• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Everything you could want to know about VIVITROL

So the naltrexone stopped the alcohol buzz eh interesting. Many have told me naloxone/naltrexone has no medical reason to affect the buzz from alcohol.

I wouldn't get the shot everyone I know trys to break through it cause the naltrexone doesn't curb the cravings whatsoever like suboxone does so whats the point the only people who take it are the ones who's parents or spouse is making then get it to be sure they won't be getting high then the addict trys his best to still get high meaning nothings changed.

Not for me sounds like hell to tell you the truth wanting or get high so bad but you just can't do enough drugs to even feel anything so you keep trying and trying.
Suboxone changed my life for the better I can take this daily and not do ANY heroin don't try to break through it cause it leaves me content

I would rather live putting an opiate like Suboxone in my body daily instead of doing vivatrol and still be doing heroin whenever I get a chance to.
I got savings now I'm not living paycheck to paycheck no more and even though I have all this money in the bank I'm not spending ANY of it on heroin anymore just cannabis which is a big change compared to a year ago when I would have spent every last dime of it getting high and then some.

Have fun kicking those subs down the line! Worse than h basically.

Ok, so I was motivated 5 minutes ago to write a post on everything anyone could ever want to know about Vivitrol (extended-release naltrexone), but that is completely gone. I will just give a brief summary and if anyone has specific questions I can try my best to answer them. I have been doing opiates daily for 5 years (2 years oxys and 3 years heroin). I have tried to quit over 1000 times and nothing ever worked. I got on Vivitrol 9 months ago and it has done a complete 360 for my life. In order to get on Vivitrol, you need to pass a urine test for all opiates including suboxone, the company recommends 7-10 clean. When I received my first shot I was only 5 days clean and did not have any adverse reactions to the injection. If anything it made me feel a little better. Over the past 9 months I have tested the efficiency of this shot countless times, the same day as the shot, the day after, a week after, 2 weeks after, 3 weeks after, 7 weeks after (was on vacation and missed my scheduled one). I can tell you that it takes about 12 hours for the shot to take full effect, therefore if you use on the same day you get it, you can still feel about 25-50% of the high, nothing special though. Anytime after those 12 hours, you can do as many bags as you want (OD is still possible from a toxic amount of drugs in your system) and absolutely NOTHING will happen until about day 17. And even at day 17 you are still only feeling about 25-50% of the high that you should. Around day 24 you can start feeling about 75% of your high, but if you are on the shot correctly, once every 28 days, by that time you wouldn't be clean for your next shot. Now I know this is a harm reduction forum and I don't want to encourage this at all, but I have used from days 17-27 (12 hours before my next shot), and did not go into severe withdrawals, but it did initiate mild withdrawals, I still went to work right after and "survived". I have also used from days 24-27 and had no ill affect whatsoever from receiving my injection. Now, the times I have used within 24 hours of my next injection, I had already been on Vivitrol for months and am sure that it was still blocking almost half my receptors and that is why I did not go into severe withdrawals. If you used that close to your very first injection, I believe the outcome would be very different and very unpleasant. After receiving the injection, I can usually feel like a mini golfball size bump in my muscle and it is uncomfortable for 3-7 days, not painful just not very comfortable in certain positions. I'm sure I have more to say about vivitrol but just can't of it right off the top of my head right now, so if anyone has specific questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

I forgot, I have also tried drinking several times which isn't really fun until about day 17-21. If you drink before then, you just lose interest and motivation after a beer or two, and if you do power through and keep drinking, it is an uncomfortable "buzz" that doesn't provide any euphoria or numbness, just loss of motor skills and whatnot. But after day 21, drinking feels pretty normal.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, when I used 7 weeks after my shot, I OD'ed for the first time ever off of only half a bag of ECP, when I normally use around 2 bags at a time. Naltrexone can help reduce tolerance and with the long time period off, one is very susceptible to OD, so please be careful. I was luckily with someone who called 911 and I had to be Narcan twice, off HALF a bag.

Great info thank you they should have info like this on the shot's website for safety purposes since most junkies still gunna slip while on the shot (shot allows a gradual removal of cravings even if the junkie uses inbetween shots because he will stop eventually. Getting high once here and there gets lame eventually and the waiting period sucks so the junkie just gives in eventually and abley since the usage is not every single day and not re-creating the phenomena of day by day or even hour by hour fixation cravings. Makes it a whole lot easier to work your program when u only slip a couple times a month and basically experience no withdrawals. Using in between shots for however long with create a gap from the minds cycle of using every day making exponentially easie to give it up months down the road. I got the shot 2 days ago (and was excited to get pricked since I'm a junkie and had been away at a detox for weeks). Havnt got a good nights sleep still at 14 days clean (3rd day on shot) so i might shoot a little just to see if it will put me out (shot crystal a couple times earlier cause I'm a fiend but only enjoyed the first shot and not even really without the heroin mix so I just gave up on trying to use some tweak to take the edge off and if I can get a nights sleep w/ or w/o a little h I will be content on the vivitrol till my first window to use for euphoric effects. I want to believe I wont attempt so inbetween shot 1 and 2 but I know it will probably happen. My goal is to be over the once or twice usage a month by a few months in and then just be straight working my program. (I sometimes smoke pot and play video games if I get cravy and it usually helps)

Been trying to get clean from IV opiates (OC to H) for pretty much all my adult life now (5/6 years). Scariest part is being an adult for the first time without any active opiates and sticking it out since that is foriegn to me! Wish me luck and thanks again!
- Proud Addict

If i take percs will i feel good or withdrawal cuz of the vivitrol shot.....im on day 14 and this weekend i got drunk with beer? Pissed alot but hydrated myself right away.......so i feel like if beer gave me a buzz i can maybe get one off percs?

Probably neither.

People don't feel heroin after only 14 days, feeling percs is highly unlikely.

Save them.

Best advice--as in jail, time goes much much faster when you're not counting the days....

Thanks for the quick reply.......this sucks i really wanted to feel high. I got benzos but they only put me to sleep. I want to feel euphoria

The moral of OP's story is this; Life is to short to waste in some bullshit rehab, or being forcefully administered opiate blockers....Learn to keep your addictions private, folks!!! Like all the normal people in the world do....dig it or kick it...but don't let the man trick ya!

You can not keep your addiction private wen your married? My girl knows wen im not trying to fuck her every 5 mins she knows im on something?

Has anyone heard of using tramadol while on vivitrol shot can get u high......

Can u get addicted to H while on vivitrol.....i used day 28...29....30...and day 31

So I know this post is kind of old but I'm going to take a shot anyways. So I'm on methadone treatment and am planning on tapering off soon. I have heard from friends and read in many places that after the initial withdrawal you continue to feel sick for weeks or even months after.

If I were to taper down off methadone and become clean for ten days and then get a vivitrol shot, would it allieaviate the symptoms of sickness that you can feel even after the drug is completely out of my system?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! The reason I ask is because a major reason people fail in the taper/quitting of methadone and suboxone is because of the extended withdrawal symptoms. If people were able to take the shot and help with the symptoms that is def something I would be interested in.

Thanks
dave

Last edited:
So I have been on vivitrol 5 months now. Before my first shot I was smoking around 4 days before the shot and I was ok. This was everyday use for like maybe 3 days. month 4 I tried drinking some codene caugh syrup on day 28, felt nothing. Now it's month 5, tried smoking and shooting like day 33 approximately and felt like maybe 10% of the high, or maybe it was just placebo effect I'm not sure. But I waited 6 more days and tried shooting again and I felt like almost 100% of high, I started w about .1, felt it right away (smoking it wasn't really doing much), then I did another .1, and then about .2 shot. I did it like this because I know is dangerous to tu to override vivitrol and I knew my tolerance would be way lower after being clean for 5 months. I didn't get like a knod or that feeling where you can't even keep your eyes open, but definitely felt high, euphoric, little bit of pins and needles, and felt the rush. It was pleasant I gotta say. But now I'm supposed to get another vivitrol shot (because I'm way over due and everyone's freaking out). Tonight at 11pm it will have been 24 hours since I used. Do you think I'll be ok to get my vivitrol shot tomorrow? I could try to put it off till around 2pm when it will have been 38 hours.. Maybe it will be ok since I only used once? And it was only .4? Anyone have any experience w this? I'm 24, female, 140lbs if that helps. Also it been drinking lots of water and taking adderall because I know that speeds ur metabolism, possibly helps get drugs out faster. Anyone have advice? :/

So I have been on vivitrol 5 months now. Before my first shot I was smoking around 4 days before the shot and I was ok. This was everyday use for like maybe 3 days. month 4 I tried drinking some codene caugh syrup on day 28, felt nothing. Now it's month 5, tried smoking and shooting like day 33 approximately and felt like maybe 10% of the high, or maybe it was just placebo effect I'm not sure. But I waited 6 more days and tried shooting again and I felt like almost 100% of high, I started w about .1, felt it right away (smoking it wasn't really doing much), then I did another .1, and then about .2 shot. I did it like this because I know is dangerous to tu to override vivitrol and I knew my tolerance would be way lower after being clean for 5 months. I didn't get like a knod or that feeling where you can't even keep your eyes open, but definitely felt high, euphoric, little bit of pins and needles, and felt the rush. It was pleasant I gotta say. But now I'm supposed to get another vivitrol shot (because I'm way over due and everyone's freaking out). Tonight at 11pm it will have been 24 hours since I used. Do you think I'll be ok to get my vivitrol shot tomorrow? I could try to put it off till around 2pm when it will have been 38 hours.. Maybe it will be ok since I only used once? And it was only .4? Anyone have any experience w this? I'm 24, female, 140lbs if that helps. Also it been drinking lots of water and taking adderall because I know that speeds ur metabolism, possibly helps get drugs out faster. Anyone have advice? :/
How did it go?? I have only 4 days in clean and I get mine today! Did u get sick from the shot??

My friend is getting the shot today. Alll I can say is water etc is not getting out of your system quicker. It's an injection.It is meant to stay in. Although it's sad when people wanna screw themselves up before it even wears off.

Very imformative post, thank you. I've been trolling these Vivitrol forums for the past month (It is currently Sept. 15, 2016) looking for any insight into different people's experiences with this drug. What I found varied widely from person to person as others have remarked. Now being on day 30 from my last shot I'd like to give back and share my experiences with the drug known as Naltrexone.

Bio: 25 year old male, 225lbs, 6'1". Have used both IN and IV Diamorphine HCL (#4 Heroin) since mid-'14, on and off, rehabs etc. you get the picture...

So anyway, The first time I got the shot was in the fall of 2014 (yes, I know, I slide very quickly lol) Got the shot and had the usual suspect side effects; feeling "off", lethargy, loss of appetite, abdominal pain/cramps, injection site pain and swelling, and loss of pleasure from normal, everyday activities. The last one is probably the worst though. Never tried to break through this first time, waited the full 30 days, and on day 31, promptly scored a bag. Sniffed and At least 95% of the effects were present.

Fast forward to Summer 2016. I have now upgraded to IV. probably doing at least a gram a day. Rehab, home, one shot, two shot. tried breaking through from 14 days in, but to no avail. continued every week until day 28, bought a rig, shot up a .1 maybe .2. No euphoria, although CNS depression was recognizable. Now on day 30. Just SNIFFED half a .1, yes HALF, and got decent euphoric effects.

From this, and everyone is different mind you, I've learned that Vivitrol will hang on for dear life the full 30 days, then it's like it runs out of steam all at once. One would think it would slowly decline but not in my experience. Also, the lump in my ass stayed present until day 28, then it too started to very rapidly disappear, and now on day 30 If I wasn't looking for it or knew it was there I doubt I'd find it. granted I DO know what i'm looking for so I can still feel it, but it seems like everyday from here on out is all down hill.

Thank you again everybody who shared their experiences with Naltrexone.

For those still on countdown, my advice is to forget about it, wait the full 30, and if you still want to get high, do your thing.

Have fun, and most importantly...!STAY SAFE!

Hi I am on vivitrol. I tried getting high on day 14, 18, 22, & 23. I know you can die I only tried a little bit and I was not alone. My question is when will I be able to get high again? I want to cont getting the shot but I have an obsession in my head to get high one more time. So can anyone tell me when it will wear off? I heard some people say 35-40 days! I know they recommend every 28 days to get another shot and the website says it can be detected up to a month soo what's everyone's experience?

Ok I tried last night say 25 and felt maybe 15%. It's not worth it. People are dying Left and right around here. I just want my one last high so I can put this all behind me. I have an obession and one last high for some reason. I want to get the shot again but I didn't schedule it till October 8. I don't want to start a new post so hopefully someone responds.

Last edited:
It's pointless to even try to get high until atleast day 35 but that's just my opinion, I've been on the shot awhile now, it's saved my life besides for some reason it's always the first 3 days after getting the shot I feel sick, anyway dose anyone know much about how vivitrol can be bad for your liver?

You can probably get high

I've been on the shot for almost a year with the exception of missing two months. I just tried breaking through for the first time. It was day 17 or 18 and a half g of good tar (I'm in Texas) smoked the entire thing and felt like maybe I had used a $5 cap. Slightly heavy eyes, maybe placebo after smoking the entire thing. Pretty awful waste- however, Two days later I just smoked $20 and feel probably 50% of the effect. I think I maybe expanded some recently dormant receptors when I tried overpowering the viv a couple days ago. Experience now on day 19/20 is not amazing, but certainly not a total waste.

In the past I have used on day 28/30 and had full or close to full effects, probably in part to reduced tolerance making up for the difference of whatever was blocked.

Be safe trying this!

The shot helps if you want it to. If you don't want to get clean then it might not be a good option, but no one in active addiction wants to..really..but for me, it helped me get over the hurdle. I know realize how much money and energy went into getting high everyday. I, like everyone else, tried every way to quit. I couldn't go to enough meetings, and began to resent those. I tried switching to other drugs, which is dumb because we all know what the best one is.

As far as cravings go...it took mine away. Anyone that says otherwise then I'd like to hear their story. Sure there's days or moments that I fantasize about using. From time to time will still have dreams about it. But cravings...give me a break. It ain't shit compared to when you're using, plus the notion that if you use you'll more than likely just be wasting money is also helpful. Month 2, about day 25 into my 2nd shot, I was at a wedding. A lot of old friends. I tried drinking...felt nothing. Completely normal. Tried using a pain pill, 40mg Opana, nothing.

So now I've come to the understanding that I'm not going to do opiates and I'm not going to drink. I will smoke a little weed on the weekends, and maybe a little cocaine if I'm at a concert. Might seem backwards, "Vivitrol is for to get sober!" They said, but for me, like others have said my life is better without opiates and for me personally my addiction isn't going to transfer into another. But that's me, for now, who knows if that could change.

I was using heroin for 5 days straight after 19 days on my first vivitrol shot and was able to get really high, I was using about a bundle a day for the 5 days, I have a fast metabolism and was using really good stuff, I knew my vivitrol shot was scheduled in 4 days after my 5 day binge and I had to get it to keep from losing my family. I really didn't want to get sick so I bought a suboxone and split it in half and took half one day and half the other day. So I was only free from opiates for one day because my shot was scheduled early in the morning the next day, I was so nervous about taking the shot and going through precipitated withdrawal, I took the shot after only being clean for 1 day and never had any ill effects from the shot...