youtu.be/RaOZ3Gkoruw[/video]

[video=youtube_share;19xgzZdLMi8]http://youtu.be/19xgzZdLMi8[/video]

Originally I thought my tune was Flagpole Sitta but Joel has it nailed on this one.
I guess it depends on the day. Definitely both are apt

Last edited:
tumblr_mzz6cfLpLU1rzik3go1_500.gif

Though I listed the album Closer on top 10 depressing songs, I sheepishly admit I never fully listened to every song. I just knew.
I was able to do that and it deserves a much higher place in the Top 10.
Ian Curtis Lyrics along with the band's gritty guitar, and clean drumming make for one hell of an album.

2 favorites:

You put this one on repeat when you are so down all you can do is rock back and forth. Very good for that
[video=youtube_share;zcKGqgwLzjA]http://youtu.be/zcKGqgwLzjA?list=PL46BEBD920857D2F8[/video]

This is about the end of his marriage, IMO. He married very young (Ian Curtis)
[video=youtube_share;6oMFMRv5c3o]http://youtu.be/6oMFMRv5c3o?list=PL46BEBD920857D2F8[/video]

Since this is my thread, I figure I can post this here. I will put a song with it to make it work.

I'll be getting a new car
5lowsj.jpg

And I got my new collar bone. That thing was snapped like a pencil they said. Hurt more than anything in my life
qq8qac.jpg

Show and tell is over

[video=youtube_share;NvTNWWL4CW4]http://youtu.be/NvTNWWL4CW4[/video]

[video=youtube_share;mYrrzptJVFk]http://youtu.be/mYrrzptJVFk[/video]

It's no wonder New Order did so well, they were fucking tight

Holy fuck
stopplaying with your life
that was close

Watch
[video=youtube_share;Pkm-SNa5BMc]http://youtu.be/Pkm-SNa5BMc[/video]

Feel it closing in,
Feel it closing in,
The fear of whom I call,
Every time I call
I feel it closing in,
I feel it closing in,
Day in, day out,
Day in, day out...

I feel it closing in,
As patterns seem to form.
I feel it cold and warm.
The shadows start to fall.
I feel it closing in,
I feel it closing in,
Day in, day out,
Day in, day out...

I'd have the world around,
To see just whatever happens,
Stood by the door alone,
And then it's fade away,
I see you fade away.
Don't ever fade away.
I need you here today.
Don't ever fade away.
Don't ever fade away...

[video=youtube_share;zsHoOIHDutE]http://youtu.be/zsHoOIHDutE[/video]

Confusion in her eyes that says it all.
She's lost control.
And she's clinging to the nearest passer by,
She's lost control.
And she gave away the secrets of her past,
And said I've lost control again,
And of a voice that told her when and where to act,
She said I've lost control again.

And she turned around and took me by the hand
And said I've lost control again.
And how I'll never know just why or understand
She said I've lost control again.
And she screamed out kicking on her side
And seized up on the floor, I thought she'd die.
She said I've lost control.
She's lost control again.
She's lost control.
She's lost control.

Well I had to phone her friend to state my case,
And say she's lost control again.
And she showed up all the errors and mistakes,
But she expressed herself in many different ways,
Until she lost control again.
And walked upon the edge of no escape,
And laughed I've lost control.
She's lost control.
She's lost control.

I could live a little better with the myths and the lies,
When the darkness broke in, I just broke down and cried.
I could live a little in a wider line,
When the change is gone, when the urge is gone,
To lose control. When here we come.