• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Fenethylline

AlphaMethylPhenyl

Moderator: TDS
Staff member
Anyone heard of this one? Looks like a cup of coffee and adderall. Wikipedia states that 24.% of an oral dose is converted into amphetamine whilst 13.7% is converted to theophylline. Why would they make it schedule I? It seems as if every amphetamine congener is relegated to the most extreme restrictions possible. I can understand pulling fenfluramine from the market, for instance, but the other one that comes to mind is phenmetrazine.

It can't be more habit-forming and less useful (for practical purposes, mind) than desoxyn, can it. Dunno, I guess cocaine doesn't produce any sort of functional focus, so its possible that fenethylline doesn't either, though given its metaboltes I'm skeptical.

It's also a pro-drug, similar to vyvanse.

Some light reading: http://www.smarternootropics.com/2014/01/captagon-the-smart-drug-fuelling-syrias-civil-war/

I guess its been in use in the Syrian civil war, and is generally abused in the Middle East area.

Twenty years and one million bucks minimum for a first offense? Jeez, guess I won't be getting any captagon.

I remember reading somewhere that there are at least five other stimulant pro-drugs which are not in use. Seems like monopoly to me. And when vyvanse loses its patent in I-don't-know-how-long, some company will pull up one of these from the grave - that or they'll attach lysine to racemic amphetamine or another amino acid to dextroamphetamine.

Not a big fan of stimulant public policy/industry practices at the moment are you? ;) Can't say I blame you. Maybe the schedule 1 has something to do with the toxicity of theophylline? There was a big push to have it banned outright in the '90s.

Related: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1777371

Theophylline seems like a worse stimulant than caffeine even, or at best less potent.

I think that, getting away from advanced discussion here a bit, that we could honestly improve society by having a wider selection of stimulants for those who use them responsibly. Of course with more available there'll be more of a chance that we can idealize treatment. I'm sure at least some people would respond better to fenethylline than dextroamphetamine or dextromethamphetamine. I guess there just isn't enough formal research to know if its toxic though, but if those are the only two active metabolites I think the chance that its more toxic than methamphetamine is little to nill, but you're right, we don't know.

If there was a wider selection of stimulants available it would at least lead to more of a balance of power within the pharmaceutical industry. At best it could actually move thought itself into new directions, as the drugs have subtle distinctions in action for the most part. But when it comes to pro-drugs for amp I see a problem with just having one - monopoly. Looking at the list of most lucrative medications in the DITM section of bluelight I find vyvanse to be among the top fifty. I doubt it would cost nearly as much if clobenzorex was approved in many countries. Now I'm not necessarily for something like amfecloral, which splits into amp and chloral hydrate - the latter of which would just counter-act the improving-qualities of amp - but I think this is clear evidence that sometimes in big business the interests of the people get subverted by monetary incentive.

I'm also thinking about dextro- or racemic selegiline. It of course would have abuse potential but seems like a prominent candidate in substitution for people on a maoi and stimulant. The same goes for fenethylline when it comes to those who ingest caffeine with amp. Amfecloral might have use for people with terminal illnesses; might as well make them happy. I guess in some severe cases of whatever it could be useful. I guess I just overall don't see the point of making something schedule one just because pharmaceutical companies haven't developed them yet.

Also, though I appreciate government making substances which are blatant neurotoxins (at least in most cases) illegal, its not like people would be forced to ingest those substances if there were legal alternatives more readily available.

I know its more cost-efficient to manufacture adderall, vyvanse, dexedrine, and desoxyn instead of adding in ten more psychostimulants but is it really more cost-effective overall, as in after ten years will people just have put out a bunch of standardized thought or is there no real differential effect on quality and creativity of thought based on which stimulant (psychologically useful ones, not cocaine etc.) is used?

I think the practices of industry aren't horrible at the moment. I think that being more liberal when it comes to prescribing psychostimulants so long as there's no evidence of abuse and the person is using it to work, not masturbate and play video games and generally waste time is more beneficial than not; that is, so long as the dose is below that which causes known toxicity. I don't condone using it for anything but productivity, and these kind of habits keep one from increasing their dose and/or becoming addicted. I know in some countries use is severely limited; that's lead to a lot of illegal manufacture. It's a lot easier to ingest 200mg amp when you get .5g of power than if you get a prescription bottle of 20mg adderall. Not to mention the detrimental effects of all the fillers.

Benzphetamine and diethylpropion also come to mind, and perhaps phentermine. They aren't completely illegal and aren't schedule II substances as amp/meth are, and are used for weight management. Why not at least see if they're appropriate for adhd/narcolepsy/treatment-resistant depression? Bupropion, diethylpropions close cousin, is the closest thing to a "true" dopaminergic agent that's prescribed for depression. I've heard conflicting reports about is MOA, all agreeing that it is an NDRI, but one report I read said it decreases dopamine release while another stated that it pushes da out of the vesicle and into the synapse. It's also a nicotinic acetylcholline antagonist which definitely isn't good for cognition. Some find it good for attention, others don't. I didn't. In my case only a stim works. But why just one dopaminergic agent licensed for depression - notwithstanding moais and others such as venlafaxine which have weak dopaminergic effects at high doses?

I can't imagine giving up my cognition to chase a caustic high for five years.

As a caffeine addict I can honestly say that taking other xanthines has lead to an effect which felt as if I'd taken a few days off the coffee.

As a caffeine addict I can honestly say that taking other xanthines has lead to an effect which felt as if I'd taken a few days off the coffee.

Can you explain what you mean by this last part a bit more? Do you mean other xanthines essentially precipitated caffeine withdrawal?

Oh sorry. I meant that drinking tea with theophylline in it instead of coffee after drinking caffeine for so long lead to a feeling very similar to caffeine, almost indistinguishable from drinking coffee after a tolerance break.

Heard of it, I even fantasize about it.

It is/ or was till very recently very easy obtainable through your dr, if you were from Belgium. At least so it seemed, I am not from Belgium!

I read about it for the first time in Christiane F., a book about an drug addicted girl living in Germany during the time David Bowie was very "hot". They were into all sorts of drugs, except alcohol, graduating from pot and pills to shooting heroin. They were mixing uppers and downers like Captagon, Mandrax, Valium and ephedrine (which they likened very much unlike most of the bluelighters).

At the end they become junkies trying to find a easy way out using stuff like Valeron (tilidine). Realising there is no easy way out in the end. Sad story.

i've tried it on many occasions. it feels far less superior and potent to dextro/methamphetamine. plus it has a dirty streak about it where you're stimulated for the first 7 hours, and cracked out for another day or two.

you can't find real fenethyline anymore anyways, or at least it's very difficult. most of the stuff in the market has other adulterants. overall, not such a great drug by any means.

the bit in the pubmed study about it being less addictive is also questionable. captagon is very popular in saudi arabia and some estimate that they have one of the highest amphetamine addictions in the world.

So its better looking on paper then in reality. Some text on the internet from belgium says the vasocontriction of the amphetamin is counteracted by the vasodilation of the theophyllin. That and the fact its slow release looks like a winner. You sure you had the real thing, you probably are, just checking. Cracked out for 2 days seems like an awfull price to pay for 7 hours of fun. Like my post before mentioned Christiane F. liked ephedrine even more, so they had different standards then the people today spoiled with dex-amphetamin. But methylphenidate is very dirty imo and is used all the time. It cant be worse then that, can it?

Maybe dextro-fenethyllin would be an improvement, assuming the original is racemic?

i'm absolutely certain i've had the real thing. i lived in the region where it's predominantly produced. it does indeed have an almost negligible effect on blood pressure. you certainly don't feel your heart beating out of your chest like with dextro/methamphetamine.

fenethyline is actually in some ways similar to traditional amphetamines used in the west, but only for a short period of time, at a very weak potency. my guess would be that the extremely wired effect it induces is the result of the theophyline rather than amphetamine. it's also very potent stuff, mg to mg. a quarter of a small pill the size of a valium can keep you up for days. long haul truck drivers use it in abundance.

When I first arrived in Thailand in 1982, you could buy Captagon made by Asta Pharma, Hamburg, Germany, right off the shelf in every pharmacy in the country. At first, I used it together with alcohol to enhance any evening on the town so to speak. It was definitely an effective way to switch any party into high gear and keep it that way all night long. But later, I used it on a regular basis in controlled doses of one or two pills a day, to improve motivation and focus on the many creative projects I was involved in during the 80s.
In that respect, it led to the most successful and productive years of my life. Some projects I undertook had the potential to be dull and tedious because the subject matter was very dry and or the quantity of information I had to digest and present in an easy-to-understand format was overwhelming. But the Captagon transformed feelings of tedium into enthusiasm.
By the end of the 80s, Asta Pharma stopped exporting the drug under pressure from the WHO who were being pressured by the US government under Ronald Reagan. I bought up some of the last reserves in Thailand which lasted me into the mid-90s. After that, there was a product marketed in Thailand called Acta which claimed to be fenethylline and while not as good as Captagon, nevertheless continued to contribute towards my creative productivity.
Around 1997, this product was removed from the shelves of the few pharmacies that stocked it by pharmacists who feared repercussions from the Taksin government in Thailand that had taken upon itself to commit extrajudicial murder of anyone involved with the importation of methamphetamine pills from Burma - and by anyone, I mean, the low men on the totem pole who led the mules through the jungles carrrying the pills or were involved in low level distribution in the cities, not the bigwigs who controlled the drug trade in Thailand as these guys were all highly placed police, military and political figures.
So, by the end of the 90s, with Captagon or fenethylline no longer available, I turned to the meth pills from Burma. Most users were recreational and tended to crush the pills and smoke them. But I found the most effective approach was to swallow the pills. The Thais were horrified that I would ingest them as they ostensibly contained high levels of arsenic and other potentially lethal substances. Perhaps they did, but I was never negatively affected and my productivity remained high. The only problem now was the stimulating effects were stronger and I experienced chronic sleep deprivation. For years, I never actually slept. Rather my body would crash after days without sleep. I suppose I averaged 4 or 5 days between 'crashing' with the low being 3 days and the high being a week or more. Constant visual hallucinations became normal for me - still images were animated, waves of insects ran across floors - but none of it was uncomfortable or too distracting. The tricks my eyes played didn't affect my design and illustration work. In fact, I often saw images on the computer screen with amazing clarity. Only occasionally didn't my brain 'lock up' or 'rotate 180 degrees' which are varying manifestations of psychotic states. The solution at this point would be to take a few valiums which would put me to sleep and reset my brain.
The only outwardly negative reaction to this regimen of stimulant use was a tendency to get angry quickly in certain circumstances. Eventually, I was less inclined to compromise with company management and clients which is not so good for business obviously. But all of this is after more than 20 years of regular use. And the more serious side effects came from prolonged use of the methamphetamine pills, never the Capatagon.
I'm now in my mid-60s and still taking Adderall (after trying Ritalin and Dexedrine which did nothing for me) with occasional forays into crystal meth (in small controlled doses) to increase euphoria and motivation that I seldom experience from Adderall. I think I'll give Vyvanse a try next time I see my doctor but the fact remains, after all these years, nothing compares to the positive results I experienced from regular controlled dosages of Capatagon or fenethylline. It truly was a SMART DRUG.

I think that, getting away from advanced discussion here a bit, that we could honestly improve society by having a wider selection of stimulants for those who use them responsibly. Of course with more available there'll be more of a chance that we can idealize treatment. I'm sure at least some people would respond better to fenethylline than dextroamphetamine or dextromethamphetamine. I guess there just isn't enough formal research to know if its toxic though, but if those are the only two active metabolites I think the chance that its more toxic than methamphetamine is little to nill, but you're right, we don't know.

If there was a wider selection of stimulants available it would at least lead to more of a balance of power within the pharmaceutical industry. At best it could actually move thought itself into new directions, as the drugs have subtle distinctions in action for the most part. But when it comes to pro-drugs for amp I see a problem with just having one - monopoly. Looking at the list of most lucrative medications in the DITM section of bluelight I find vyvanse to be among the top fifty. I doubt it would cost nearly as much if clobenzorex was approved in many countries. Now I'm not necessarily for something like amfecloral, which splits into amp and chloral hydrate - the latter of which would just counter-act the improving-qualities of amp - but I think this is clear evidence that sometimes in big business the interests of the people get subverted by monetary incentive.

I'm also thinking about dextro- or racemic selegiline. It of course would have abuse potential but seems like a prominent candidate in substitution for people on a maoi and stimulant. The same goes for fenethylline when it comes to those who ingest caffeine with amp. Amfecloral might have use for people with terminal illnesses; might as well make them happy. I guess in some severe cases of whatever it could be useful. I guess I just overall don't see the point of making something schedule one just because pharmaceutical companies haven't developed them yet.

Also, though I appreciate government making substances which are blatant neurotoxins (at least in most cases) illegal, its not like people would be forced to ingest those substances if there were legal alternatives more readily available.

I know its more cost-efficient to manufacture adderall, vyvanse, dexedrine, and desoxyn instead of adding in ten more psychostimulants but is it really more cost-effective overall, as in after ten years will people just have put out a bunch of standardized thought or is there no real differential effect on quality and creativity of thought based on which stimulant (psychologically useful ones, not cocaine etc.) is used?

I think the practices of industry aren't horrible at the moment. I think that being more liberal when it comes to prescribing psychostimulants so long as there's no evidence of abuse and the person is using it to work, not masturbate and play video games and generally waste time is more beneficial than not; that is, so long as the dose is below that which causes known toxicity. I don't condone using it for anything but productivity, and these kind of habits keep one from increasing their dose and/or becoming addicted. I know in some countries use is severely limited; that's lead to a lot of illegal manufacture. It's a lot easier to ingest 200mg amp when you get .5g of power than if you get a prescription bottle of 20mg adderall. Not to mention the detrimental effects of all the fillers.

Benzphetamine and diethylpropion also come to mind, and perhaps phentermine. They aren't completely illegal and aren't schedule II substances as amp/meth are, and are used for weight management. Why not at least see if they're appropriate for adhd/narcolepsy/treatment-resistant depression? Bupropion, diethylpropions close cousin, is the closest thing to a "true" dopaminergic agent that's prescribed for depression. I've heard conflicting reports about is MOA, all agreeing that it is an NDRI, but one report I read said it decreases dopamine release while another stated that it pushes da out of the vesicle and into the synapse. It's also a nicotinic acetylcholline antagonist which definitely isn't good for cognition. Some find it good for attention, others don't. I didn't. In my case only a stim works. But why just one dopaminergic agent licensed for depression - notwithstanding moais and others such as venlafaxine which have weak dopaminergic effects at high doses?

I can't imagine giving up my cognition to chase a caustic high for five years.

Benzphetamine was legal until not so long ago, Elvis dying on the toilet because he was taking too much Dilaudid and Demerol (along Benzphetamine and Dexedrine) kind of made the thing fade away, he died trying to crap, from all the opiates, I mean, god, it's when they used to make Dilaudid dosed higher than 8mg, I think the next step was 12 or 16?, I know I saw one of his prescription from a doctor which is legit circa 1975;is the truth..sorry for the loonies who think the "King" is alive...those who first said that said it as a way of saying, his music is still alive, so he's still alive, you know, like Kurt Cobain, who nevermind being a millionaire after forming a small band in a northern pacific redneck town 2 albums in only, and even richer with his band's third (and best by far) album, when the first PPI was invented, his started using a lot less, when Prilosec (we call it Losec here, but its so old, its rarely prescribed even in generic form here, most common PPI people get here as a generic is Pantoprazole (called Pantoloc in Canada, not sure about the US), then Nexium. As for myself I find Pantoprazole totally useless and once the pharmacist or the technician made an error on my first PPI script, which was Pantoprazole, of course, and there was Omeprazole in it, I called them to say, hmm, I got 30 purple and grey gelcaps that say omeprazole on them, and they said oh sorry it's an error, you can bring them back, but after trying it, I was like finally something that works, so I got Nexium prescribed and now Dexilant a little after generic Nexium showed up, I wanted to try the new kid on the block and my insurance paid for it...) Ahem, anyway, the guy was a millionaire, he could have had a doctor prescribe him mountains of oxycodone, morphine, whatever yet he was still staying in shitty hotels and using tar ffs smoking mostly (if you know enough about him, when his stomach problems were gone, he still had the scoliosis back pain, hence his stance when playing guitar where he was a bit of a hunchback). but he would still IV from time to time...I'm from eastern Canada, we barely get heroin at all here, and when its here, its so expensive, finding someone who sells brand name Dilaudid 4's or 8's to shoot up would be a lot more useful if you want something to shoot up, even HydromorphContins once processed, but the though of IV'ing tar is so disgusting to me, I know what it looks like thanks to places like here or similar, I'd smoke it like I'd smoke hash oil, but that'd be the end of it for me.

As for diethylproprion I never heard of it, I don't know if we ever had that in Canada, but as of now, we do not even have Xenecal anymore, all weight loss drugs are removed, we used to have Phentermine still not long ago, but it's gone, although it might reappear, there's this strange drug called Topamax that's got a multitude of approved uses, and it indeed made someone I know lose a lot of weight, fast, so they use that now sometimes, Health Canada is studying a Topamax/Phentermine combination pill that some giant pharma company is trying to push through, it would make Topiramate and phentermine bring them money again, I know 3 people who have taken Topamax, one for a prophylaxis for migraines and she said it helped (it's also her who lost what made her chubby to totally slim), 2 others were for seizures. It's got strange side effects, all 3 told me it made sodas taste awful, the regular ones with sugar, may it be cane sugar or the shit known as high fructose corn syrup.

I necro'd this to say, I don't think it's always bad to use amps in a recreational way, think of how it improved the performance of metal and punk bands in the 80's and early 90's, there's this show from Pantera in 1990 in Moscow where I mean, I see bands that exist since the 80's and not many have that stage charisma and energy they used to have, and a lot of it was because they were pumped on stimulants and alcohol at the same time. Even straight edge bands loved to see not-so straight edge bands like Bad Religion in the late 80's, of course they were friends with a ton of other bands, west or east coast, didn't matter, but Dr. Greg Graffin (vocals, songwriting) always was around to shoot their friends their dose of speed (amps not meth, apparently it was common in California to have powder d-amp or maybe racemic like they get in the UK) because of all the energy and knowing how to pump up a crowd was so easy in that 250 max occupancy showbar...well okay, show bar or a club,whatever, if you insist Firefox, I think it's an actual word.

Although I'd hate UK's street amps being 50-50. I already hate Adderal and it only comes as XR up here, because of the 23% levo-amphetamine that made my heart beat way way too fast and I had a script for the 25mg XR, I can't imagine what a 25mg IR does, let alone the 30mg XR...but that dose, 30mg XR a girl who was in the scene (punk/hardcore/metal scene) who partied a lot with me and our little group then, she was a bit of a dingbat, had only 6-7th grade education, I meet 4 years ago and she's on Adderal XR 30mg and she went through grade 7,8,9,10 french,math, english in under 2 years, I was surprised, she also had less of those stare at nothing stares she would have sometimes (she snorted a lot of PCP, it took a while for her to lose the side effects from that). So yeah, if it agrees with one's body, it does, for me, I had to change to Dexedrine, 2x10mg spansules in the morning, 2x5mg IR (too bad the yellow 10mg IR's do not exist anymore) and it was brand name Dexedrine, no generic company makes the stuff here, which I hear is good, on a forum with similar colours as here for people with ADD/ADHD and all its subdivisions, (I was clearly and likely am in need of Desoxyn but they don't allow it here, Canada's laws on amphetamines are really harsh, I lost my very last Dexedrine script because the renewing date was past a week or so so it was more than a year (and here scripts are good for a year, nevermind if you still have refills), told the technicians I'd call when an actual pharmacist was there(I didn't argue much because I was already stocking up on all my scripts since I'm done with college, my doctor renewed without even thinking for 12 months for 2 other years after that, so I got a lot in a stash leftover...don't PM me for any, LEO's, by the way),but they seemed to have fun telling me I could not renew my bad highly scheduled medicine. Well it's more like Health Canada changed the guidelines and any amphetamine related drug, generic or not (we do have generic adderal as "Mix of Amphetamine Salts", you can't have a script for a year anymore, you got to go see your doctor every 3 months now, same as they did with opiates in most cases where only 1 refill is possible with all opiates, exceptions are chronic pain patients, but they already go to the pain clinic every few month..so anyway coming back to amps, it seems that when I would "abuse" street meth pills like we have here, no crystal meth here, there's some out-west and a bit in Ontario I hear but that's it, I would usually eat a quarter of an illicit pill I knew had safe ingredients, solely d-meth, but I had to put a stop to that when my guy was always changing prints and when a certain batch seemed like it contained PMMA and almost killed me, I never touched stimulants again, and likely never will, the comedown is so harsh to me that even 1mg triazolam from just 20mg worth of 10mg spansules barely gets me rid of the extreme depression (which is why I stopped using it, even in my last year of my BSc., I started using it only to study long hours, not take it everyday. I think Dexedrine makes Vyvanse a superfluous medication even if it gets to 70mg, people into stimulants here drool a lot more for Biphentins 80mg (gelcaps with beads in them that contain MPH), these are Canada only I think, Concerta is not very popular here because Bipĥentin showed up a lot before. We don't have dex-mph (Focalin?) though...I had a ritalin and mortared & pestled Biphentin snorter turn down free 25 10mg Dexedrine Spansules. I'm not sure if he even knew legal speed existed, to most people that stops with Ritalin/Biphentin/Concerta, because they will try that first.

I was "lucky", Ritalin 10mg bid gave me seizures and a bout of psychosis, the only time in my life I felt like I was losing it, and I've dosed 300 times LSD in my life minimum, so the next thing in line was Dexedrine and I kept with that for 5 years more or less.

Although boy did they help make everything in life easier before my body became sick of stimulants, I already can't handle coffee. As for asthma, yeah, there is pills for asthma, they have theophyline in them and they work, I took them as a kid, didn't have a daily inhaler, just a rescue bronchodilatator, theophyline helped my baseball skills a lot I got to say ¬_¬

It's funny though how Gaddafi was right when he said the "rebels", the ones who were being given Captagon by the Qataris mostly, not a lot of indigenous Lybians wanted to revolt, they only started to go against their own interest when out of their minds on these. The media laughed at Gaddafi's assertions but he was completely right, I'm sure his country was completely drug free (as in, illicit ones) and if there was a spark of use of something, he would have known. Gaddafi was a false-boogeyman who did everything to please the US, which worked for a while, but Hitlery even put American lives in danger for those who had started businesses in Lybia. Just listen to a podcast by the Moriarty couple, this one is particularly good : James and Joanne Moriarty : Lybia

Sorry to necro, but I just learned of Captagon from an interview that followed this one. Also the interviewer is a P.I./Digital Forensics Investigator, even if he thinks some of the people he talks to are claiming bullshit, he'll let em say it and it on record to haunt them forever if they lied. He's not some aggressive podcaster type of guy who would go "Wouldn't you think people would say you are domestic terrorists for trying to build a business that would profit Gaddafi even indirectly?" "I'm just asking questions here"

Last edited:
Caffeine (trimethylxanthine) is metabolized mainly to paraxanthine (dimethylxanthine) with very low theobro,mine and theophylline (dimethylxanthine)

Considering caffeines primary metabolite and theophylline differ onto on the placement of one methyl group i could see the government banning theophylline and all xanthine analogues while deinking coffee to stay up to pass the bill because it bw coming from the guys who think kratom is from the opium plant and gets you trashed and rohypnol is the main date rape drug not alcohol

Why would they make it schedule I?

Since no one ever answered this question, I'll take a crack at it...

Based on their interpretation of the CSA, the DEA has asserted that controlled substances lacking a currently accepted medical use in the USA (i.e., FDA approval) cannot be listed in schedules II-V.

So their logic is that if a drug hasn't been found to have medical use, put it in a schedule that makes it really hard to actually test it for medical use?

^Their view is that the DEA is supposed to implement the statute as it was written by congress.

According to the CSA, some drugs have to be classified as schedule I (no medical use, high potential for abuse). So fenethylline would probably have been made schedule I even if the DEA interpreted the law differently. The real grey area exists for drugs with "moderate or low potential for abuse", such as MDMA.

Last edited:
Is there a specific outlined process for determining a drug's abuse potential (a standard paradigm used to compare heroin to morphine?) and an outlined process to determine therapeutic potential? I feel like medical uses for LSD/psilocybin have been demonstrated...

For example, I'm under the impression that psilocybin could have a lot of use in treating neurosis in cancer patients, and I don't see it as having "high abuse potential", however that is defined, but it sounds like the medical use component is the issue at hand.

What do you think is the hold up? Do we put on our tinfoil hats and claim pharmaceutical company conspiracy, or are the people that make the laws still in the reefer madness era?

Or is it just that a drug being schedule I by default makes it really hard to do research that can prove legitimate medical use for something like DMT? It seems like that's a "guilty until proven innocent" approach, which sounds great unless being presumed guilty also means no access to a lawyer (not being able to do research with psychedelics).

Also, as prescription abuse is wreaking havoc, I feel the actual differences between heroin and prescription opioids should be discussed... Is heroin capable of producing abusable effects of a quality that can't be seen by raising the dosage of a prescription opioid?

Last edited:
I don't think it's a conspiracy at all the laws make no sense because they are written by people and voting on people who have no idea what they are or do.
They could all be very intelligent but if they don't know what they are regulating they are going to basically make no sense.

I know absolute nothing about taxes if I was made in charge of voting and writing g laws for the general good of the people while I consider myself atleast reasonably intelligent my laws would be uhh

1. Getting out of paying taxes is bad
2. Making a business out of helping people get out of taxes is even more bad.
3. Uhhh if we believe you are of paying enough tax we can search all of your personal stuff for evidence so long as we have a reasonable suspicion
4. Uhhh if u have tons of cash I will assume your trying g to avoid taxes and take it until you prove otherwise.

Idk if this analogy made sense basically you can't get logic from rules written by people who know little of what they are writing and voting about.

Anyway I think the xanthine like the amino acid on vyvanse it just serves as a way to call it a new drug same amphetamine

Is there a specific outlined process for determining a drug's abuse potential (a standard paradigm used to compare heroin to morphine?) and an outlined process to determine therapeutic potential? I feel like medical uses for LSD/psilocybin have been demonstrated...

Abuse potential determinations are made in relation to other controlled drugs. One way that can be done is to conduct a study where healthy volunteers are given doses of a novel drug and asked to compare it to other drugs, such as opiates, benzodiazepines, barbiturates, amphetamine, etc...
If a drug has been approved by the FDA then it is viewed as having an accepted medical use in the USA.

For example, I'm under the impression that psilocybin could have a lot of use in treating neurosis in cancer patients, and I don't see it as having "high abuse potential", however that is defined, but it sounds like the medical use component is the issue at hand.

What do you think is the hold up? Do we put on our tinfoil hats and claim pharmaceutical company conspiracy, or are the people that make the laws still in the reefer madness era?

Or is it just that a drug being schedule I by default makes it really hard to do research that can prove legitimate medical use for something like DMT? It seems like that's a "guilty until proven innocent" approach, which sounds great unless being presumed guilty also means no access to a lawyer (not being able to do research with psychedelics).

Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time and money to run clinical trials.

Do you think there any companies interested in developing/patenting a psychedelic similar to psilocybin/DMT/LSD? Is depression the best indication to pursue FDA approval with?

If a psychedelic were to be approved, would the prescribing guidelines or something dictate protocols like "must be given by a nurse in xyz context"?

Last edited: