• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

"Mind if I shoot up?"

Darby

Greenlighter
Did a search and couldn't really find anything specific on this - yeah, there's some discussion about it in the double standards thread, but I wanna talk about this specifically.

My circle of friends aren't needle users - one formerly, but that's it - but they aren't really hostile to the idea of most drugs. A lot of times we'll chill together and someone will pull out a joint and pass it around, or everyone will bring their own to the party we'll get pretty numb. It's times like this that I just want to ask that question "Mind if I shoot up?" Everyone else is relaxing, having a fun time, right? I hate having to go to some bathroom just so I can use one of my preferred drugs with my preferred ROA, but I feel like I'd upset people if I actually asked. Heroin is relaxing, not unlike weed in my eyes - the needle is just another way to get it into the body. Sometimes we'll score a little cocaine - it's cool to snort it and all, but it's just not my thing. I'm most comfortable with the needle. I don't judge my friends for anything, but I have to hide part of who I am.

Anyone else just wish they could shoot up, without being looked down upon? Anyone find a group of non-needle users who are comfortable with you shooting up around them? If so, how did it start?

Ha yes definitely understand this one.
There's a guy I see sometimes, I get to kinda lounge about while he smokes meth, and really wish I could just break out my own thing but a lot of people are quite uncomfortable with that. He knows I do it but the furthest I ever went was using the bathroom one day.
Years ago, some of my friends started using ketamine with needles (IM), I was the first, closely followed by my best friend at the time. And while most of everyone I knew used that drug, one of which was REALLY bad with it (like 12 vials per week average, but he snorted it), the injection thing drew a huge dividing line between everyone, to the Point some people would say things like "don't shoot up in my house" (even the bathroom) and while I didn't give a shit since I got high at home, others got irritated and would do it just because they were told not to.
Interesting on the weed thing - I also view chronic stoners as similar to junkies - far as "motivation" is concerned (reasons) and the whole life not seeming worthwhile without. Most people would think that's a massive jump and stretching it, but I have a number of stoner friends and some of the shit they say is undeniably quite similar to things I think.

Interesting topic.

Just few minutes ago I told this girl over the phone that we could do speed tomorrow together, but she couldnt shoot. Its just something im not comfortable with and it seems to be one factor that separates people with drug problem from recreational users. Iv is something where i draw the limit.
I dont judge though.

Hey, man. I don't judge IV users whatsoever! But, nah! No way, mang. You can't shoot up around me. That's grimey, yo!

Pfff. You ain't foolin' no one, kid.

I've only run into a few situations where I was hanging out with people who wanted to shoot up, mainly because I just haven't been friends with IV users. It's definitely something I'm uncomfortable with though. Just so far out of responsible use... Maybe not for 100% of people but anyone I knew.

A few times I've just had to deal with it. Like hanging out with my one friend who was really addicted to opiates after fucked up back surgery. One time I was with this girl and we drove to buy H, and when we got back to my house she got me to let her shoot up before she left... anyway, she took too damn long prepping the shot so I made her go to her car because she was making me late.

So I'll put up with it to an extent, cause I like to do drugs in people's presence, and wouldn't want to feel ashamed about it, but I don't encourage it, and I won't make any special exceptions (like making me late, or buying needles or something).

Last edited:
I feel your pain, but at the same time I would probably feel uncomfortable shooting up in front of people who aren't used to it. I'm guessing they would stare at me and I don't like being watched like that.

On the other hand, way before I ever used needles, I'm sure I would not have had a problem with someone shooting up in front of me. As long as they knew what they were doing. I don't want to be responsible for some idiot shooting up for the first time without any guidance, but if someone with a habit asked I'm sure I would have been fine with it. I guess maybe I'm more open minded than a lot of people. I try not to judge other people's choices but it seems like others constantly judge me for mine. :(

The only time I've been around people shooting up it was in their residence, soo...

I think the stigma of the ROA, resulting from statistics about bloodborne diseases and improper needle use (sharing, inexperience leading to arterial injection etc.) combined with the graphic nature of it all contribute. I mean, besides seeing someone inject themselves with often shitty technique, would you want to watch someone try to register over and over again since their veins have receded? Or watch them clean up any mess afterwards?

Personally IDGAF if other people shoot up and if someone wanted to do it in my own home I'd let them. I would probably ask them to do it in private though unless they were an extremely close friend. So far, none of my close friends IV.

If I didn't know the person well, it would definitely weird me out, simply due to the stigma associated with it and the wonder of what kind of person this may be. If it were a friend that I knew well and cared for, I wouldn't mind as much being in the room, but I would prefer not to be the person responsible for his/her life should something go wrong (I know I would feel responsible later).
In either case though, I think if I were to cross paths with someone injecting I would suggest they don't go to the bathroom to do it in private. I'd rather undergo the slight awkwardness of the situation than to suddenly wonder after 20-30 minutes where that person went and find them in the bathroom unresponsive.

Most of my friends are not needle users and they do not mind if I shoot up amongst them. I always ask first though, it's common courtesy. I've gotten different kinds of reactions, from a straight up "hell no" to "yea sure, mind if I watch?". I don't mind either reply to be honest, if I am in someone else's home I respect their rules. People that don't shoot up themselves have mostly been curious about it.

However, most of the time I prefer to shoot up in a secluded spot. I do not want people looking at me when I do it, it bothers me.

I don't like shooting up in front of other people really, even if they shoot up themselves. I've only shot up with two people in my life.

I never did get involved with the needle but my friends and I used to always eat opiates. Very few began shooting and would do it in front of us. I actually helped one hit a vein. Not going to lie, it's pretty weird if you've never been around that before and someone just wips out their rig. Someone who has never seen someone shoot up is probably going to be worried that you will die right then and there, honestly even though I was around it a good number of times I'd always keep an eye on the shooters just to make sure they were alright.

Hey, man. I don't judge IV users whatsoever! But, nah! No way, mang. You can't shoot up around me. That's grimey, yo!

Pfff. You ain't foolin' no one, kid.

Lol it's depends on the situation I guess no dumb just pull my rig out and do it whenever kinda scary to non users it's like getting ready to watch someone die.

Most of my friends are not needle users and they do not mind if I shoot up amongst them. I always ask first though, it's common courtesy. I've gotten different kinds of reactions, from a straight up "hell no" to "yea sure, mind if I watch?". I don't mind either reply to be honest, if I am in someone else's home I respect their rules. People that don't shoot up themselves have mostly been curious about it.

However, most of the time I prefer to shoot up in a secluded spot. I do not want people looking at me when I do it, it bothers me.

This is spot on for me, except the line i put in bold. I have a fair share of friends who use IV drugs, and even a handful that prefer me to hit them because of my skillz yo ;)

I definitely feel people on the being uncomfortable shooting around others, but I think that may be more a function of assuming they are passing some kind of judgement (and having a good chance of being correct), and that's the kind of thing I think it'd be nice to get away from. At the very least, it'd be practical in terms of overdose prevention - I always carry naloxone, but it isn't that much help if no one knows I'm shooting, let alone carry the stuff that could save my (or someone else's) life. I've shot up in front of people who were very open minded about it (and even helped a friend IV some DMT, haha) and felt perfectly comfortable in those situations. I guess it's all a matter of finding the right crowd.

I mean, besides seeing someone inject themselves with often shitty technique, would you want to watch someone try to register over and over again since their veins have receded? Or watch them clean up any mess afterwards?

Yeah, it would be slightly depressing to watch someone with recessed veins try to shoot up with shit technique, but that sounds more like a dope-sickness scenario - someone with a more serious problem. If you know what you are doing and are just looking to have a good time with friends? I think people should be a little more open.

it seems to be one factor that separates people with drug problem from recreational users. Iv is something where i draw the limit.
I dont judge though.

True, and it is a good way to get into a drug problem. On the other hand, doing it openly would at least make your friends more aware of your use pattern. Maybe give them a chance to help you out before things get out of hand?

Last edited:
Lol it's depends on the situation I guess no dumb just pull my rig out and do it whenever kinda scary to non users it's like getting ready to watch someone die.

Not really. More like getting ready to watch someone get high as balls.
It's like this one situation where this chick would be willing to drive me into the hood if I paid her, watched me cop and all. (Dumbest thing I ever did, cause if we got pulled over she would squeal like a piggy. I was desperate though)
But if I were to ask her if I could shoot up she would throw a fit.. Which is why I shot up in the backseat anyway, without asking. lol.

Great topic. Yeah I have many friends who would lose it, but others who would probably start up, after watching and others including my dealer who are like, sure man I'll join ya. I guess it's a fine line cause I often feel hitting it after we score, but typically just go home and shoot. I hate it when people want to smoke it before splitting it up cause it's such a waste. I also hate being around people who are tripping when I'm not. So, I guess I have some hang ups too.

Ha, I mean.. you can't really blame casual drug users and normal, non IV'ers, for being uncomfortable and not wanting you to whip out a needle and jab yourself in front of them. I have some friends where I can fix in front of, some where I can't. Getting up and going to the bathroom to do my thing really isn't a big deal or too much of an inconvenience, and it's just the polite thing to do if you're with people who aren't into that kinda shit, even if they know you do it, it's different than them wanting to actually see it done in front of them..

Think of it from a normal persons point of view.. IV'ing is disgusting, man. Hah. If you don't do it, and get that world, it is not a pleasant thing to watch at all.

^^especially if you bleed quite a bit..

I try to keep my iv use as secretive as possible.

A buddy of mine bleeds like a stuck pig.. I hate shooting him up. He literally bleeds out like a water fountain?
Me? I might have a dribble of blood come out, but nothing like that ^

Some asshat almost died shooting H and K (same shot, mainlined) in the bathroom of my college apartment years ago.

I asked him not to shoot K (it was his first time using it). I had to call emergency services and shit it was a fucking nightmare.

So since then I really prefer people to keep the needles shit away from my life.