• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is it pointless to try Kanna while on methadone?

CherryOnWheels

Greenlighter
As the thread title asks. Is there any point to taking Kanna if I'm on 150+ mg of methadone daily? I'm on long term pain management and get piss tested regularly, so I can't use pot or any other illegal substance, and I'm looking into alternatives. There's a serious limit on the "natural highs" available when you can't leave your home, can't walk, can't orgasm, aren't allowed a puppy, and spent most of your waking hours too nauseated to go near chocolate. What the hell is left? There's only so much FFXIV I can play.

I'm not into ethnobotanicals much but have heard people having mixed results from kanna. I don't think it would mess with your methadone but if you do decide to try it, start small and see if it benefits you.

I wasn't really concerned about it messing with my methadone, just wondering if the meth will prevent me from feeling any of kanna's beneficial effects. I've looked into trying it because it's supposed to be a mood elevator, anti-anxiety, relaxing type of thing, but I don't know exactly how it works. chemically speaking. Methadone tends to suppress the euphoric effects of other opiates. Obviously kanna is not an opiate, but if kanna's mood enhancing qualities come from the same reaction in the brain that occurs with opiates, then it's just a waste of money for me. The methadone will make sure I don't feel any different than I would taking sugar pills.

I'm just looking for something to make my life suck a bit less. As I said, most ways of achieving a happy natural high are closed to me. There has to be something left. :(

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, kanna is an ssri, or atleast exhibits its effects through interaction with serotonin receptors and not at all through activity at NMDA or opioid receptors so I dont see any problems as far as one inhibiting the effects of the other.