• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Citalopram + Mirtazapine ??

Mirtazapine is no joke. I took some on a 2C-P overdose and it brought everything to a screeching halt and knocked me out cold (potentially saving my life in the process) with just a single 15mg pill.

that's interesting. a friend has been on mirtazapine a while ago and he definitely noticed potentiation of dmt. just one toke would send him off to the other side.
btw, the mirtazapine also turned him into a robot who wouldn't do anything else than working and studying without ever needing a break. it was pretty freaky to watch.

that's interesting. a friend has been on mirtazapine a while ago and he definitely noticed potentiation of dmt. just one toke would send him off to the other side.
btw, the mirtazapine also turned him into a robot who wouldn't do anything else than working and studying without ever needing a break. it was pretty freaky to watch.

Its a really weird med. I'm on the fence about it because my psych has me taking it at 7.5mg for sleep during my taper and it works so damn well but I'm afraid I'm going to get hooked on it which I don't want so I rarely use it. Its one of the most benign drugs I've had in terms of side effects though besides how sleepy low doses make me.

but I'm afraid I'm going to get hooked on it

Overall incidence and intensity of withdrawal are dramatically reduced in comparison with SSRIs. They are somewhat reduced in comparison with buproprion.

ebola

Overall incidence and intensity of withdrawal are dramatically reduced in comparison with SSRIs. They are somewhat reduced in comparison with buproprion.

ebola

That's fine on paper but my experience with benzo withdrawal is that I can easily find myself addicted to anything that even remotely relieves the symptoms. Case in point, I was in the psych ward and they rapidly detoxed me off of Klonopin and started giving me Geodon for the withdrawals. On the third day, a shot of 20mg didn't phase me nor did the second 20mg shot about an hour later and when I left the hospital I had mild withdrawal from it for a month even after I had fully reinstated my benzos. Geodon is known to be addictive but not that quickly and going from 20mg orally knocking you out cold to 40mg IM not phasing you is pretty much unheard of.

So again, it makes me nervous to add a med for sleep.

You were much much more likely to experience SS taking heroin and celexa together. This would be the same if you're taking celexa, mirtazipine and MDMA together. These are much more dangerous than taking the prescribed safe doses of mirtazapine and celexa from your NP. If anything these meds should help your detox symptoms as long as you're not mixing them with other drugs. SS and detox are acting in complete opposite ways in your body with Serotonin so whatever it is you are consuming should be your key indicator. If you are taking safe doses prescribed you should be absolutely fine. Hope this helps :)

I know this thread is years old but thought it better to post here than start a new thread. I've recently been prescribed 20mg citalopram and 30 mg mirtazipine. Citalopram to be taken on the morning and mirtazipine at bed time. This sounds like a lot of medication in one day, anyone else been on the two together at these doses. Prescribed for anxiety and depression. Thanks.

Ask your doctor - if your doctor prescribed them to you, take them as directed (at the times you're supposed to and in the dosages you're prescribed) and you should be okay. If you run into any problems then you should contact your physician rather than post here. Doctors know what they're doing.

Also, it's best to post a new thread rather than resurrect an ancient one.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I'm adding to the threadsurrection, but I had been on that exact combo around 15 years ago - it's fine. The fact that it has such a diverse profile of antagonism at various 5HT sites make it very safe in conjunction with SRIs, selective or otherwise.

it's fine

Completely. Mirtazapine is a 5ht and adrenergic antagonist, and KOR agonist so factor that into calculation. It makes you drowsy, sleepy, and the walls melting down alien letters.

^ Did not realize that mirtazepine had an affinity for KOR. Fascinating. Thanks for that

EDIT: Makes a bit of sense actually! I always took my trazodone on time, but when I switched to mirtazepine I tended to procrastinate. Perhaps it has a very slightly dysphoric effect.