Bluelight

Thread: Possible Alternative Treatments for ADHD?

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Collapse Details
    Possible Alternative Treatments for ADHD? 
    #1
    Greenlighter ThisOldMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    4
    Bluelight
    I've learned that this forum has some very clever and well-informed members, and I am just at my wit's end, I need some help please.
    Over the years, I have been researching and experimenting to find some type of legal alternative to stimulant ADHD medication. For years now, I have tried to find something that helps me with my ADHD symptoms, but I have been unable to find any OTC alternatives. I have been to the doctors but they all just write me off as a drug-seeker, so I have abandoned that option. I do not even want a med for its recreational potential. A few years ago, I was on ritalin for about a year(10mg 3x/day), but I didn't find that it was helping at all, so I just asked the doc to discontinue the treatment, and he did. NOT EVEN ONE TIME did I attempt to abuse the ritalin. My doc didn't want to take the step up to amphetamines, so I was forced to go back to my own personal searching for an alternative.

    I have tried everything that is touted to have cognition-enhancing or stimulant effects.
    I've tried:
    gingko biloba
    guarana
    some of the racetams, including: prami, oxi, and ani
    choline supplements, including: alpha-gpc, dmae, soy lecithin
    omega-3 Fatty acids
    L-tyrosine
    L-dopa
    B-vitamins
    multivitamins
    kratom
    St.John's wort
    Bacopa
    Gotu-kola
    panax ginseng
    huperzine A
    theobromine
    nicotine
    ephedrine
    Phosphatidylserine
    Venlafaxine
    (only sporadic use)
    Bupropion (both sporadic and currently trying everyday use)
    Centrophenoxine
    Sulbutiamine
    Phenibut
    Picamilon
    Adrafinil
    Phenethylamine

    and ungodly amounts of caffeine

    but they're ALL WORTHLESS, at least in terms of helping with ADHD symptoms, and I'm probably even forgetting to include some others on that list.
    I've tried all sorts of combinations of the above listed "supplements". Some of the combos were noteworthy, but nothing that would help ADHD. And haha, I've even gotten into some hairy situations when combining some of the stimulants, but no-worries I always kept track of my Blood Pressure and Heart Rate, and I kept an emergency stash of benzos and beta-blockers. And, I also made sure to be well-informed of the risks before trying a new "experiment", and I always made sure to start small and work my way up. However, My previous experiments are not why I'm writing this, I'm writing so I can stop experimenting.

    The only things that I've ever found that actually helped were adderall and vyvance(not at the same time), but these are no longer available to me. I was only able to get my hands on these a handful of times, and I've kept the doses as low as possible. These amphetamines were great, they were everything I hoped for and even better.

    So anyway, the ADHD symptoms that I speak of include: inattentiveness, extreme distractibility, and low motivation(which has deteriorated into a complete lack of motivation). I also suffer from mental-fatigue and general lethargy along with the other classic symptoms of ADHD-Predominantly Inattentive type. I have been suffering from these symptoms for as long as I can remember, the symptoms have morphed a bit since childhood but they haven't gone away.
    I am currently being treated for depression, I've been on Bupropion(wellbutrin) for the past 5 weeks. I am only noticing very mild improvements from the wellbutrin(150mg/day). The improvements provided by the wellbutrin are on par with placebo-level effects, which actually now seem to be dissipating (-_-) . Tomorrow I am going to begin taking 300mg of wellbutrin per day. I am hopeful for the wellbutrin to begin helping with the depression at least, but wellbutrin seems to be a futile approach for treating ADHD. I also have some anxiety, and I strongly believe my depression and anxiety are direct results from being forced to deal with the ADHD for my entire life without any sympathy from medical professionals(nor my family) even after several cries for help. I'm almost to the point of complete despondency.

    Now I'm just lost and desperate, I just need something to help me get through these last few weeks of school and hopefully the summer-term. I am at a community college working towards an Associate’s degree. I would have dropped out of school long ago, I didn't because my family and friends would view that as unacceptable because they claim that "You’re [I'm] too smart to drop out"; I on the other hand, disagree with their claims. If I were so smart, then why would a smart person be in school for 5years now without so much as an Associate’s degree to show for it.
    And now since I've tried everything that I felt comfortable getting my hands on, my only options left are research chemicals(2fma), or street methamphetamine.
    Despite the Research Chemicals being legal(questionable), they are proving to be much harder to acquire than expected. I can acquire some meth fairly easily, but I'm reluctant for obvious reasons.

    So, before I take the plunge into the "serious stuff" or drop-out of college to live as a drifter, I would like to ask for any advice or suggestions on what some other people may have done to treat ADHD without the help of prescription medication? Is there anything out there that is legal and safe that could help, because I've been trying to go without treatment and it's proving to be unfeasible?

    Thanks for reading and sorry about the length of the post. And Thank you very much for any suggestions or advice.
    -- an old man--



    Here's some info about me
    23yr old male. 160lbs(72.6kgs). 5'11"(180cm). exercise 1-3x /week. I eat a healthy well-balanced diet, no junk-food(not even soda). don't smoke(anymore). no alcohol
     

  2. Collapse Details
     
    #2
    homeless > mental health
     

  3. Collapse Details
     
    #3
    Ex-Bluelighter
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    8,193
    In all honesty it just sounds as though your physician was not properly trained in treating ADHD. Doses of stimulant medication need to be titrated to your need. A physician trained properly would know this. It doesn't sound like you have been on any one med long enough to know if has any chance of working well for you. Seems like you change up often. Ask for a referral to another physician. That is what I would do. Aside from that I got nothing for ADD that is over the counter. Maybe someone else will.
     

  4. Collapse Details
     
    #4
    Senior Moderator
    Recovery Support
    Drug Studies
    herbavore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    in a dream
    Posts
    14,654
    I say this in every thread about ADD so those that have already heard my spiel can stop reading here.

    I have ADD. It has definitely impacted my life in every way. Some of the impact has been good and some very bad. I don't want to be medicated because that will give me a whole host of other problems that compound the problems of ADD--like the depression caused by the comedown. Everything you mentioned as symptoms sounds like it could be as much depression as ADD.

    As far as getting through school--have you gone to the counselors with a diagnosis? If so, they should be able to make some adjustments in how assignments are completed, time for tests, etc. Lots of people use resources like this to get through school. Have you taken a study skills/time management class? It can really help.
     

  5. Collapse Details
     
    #5
    Ex-Bluelighter
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    On my side of the road ;)
    Posts
    234
    Does starttera help u?
     

  6. Collapse Details
     
    #6
    Bluelighter flyhighk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    3,114
    DMAA may help you. I haven't tried it, I'm just guessing that it should work, as it is a stimulant.
     

  7. Collapse Details
     
    #7
    Greenlighter ThisOldMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurseebol View Post
    It doesn't sound like you have been on any one med long enough to know if has any chance of working well for you. Seems like you change up often. Ask for a referral to another physician
    Thanks for the reply,

    I was on ritalin for a year. It’s the only treatment I’ve ever had for adhd. I decided to take a break from the Ritalin because it wasn’t really working at all. Then, when I returned to the doctor’s office to start back up on the Ritalin, I learned that the doctor moved away, so they gave me a replacement doc. However, the replacement doctor “didn’t feel comfortable prescribing a controlled substance.” So, I tried two other doctors and the two other doctors told me pretty much the exact same thing that the replacement doctor told me.
    So, I’m reluctant to try any other docs because all doctors seem to have the same reaction: they think that I’m simply trying to score drugs. They think that I’m fabricating everything I tell them.

    Quote Originally Posted by herbavore View Post
    Everything you mentioned as symptoms sounds like it could be as much depression as ADD.
    I understand your point, but I’m fairly certain that it’s ADD, because I’ve had these struggles my entire life. However, my current depression is making it worse, to the point where it is now unmanageable.

    Quote Originally Posted by herbavore View Post
    As far as getting through school--have you gone to the counselors with a diagnosis?
    That’s another thing, I’ve never been able to get a concrete diagnosis. None of the doctors will even give me the time of day, including my current mental health psychiatrist. My current mental health psychiatrist won’t even try to diagnose me, she keeps insisting that I have schizophrenia or psychosis or bipolar or something, because all she want to prescribe is either an anti-psychotic or an ssri. I’ve tried her route(prescription for an anti-psychotic: abilify) and after I took just one pill it literally made all of my symptoms worse for three days(abilify has a 75hr half-life), so that pretty much ruled out whatever condition she thought I had. I tried telling her its ADD but she won't even consider it, oh well w/e


    Quote Originally Posted by flyhighk View Post
    DMAA may help you. I haven't tried it, I'm just guessing that it should work, as it is a stimulant.
    I will search for a good DMAA vendor. I’ve tried searching for DMAA in the past, but all the supplements that I found were combined with many other worthless “weight loss” ingredients. I will try searching more thoroughly for a vendor that sell dmaa without added ingredients.

    p.s. haha, I'm not actually a drifter(homeless), that was just a joke lol
     

  8. Collapse Details
     
    #8
    DMAA is too short acting. Adderall is too expensive.
    Best option is <snip>
    Last edited by aq.; 27-05-2014 at 06:53. Reason: snip
     

  9. Collapse Details
     
    #9
    Greenlighter ThisOldMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    at my computer
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bsaibot View Post
    DMAA is too short acting. Adderall is too expensive.
    Best option <snip>.
    hmm... Eureka! That's a great idea. I can't believe I haven't thought of that before. All my troubles are solved
    .......if only I could find some that snip stuff you mentioned

    lol I saw the post before it was snipped. Why was that post edited? Is it because the mods thought it would've been taken seriously?



    I ordered some dmaa today. I've tried internet searches and found conflicting claims; does anybody have any info on the efficacy of DMAA in aiding concentration and attention? anecdotes are welcomed
     

  10. Collapse Details
     
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisOldMan View Post
    hmm... Eureka! That's a great idea. I can't believe I haven't thought of that before. All my troubles are solved
    .......if only I could find some that snip stuff you mentioned

    lol I saw the post before it was snipped. Why was that post edited? Is it because the mods thought it would've been taken seriously?
    Because it violated the Mental Health forum guidelines.

    Specific Guidelines for Posting in the Mental Health Forum:

    Never advise anyone to start, alter the dosage or abruptly stop a medication. Abruptly stopping or inadequately tapering a medication can have disastrous effects.

    Never advise the use of legal or illegal drugs to self-medicate. Self-medication can lead to larger problems when not regulated by a knowledgeable practitioner.

    When sharing personal experiences, opinions or anecdotal information regarding medications or treatments it is important that readers understand that what you are saying is your own valid perspective but not necessarily objective fact.

    Always remember that people may be vulnerable or in crisis. When posting advice, it is good practice to stress that the person also seek professional help in addition to the support of Bluelight.

    Rude or abusive posts will not be tolerated. Mental health diagnosis and treatment is very controversial. It is a complex subject that we all feel very passionate about for extremely personal reasons. Always keep in mind that the goal of discussion and debate is to expand knowledge, not to contract it.
    That being said, we're going to have to close this thread. Please seek a second opinion from a doctor who is properly trained in ADHD/ADD. Let them know what you've tried and what has not worked for you.
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •