• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Does Anyone Else Not Bother Potentiating Opiates?

Rybee

Bluelighter
I've been a fairly long-term pain management patient ~6 months and as I'm getting more tolerant to the medications (Currently MS Contin, Oral Morphine, Oxycodone) I'm looking at ways to help that opiate dose go a little bit further.

Everything I have used for potentiating them makes just makes me feel drowsier. I've tried the most common ones and not found anything that intensifies the high. I don't usually abuse my scripts because I need to try and limit my use and dosage, but sometimes I'm in a lot of pain and just feel awfully miserable so a higher dose once a week perks me up a little bit.

In light of this, what are the best potentiators to increase the high/rush/buzz... not just increase the length of action or the increased drowsiness?

Up until now, I've just preferred to take my opiates on their own. I don't like feeling sedated when potentiating, so things like Promethazine are out of the question really.

It just got me thinking... Who else just prefers raw opiates, so to speak?

I never bothered.

For some reason I loved coffee and especially cigerettes while high.

Cannabis. Ultimate potentiator. Studies show PM patients can decrease their dosage 50-80% when adding cannabis as an adjunct therapy.

I've mixed promethazine with my vicodin & I got really sedated. I like being sedated but not like that.

I have back pain so I've tried grapefruit with my vicodin but didn't like the feeling........like yourself, I rather take my meds by themselves.......I do take 1 Soma with 15 or 20mgs of hydrocodone

Cannabis. Ultimate potentiator. Studies show PM patients can decrease their dosage 50-80% when adding cannabis as an adjunct therapy.

Wow 50-80%? That's quite a phenomenal potentiator. I remember having a conversation with, I think - Lorne, last week about using stimulants such as amphetamines which have shown to synergise opiate's pain killing potential.

Grapefruit juice is a classic, but I've never actually tried it, come to think of it. I might give it a whirl... As said, I don't want sedation, I want a buzz.

I don't like weed but tried it several years ago with vicodin & hated the feeling. It felt like I had severe low blood pressure & I was gonna faint. I just hate Mary Jane.........plus if it shows up in my piss test, I'm out of the pain program.

When I want some energy, I will take 50mgs of Tramadol, 15mgs of hydrocodone & 350mgs of Soma for an energetic but chill feeling. I like that feeling........

I used to be obsessed with potentiating my opiods, it was my ritual. This being before I got into H...I would always chew up like 100-150mg of DPH (diphenhydramine) like 30-45 mins before I dosed whatever opiate pill I was doing at that time, but I found that as I got deeper into my addiction it's just an unnecessary expense IMO, and for this reason I don't really do it anymore unless i come up on some or have stuff laying around the house..

In my experience DPH causes heavy sedation as a potentiator, and Grapefruit Juice is more of a euphoria-booster, if you will. Oh yeah, maybe a BHO hit or two somewhere in there too :p

Peace

I don't bother. Oral oxycodone already has a great bioavailability so there is really no need to potentiate it. Even with something that has low oral bioavailability like the morphine, you aren't going to get much out of potentiation. You might get maybe +10% but I doubt it makes much of a difference.

I agree with felonious monk, whether you are looking for a better high or better pain relief weed seems to help the most. I found that eating a small amount of edibles (enough to get a mild buzz) makes opiates feel much better.

cannabis for sure that's the best I can lower my dose of opiates eah day drastically by using cannabis its really quite wonderful.
ive actually never been able to feel the opiate high that wellunless I smoked some weed afterwards so pretty much every opiate ive ever took has been tken with cannabis.

the only thing that has ever really given me a noticeable difference was DXM

take like 40-50mgs beforehand, youll see what I mean

This is what works for me: #1 If you can get a good dose (150mg x 3 daily) of Lyrica prescribed to you, it will safely increase the fun, buzzed part of your opiate high; it works well for me at least. #2 Look up each one of your meds, and see which liver enzymes break it down. With a little research, use can probably find an OTC drug, or even a med you have prescribed to you that uses the same enzyme to be broken down. If you take them together, it will slow the rate of breakdown for your opiates, increasing both the high and duration. It will just require a little research on your part, but trust me, its well worth the effort. There are a lot of OTC products the will work for this, and shouldn't make you tired. Just BE CAREFUL. Also many anti-depressants work this way also. But once again, be careful. And good luck.%)

The only potentiator I ever found that actually worked was DXM when combined with codeine. It must increase the metabolism of codeine into one of it's active metabolites, because I started using it at a stage when I could drink 500mg of CWE'd codeine and not feel a thing except for withdrawal relief, only to be talked into drinking a small dose of DXM (60 - 90mg) before taking the codeine (I was deeply skeptical, having tried the usuals like grapefruit juice with various opiates and found them useless) - suddenly the codeine was like a whole new drug, not only was it much stronger, but the quality of the high was significantly more euphoric. I went from not feeling a thing to getting a really nice high from the same dose. It blew my mind.

But other than that, nothing. Although I always took promethazine (or doxylamine succinate with codeine, as promethazine weakens it - or so I read in a study somewhere) with my opiates, as I'm rather sensitive to their histaminergic effects and would otherwise end up with too much nausea (and itching, with morphine and codeine) to enjoy the high, even after years of use. But antihistamines never actually increased the positive effects, just decreased the negative ones and made me a little more sedated, which I guess you could trick yourself into thinking of as being higher. Likewise with benzos, you'll nod easier because they're making you more sedated, and the extra anxiolytic effect feels good on top of the high (if you're very careful dosing, of course), but it isn't potentiation, just poly-drug use.