• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Everything you could want to know about VIVITROL

So I was on Vivitrol for 8 months and it has now been 80 or 81 days since my last shot. I began trying to use Oxycodone IR (intranasal) around day 35 as most of what I've read has said at 35 days they can feel most of the high and euphoria. I got absolutely nothing. I had read one account of having to wait 64 days before feeling any good effects so I wasn't too worried. I started trying every few days and at about day 42 I started getting very delayed slight effects, basically some slight euphoria feeling, talkative, mood elevation, but not any rush and any effects took over 2 hours to be noticed. Since then I've been able to feel more pronounced effects sometimes, and less others. Once or twice, around days 65-70 I felt a small bit of the initial rush from snorting but it was short lived and would go away withing 10-20 minutes. Then some of the euphoria and upper feeling of the oxy might kick in between 1-3 hours after dosing. Since day 32 and now around day 80 I have gone from trying 20mg up to 60-70mg at a time. I definitely have been building a tolerance and do get some withdrawal if I don't dose. But, even at 80-81 days, I still cannot get the real stomach punch rush euphoria, the good body buzz or the lasting happy feeling. I get a small kick around 10 minutes, get tired feeling, and then after 1-3 hours still the effects slowly build and last about 6 hours. I definitely feel some opiate "up" effects but it's different every time, and I never get the real initial rush. Basically, there are obvious good effects missing and the moderate euphoria and uppy feeling is mixed with all of the negative effects of the oxy (some anxiety, sweating, pinned pupils, agitation). I know that the reports from most people getting high after Vivitrol is regards to heroin but at 80 days I feel like even oxy should be at full effect. Because of how long I was on the shot I had to find a new source so at first I was a little concerned that maybe I wasn't getting legit pills (even though they look perfect and no other reason to suspect) so I did a laboratory ms/gc test and came back for the expected oxycodone/oxymorphone and nothing else. I am trying to find a lab that will test me for naltrexone to see if it's really possibly still being released from my ass muscle but no luck as of yet.

I'm not sure if I'm going to find anyone here with the same story or advice, but figured it's worth a try to just post my experience. Maybe someone knows more than I can find in my Google research. I am hoping that I'm still releasing smaller amounts of naltrexone daily and that I haven't "broken" my receptors permanently and this is as good as it will get now. I also can't find any health reasons (besides naltrexone) that would result in problems in my body processing opiods. If you made it through my whole rant thanks for reading and I welcome any comments or ideas even if you don't share my experience. I am very new to posting here so hopefully this is alright.

so i was forced to take naltroxone pills through the court system and i was totally against taking it but was forced by our horrible unjust joke of a legal system and it made me break out in hives all over my body i think its horrible!! anything that makes you get violently ill when you consume alcohal or doing mass amounts of drugs to feel the effects and end up overdosing is more dangerous and stupid than the drug it self!!! i hate to say it america is sooooo foul and corrupt and hideous lets take drug addicts and get them hooked to usually more addicting drugs with worse withdrawals. i would'nt recommend naltroxone as u can see tfield88 is still a junkie naltroxone has'nt helped, cured, took cravings away its just another form of control from our wonderful government!!!

anything that makes you get violently ill when you consume alcohal or doing mass amounts of drugs to feel the effects and end up overdosing is more dangerous and stupid than the drug it self!!!

Are you sure you're not confusing Antabuse with naltrexone? Nal doesn't make you violently ill when you consume alcohol. I've been drunk as shit on nal. My experience has been there was no difference between a naltrexone drunk and a regular drunk.

aihfl i was definatley on naltroxone i don't have first hand experience with drinking on it because i was in rehab when they made me take it but my judge and probation officer must have just fed us lies to scare us obviously!!!! sorry for the misinformation!!!!!

Nal has made me violently ill as well, but not when I've been drinking on it. I was told it suppresses craving. I was jonesing for a drink badly before work one day and took one, and I became ill like I was in opiate withdrawal. Anyway, I have a script for it, but I don't take it because it doesn't seem to make any difference one way or another. It doesn't prevent craving and for me, it doesn't do anything about my alcohol buzz. Supposedly it's supposed to take away the euphoria of a drunk, but it didn't for me.

I'm wondering how long it will take someone to get high off oxy or oxymorphone after their first vivitrol shot. I see a lot about h. But not too much about the others.

I'm About to get my 4th shot but I will be just a little under 5 days clean...do you think I'll go into withdrawls?

I guess it all depends on how long you've been taking them and how much. Were you able to feel anything while on the shot? Just got my second last week and 40 days clean today. Haven't tried anything because I don't think it'll do anything. Although I've def thought about it

i have my injection 4 days from now had been clean bout 4 days im sooo upset i used but i was sooooo sick can i still get shot i really was tying to get clean i need sum advice should i just give up

Wouldn't it be a complete 180? I would assume 360 means you are facing the same direction.

should someone take vivitrol after 5 months clean?

If someone is clean for 5 months, cold turkey, and currently only has occasional cravings, is it a bad idea to start Vivitrol? He's coming out of a long term rehab and says he feels fine, and when I mentioned the naltrexone monthly shot he can get he said he wanted to do it. I think it is a good idea, but also wonder if it could have a reverse affect and he might start having heavier cravings closer to the time the shot starts to wear off and the next one is due.

He has quit for a month or more cold turkey in the past, but never this long. I have hope the shot would give him a stronger chance of staying clean. But I don't know enough about it. What do you all think? If you can recommend places to look for answers that are not just anecdotal, that would be helpful. Thank you.

Sorry I know this is a really old thread but when you overdosed 7 weeks after the shot was it the first time you used in a while or had you been using fairly regularly and then the naltrexone levels dropped making your tolerance to drop and causing the overdose?

Is it possible that naltrexone permanently blocks receptors? Im 3 months off it and its still blocked opiates, i get no effect. pretty worried

Its been 36 days since i have gotten a vivitrol shot i just tried to take 60 mgs of oxy snorted and didnt feel anything......how long do i have to wait to feel something?

Its been 36 days since i have gotten a vivitrol shot i just tried to take 60 mgs of oxy snorted and didnt feel anything......how long do i have to wait to feel something?
That's fucked up right there! Damn man I feel bad for u guys that try to catch a buzz after this shit, it's gotta be psychological torture.

It shouldn't be permanent by any means. Everyone's body chemistry is different.

I've been on the Vivitrol injection for 6 months and decided to test it awhile back. It had been 22 days since my last injection and 30mg of oxycodone worked just fine (normal dose was 120mg).

@showercurtain the reason it's so easy to OD after stopping Vivitrol is because it sensitizes your opiate receptors so once it's out of your system you'll be extremely sensitive to opiates if you've been taking it for awhile. So if you've come off of it and want to get high again just, please, be EXTREMELY cautious.

Last edited:
Has anyone experienced any sexual side effects? I think I have, but there's so many other things like gabapentin for instance that could be affecting me. But how fun is being clean and sober if you can't bone once and a while XD. I hope it's not the vivitrol because it definately works for the heroin cravings for me.

Not very very sick .... Like fucking dyinnnggggg rapiddddddd eithdrawl. I went ten days no bupe before my shot and when I got the shit sent me into the worst detox wiyhdral ever. I compare it to my two week dope/fentanyl eithdrawl except done in a matter or 12 hours. Fucking hell I wanted to die.

Do not get that shot unless ur ten plus days clean ... U will regret it ...I did. Worst experience of my life

Tfield88 thank u for posting wht u knew abt the shot. I registered on this website just to thank u. I've been on it for 2 mos and am goin on vaca and very much want to drink. So Ur info helped me BC it's been 23 days so far since mylas shot and thanks to Ur info am able to make a decision to drink. I got the shot due to opiates. Never shot up jus snorted pills for ten effing yrs which blew by.. I was on subs before I took the shot and I'll tell anyone right now b clean before u get it! BC I only went 1 day off subs before getting and was deathly ill for like a week1/2 and did nothing but lay n bed. They say subs are the hardest to come off of over heroin or anything else. So take head!