• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

withdrawing from marijuana

eddi spgeddi

Bluelighter
after many years of heavy marijuana use i have started to experience the big downside of MJ addicton. i have been litterally unable to function. i always thought i was superman and hence nothing could harm me. But i was clearly wrong.
Anyway, 5 days ago i QUIT. I've only slept 3 or 4 2hour sleeps in five days... and not like im not tired, i just cant sleep. Ive been crying alot too... though i cant explain what that is... just futile tears of frustration and exhaustion.
So this morning i went to the naturopath, i have been presribed a couple of drugs to help.
1. Valerian Forte. (this i was familiar with)
2. Inkephalen.
the content of the inkephalen is as follows...
di-phenylalanine............400mg
glutamine...................25mg
tryptophan..................25mg
thiamine hydrochloride......50mg
pyrodoxine hydrochloride....5mg
zinc(as gluconate)..........3.5mg
magnesium(as oxide).........60mg
id be interseted if any medical or other professionals could inform me what this drug is... has it any side effects etc.
and apart from the obvious "on ya mate, hang in there," any pearls of wisdom that you think can help me.

Can't tell you what your meds are. But gather all the motivation you can an DO something. It makes the time pass quicker. Exercise will give you energy, distract you from any cravings that might occur and it will wear you out so you can sleep easier.

thankyou for your input...
the advice is priceless
[ 15 February 2002: Message edited by: eddi spgeddi ]

Well done for quitting! I don't think that list of side-effects above applies to your product - what was it for exactly? What you have is a combo of amino acids (the first 3 items) and vitamins/minerals in a blend that would probably be described as "stress relieving". There's nothing in there that will harm you in the right amounts - the phenylalanine is a precursor to the neurotransmitter dopamine; tryptophan is a preccursor to serotonin; glutamine is a precursor to GABA. You can find more about these on the www.
I have been right where you are now, and it does take a while to learn how to get to sleep again. Do a bit of reading on 'sleep hygiene' and relaxation methods. When you smoke all the time, you don't know how to relax any other way, and you need to re-learn it.
If you are really struggling, even with the herbal products, you could ask your Dr about a short-term course of a benzodiazepine to help you sleep (that would be better than starting to smoke again). Even a year or two later I still have trouble sleeping sometimes (usually when I know I have to get up early), and use a herbal product containing passionflower, lemon balm and kava kava occasionally.
The exercise is a great idea. Also, find other nice things you can do to distract yourself and relax: like reading, having a bath (or go for a spa), get a massage with the money you have already saved by not smoking, anything that makes you feel good.
The first week is the worst IME, and it will soon get easier. I wish you all the best :)

thankyou so much baby doc.
and i removed all that bullshit about the side effects, so as to not mislead people in similar circumstances.
i know im not alone, plenty of you having been down this road... and i know i will beat it... simply coz, while the cravings are rediculously strong... i dont want to smoke, it doesnt even feel good when i do.
ps. i love this community. i wish i knew all my friends here personally.

eddi: i forgot to say in a few weeks/months you are going to feel fantastic! I couldn't believe how different it was - like a massive fog was lifted. I started to enjoy food again (and gained a few kg - despite the munchies, pot seems to make you skinny). You feel like actually going out and doing things, instead of sitting on the couch. My concentration improved heaps. I realised that even though pot made me sleep easily, it wasn't good quality sleep and I'd feel hungover in the AM.
I have read claims that drinking cranberry juice helps you detox from pot (have no idea if this is true though). Certainly drinking plenty of water will help (but I know the naturopath would have told you that). I had severe acne after I quit, so watch out for that :(
After a decent break, your tolerance for pot will be so low that even if you do smoke you probably won't enjoy it. Go man go!
[ 16 February 2002: Message edited by: babydoc_vic ]

Have u tried with melatonin to sleep? maybe it could help, but i thik that the best is to let the the body work by himselfd

I quit using marijuana for a period of time several months back after about one year of moderate use followed by another year of heavy use (1-4 times a day). I know it's not much compared to some people, but I thought my input might help.
When I quite I was very much on edge for about two weeks - I was not a pleasent person to be around. I also had trouble getting to sleep for about a week after I stopped, but after I fell asleep I usually slept through the night.
The best advice I can give you is to exercise. Whenever I started feeling shitty, I would go for a run or play tennis, or do anything active. Even if you're already tired, do it - it'll help a lot with the sleep too. If that doesn't work, the benzodiazapene's that someone else recommended might be a good idea too.
Hope this helps, and congrats on holding to your commitment to quit.

good luck on quiting
My advice is, i was a heavy user in High school, then i quit cold turkey for 2 years...all that hapened was i stoped zoning out.I was good with my sleep and no withdrawls. I had more energy.
I aslo stared back up , worse then ever, but that was by choice and i feel fine. Now its moterate. But i never felt any hangovers or anything of that sort.

Marijuana's bad mmmkay!
After quitting weed for 2 weeks after smoking heavily for years, since 1995 in fact, i've had my first stumble. However, even though i smoked which i wasn't supposed to do, i still choose to call this a victory of sorts- i'll explain... mmm... now! First i blame shitloads of nitrous, some pill and VB for putting me in such a state that i just didn't care about whether i'd smoke. After the first bong- nothing. After the second bong i was reduced to a dribbling retard- couldn't think, couldn't move, just couldn't! Luckily i still had one more bulb which brought me out of the void of estonia, and it made me realise exactly why i had quit. Even after 2 weeks i was still craving weed (although the nasty withdrawal effects had subsided after about 4 days), but after last nights episode it's gone. The muthafuck weed beast is dead- HOORAY- it's finally dead! Take that you rasta beearch! I now know that i will never touch weed again. One small defeat has turned into one giant victory for my body & soul :)
As that PCP smoking fool James Brown says "i feel good :) "

I feel for anyone trying to quit weed. I wish I could find the asshole who first started saying "Weed isn't addictive! It may be psychologically addictive, but not physically addictive!" and give him a good cock-punching. I think that psychological addictions are much, much worse than physical ones. Quitting smoking (tobacco) is supposed to be one of the hardest addictions to break. Pffft....quitting smoking was a walk in the park compared to my current attempt to quit weed.
I have no reason to smoke weed anymore; when I do, the bad effects far outweigh the good ones. I'll feel good for like 5 minutes, but then get insanely paranoid and "down," then wonder why I smoked in the first place. You'd think that would be enough to make me want to quit, but yet I am still drawn to ol' Mary. On the plus side, I no longer buy it myself, I always wait for other ppl to buy it...

If you can quit for a month, you will probably be able to quit for good (if you want to). After a few weeks, you start to forget about it. Assuming you don't hang around pot heads all day long those first few weeks, you will eventually be able to turn down a blunt when it comes your way.
I had to quit since I got arrested for alcohol poss. a few months ago (random drug tests to clear my record). I barely think about it anymore. I doubt that I will ever go back to being a regular user. At most, I might would smoke some crystally buds if someone offers a bowl to me for free.
I can't believe how much money I used to spend on bud (last summer $600-$800)...
And look on the bright side: its not nearly as hard as quitting cigarettes.

Over xmas break I smoked every few days...then I got back to school and the first week of any semester is usually very laid back and you can go out and party or whatever like every day of the week...so I smoked like every single day that week, maybe even the first two weeks...then if i went like a day or two without doing it and I just felt really depressed and shit all the time, however other things were on my mind too, but still I usually wouldn't let it bother me that much but it did...then I'd smoke and feel really good, and once it was over I would wonder why I did it...it sucked, but I am better at controlling it now...I totally agree with you though DJWhat about the addiction thing...

thanx guys, im going strong.
yep, i hang around pot smokers constantly. but thats fine, itll always be the case.
i started smoking pot in 1983, it didnt pick up pace till around 1990, i'd virtually not missed a day since 1995. i have the lungs of a 80 yr old...(couldnt run to my front door without feeling faint!) do you think they'll repair themselves, or does anyone know anything that may help the process of tissue repair?
im sleeping allright already, except i wake up in sweat and have really bizaar dreams(wake evry couple of hours laughing). ill write one down tonight and post it here tomorrow.
cheers.
spgeddi out

eddi: I also had breathing problems (mild asthma, severe bronchitis in winter) when I smoked, they cleared COMPLETELY a while after quitting. I don't think you should need anything to aid the process. Assuming you don't smoke cigs, soon your cilia in your lungs will start working properly and you will start coughing up nasties - don't be alarmed, this is a good sign!
The night sweats and weird dreams are apparently common on quitting - I got them too. Feel free to email me if you want some support :)

Although I still occasionally smoke pot, I've quit numerous times from weeks to months...whenever i felt i was overdoing it.
Anyway, in regards to the cranberry juice comment I believe it is thought to work because it is a diuretic. The best advice I can give, which has been given, is to exercise. Set up a program. Go to the gym 3-4 times a week, run everyday, etc. You need to do lots of physical activity. Not only will this increase your energy, it will help detox your body, and make sleep MUCH easier to come by.

two weeks now and going strong...
thanx again to all those constructive comments.
im not up for exercise yet(though i do play tennis once a week), and my sleep is still poor...
im going to try the melatonin capsules wednesday after tennis with my oestiopath friend, he has some at home.
my chest is very heavy and flemmy, yukky dark globby stuff coming up in the mornings.

props for going that long, i usually quit once a year for a month or so, and i find that tapering off, and eventually just smoking at night to sleep, to finnailly not smokiing is a bit easier on the head.... if you just take away the THC your body will be mad at you!

I give you all the props in the world for quitting. you had a lot of gutss if only you can keep in up unlike me.
I igree with what themagicbeansaid about doing sumthing to take your mind off of it. It will work. Whats your fave hobbie. Do what you liek to do to have fun(besides smoking weed). Me for example: I ride horses and compete in Show jumping shows. I love to ride horses. My other past time is to paint and make phat hempies(hemp necklaces). Well i wish you the best of luck!