Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Ecstasy with AntiDepressants

CudiZone

Greenlighter
Hey Everyone !

I'm super new here and this is my first post :)
I have recently been put on Mitrazapine (Remeron)(15mg) for Depression , I have been taking 15 mg nightly for about 2 weeks .

I was just wondering if I was to go out one night and take 2 pills that I have taken (before antidepressants) will it affect me badly ? Should I just steer clear from pills ? or will I be okay ?

PS: I smoked a fair bit of weed and dropped 2 pills about a week ago and felt amazing ! including the next day . I know this may seem like a weird question but I'm just wondering if this is okay to keep doing ? or should I stop because it may fuck me up ?

Thanks heaps guys !
:D

Last edited:
Hi there, it's not a weird question at all and actually a very important one! Antidepressants, when taken for long enough, block the serotonin release from MDMA completely dulling the experience. Since you're new to the ADs, the MDMA will still work because they haven't accumulated into your system yet, but given time they will strongly block the MDMA from working. You should focus on improving whatever problems you have while on the SSRI before rolling again.

Welcome to BL.

Thanks heaps for the Warm Welcome Jwills !

Thankyou for the reply and advice/help .
How long does it normally take for the AD's to kick in and have that affect on me of blocking the seretonin ?

Cheers

Thanks heaps for the Warm Welcome Jwills !

Thankyou for the reply and advice/help .
How long does it normally take for the AD's to kick in and have that affect on me of blocking the seretonin ?

Cheers

Approximately 2-3 weeks is when most people begin to notice positive effects from them. So I'd guess that after 2-3 weeks they'd block MDMA from working. At the latest, I'd say one month of ADs will block MDMA from working. But please don't see that as a reason to stop the ADs, see it as a reason to stop MDMA and focus on working through whatever problems have resulted in you taking the antidepressant.

Approximately 2-3 weeks is when most people begin to notice positive effects from them. So I'd guess that after 2-3 weeks they'd block MDMA from working. At the latest, I'd say one month of ADs will block MDMA from working. But please don't see that as a reason to stop the ADs, see it as a reason to stop MDMA and focus on working through whatever problems have resulted in you taking the antidepressant.

Thanks heaps for the help Jwills !
Hopefully I can resolve the reason why I've been put on AD's . It's a bit disappointing because I was going to a huge festival that I wanted to roll at but that's in 2 weeks time . This is more important though obviously . Hopefully I can get back to normal soon :)

Thanks Again JWills .

from what I've read, mitrazapine isn't and SSRI but a NAssA (Noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant), still as JWills pointed out it is not wise to take MDMA while on antidepressants. furthermore, mitrazapine is an antagonist of some serotonin receptors, so you're likely to feel nothing.

Hey there! I had been taking Prozac and Seroquel for about three years before I stopped this year. About three months after my last seroquel dose I tried rolling on molly/ mdma for the first time. I railed one point thinking I was in for a good time. I was with a group of friends I trusted and within an hour everyone was feeling it. all except me. I ended up taking three points that night and nothing affected me except the edible I took after taking the third point and giving up. Its been about three more months since then and I am going to try again.
Not sure if this will help any, but know that after taking an ssri consistently for more than a couple months you may have long term effects that may block serotonin resulting in you having little to no response to mdma for months after you stop taking whatever antidepressant meds you are on.

Ive been on 30 mg of mitrazepine for a couple years. I never noticed it making a difference in my rolls but I have herd of a connection between mdma on certain anti depressants making your body more susceptible to serotonin syndrome

from what I've read, mitrazapine isn't and SSRI but a NAssA (Noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant), still as JWills pointed out it is not wise to take MDMA while on antidepressants. furthermore, mitrazapine is an antagonist of some serotonin receptors, so you're likely to feel nothing.

Mitrazapine is not the kind of AD drug that will fuck with MDMA.

The mirtazepine will prevent most "trippiness" from occurring, but he still will feel the 5HT release and DA efflux.

Mitrazapine is not the kind of AD drug that will fuck with MDMA.

The mirtazepine will prevent most "trippiness" from occurring, but he still will feel the 5HT release and DA efflux.

Oh really, can you explain why that's so? I made an assumption it was a typical SSRI. What makes it different with MDMA?

Oh really, can you explain why that's so? I made an assumption it was a typical SSRI. What makes it different with MDMA?

It's not a typical SSRI, but I have no idea if it could cause harm combined with MDMA. The class is called NaSSA (noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressants) and while they do seem to posses certain serotonin re-uptake blocking properties, they have other methods of action too, some of them on the serotonin system. I couldn't say if the combination is dangerous as I am not well-versed in psychopharmacology but I wouldn't risk it because of the unknown factors. There are reports this is a safe combination and even that it shouldn't hinder your roll, but they're only anecdotal reports...

Thanks Heaps for the all the help guys , I truly do appreciate it !!!
If anyone else has anymore advice or help , it would be greatly welcomed !!!

- Cudi

PS : If anyone else is wondering what will happen , I plan to drop 2-3 tabs and have a big night in July .
I will post back here for my results :)
Let it be known I would have been on my AD's for a month by then .

Thanks Everyone !:)

SSRIs stop you from rolling with MDMA (or give you serotonin syndrome, depending on how long you've been on\off them) because they cause your brain to "bypass" serotonin completely.

SSRIs take 4-6 weeks to "kick in". This is deceptive; they IMMEDIATELY flood the brain with excess serotonin by putting a serious bottleneck in the drain flow. It builds up very quickly.

The reason it takes so long to kick in, is that after 4-6 weeks of being flooded with serotonin for 24\7, your brain just says "fuck it" and stops paying attention. In layman's terms, SSRIs cause your brain to ignore all serotonergic activity.

This is why people have lowered emotions and moods - what's called a "flat affect". You don't have any really bad moods anymore (but not necessarily any great ones, either)

THAT's why MDMA doesn't make you roll: Your brain just isn't "listening" for any serotonin activity anymore, so it doesn't even know you took any MDMA.

Now if you take MDMA right after you JUST STARTED taking SSRIs, before your brain gets to the point of saying "fuck it" like I mentioned, that's when it's especially dangerous, because your brain hasn't 'down-tuned' the serotonin excess yet, and it gets out of hand (serotonin syndrome).

Mirtazepine doesn't cause the constant serotonin build up that SSRIs do, it just blocks out certain specific receptors - most of the serotonin receptors are still functioning normally.

The receptors blocked are responsible for the "magic" and "trip" of MDMA, but someone on a low-medium dose of Mirtazepine will still feel the stimulation and "roll".

SSRIs stop you from rolling with MDMA (or give you serotonin syndrome, depending on how long you've been on\off them) because they cause your brain to "bypass" serotonin completely.

SSRIs take 4-6 weeks to "kick in". This is deceptive; they IMMEDIATELY flood the brain with excess serotonin by putting a serious bottleneck in the drain flow. It builds up very quickly.

The reason it takes so long to kick in, is that after 4-6 weeks of being flooded with serotonin for 24\7, your brain just says "fuck it" and stops paying attention. In layman's terms, SSRIs cause your brain to ignore all serotonergic activity.

This is why people have lowered emotions and moods - what's called a "flat affect". You don't have any really bad moods anymore (but not necessarily any great ones, either)

THAT's why MDMA doesn't make you roll: Your brain just isn't "listening" for any serotonin activity anymore, so it doesn't even know you took any MDMA.

Now if you take MDMA right after you JUST STARTED taking SSRIs, before your brain gets to the point of saying "fuck it" like I mentioned, that's when it's especially dangerous, because your brain hasn't 'down-tuned' the serotonin excess yet, and it gets out of hand (serotonin syndrome).

Mirtazepine doesn't cause the constant serotonin build up that SSRIs do, it just blocks out certain specific receptors - most of the serotonin receptors are still functioning normally.

The receptors blocked are responsible for the "magic" and "trip" of MDMA, but someone on a low-medium dose of Mirtazepine will still feel the stimulation and "roll".

You will not get serotonin syndrome from a typical SSRI and MDMA. MDMA reverses the re-uptake mechanism by pumping out serotonin instead of re-absorbing it. If you disable this mechanism with an SSRI there will be less serotonin in your synaptic cleft than when you just take MDMA without an SSRI involved. You aren't at risk of SS when your body doesn't get the chance to get used to the elevated serotonin levels because there will actually be less serotonin in the synaptic cleft than for instance if you just took MDMA without any SSRI influencing you. Please refer to this study for proof.

You say that you don't roll because your brain doesn't 'listen' for elevated serotonin levels. This is completely false. You don't roll because there ARE actually no elevated serotonin levels to listen for as an SSRI stops MDMA from flooding your brain with it. The only (slight) elevation that occurs is caused by the SSRI on it's own, but this is never enough to cause SS. A quote from the study I linked:
Controlled studies have found that the physiological and
subjective effects of ecstasy are substantially reduced in participants
given citalopram [32,33]. Results from animal experiments also
show that some SSRIs block the MDMA-induced release of
serotonin [31,34-36]. Interestingly, additional evidence from
animal models suggests that some SSRIs may protect against the
long-lasting neurotoxic effects of MDMA [36-38]. Whether this is
the case in humans is yet to be determined.

An MAOI on the other hand is an entirely different ball-game. They have been known (on numerous cases) to cause serotonin syndrome combined with MDMA

I'm not saying you should take MDMA with an SSRI as you are still combining 2 powerful substances with a lot of unknown factors. But serotonin syndrome is not one of the dangers. I don't know why people keep spreading this information as gospel...

*edit* I have read your reply but don't have the time at the moment to thoroughly reply back. I want to make one thing clear, I had no intention of discrediting your entire post, just the part about serotonin syndrome. I don't know what part of my reply was not clear about this but I apologize for the fact it wasn't. Furthermore I mean no personal attack should my reply have sounded a bit harsh, again I apologize for this if that's the case. I do, however, stand by what I replied and I will reply back with elaboration in a few hours

Last edited:
You will not get serotonin syndrome from a typical SSRI and MDMA. MDMA reverses the re-uptake mechanism by pumping out serotonin instead of re-absorbing it. If you disable this mechanism with an SSRI there will be less serotonin in your synaptic cleft than when you just take MDMA without an SSRI involved. You aren't at risk of SS when your body doesn't get the chance to get used to the elevated serotonin levels because there will actually be less serotonin in the synaptic cleft than for instance if you just took MDMA without any SSRI influencing you. Please refer to this study for proof.

You say that you don't roll because your brain doesn't 'listen' for elevated serotonin levels. This is completely false. You don't roll because there ARE actually no elevated serotonin levels to listen for as an SSRI stops MDMA from flooding your brain with it. The only (slight) elevation that occurs is caused by the SSRI on it's own, but this is never enough to cause SS. A quote from the study I linked:

An MAOI on the other hand is an entirely different ball-game. They have been known (on numerous cases) to cause serotonin syndrome combined with MDMA

I'm not saying you should take MDMA with an SSRI as you are still combining 2 powerful substances with a lot of unknown factors. But serotonin syndrome is not one of the dangers. I don't know why people keep spreading this information as gospel...

Basically that^^^. The SSRI and MDMA serotonin syndrome scare needs to stop.

My friend, I have described completely accurately the way in which SSRI's mitigate depression, and 100% accurately as well the reason why Mirtazepine allows users to roll.

You have only an issue with the small part of my post talking about down-regulation of serotonergic neurons. To discredit my entire post by saying it is "completely false" is more than a little misleading. In addition, nothing I have said was false at all - if anything I am guilty of omitting some of the facts, not providing faulty ones.

I was attempting to provide an easy to understand, "laymen's terms" type explanation, and I think I did that rather well.

If you re-read my post, I mentioned that SSRIs will not give you serotonin syndrome along with MDMA, unless you have just begun taking them recently. This is totally true - you are correct that MDMA and SSRIs will eventually compete for SERT, the serotonin transporter, and as long as you are on a decent, well-accumulated dose of any normal SSRI, the MDMA will not release much serotonin at all - and what little serotonin does get released (and some DOES get released, as evidenced by hyperthermia present even in heavily SSRI-acclimated mice) wouldn't matter anyhow, since the patient's 5HT receptors are all hopelessly downregulated.

Now, in those studies you posted, do you realize that the patients were treated with 40mg INTRAVENOUS citalopram before their MDMA dose? That is a huge amount - an attack dose, if you will - that is highly unlikely to be representative of normal prescribing habits and therefore patient experience.

A 10mg dose of citalopram that has been taken for only a few days prior to a huge MDMA dose could easily results in a serotonin syndrome, and this scenario is much more likely to mirror a real life scenario. A quick google search shows actually quite a few anecdotal accounts of becoming ill after consuming MDMA on the first few days of an AD drug...what exactly are you trying to prove?

SSRI's will diminish the roll even on the first day, yes, but this does not make serotonin syndrome impossible, and my goodness, I said in my original post that once you had been on them for more than a week, you would NOT get serotonin syndrome for sure...

My friend, I have described completely accurately the way in which SSRI's mitigate depression, and 100% accurately as well the reason why Mirtazepine allows users to roll.

With all due respect, you really didn't. Maybe it was because you tried to explain it too layman but either way it wasn't true.

That isn't an accurate layman's explanation. MDMA doesn't make you roll because the SERT is blocked by the binding of the SSRI. So, MDMA comes along and is unable to bind to the reuptake pump for it's reversal and the subsequent serotonin flood. Therefore, much less serotonin is released and the MDMA just floats within the cellular space until being removed as it would usually.

What I don't know is why Mirtazepine is different which you explained below.

What specific receptors? If any of those specific receptors were strongly involved in MDMA's entactogenic effects then it would also block it. If not, then it makes more sense. But your explanation was just general and certainly not 100% accurate.

You have only an issue with the small part of my post talking about down-regulation of serotonergic neurons.

I'm confused, where did you even talk about serotonin down-regulation? The issues I have are two-fold: as mentioned your explanation of SSRI's mechanism of action was tenuous. Secondly:

I mentioned that SSRIs will not give you serotonin syndrome along with MDMA, unless you have just begun taking them recently.

I bolded the important part. There's no empirical support for that and BlueBull provided empirical support suggesting it wouldn't. Have you considered the logic of your post with these two sentences too:

Now, in those studies you posted, do you realize that the patients were treated with 40mg INTRAVENOUS citalopram before their MDMA dose? That is a huge amount - an attack dose, if you will - that is highly unlikely to be representative of normal prescribing habits and therefore patient experience.

&

A 10mg dose of citalopram that has been taken for only a few days prior to a huge MDMA dose could easily results in a serotonin syndrome, and this scenario is much more likely to mirror a real life scenario.

The first quote, by using your logic, would be the highest candidate for MDMA & SSRI-induced SS. High dose of SSRI = acute serotonin release + MDMA's massive serotonin release = high risk for SS. But the study didn't report any SS did they? So clearly the theory doesn't work. How would taking 10mg for a few days be all that different from one day of a high dose? I'd argue the other way. One 'attack' dose would be likely to induce a higher acute release than 3 days of 10mg accumulated.

A quick google search shows actually quite a few anecdotal accounts of becoming ill after consuming MDMA on the first few days of an AD drug

Right, but how does that infer SS? I think if you got serotonin syndrome you wouldn't be on the internet writing an anecdote of your experience, you'd be in A&E sweating and chewing your face off, in a perhaps fatal condition. Serotonin syndrome isn't a simple tummy bug after a rave.

To discredit my entire post by saying it is "completely false" is more than a little misleading.

Context is a beautiful thing. Below is BlueBull's post.

you say that you don't roll because your brain doesn't 'listen' for elevated serotonin levels. This is completely false.

It's pretty clear that he didn't discredit your entire post. He said that your explanation for how SSRI's work was completely false and I somewhat agree with him, it was tenuous, but not completely false.

SSRI's will diminish the roll even on the first day, yes, but this does not make serotonin syndrome impossible

It is completely illogical to suggest that SSRI's can both dull a roll and cause SS at the same time. They are like polar opposites of each other. If the SSRI dulled the roll then it reduced the amount of serotonin being released. Whereas for SS to occur, the brain has to be overloaded with uncontrollably high amounts of serotonin. Without using some paradoxical paradigm, how on earth is it possible for those two things to occur simultaneously?